HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Opinion on Rypien

Old
10-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Canucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Lost in this whole debacle is the fact that Rypien got tuned pretty good in the fight that happened earlier.
He did? I guess if you count getting taken down "tuned out" then yeah, he got murdered in that fight. The best punch that connected was delivered by Rypien and Staubitz was bloodied if i remember correctly. I'd say it was a pretty even bout.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Robbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
just got caught up in the moment... thats my opinion. Im sure the fan was pissing him off to, it takes 2 people to fight, the fan isn't all innocent.
There's no excuse.

Robbler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces High View Post
There's no excuse.
No, there is no excuse for it....but nobody should be making it out like Rypien ***** the fan. He grabbed his shirt and thats about it. Yes, it's legally considered battery, or assault....or whatever. No judge in his right mind will give him any money and no lawyer worth his salt would even take on the case (unless he figured he could get some good publicity from it).

Old
10-24-2010, 05:02 AM
luiginb

I love him as a fighter (and remember, he's 170 pounds light), and he's a pretty decent player for a goon (almost a point-per-gamer in his last year of WHL, and he's got a point in every 10 games in the NHL level). I wouldn't get Avery'd on him for just one night when he was probably off his meds, but she shouldn't try and pull **** like that in the league, EVER again. I think no-one should.

luiginb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:23 AM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
No, there is no excuse for it....but nobody should be making it out like Rypien ***** the fan. He grabbed his shirt and thats about it. Yes, it's legally considered battery, or assault....or whatever. No judge in his right mind will give him any money and no lawyer worth his salt would even take on the case (unless he figured he could get some good publicity from it).
I think someone's a little too angry at this. Is Rypien family or something?

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
I think someone's a little too angry at this. Is Rypien family or something?
I'm not angry, if you are looking for angry people there are plenty around here ready to lynch Rypien for what he did. I have plenty of anger but it's directed elsewhere for the most part. This is just discussion for me.

Old
10-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Pascha

I still like Rypien, he has a place on the Canucks 4th line for sure... I just want to know when the NHL is going to come down on Staubitz for fighting with his elbow pads against guys who are much smaller than him ... first Tootoo and now Rypien

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:49 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The fan incident was blown WAY out of proportion. Obviously it crossed a line and Rypien deserved the suspension, but people act like he Artest'ed the guy. Like so many other facets of the sport, people get entirely too worked up over a little incident.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:59 PM
xtr3m

Canucks’ Rick Rypien: ‘It's inexcusable what I did’

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...509/story.html

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:59 AM
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveYzermanGreatest View Post
He's PFP the biggest coward in the NHL
you obviously dont know much of anything about fighting in hockey.. good thing you post here and not on hockeyfights board

ThorNton Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 03:16 AM
Bobo Fett*

Meh, people make mistakes. He apologized everyone should get over it.

Unless you guys are all robots and never screwed up in your life?

Hypocrisy.

Bobo Fett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Eytinge

I think he does deserve a second chance, but that still doesn't excuse what he did. As a fighter I think some players around the league are starting to figure him out, he used to surprise players with his fighting ability but I think now you'll see guys adjust to his speed and counter with their superior strength.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 04:19 PM
SomE

I just hate how people praise him for not losing fights against 7 foot retards who cannot fight worth ****.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
I just hate how people praise him for not losing fights against 7 foot retards who cannot fight worth ****.
His two fights against tall players weren't all that impressive given it was Valabik and Gill, although overcoming a size and reach difference that large(theoretically, all they would have to do is hold Rypien at arm's length and he'd be helpless) is a decent feat. With that said, he still routinely takes on players larger than him and rarely loses.

Even my favorite tough guys have blemishes. Brad May got suspended for 20 games for slashing a player in the head, and then again for sucker punching Johnsson. Players make mistakes, especially the ones who have to walk the emotional line like enforcers do.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 11:53 PM
JuniorNelson

Rypien struggles with life, like everybody else. He screwed up. He apologized. It's over.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:13 AM
soothsayer

Now we have evidence of what we all knew would happen to Rypien against a real heavy weight. Completely tooled and really proved how he has no business messing with the heavyweights by getting his titto's pumped by Carkner .

soothsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:30 AM
RickNar

I dont think he expected to win. He is simply too small to beat a guy like Carkner especially with his reach. Maybe if he put on 20 of muscle he would stand a chance, but certainly not now. He is however capable of beating some lesser heavyweights because he is a good fighter.

