HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bozak--Just an observation

Old
10-22-2010, 10:15 AM
marktheshark

vCash: 500
Bozak--Just an observation

Has anyone else noticed that Bozak has been getting kicked out of alot of faceoffs this year? Maybe he needs make some adjustments. This is by no means a hate thread for Bozak as I enjoy his vision and playmaking skills as a player. It just seems that Versteeg has to come in alot and replace him on the draws. Has anyone noticed what he is doing wrong?

marktheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:24 AM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktheshark View Post
Has anyone else noticed that Bozak has been getting kicked out of alot of faceoffs this year? Maybe he needs make some adjustments. This is by no means a hate thread for Bozak as I enjoy his vision and playmaking skills as a player. It just seems that Versteeg has to come in alot and replace him on the draws. Has anyone noticed what he is doing wrong?
kid's in over his head IMO, but I hope he rises to the challenge, when on his game he seems to be able to get the job done. I think Burke realizes that the Leafs are possibly 1 trade away from being a really good team, question is can he pull another rabbit out of his hat?

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:24 AM
TOG26

They may of told him he can be aggressive due to having 2 other guys capable of taking faceoffs on his line. But it does appear he has been very aggressive at the dot so far.

TOG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:34 AM
dubey
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG26 View Post
They may of told him he can be aggressive due to having 2 other guys capable of taking faceoffs on his line. But it does appear he has been very aggressive at the dot so far.
That's a pretty interesting observation. The whole top line is more than capable of winning faceoffs.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:38 AM
LarryDanaDavid*

The guy needs to shoot more...only 5 shots on goal so far.

LarryDanaDavid* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Federko

Let's have this conversation at Xmas. Then we can see if Bozak is really over his head or not.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:51 AM
marktheshark

Was not implying with the thread that he was over his head, I do believe we have to be patient with him. I was just wondering what was causing him to get kicked out of faceoffs alot. As mentioned in a previous post, coaches telling him to be more aggressive because of his line mates seems logical

marktheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
mooseOAK*

I don't how we are supposed to know why other than the linesman doesn't like his positioning and kicks him out for it.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

ONE REGULAR TIME LOSS AND YOU'RE ALREADY COMPLAINING???
kidding dude.

but I agree with someone above me ^^. Bozak is in over his head. This is going to be his first full season in the NHL and he has SO much pressure on him.

He'll be fine. Wasn't he unreal in faceoffs last year?

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:08 AM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie79 View Post
Let's have this conversation at Xmas. Then we can see if Bozak is really over his head or not.
fair enough, but it might be too late by then if the goal is to make the playoffs. I mean no disrespect to Bozak, I think he's going to eventually be a 1-2 centre, might just need more games under his belt. He's played well for a couple of games no doubt, but doing that for 82 games is a tall order for any 2nd year player IMO.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Bozak only has 40 games of NHL experience under his belt and its a learning curve, as he is going up against the best of the opponents on a regular basis.

Not being set or trying to get an advantage is getting him tossed out of the dot. Winning key face-offs is vital to a teams success so players cheat as much as they can get away with, but its a fine line that also gets them tossed out on occasion.

That is why we saw Zigomanis play on the Top line in yesterdays game all because of the desire to win face-offs.

10-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Yeah, I think we have to remember that Bozak has barely a half season of experience. Ultimately I don't think he's the answer at #1 centre, based on what I've seen so far. Should become a solid #2 though.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

He can afford to be aggressive, his line mates are decent at it.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 04:58 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDanaDavid View Post
The guy needs to shoot more...only 5 shots on goal so far.
i was like D: when i saw that stat on tsn last night

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Leafmon1

I know I will probably get flamed for this, but why not try Grabo on the top line for a bit. I know that there is a great deal of chemistry on the second line, but just imagine if Grabo could feed the puck to Kessel on a regular basis like he has been feeding his linemates this year. He is playing a very team oriented game this year and he seems to be more of a playmaker than one would have thought. Bozak got benched and the lines mixed up a bit last night and the play improved late into the third. Just a thought...

I know I strayed a bit off topic, my initial point being to tune down the pressure on Bozak a bit by putting him on a lower line for a few games to regain some confidence and maybe inspire him a bit.

Leafmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:31 PM
seanlinden

Does anyone else find it interesting that Versteeg, the natural winger, is the secondary faceoff guy instead of Kessel, the guy who grew up playing centre?

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:40 PM
TheSilencer

Honestly, this isn't a big deal at all. He's still winning around 50% of his draws (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Lets not start over-reacting about last night's game. Bozak will be fine.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Sam Slick*

What bugs me is Wilson is playing a few headgames with Bozak (which players dont like by the way) and is sending a message. It may wake him up and it may not, But Bozak, to me has been decent and has made some amazing plays to both Kessel and Versteeg.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Sproo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Napster View Post
What bugs me is Wilson is playing a few headgames with Bozak (which players dont like by the way) and is sending a message. It may wake him up and it may not, But Bozak, to me has been decent and has made some amazing plays to both Kessel and Versteeg.
I agree that he has been decent so far, and at even strength his chemistry with Kessel and Versteeg is very good, particularly on the rush. But I think his PP performance has been pretty mediocre largely due to his unwillingness to fight hard for pucks or position.

Bozak may have been unfairly singled out last game, but Wilson clearly expects a lot more of him, as I think he should from your #1 center. It's more Burke's fault for starting the season with such little depth up the middle thus creating the situation.

Sproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirtss View Post
Honestly, this isn't a big deal at all. He's still winning around 50% of his draws (someone correct me if i'm wrong). Lets not start over-reacting about last night's game. Bozak will be fine.
Bozak has taken 90 faceoffs to date this season, winning 51 and losing 39 for 56.7 winning %.

Grabovski .. FO: 77 .. Won: 36 Lost 41 FO% = 46.8
Brent .........FO: 74 .. Won: 33 Lost 41 FO% = 44.6
Zigomanis ..FO: 34 .. Won: 19 Lost 15 FO% = 55.9

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:02 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

I'm not too worried about this. It will be a minor blip on the season for Bozak. He'll come back strong. I think he needs a goal, that will get that confidence back up.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:13 PM
NomNom
Oh Yeah

Send a message via Skype™ to NomNom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
but I agree with someone above me ^^. Bozak is in over his head. This is going to be his first full season in the NHL and he has SO much pressure on him.

He'll be fine. Wasn't he unreal in faceoffs last year?
I find it interesting that I don't really see the pressure on Bozak, he looks so composed out there, that I honestly forgot that he is pretty much just a rookie.

NomNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:32 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by s h a n Y e View Post
He can afford to be aggressive, his line mates are decent at it.
Yup, pretty much. Both versteeg ang kessel have experience at center so I don't see a problem with him being aggresive. Especially when he's not as strong as the other #1 centers he's going against.

Playing ziggy in key situations isn't a shot at bozak by any means, just a strategy. Other teams do this all the time. That being said bozak still has a good fo% so far, just needs to get stronger so he doesn't have to cheat as much.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 11:45 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Does anyone else find it interesting that Versteeg, the natural winger, is the secondary faceoff guy instead of Kessel, the guy who grew up playing centre?
Bozak has 90 face-offs, most on team, with 57% rating, Versteeg 15 face-offs at 73% (too small of a sample to be accurate).

Versteeg was 42% last year in 183 face-offs.

So if Versteeg and Bozak were on for 105 altogether, being thrown out 15 times isn't that many.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Sergei Berezin

I just think Bozak needs to change his number.... 42 is no good for 2nd year players...

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote