HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Gaustad is a switch hitter on the draws

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2010, 10:57 AM
  #1
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,590
vCash: 500
Gaustad is a switch hitter on the draws

http://www.wgr550.com/Gaustad-is-a-s...-draws/8405276


Quote:
Paul Gaustad has been steadily improving at taking faceoffs. Four years ago he won 54.9 percent, the next year he slipped to 52.7, but last year he won 57.4 percent and this season he's third in the NHL at 64.6 percent despite making a drastic change.

Gaustad in certain faceoff dots has been taking and winning draws right handed. Now, I've seen players like former Sabre Mike Ramsey () go in left handed and switch to right to make a pass. Gordie Howe could shoot both way, but he used a straight stick. I've never at any level seen somebody take faceoffs both left and right.
Quote:
My thought is it would feel so unnatural that his percentage would go down. Gaustad said, "It was definitely weird, but I think that the mechanics of it is going to be really strong. Guys have weak sides and strong sides so I'm trying to create two strong sides and yes, it was difficult at first but there's been a lot of repetition and a lot of practice and getting confident using it in a game has been the best part."

Gaustad practices faceoffs after almost every practice. Rob Niedermayer is usually there with him trying to improve on a struggling 46.4 percent.


Last edited by joshjull: 10-22-2010 at 11:17 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:04 AM
  #2
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Gaustad practices faceoffs after almost every practice. Rob Niedermayer is usually there with him trying to improve on a struggling 46.4 percent. I've seen Tim Connolly practice faceoffs once as he's usually the first guy off the ice. His percentage is 48.1 while Derek Roy is only 42 percent.

http://www.wgr550.com/Gaustad-is-a-s...-draws/8405276

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:17 AM
  #3
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I shouldn't have put that in there. Don't want to side track the thread into Connolly bashing.

I think its amazing Goose was able to develop such an unconventional faceoff tactic to keep improving at the dot.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:25 AM
  #4
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I think its amazing Goose was able to develop such an unconventional faceoff tactic to keep improving at the dot.
I remember Gaustad saying during interviews in his rookie year that he saw how much time Drury spent practicing on faceoffs and that he picked up a lot from watching and working with Drury. Last year, when Kennedy was struggling so much as a center, I remember TBN and WGR noting how Gaustad was trying to help him during practices on the same. It's nice to read when an athlete has that kind of dedication to try to keep improving at his craft as well as helping others do the same...

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:40 PM
  #5
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
I think Sabres' fans as a whole overrate face-off %. I mean, it's a great thing to be good at, but using it as proof that Nieds is bad or Goose is good is dumb.

Sure, sometimes there are key draws in key situations, and winning a draw is good for a puck possession team, but it's really a small part of the game.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 12:55 PM
  #6
Macksayev
17+19 (3+72)
 
Macksayev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
I think Sabres' fans as a whole overrate face-off %. I mean, it's a great thing to be good at, but using it as proof that Nieds is bad or Goose is good is dumb.

Sure, sometimes there are key draws in key situations, and winning a draw is good for a puck possession team, but it's really a small part of the game.
The fact that Gaustad does so much to make it a part of his game that we can depend on him for is what people like. I'm not trying to make this a Connolly bashing thread either, but joshjull is right. I've seen Connolly practice face offs once that I can remember in the whole time I've been going to practice- since january 2007.

Macksayev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:23 PM
  #7
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
I think Sabres' fans as a whole overrate face-off %. I mean, it's a great thing to be good at, but using it as proof that Nieds is bad or Goose is good is dumb.

Sure, sometimes there are key draws in key situations, and winning a draw is good for a puck possession team, but it's really a small part of the game.
I would not understate how important his wins on the PK were last season. It's the chief reason the "draw-and-switch" plan with Hecht worked, and when you can easily kill 10-15 seconds off a PK at the start that makes a difference.

Faceoffs aren't everything, but they are still very important. And when you have a guy who is top-5 in the entire league, that's pretty significant.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:44 PM
  #8
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death
 
Ron Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bdddddddet
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 500
I'm gonna try this at my next beer league game (and I'll probably fail at it miserably).

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 01:49 PM
  #9
Ralonzo
Я хочу!
 
Ralonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 4,739
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Gaustad is a switch hitter on the draws
** Insert Derek Roy joke here

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:28 PM
  #10
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
I would not understate how important his wins on the PK were last season. It's the chief reason the "draw-and-switch" plan with Hecht worked, and when you can easily kill 10-15 seconds off a PK at the start that makes a difference.

Faceoffs aren't everything, but they are still very important. And when you have a guy who is top-5 in the entire league, that's pretty significant.
I understand this. I guess my comment more ties into Gaustad as a player who's being paid $3+ million. I love his work ethic and his size and his faceoffs, but that doesn't make him worth it.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:32 PM
  #11
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,447
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
I understand this. I guess my comment more ties into Gaustad as a player who's being paid $3+ million. I love his work ethic and his size and his faceoffs, but that doesn't make him worth it.
True, it would be nice if he was popping 35-40 points for the compensation.

And it's $2.5 M in real salary, not $3+M.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:53 PM
  #12
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
I think Sabres' fans as a whole overrate face-off %. I mean, it's a great thing to be good at, but using it as proof that Nieds is bad or Goose is good is dumb.

Sure, sometimes there are key draws in key situations, and winning a draw is good for a puck possession team, but it's really a small part of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
I understand this. I guess my comment more ties into Gaustad as a player who's being paid $3+ million. I love his work ethic and his size and his faceoffs, but that doesn't make him worth it.
Whats with the bug up your ass?

The point of this thread was that its pretty amazing that he is developing the ability to win draws with either hand. If you've played the game (I have no idea if you have or not) thats a pretty amazing thing to be able to do. Thats the point.

Where have I posted anything about the relative worth of any player based on their faceoffs?

Also Goose makes 2.5mil not 3+mil. At least get the facts straight if your going to try and hijack a thread with an agenda.


Last edited by joshjull: 10-22-2010 at 07:01 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 01:18 PM
  #13
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Whats with the bug up your ass?

The point of this thread was that its pretty amazing that he is developing the ability to win draws with either hand. If you've played the game (I have no idea if you have or not) thats a pretty amazing thing to be able to do. Thats the point.

Where have I posted anything about the relative worth of any player based on their faceoffs?

Also Goose makes 2.5mil not 3+mil. At least get the facts straight if your going to try and hijack a thread with an agenda.
Why don't ya blow me, bud. The thread is based on faceoffs, and I stated that I think it's overrated. Sorry I didn't check with the thread police before I posted.

Good for Goose on putting in the effort, I do play so I can appreciate it, but like I said, I don't think faceoff % is as big a deal as people on this board make it.

I'll PM you before I state an opinion from now on I guess.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:14 PM
  #14
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,438
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Why don't ya blow me, bud. The thread is based on faceoffs, and I stated that I think it's overrated. Sorry I didn't check with the thread police before I posted.

Good for Goose on putting in the effort, I do play so I can appreciate it, but like I said, I don't think faceoff % is as big a deal as people on this board make it.

I'll PM you before I state an opinion from now on I guess.
No, you brought in a "Gaustad is overpaid" agenda into this thread, as evidenced by this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya
I understand this. I guess my comment more ties into Gaustad as a player who's being paid $3+ million. I love his work ethic and his size and his faceoffs, but that doesn't make him worth it.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:25 PM
  #15
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
No, you brought in a "Gaustad is overpaid" agenda into this thread, as evidenced by this post:
As evidence that faceoff % is overrated. People complain about Goose's contract all offseason and then get off his back because he's winning draws.

That doesn't make him good.

It's not like I said "Goose is still overpaid" without qualifying it in an argument about how I feel faceoff % is overrated.

Once again, blow me.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:33 PM
  #16
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,438
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
As evidence that faceoff % is overrated. People complain about Goose's contract all offseason and then get off his back because he's winning draws.

That doesn't make him good.

It's not like I said "Goose is still overpaid" without qualifying it in an argument about how I feel faceoff % is overrated.

Once again, blow me.
The point is you probably won't find much arguement that Gaustad is overpaid. they thought he would become a 3rd line forward. He did not.

This thread is not about that. There are plenty of other threads regarding Regier and poor contracts that you can go vent in.

This one happens to be written about how hard Gaustad has worked to add another elemt to his faceoffs and improved yet more on something he was already pretty good at. You'll notice (if you ever stop trying to play the victim) that another post about Connolly was also redirected to the point of the thread at hand.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:37 PM
  #17
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
The point is you probably won't find much arguement that Gaustad is overpaid. they thought he would become a 3rd line forward. He did not.

This thread is not about that. There are plenty of other threads regarding Regier and poor contracts that you can go vent in.

This one happens to be written about how hard Gaustad has worked to add another elemt to his faceoffs and improved yet more on something he was already pretty good at. You'll notice (if you ever stop trying to play the victim) that another post about Connolly was also redirected to the point of the thread at hand.
All I said is that I though faceoff % was overrated in a thread about faceoffs.

I used Goose's contract as an example to qualify that statement.

I don't see where you guys have a place telling me what does and doesn't belong in a thread.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:41 PM
  #18
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,415
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Cut it out, now.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:42 PM
  #19
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah
 
Mike McDermott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kenmore
Country: United States
Posts: 12,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
All I said is that I though faceoff % was overrated in a thread about faceoffs.

I used Goose's contract as an example to qualify that statement.

I don't see where you guys have a place telling me what does and doesn't belong in a thread.
Maybe because him being good at faceoffs and his contract aren't mutualy exclusive to each other.

If he was making 900K and as good at faceoffs as he is and this thread was started would you say "Faceoffs are an over rated stat just look at how low his contract is"?

You can think and argue the fact that faceoffs are an over rated stat all you want with out bringing a guys contract into it.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:42 PM
  #20
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 20,438
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
All I said is that I though faceoff % was overrated in a thread about faceoffs.

I used Goose's contract as an example to qualify that statement.

I don't see where you guys have a place telling me what does and doesn't belong in a thread.
Overall, faceoff % is overrated.

But faceoff % in the offensive/defensive zone is not. There is also a significant difference between clean wins and scrambled wins. Clean wins in the offensive zone provides a good scoring chance. Clean wins in the defensive zone on the PK provides a free clear. Both those results are extremely important.

Faceoffs are not overrated. The stat of faceoff % has some work to do.

And you yourself admitted that you were approaching the topic with the intent of showing Gaustad is overpaid. His faceoff % was a small (very much so) factor of him being overpaid. Sabres brass obviously thought he could be a good 3rd line forward.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:46 PM
  #21
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Overall, faceoff % is overrated.

But faceoff % in the offensive/defensive zone is not. There is also a significant difference between clean wins and scrambled wins. Clean wins in the offensive zone provides a good scoring chance. Clean wins in the defensive zone on the PK provides a free clear. Both those results are extremely important.

Faceoffs are not overrated. The stat of faceoff % has some work to do.

And you yourself admitted that you were approaching the topic with the intent of showing Gaustad is overpaid. His faceoff % was a small (very much so) factor of him being overpaid. Sabres brass obviously thought he could be a good 3rd line forward.
I used his contract and the lack of people talking about it as evidence that faceoff % is overrated. There's a difference.

Anyways, done, I've said all I can about this.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:52 PM
  #22
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
I used his contract and the lack of people talking about it as evidence that faceoff % is overrated. There's a difference.

Anyways, done, I've said all I can about this.
You really don't get it. You're using his contract to counter an arguement that isn't even being made be the OP (me). Nor is it the topic I wanted to discuss. Not to mention what in the world does Goose's contract have to with the fact that he was working a new technique to win draws? Nothing would be the answer.

The thread is about the unique way Goose went about improving his faceoff ability. Thats it.

This thread is not about Goose's value to the team, its not about his salary, its not about the value of faceoffs in the NHL, nor is it about whether faceoff percentages are overrated. At least not until you made it about that.

Those are all things you brought into the thread. All the posts dealing with those topics grew out of your intitial post. Thats borderline hijacking of a thread which is not allowed on this site. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if I tried to change the subject of a thread you had started.

Its not about asking my opinion before you post. Its about staying on topic and trying not to derail a thread. It took several posts before you even commented on the topic I was actually discussing.

Btw there is no need to tell posters to blow you. Make a better arguement or start your own thread making your arguements.


Last edited by joshjull: 10-24-2010 at 07:09 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:58 PM
  #23
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
As evidence that faceoff % is overrated. People complain about Goose's contract all offseason and then get off his back because he's winning draws.

That doesn't make him good.

It's not like I said "Goose is still overpaid" without qualifying it in an argument about how I feel faceoff % is overrated.

Once again, blow me.
Blow me? What are you, like thirteen?

I hope you don't handle yourself in debates like this in real life.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:11 PM
  #24
msm29
Was htsportplaya
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,962
vCash: 500
Jeeze people. There was no debate. I made a comment on how I thought faceoff % was overrated in a thread about Goose's faceoffs.

I was then (completely unnecessarily) told I had an "agenda" and was trying to hijack a thread.

Maybe if some people would keep comments like that to themselves none of this would happen.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:29 PM
  #25
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!
 
BUCKSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 17,634
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Jeeze people. There was no debate. I made a comment on how I thought faceoff % was overrated in a thread about Goose's faceoffs.

I was then (completely unnecessarily) told I had an "agenda" and was trying to hijack a thread.

Maybe if some people would keep comments like that to themselves none of this would happen.
Is this not a message board ?



__________________






BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.