I figured alot of people on this board of all places would not like what transpired with the fan, but seriously, some of you soccer mom types need to drop the agenda, he screwed up and its over and done with. Don't judge a guy on one action.

RickNar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 03:06 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post

Now we have evidence of what we all knew would happen to Rypien against a real heavy weight. Completely tooled and really proved how he has no business messing with the heavyweights by getting his titto's pumped by Carkner .
i think it's respectable that he fought carks. Honestly, i was pissed that carkner accepted. Ryp plays 5 minutes a night and carkner plays 18, including the PK. If ryp can bait a player like that into a fight, he's doing his job.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 04:41 AM
ThorntonFan19

Quote:

We had evidence, just nobody watches the sharks.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:03 AM
MISC*
Negged.

Every Canucks player in post game interviews said that the Rypien - Carkner fight was what got them amped up and help them swing momentum back in there favor.

Seeing a teammate who is 5'11 and weighs 187lbs fight a guy who is 6'4 and 238 lbs got the boys pumped up.

The Sens were all over the Canucks before the fight. Game ended 6-2 and each player credited Rypien for the spark.

I can respect that.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:18 AM
playasRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby604 View Post
Every Canucks player in post game interviews said that the Rypien - Carkner fight was what got them amped up and help them swing momentum back in there favor.

Seeing a teammate who is 5'11 and weighs 187lbs fight a guy who is 6'4 and 238 lbs got the boys pumped up.

The Sens were all over the Canucks before the fight. Game ended 6-2 and each player credited Rypien for the spark.

I can respect that.
He also followed by taking Neil out for 5min.
*sigh*
totally thought we were gonna take that game

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:33 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNar View Post
I dont think he expected to win. He is simply too small to beat a guy like Carkner especially with his reach. Maybe if he put on 20 of muscle he would stand a chance, but certainly not now. He is however capable of beating some lesser heavyweights because he is a good fighter.

I figured alot of people on this board of all places would not like what transpired with the fan, but seriously, some of you soccer mom types need to drop the agenda, he screwed up and its over and done with. Don't judge a guy on one action.
I believe that he tried ... ! simply. As a real fighter he knows what this hug and hit game is and wanted to check if he could, maybe with a quick well placed punch on the jaw, win it by KO or technical KO.

This guy is a top fighter ... and actually he could try it again ... . He couldn't get a clean punch on Carkner's jaw ! therefore he lost this time.

In this fight vs Carkner, Rypien rushes to place some punches at the jaw ... hoping for a KO (Rypien didn't hit in the right place ... couldn't of course !) then Carkner doesn't waste time and starts hitting back Rypien goes down overwhelmed by the weight of Carkner's hits.

You can see that Rypien just hits with the same type of punch ... (crochet in french) ... and only aims at the jaw. While Carkner changes type of punch with uppercuts, "crochets" and jabbs, he aims globally at the head !

Rypien may have won this one actually but Carkner did a good job by making Rypien loose his balance and therefore miss his punches.

This fight could have ended in favour of Rypien as well ... . I do not see a fight without chances for Rypien. He had his chances ... .

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:41 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

It was nice to see Carkner wrecking him, and it was nice to see him bear hugging Neil after a couple losses to him last year (and yes the second fight is a loss, Neil gave Rypien a nasty shiner). Rypien throws muffins.

Unfortunately, he won big last night. Carkner didn't want to waste his time on him but eventually decided to. He won both trade offs for his team though big time, and provided a spark.

A shame how it affected the game, but as a guy who has argued with Cancucks fans about Rypien for ages, and read more than once how Rypien would work Carkner (no, I am not joking) I can't help but like the way the fights went.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:47 PM
guapo23

Quote:

Much as I love your Bill Hicks avatar, I have to diagree with you.
The fight was very short - did not have enough time to really get going. Rypien lands some small left jabs, Crakner lands some big rights.

But this is hardly a devastating victory that proves Rypien cannot fight the big boys. He has fought bigger, taller guys before and done very well.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 02:13 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Part of me wishes that Rypien would stop taking on guys that are so much bigger than him but another part of me really respects how he constantly fights above his weight class. He really is a middle weight but I swear he tries to find the biggest guy on the other team every night.

He certainly lost to Carkner but the Neil fight was even, both guys seemed reluctant to let the other swing away.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote