HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stepan was good last night

Old
10-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I believe he's 3rd in rookie scoring so far. And he's played a game or 2 less than the 2 above him.
Not sure if somebody mentioned this as well, but Letestu has Crosby and Malkin to help him out. Carlson has Ovechkin, Backstrom and Semin to pass the puck up to.

Stepan, won't be playing with Gaborik for another two weeks. He plays with Avery and Dubinsky.

He's the better rookie so far.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:08 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Not sure if somebody mentioned this as well, but Letestu has Crosby and Malkin to help him out. Carlson has Ovechkin, Backstrom and Semin to pass the puck up to.

Stepan, won't be playing with Gaborik for another two weeks. He plays with Avery and Dubinsky.

He's the better rookie so far.
I agree. Standing out as a rookie on this team, of all teams, is all the more impressive.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:30 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
No one likes Stepan more than me. But people need to remember, he played the last two years in college. Even if you include the games he played at the World Juniors, etc he still hasn't played anything near an 82 game season. We should expect him to hit a wall somewhere between 45-60 games. Hopefully, he'll get a second wind at the end of the season. Regardless, his PPG pace, whatever it is at the mid-way point, will most likely take a significant hit. If he leads the team in scoring at the end of the season, it will mean no other Ranger player will be over 65 points or something. Which is a distinct possibility depending on what happens with Gabby. If Gabby is out, other, not as gifted offensive players will be keyed on by other teams.
Me!!!

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:15 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
If Stepan leads this team in points we have major major problems...

Dont get me wrong, i love the kid.
I hate to be the bearer but...Houston we have major problems. Haha. It's possible. I would efinitely say no way but I acknowledge with this team the way it is it's actually possible. Stranger things have happenned.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
I hate to be the bearer but...Houston we have major problems. Haha. It's possible. I would efinitely say no way but I acknowledge with this team the way it is it's actually possible. Stranger things have happenned.
I would say it depends what total it takes to lead our team this year. If Stepan does with 80 some-odd points, then that's both fantastic and perfectly fine. If he were to do it with 50 some-odd points, then that's fantastic for him but awful for the team.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:30 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
If Stepan ends up with 98 points this season, I will **** into a frying pan and feed it my grandmother on live TV for all to see.

I love him, but it's not happening.
Never said it would happen. Since we're talking about hypothetical's though....

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Pizza

I think its been five games and I'm pretty happy with him so far.

He seems like a good kid with a lot of potential....but it's five games.

I'm trying to manage expectations.

That's about it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:44 AM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Me!!!

LOL Rico I see beautiful things in the future with Stepan and Krieder who skates like heck and has a touch around the net. But then again what do I know

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:55 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I just want to say, I got home from the bar (forgetting that I posted in this thread, of course), and saw this, and seriously started laughing out loud about the responses. That said, if he hits 98 points, consider grandma the sacrificial Rangers lamb...he's worth it (I never really liked her anyway, her crumb cake SUCKED)

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:11 PM
JerseyRangers

Last nite was a perfect example of what makes Stepan special. In the offensive zone he rarely, if ever, forces a bad pass where one doesn't exist. When the other team is pressing he seems to be in the right place at the right time to knock the puck away. Toward the end when he came back and broke up that play in his own zone was just incredible. Nine outta 10 players would have redirected that into the corner or onto their own net. Derek managed to knock the pass down make the turn in front of the King and start the play up the other way. Very, very few veterans would have handled that situation better. The announcers raved about the play but what they didn't tell you is that there isn't one center on the Rangers that would have made that same play. Just a great hockey play. Like many of the posters here I am trying to figure out who to compare him too. I think someone mentioned Craig Janney - not a bad comparison except that Janney never, ever played d. That defensive play last nite reminded me of Broten. Anyway, the kid just keeps on impressing. Its only a matter of time before he's got the C.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:07 AM
NYRangers16

Am I the only one who noticed Stepan miss coverage in front of the net in both games? He was late getting to Kovalchuk by the net yesterday, and in Boston he totally forgot to pick up Horton in front of the net.

I still think he's so smart he knows exactly where to be, especially in the offensive zone, but he isn't perfect yet. He's still a rookie after all.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:16 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Am I the only one who noticed Stepan miss coverage in front of the net in both games? He was late getting to Kovalchuk by the net yesterday, and in Boston he totally forgot to pick up Horton in front of the net.

I still think he's so smart he knows exactly where to be, especially in the offensive zone, but he isn't perfect yet. He's still a rookie after all.
Nope. Not that he was primarily the one at fault, but he was lax on his check when Kovalchuk scored. Overall I thought he had a rough game.

But it is to be expected. He will learn from it.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:17 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post

did notice, but honestly the Kovy goal was more staal's fault than stepan's.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

going to be growing pains this whole year but i think we can expect a long and productive career from this kid...barring any injuries

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:32 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He's doing fine, imo. Has to adjust to many things on and off the ice at this level

10-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
did notice, but honestly the Kovy goal was more staal's fault than stepan's.
Yeah, there were actually two Devils open on that play...Kovalchuk by the side of the net, and Prust was closer to him than Stepan was. Then another Devil was in the slot and Stepan was kind of inbetween him and the net.

Can't say I'd pin that one on Stepan, the coverage in general was kind of messed up and it was a great play by Zubrus that made it work out

At any rate, you can tell he's still adjusting, but he tends to get a couple of good chances per game, which is pretty impressive for a rookie

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:36 AM
mullichicken25

if we're really going to get into the particulars about the Kovy goal the blame has to fall on the forward who coughed the puck up near hte point (prust?)

we were caught in bad position with Kovalchuk infront of the net

yeah maybe stepan or staal could have possiblly saved the play, but when you turn the puck over in that position, with a goal scorer like him on the ice, 9 out of 10 times thats a goal

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Levitate

It was Prust, and it was cuz the pass from Rozsival (was it banked off the boards? Can't remember) came to him awkwardly and bounced off his skate

Honestly it was just one of those things that happen in a hockey game, and it took a really great pass by Zubrus for the Devils to capitalize on it

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Prust fell down on the play, Kovy would have been his guy but he drifted back after the fact.

Now Stepper, as the center, needs to be the third defenseman at times and one could argue he failed in his duties there; but it was the one goal we gave up in the game, it was an unfortunate combination of plays, and a great play on the part of Zubrus so i'm not going to lose any sleep over a 20 year old straight from college rookie mistake.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
NYRangers16

Yea there will be growing pains def...I do love how the puck finds him all over the ice.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:56 AM
HockeyBurd*

Gaborik will probably be around a PPG. And he'll probably play around 70 games if we're lucky. So 70-80 pts from him is pretty much a God send.

Other than that, I don't see why anybody would be convinced that Stepan can't approach 60-70 pts. It would be very impressive. But has been quite impressive given it's his first few weeks of professional hockey. The idea that he can't improve considerably as the season moves on is absurd. And he has already been one of the obvious offensive standouts for the Rangers. He hasn't been lighting it up on the PP. But it has been clear in his last few games that the PP could end up being the place where he does his best work for the team. If you see his PP time increase, in addition to his comfort level and confidence moving along, I could see him being one of the top 2-3 scorers on the team without it indicating big problems for the Rangers. And possibly quite the opposite depending on how close Dubinsky, Anisimov, Frolov end up being.

Maybe he ends up getting 40-50 in a fairly good rookie season. But I really wouldn't be shocked to see him approach 65-70 if things go well and he sees PP time and some time on the top 2 lines.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:03 PM
McRanger

Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

Staal, Rosie and and to a lesser extent Stepan were all partially responsible. Rosie and Staal were both down low with Zubrus and for whatever reason Rosie follows Zubrus to Staal's side and covers him leaving the right side open. Staal then gets trapped in no man's land and doesn't pick up Kovalchuk until too late. Stepan had his man but was a bit too high and kind of coasted back.

That is a situation where I might expect a veteran to be make the smart play there, but it is a bit much to ask of a rookie. It took a bit of luck and a phenomenal pass to create the goal. I am sure the coaches will show him the tape.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Sockosensei

C'mon people, he's never going to develop into a player. 6 full games now without a hattrick.
Ship him off to Dallas for Richards while he still has value.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:32 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

What's really interesting last night was his lack of PP time? Stepan went from the team's top PP guy on forward to barely getting a sniff last night. What gives?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:32 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post
C'mon people, he's never going to develop into a player. 6 full games now without a hattrick.
Ship him off to Dallas for Richards while he still has value.
Hat Trick or Bust.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote