HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Opinion on Rypien

Old
10-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Opinion on Rypien

Hey guys,

Everybody knows that Rypien is a very skilled fighter, exploding last year onto the scene with memorable fights.

But after his incident with the "fan", What do people think about him?, do you forgive what he did? (he has no history of being dirty at all), Or will you continue to dislike rypien after ever fight, because of the incident.

just curious.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Don Nachbaur 26

vCash: 500
He ****ed up, ****ed up BIG TIME. However, I am more than willing to give him another chance. If he screws up again, like going Chris Simon on someone or something to that effect, then I have no sympathy for him and hope he fairs well in the Quebec Fight League or MMA..or something..

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 06:44 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

most entertaining fighter to me. He did f up and the suspension was a little light IMO but at least he'll be back to entertain. If this calms him down in any way and he loses some of his aggression...Well it would be understandable but since the guy can't really play hockey he'd cease to be useful in any capacity. Just have to stay out of the stands and keep on doing what he does.

Hope this makes him hate Staubitz more so there will be a good chance of dustups in all the Wild/Nucks games.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:26 PM
19Yzerman19

He's PFP the biggest coward in the NHL

19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Habstract

Good pound for pound fighter but I think he should change his juicebox brand... the sucker punch he gave to Staubitz is suspendable too IMO...

6 games isn't enough.

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Finnish Your Czechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
most entertaining fighter to me. He did f up and the suspension was a little light IMO but at least he'll be back to entertain. If this calms him down in any way and he loses some of his aggression...Well it would be understandable but since the guy can't really play hockey he'd cease to be useful in any capacity. Just have to stay out of the stands and keep on doing what he does.

Hope this makes him hate Staubitz more so there will be a good chance of dustups in all the Wild/Nucks games.
Rypien is actually not a bad hockey player. He stick handles well, battles hard and gives 110% every shift. He's not a liability defensively and can pop a goal every so often. More than the average tough guy anyways.

I also disagree with the suspension being too light, but I agree with everything else you said.

Finnish Your Czechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

The reason the suspension was only 6 games is because he has no history of doing anything dirty, or being disrespectful.

This is his first instance.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 08:56 PM
ponder

Totally lost his head there for sure, I was watching the game and he just got completely out of control, not just the fan incident but the sucker punch and the way he was wrestling with the ref, his own team and coach had to work very hard with the ref just trying to restrain him. Weird thing is that I didn't see anything at all that would have set him off, he just seemed to snap out of nowhere. But he doesn't have a history of this kind of stuff, and is easily one of the most entertaining fighters in the league, so I got no problem with him in the future.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 09:09 PM
bignastay*

i think hes pretty hot, id do him

bignastay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Hey guys,

Everybody knows that Rypien is a very skilled fighter, exploding last year onto the scene with memorable fights.

But after his incident with the "fan", What do people think about him?, do you forgive what he did? (he has no history of being dirty at all), Or will you continue to dislike rypien after ever fight, because of the incident.

just curious.
That punch he threw at Staubitz while the ref was holding him was quite dirty. I doubt many people outside of Vancouver either like or dislike him. I think he's a piece of crap based on his actions recently.

Personally I'm sick of all the "pound for pound" fighter crap Canuck fans constantly post on here. I'm tired of hearing him called a heavyweight, etc. just because he beat on Hal Gill.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 12:45 AM
TheFinalWord

I thought it was really stupid and I thought he deserved 10+ games when you take into account the sucker punch and not listening to the linesman/ref, but he'll serve his suspension and he deserves a second chance.

We all make mistakes. He has no history of being cheap (that I'm aware of) so he should have the chance to prove it was just a bad night.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Washington Capitals

One of the best fighters in the league. He screwed up and got his punishment. No hard feelings. Just make sure he won't do that ever again.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:25 AM
SFKingshomer

He should get no respect around the league.

