HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tom Gilbert and Andrew Cogliano as a package

Old
10-22-2010, 10:22 AM
backhandsauce

vCash: 500
Tom Gilbert and Andrew Cogliano as a package

What would they fetch? Looking mainly for a 3rd line centre or a top 4 defeseman in return.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:01 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysauce View Post
What would they fetch? Looking mainly for a 3rd line centre or a top 4 defeseman in return.
Put Gilbert back with Whitney for a few weeks and leave Cogliano with Hall, get their value up and get double the return for them.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Don't be silly. You're giving up our 1st/2nd pairing defenceman and a young winger(2/3 line) and you want ONE of the same back?
What kind of sense does that make? Glad you're not GM...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:25 AM
bestmyfeeling

agree with oilfan2

only way we trade them is if we get a more legitimate 1st/2nd pairing d-man in my opinion....

don't even think we would trade for a forward, unless it's a legitimate 1st liner...seeing as we still have lots of depth in the farm...with linus/pitlick/vande velde...etc....

bestmyfeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:26 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Don't be silly. You're giving up our 1st/2nd pairing defenceman and a young winger(2/3 line) and you want ONE of the same back?
the grass is always greener on the otherside. until you get the grass and realize that the grass can play hockey and you want your old crab grass back.

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:55 AM
backhandsauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Tom Gilbert Sucks. Plain and Simple. The guy is a turn over machine, soft along the boards and has a muffin of a shot. He is the most over paid defenseman for what he brings to the table in the league.

I'm saying this as an Oiler fan.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:57 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Tom Gilbert Sucks. Plain and Simple. The guy is a turn over machine, soft along the boards and has a muffin of a shot. He is the most over paid defenseman for what he brings to the table in the league.

I disagree with everything in this post. He isn't overly physical, but he is a puck mover. You are exaggerating his defeciencies big time.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Jamie Langenbrunner?

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:20 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
Jamie Langenbrunner?
I would do Langenbrunner for Cogs, not for both him and Gilbert though. Doesn't he have a NTC though?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:42 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

Quote:

Wow, you really don't know what you are talking about, do you? Yes, Tom Gilbert is 9th in the league amongst defenceman for giveaways, but he is also 7th in the league amongst defenceman for takeaways. He doesn't have a muffin of a shot, he actually has a great shot. Didn't you watch the 07-08 season? His problem is that he doesn't use his shot enough. He certainly doesn't suck, he has just had a bad start to the season. All he needs is a little confidence right now and he will start tearing it up like he did at the end of last season. He certainly isn't the most overpaid defenceman for what he brings to the table, that is Bouwmeester.

I feel bad for Gilbert, it already looks like Oilers fans are making him their whipping boy this season.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Summary

vCash: 1574
Quote:

Typical then that the players are either gods or goats. Gotta get rid of them for the sake of it so we have someone else to pass judgement on.

Summary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 02:48 PM
DG

So... you're looking for Tom Gilbert or Andrew Cogliano for a package containing both?

Nice.

Oh, and Ottawa does not take you up on this offer. Seperately or as a package.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:09 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Gilbert is more of a 2 way D that isn't great offensively or defensively. He's mobile and makes decent passes, but makes bad decisions with the puck. He's big, and easily the softest guy on our roster. Hemsky even plays a more physical game.

He plays like a guy who's 5'8" 150lbs.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by paberallFTW View Post
agree with oilfan2

only way we trade them is if we get a more legitimate 1st/2nd pairing d-man in my opinion....

don't even think we would trade for a forward, unless it's a legitimate 1st liner...seeing as we still have lots of depth in the farm...with linus/pitlick/vande velde...etc....
I don't want to offend anyone or start a flaming match here but in all honesty, Gilbert and Cogliano have negative value, that much should be clear.

Did anyone watch the Wild game last night? Gilbert took a brutal penalty that killed momentum on what looked to be a dangerous Oiler powerplay (they had like 12 of 'em) and Cogliano looked like a liability all over the ice.

Can someone please remind me, aside from Cogs' skating, why he was a first round pick? He couldn't hit an open net all night. On the plus side, he does look to finally be embracing his role as a speedy-grinder in the NHL so maybe he's not that bad.

But honestly, I wouldn't take Gilbert for a bag of pucks at that salary. He's not a 1/2 defenseman and he's barely a #4 defensemen.

Good luck Edmonton! You guys really aren't that far off from being a really good team.

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Gilbert is more of a 2 way D that isn't great offensively or defensively. He's mobile and makes decent passes, but makes bad decisions with the puck. He's big, and easily the softest guy on our roster. Hemsky even plays a more physical game.

He plays like a guy who's 5'8" 150lbs.
I wouldn't just limit those bad decisions to when he has the puck, it seems to be all over the ice.

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:14 PM
voxel

Don't get the Gilbert hate at all. Pitkanen was slagged too for being soft + etc. Both are actually good D-men who have **** games once in a while.

Gilbert is a second-pairing D-men. He shouldn't be playing on the top-pairing. Pisani shouldn't be playing in the top-6. The hockey world is wrong sometimes.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Akonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Don't get the Gilbert hate at all. Pitkanen was slagged too for being soft + etc. Both are actually good D-men who have **** games once in a while.

Gilbert is a second-pairing D-men. He shouldn't be playing on the top-pairing. Pisani shouldn't be playing in the top-6. The hockey world is wrong sometimes.
Pretty sure he's playing the 3/4 line In Chicago.

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Cephalusc

As a Flames fan, I hope the Oilers keep Gilbert and don't change a single thing about their defence. They only good player they have on D is Whitney.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephalusc View Post
As a Flames fan, I hope the Oilers keep Gilbert and don't change a single thing about their defence. They only good player they have on D is Whitney.
You guys will probably get hm at the deadline.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodamsHjammer View Post
Can someone please remind me, aside from Cogs' skating, why he was a first round pick? He couldn't hit an open net all night. On the plus side, he does look to finally be embracing his role as a speedy-grinder in the NHL so maybe he's not that bad.
Just sayin', two 18 goal seasons proves he can hit at least an open net

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 03:25 AM
ScubaSteve*

Ribeiro.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 04:51 AM
Manbearpig17

Stoll+Harrold+2nd

...and I think we are over paying for all the people who are going to say that this isn't enough to get two failed Edmonton experiments.

I just wanna do it cause I think Cogs is cheaper than Stoll and can be justified more easily to have him on the fourth line than Stoll( as soon as Schenn becomes the full-time #2Center.) this team could use Cog's speed anyways.

and with our "nhl's best" defensive unit we could hide Gilbert's deficiencies better than Edmonton and maybe our coaches can make up for the **** development he got in Edmonton

...still probably alatteral move at best.

Manbearpig17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 04:57 AM
iggyman12

I would not take either...

iggyman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 05:21 AM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Ribeiro.
Done.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2011, 09:28 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig17 View Post
Stoll+Harrold+2nd

Now we are talking... we have the cap space to absorb Stoll's mediocre production, and would appreciate another guy who can win a face-off. Horc and Stoll down the middle with Gags would allow us to bring in one of our rookies (Lander, Pitlick, Couturrier or RNH) and not get destroyed at even strength.

I wonder if we might encourage you to swap out Harrold and the 2nd in exchange for one of your D prospects of equivalent value.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote