HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Fire Howson Thread

View Poll Results: Should Scott Howson be fired?
Yes 85 59.03%
No 59 40.97%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2011, 12:38 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
How and the hell can the Buffalo Sabres have people drooling over buying them and they suck!

In the end Ohio State sport rules Columbus; if there is a future buyer for the CBJ they will be a buyer who wants to move the team... There is no wealthy buyer in central Ohio who even knows or cares about the NHL.
What's up with all the sunshine and rainbows tonight, Robert?

It's hockey. Get out and enjoy a game!

Last edited by SuperGenius: 02-05-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old
02-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
What's up with all the sunshine and rainbows tonight, Robert?

It's hockey. Get out and enjoy a game!
Been reading about Palin , I googled Alaskan hockey and got that name by error.

Old
02-05-2011, 06:55 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Pete, at your age I want better... It begins with ownership, the McConnell family has no clue or care about NHL hockey, steel is their family thing, the Jackets are just a pet toy.

Who in the NHL would hire Priest to be President of their team? What the hell does a steel mill bean counter know or care about NHL hockey? None!

It's time for Jacket fans to face reality.
OK, I posted this earlier, you guys obviously missed it. It is OT and I apologize for that, but call the man what he is. Mike Priest is not a "steel man", he is an accountant. From the CBJ website:

Quote:
Michael Priest was named president of the Columbus Blue Jackets on April 19, 2007. As the club's top executive, he oversees all aspects of the franchise operations and the management of Nationwide Arena. He serves as an alternate governor for the club on all league-related matters. He also serves as the president of JMAC, Inc., the parent company of the Blue Jackets, since 2001.

Priest joined JMAC, Inc. as vice president, controller in 1996 and was promoted to vice president and chief financial officer in 1997. JMAC, Inc. is the private family holding company of John P. McConnell and the McConnell family, majority owner of the Blue Jackets. JMAC also directs numerous investments and charitable activities for the McConnell family.

Priest began his career in 1986 with the public accounting firm of Meaden & Moore, CPAs. During his tenure with Meaden & Moore, he earned his Certified Public Accountant certificate and achieved partner level.

A native of south central Ohio, Priest graduated *** laude from The Ohio State University with a bachelor's degree in business administration in 1986.

Priest resides in Dublin, Ohio with his wife and two children.
In no way is this an endorsement of Mike Priest, I just feel it is wise to actually know the guy's background if you choose to criticize him. No pro or con just a FYI.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
02-05-2011, 10:16 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
How and the hell can the Buffalo Sabres have people drooling over buying them and they suck!

In the end Ohio State sport rules Columbus; if there is a future buyer for the CBJ they will be a buyer who wants to move the team... There is no wealthy buyer in central Ohio who even knows or cares about the NHL.
The Sabres were purchased by Pegula a guy from Pennsylvania, who in fact recently donated the funds to start varsity hockey at Penn State. The Cavaliers are owned by a Detroit guy. The arena lease coupled with the NHL's apparent commitment to the existing cities makes it unlikely this team will move.

Old
02-05-2011, 10:19 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
The Sabres were purchased by Pegula a guy from Pennsylvania, who in fact recently donated the funds to start varsity hockey at Penn State. The Cavaliers are owned by a Detroit guy. The arena lease coupled with the NHL's apparent commitment to the existing cities makes it unlikely this team will move.
Thank you leek, This is a very accurate comment. CBJ might be sold someday, but they won't be leaving Columbus.

Old
02-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
Thank you leek, This is a very accurate comment. CBJ might be sold someday, but they won't be leaving Columbus.
Exactly. There is a 0.01% chance that Nationwide lets the Jackets leave and sit on a downtown arena that's empty. Also it's highly unlikely that the NHL and Bettman let the Jackets leave when we proved early on that attendance could be very strong given a compelling on-ice product.

Old
02-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
So which one of you guys wrote the 1st comment on this article?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...daily_20110205

Old
02-05-2011, 10:57 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
So which one of you guys wrote the 1st comment on this article?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...daily_20110205
Why Tommy if the grammar and punctuation were better I would have guessed it was you.

Old
02-05-2011, 11:15 PM
EdwardG
North!

Here's the thing that really bothers me about the Blue Jackets... I always ask myself a simple question: is a team building toward being a champion or are they building toward being a low-end playoff team? I can't answer that the way I want to with the CBJ. You look at the talent on the team and they are not bereft of it, but let's face it: If you compare Columbus with one of the top tier OR up-and-coming younger teams in the league, Nash would be right there with that team's top player, but after that you'd take the next 3-4 players off the opposing team. And a lot of those players are young-- Anaheim, Chicago, etc. That is not a hopeful sign. This team needs to be at the very top of the draft a few times, but seems on a course to endlessly having pick 5-15. I'm happy to see them competing, but alas I just don't see a team serious about trying to put together a cup contender, nor do I see a GM who is finding diamonds in the draft. He hasn't been awful, but is anyone going to say this guy is one of the best talent evaluators out there? Average at best.

Old
02-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
Here's the thing that really bothers me about the Blue Jackets... I always ask myself a simple question: is a team building toward being a champion or are they building toward being a low-end playoff team? I can't answer that the way I want to with the CBJ. You look at the talent on the team and they are not bereft of it, but let's face it: If you compare Columbus with one of the top tier OR up-and-coming younger teams in the league, Nash would be right there with that team's top player, but after that you'd take the next 3-4 players off the opposing team. And a lot of those players are young-- Anaheim, Chicago, etc. That is not a hopeful sign. This team needs to be at the very top of the draft a few times, but seems on a course to endlessly having pick 5-15. I'm happy to see them competing, but alas I just don't see a team serious about trying to put together a cup contender, nor do I see a GM who is finding diamonds in the draft. He hasn't been awful, but is anyone going to say this guy is one of the best talent evaluators out there? Average at best.
It's a tad early to tell on something like that, but for the time being, the 2008 fifth and sixth rounds would have something to say about that.

Calvert, Kubalik, Regner, and Atkinson, in case you were wondering. And 2009's rounds 4 and 5 (Savard and Larkin) are looking pretty decent too.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
02-05-2011, 11:35 PM
EdwardG
North!

Well, and who knows, 6th rounder Steve Mason may still end up being a quality goalie, but what I don't see is this team getting what it really needs: top-flight players instead of Rick Nash - canyon - next best player. That was the overall point. Hope i'm wrong, just not seeing it.

Old
02-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
Well, and who knows, 6th rounder Steve Mason may still end up being a quality goalie, but what I don't see is this team getting what it really needs: top-flight players instead of Rick Nash - canyon - next best player. That was the overall point. Hope i'm wrong, just not seeing it.
3rd-rounder, not 6th-rounder.

Top-level players are usually drafted because the price to acquire one via trade or free agency is prohibitive.

Even the best teams generally have poor records with drafting top-level players, mostly because it's tough to be fortunate enough to get that many top picks.

Old
02-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Hipster Letestu

10 bucks says Niles doesn't make a single move in the next week

Old
02-09-2011, 10:48 PM
jetbluejackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
10 bucks says Niles doesn't make a single move in the next week
I'll take that bet, at some point Moore will be sent down to the minors in favor of Klesla, at least for a game or 2 until he gets hurt again...

oh you meant trade-type move....that's a sucker's bet

Old
02-15-2011, 08:30 AM
blahblah

I think Hunter used this thread for inspiration for his latest masterpiece... :p

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...l.html?sid=101

Nothing new here at all. If you like the status quo, you'll love Howson's responses and do something like this....

If not, you'll probably do something like this...

Old
02-15-2011, 09:47 AM
GreaterGood

Send a message via Skype™ to GreaterGood
Quote:

Don't be so sure about that.

Old
02-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I think Hunter used this thread for inspiration for his latest masterpiece... :p

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...l.html?sid=101

Nothing new here at all. If you like the status quo, you'll love Howson's responses and do something like this....

If not, you'll probably do something like this...
It's Hunter's way of giving the impression he understands or cares about hockey.

Like you said, nothing to see here.

Old
02-16-2011, 06:10 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Why Tommy if the grammar and punctuation were better I would have guessed it was you.
TW's name is TOMMY?

I was imagining "Dirk" or "Stryker"

re: that Dispatch guy's column about why the Jackets should stand pat
...we're all thinking the same thing, admit it.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:27 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
TW's name is TOMMY?

I was imagining "Dirk" or "Stryker"

re: that Dispatch guy's column about why the Jackets should stand pat
...we're all thinking the same thing, admit it.
Of course we are

He isn't saying don't make a move, he's saying don't make a bad move; don't make a stupid move
There's the rub. Beyond the obvious pick and spare parts for the hockey Messiah, what's the right move? I honestly wasn't sure the Leclaire for Vermette deal was the right move at the time. I thought Pascal would be a strong #1 goaltender. Vermette was a 3rd line wing/center
Well that was a win for the CBJ.

What's the "right" move? Most of us fall into that area of "I'm not a chef, I don't know how to cook a great meal, but I know bad food when I taste it."

We can point out the weaknesses and even strengths, we can use hindsight to praise or criticize. We just don't really have the information or know how to really do the job. We don't know a good deal until later.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Of course we are

He isn't saying don't make a move, he's saying don't make a bad move; don't make a stupid move
There's the rub. Beyond the obvious pick and spare parts for the hockey Messiah, what's the right move?
You're right. And everyone's opinion about what is the right move is different. That's why you're reading a lot about the topic. We seem to have moved beyond the "blow it up stage", but there are still widely varied opinions about what the "right" move might be.

Point is, most are in agreement that a "right" move is the proper course. About what makes for a "right" move there is little consensus.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:53 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
You're right. And everyone's opinion about what is the right move is different. That's why you're reading a lot about the topic. We seem to have moved beyond the "blow it up stage", but there are still widely varied opinions about what the "right" move might be.

Point is, most are in agreement that a "right" move is the proper course. About what makes for a "right" move there is little consensus.
Count me among those that feel like nothing will be done until the offseason. I'm somewhat irked again that it took the team as long as it did to "right the ship" in the win/loss column.

Although I see no problems moving out pieces that you can get something for with the exception that you will not be trying to resign them/keep them. I didn't think the playoffs were in the cards this year, nor did I expect them at the beginning of the season, obviously that stand changed a bit when the team was heading into the "thanksgiving weekend massacre" contending for first place in the conference, but now I totally believe that the problems vastly "player driven" vs. last year. I've come down to the realization that my inital thoughts about being 10-12 in the conference will probably end up coming true, and I'm ok with that.

I still feel like Howson needs to make moves this offseason.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:55 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
What's the "right" move? Most of us fall into that area of "I'm not a chef, I don't know how to cook a great meal, but I know bad food when I taste it."
The reality is that perfect moves rarely present themselves at the deadline for buyers.

There are more moves that can be done during the off-season when all 30 teams are attempting to improve (for the most part) and there are free agents to be had--which is why this team's inactivity in the off-season is a continued point of frustration. At the deadline, you have a limited pool of teams involved.

Look at the bottom of the standings, look for UFA's or guys that their team has determined aren't a fit and that is pretty much what you have to work from with a few exceptions where a trade can be made between two contending teams where each trades from stength to address a weakness.

In reality, most deadline trades have not been a great help to the teams making the big splash. The ones that work best seem to be depth moves, not franchise-changing transactions to acquire top-level talent. While most are focused on the center position or acquiring a puck-moving defenseman, depth scoring or a solid shutdown defenseman, areas in which the Jackets are also lacking, might be more attainable without giving up a king's ransom.

Old
02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
The reality is that perfect moves rarely present themselves at the deadline for buyers.

There are more moves that can be done during the off-season when all 30 teams are attempting to improve (for the most part) and there are free agents to be had--which is why this team's inactivity in the off-season is a continued point of frustration. At the deadline, you have a limited pool of teams involved.

Look at the bottom of the standings, look for UFA's or guys that their team has determined aren't a fit and that is pretty much what you have to work from with a few exceptions where a trade can be made between two contending teams where each trades from stength to address a weakness.

In reality, most deadline trades have not been a great help to the teams making the big splash. The ones that work best seem to be depth moves, not franchise-changing transactions to acquire top-level talent. While most are focused on the center position or acquiring a puck-moving defenseman, depth scoring or a solid shutdown defenseman, areas in which the Jackets are also lacking, might be more attainable without giving up a king's ransom.
I agree. My frustration with Howson is that he chose to forego addressing the team's weaknesses before this season, not during the season. He could certainly have acquired top 6 skill (not necessarily a center) AND a better blueline without giving the farm away.

Old
02-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Palinka

Quote:
I agree. My frustration with Howson is that he chose to forego addressing the team's weaknesses before this season, not during the season. He could certainly have acquired top 6 skill (not necessarily a center) AND a better blueline without giving the farm away.
At the same time, it's important to look at the team from last year. There was complete disarray, and a lot of guys who had played very well the season before were looking like a bunch of ECHLers out there. A few players rebounded slightly when Hitchcock was shown the door, but plenty continued to perform at a subpar level.

The last 20 games is a lot closer to what this team is able to do than the previous 15-20 games. Players don't normally develop to a certain point and then regress before hitting their peak, and yet several youngsters from 2008-09 did exactly that. Players past their prime (and not yet washed up) don't normally have enormous declines, and yet a few of the older guys did exactly that.

So, it's perfectly reasonable for Scott Howson to have looked at most of the roster and said, "This guy will continue to develop, this guy will rebound, this guy will rebound, this guy was horrible and will get back on track, and this guy's not getting better but he's not as bad as he played last year." And these weren't blind stabs in the dark either; he wasn't looking at Mike Commodore and believing that he'd be an All-Star, and there wasn't much in the way of "If this" and "If that". If Brassard, Voracek, Mason, Russell, and Stralman continued to look awful with a new coaching staff and a different way of doing things, that's one thing. But to prematurely abort their careers in Columbus at a low return, in what would amount to a knee-jerk reaction to a span of bad games when everyone looked bad, would be crazy.

Old
02-16-2011, 05:50 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
So, it's perfectly reasonable for Scott Howson to have looked at most of the roster and said, "This guy will continue to develop, this guy will rebound, this guy will rebound, this guy was horrible and will get back on track, and this guy's not getting better but he's not as bad as he played last year." And these weren't blind stabs in the dark either; he wasn't looking at Mike Commodore and believing that he'd be an All-Star, and there wasn't much in the way of "If this" and "If that". If Brassard, Voracek, Mason, Russell, and Stralman continued to look awful with a new coaching staff and a different way of doing things, that's one thing. But to prematurely abort their careers in Columbus at a low return, in what would amount to a knee-jerk reaction to a span of bad games when everyone looked bad, would be crazy.
It was not perfectly reasonable to assume the defense as constructed was going to be significantly better with a new coach whose system required defensemen to be more fleet of foot. It should have been pretty obvious that Mike Commodore, on the wrong side of 30 and having wasted a year of his career because of poor conditioning, was not going to suddenly become a better player than he had ever been before in Arniel's system.

It was also not reasonable, no matter how much improvement he thought could be made by players rebounding to assume that all of them would rebound under a new coach and a new system. Some of them were just as likely to struggle to adjust to the change.

With those things in mind, how many more points was it reasonable to assume the team would get by putting out the same squad again with only the addition of Moreau? Particularly when a team with a very similar core barely squeaked into the playoffs two years ago. Was it the right move for a GM of a team with a dwindling fan base to simply hope for improvement or should he have gone out and made some upgrades to improve the team's chances instead of rolling the dice? I think my opinion on this is obvious--you can never make the playoffs a certainty, but you can certainly make moves to make it a probability instead of a mere chance.

I think your own personal biases from whatever your relationship is with the team and its GM have blinded you to how much of a risk this GM took by standing pat.

Closed Thread