Last edited by SFKingshomer: 10-23-2010 at 10:27 AM.
SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Canucker

I love all these r-tards who bash on Rypien because of one indescresion that wasn't even that major. Of course it was a stupid move, and yes, he deserved to be punished and he was. I doubt you'll ever see him draw any kind of suspension like that again, he's not that type of player. And I have to laugh at all the internet Proberts we have around here who try and diminish Rypien's fights. No, he's not a heavyweight....he actually has some skill fighting, and some skill as a player...he's not just some big knuckle dragger who can only be used for one thing. He can still pummel the hell out of 99% of the players in the league, some of them legitimate tough guys (ie Cam Janssen). So all of you "Holier than thou" meatheads that want to lynch Rypien just remember that there are plenty of players in this league who have committed far uglier and more malicious incidents than Rypien did and are still playing. Please, for the love of all things, try to show some objectivity because reading some of these posts make my eyes bleed and fear for future generations.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Wheatking

I haven't been big on him since this hit from behind in a preseason game...

He started picking up speed before hitting the red line and had no interest of playing the puck.

As for the incident with the fan...thousands of players have come and gone without laying a finger on a fan. Is it the worst thing he could have done? No...but it says something about his character. It shouldn't be blown out of proportion but it also shouldn't just be excused because he doesn't have a history of these kinds of things. He now has a history.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Chairman Maouth

I wonder how each and every one of us would be viewed by others if we were judged only by our worst moment.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I haven't been big on him since this hit from behind in a preseason game...

He started picking up speed before hitting the red line and had no interest of playing the puck.

As for the incident with the fan...thousands of players have come and gone without laying a finger on a fan. Is it the worst thing he could have done? No...but it says something about his character. It shouldn't be blown out of proportion but it also shouldn't just be excused because he doesn't have a history of these kinds of things. He now has a history.
Are you serious? Thats called a good forecheck. If anything it was a charging minor but I didn't see the hit from behind there, if it was the player turned at the last second. And since it was an Oiler he so callously "hit from behind" I don't suppose you have any sort of axe to grind?

Old
10-23-2010, 10:26 AM
GreatSaveLuongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
I wonder how each and every one of us would be viewed by others if we were judged only by our worst moment.
How often do you name a player and remember their best moment? Probably because there's multiple best moments or it's hard to define "best", and the worst moment always stick in people's minds.

GreatSaveLuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Chairman Maouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveLuongo View Post
How often do you name a player and remember their best moment? Probably because there's multiple best moments or it's hard to define "best", and the worst moment always stick in people's minds.
All I know is that the majority of the population, including me, would be D-bags. I might give my dad a pass though.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Are you serious? Thats called a good forecheck. If anything it was a charging minor but I didn't see the hit from behind there, if it was the player turned at the last second. And since it was an Oiler he so callously "hit from behind" I don't suppose you have any sort of axe to grind?
So because I'm an Oilers fan my opinion is only valid when I'm saying the Canucks are a cup contender, that Rypien is probably the best pound for pound fighter in the league or that this incident with the fan isn't worth getting worked up about? Anything that isn't completely pro-Canucks gets labeled as "trolling"? Good to know. It was a dangerous play and that was my first time ever hearing of Rick Rypien. Since then I haven't been a huge fan of his. Whether it was a clean or dirty hit is irrelevant because I was just talking about when I started having an opinion on him.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
So because I'm an Oilers fan my opinion is only valid when I'm saying the Canucks are a cup contender, that Rypien is probably the best pound for pound fighter in the league or that this incident with the fan isn't worth getting worked up about? Anything that isn't completely pro-Canucks gets labeled as "trolling"? Good to know. It was a dangerous play and that was my first time ever hearing of Rick Rypien. Since then I haven't been a huge fan of his. Whether it was a clean or dirty hit is irrelevant because I was just talking about when I started having an opinion on him.
I never called you a "troll", I suggested that you might have a negative opinion of Rypien because he creamed one of your team's players. And I'm not saying your opinion isn't "valid" at all, I'm just saying its wrong .

Old
10-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Robbler

Rypien's a joke.

Robbler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveYzermanGreatest View Post
He's PFP the biggest coward in the NHL
Huuurrr duuuuuuurrr

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:47 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Hey guys,

just curious.
just got caught up in the moment... thats my opinion. Im sure the fan was pissing him off to, it takes 2 people to fight, the fan isn't all innocent.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Lessy

Lost in this whole debacle is the fact that Rypien got tuned pretty good in the fight that happened earlier.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote