HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Howson Thread

View Poll Results: Should Scott Howson be fired?
Yes 85 59.03%
No 59 40.97%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2010, 12:09 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Lol, I have no idea how to respond to this, but I'll givei t a shot.

6 games in, Let's trade Brassard. Mason isn't the same, Filatov is going off to Russia again. Voracek is overrated, and hey, let's strip Nash's C for the hell of it.

You guys expected a playoff team with a ROOKIE coach, a inexperienced roster, and brand new system that is the COMPLETE opposite of the system a year ago.

There will be growing pains, but Howson has this year to breathe, because of all the changes that take time to set in. Hes safe for now. But if we are last in the league at the draft or the losing continues next year I could see this being a possibility, but not right now.
Sure what the hell, keep Ohio's record perfect..we have the NFL's Cleveland Clowns and Cincinnati Bungles, MLB's Tribe and the little Red Machine, and oh yes the Columbus Clueless Jackets.

Old
10-23-2010, 12:41 PM
odd brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Sure what the hell, keep Ohio's record perfect..we have the NFL's Cleveland Clowns and Cincinnati Bungles, MLB's Tribe and the little Red Machine, and oh yes the Columbus Clueless Jackets.
The Reds made the playoffs this year. Plus, they do have baseball-competent people in charge and ownership that wants to win. So let's not dump on them, shall we?

For me, I was disappointed at how this team lacks (and has lacked) a positive identity. They got pushed around last night like band geeks on a playground. There's no guts, no consistency, and no passion that I've seen.

Old
10-23-2010, 12:46 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:

6 games in, Let's trade Brassard. Mason isn't the same, Filatov is going off to Russia again. Voracek is overrated, and hey, let's strip Nash's C for the hell of it.

You guys expected a playoff team with a ROOKIE coach, a inexperienced roster, and brand new system that is the COMPLETE opposite of the system a year ago.

There will be growing pains, but Howson has this year to breathe, because of all the changes that take time to set in. Hes safe for now. But if we are last in the league at the draft or the losing continues next year I could see this being a possibility, but not right now.
Growing pains does not describe the total lack of effort. To me, growing pains means working through problems implementing the rookie coach's system and gaining experience by playing and learning through mistakes. It might look sloppy, but I would think it would at least look urgent. But I'm not seeing that. I don't see hard work. I don't see fundamentals. They look slow and they can't complete a pass. What I've seen in 2 of 3 home games so far is a team that has no spirit and gives up almost before they step out on the ice.

Old
10-23-2010, 12:56 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd brian View Post
The Reds made the playoffs this year. Plus, they do have baseball-competent people in charge and ownership that wants to win. So let's not dump on them, shall we?

For me, I was disappointed at how this team lacks (and has lacked) a positive identity. They got pushed around last night like band geeks on a playground. There's no guts, no consistency, and no passion that I've seen.
Sure, they made the playoffs for the first time in years and got swept. Sound familiar?

Old
10-23-2010, 01:05 PM
postalpez

I miss dougy mack

Old
10-23-2010, 01:22 PM
odd brian

Quote:
Sure, they made the playoffs for the first time in years and got swept. Sound familiar?
Yah, but they will be back. And I have more faith in the Reds than I do in the Jackets. The difference is, they have a GM who knows what he's doing. They're not bumbling baboons like in Columbus.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:29 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

Look at the attendance-there is no free pass this year for Howson. A team already losing $10s of millions cannot afford 2 more years of poor attendance. They will not get an arena bailout from the politicians that way.

Old
10-23-2010, 01:53 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Look at the attendance-there is no free pass this year for Howson. A team already losing $10s of millions cannot afford 2 more years of poor attendance. They will not get an arena bailout from the politicians that way.
While I agree with this, I think there is more to the story. The entire franchise needs to get focused on excellence. Get a vision, build a plan to achieve that vision. That vision needs to encompass the hockey operations, sales, marketing, game operations, everything. Build a culture of high expectations and high levels of accountability. The list is long, but as a long time Season Ticket Holder and a business person, I recognize corporate Attention Deficit Disorder, lack of vision and lack of accountability when I see it. Almost everything that comes from the CBJ looks as if someone had a "good idea," so they tried it. Great organizations are focused on continuous improvement and an unwavering commitment to high standards. Can you honestly show any evidence of this culture in this franchise?

Old
10-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
While I agree with this, I think there is more to the story. The entire franchise needs to get focused on excellence. Get a vision, build a plan to achieve that vision. That vision needs to encompass the hockey operations, sales, marketing, game operations, everything. Build a culture of high expectations and high levels of accountability. The list is long, but as a long time Season Ticket Holder and a business person, I recognize corporate Attention Deficit Disorder, lack of vision and lack of accountability when I see it. Almost everything that comes from the CBJ looks as if someone had a "good idea," so they tried it. Great organizations are focused on continuous improvement and an unwavering commitment to high standards. Can you honestly show any evidence of this culture in this franchise?
The best bet we have of that is coming from Arniel/Boughner/Berry/Hinote. We already know it won't come from JMac Jr. or Priest or Howson.

This is where having a coaching staff of young guys fresh out of the league comes into play. We need guys who are willing to say mean things to the players, not baby their egos. Tell 'em straight.

Old
10-23-2010, 02:40 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
This is where having a coaching staff of young guys fresh out of the league comes into play. We need guys who are willing to say mean things to the players, not baby their egos. Tell 'em straight.
While your statement here is accurate, didnt Hitch tell it straight without babying their ego's?

Howson has put together a weak roster. There's not enough skill nor toughness on this roster. I don't think there's a coaching staff in the world that can win with these players.

Old
10-23-2010, 03:16 PM
odd brian

What Calgary did last night made me embarrassed to have supported this team for so long. I want to just throw up my hands and give up, but I can't because I love it too much. But I can't watch too many more games like that. I want this team to show some heart. I want some winning Hockey. I'm tired of the laziness and the timidity.

We're stuck with the players and management. The only differences from this season and last are Arniel and his staff. It's him that I'm counting on to make the necessary changes.

Old
10-23-2010, 07:10 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
It's tempting ...

... to pick up the pitchfork and join the crusade. Last night was as disgusted as I've been since Gerard Gallant said he "was not unhappy with the team's effort" in a blowout loss to Detroit.

But this team can not consistently be as lousy as it looked last night. At least, I don't think it can.

Yes, there is timidity, and there are glaring holes, and sweeping changes need to happen for this team to begin winning back fans. Some of the prized youngsters will have to be dumped, and some of the veterans need to be surgically removed like a ruptured appendix.

But there is some real talent here, and some more in Springfield. The team has been drafting better.

Making changes just for the sake of changing things is not a road map to improvement. Lynching the GM less than a dozen games into the season is not going to help anything unless you've got somebody better to put in his place.

As much as it grinds my gears, and as disgusted as I was yesterday (and am prepared to be tonight) now is not the time to torch the citadel. Not quite yet.

Last edited by TBJF: 10-24-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Tyops
Old
10-23-2010, 10:00 PM
cbjfan

Beating the defending Stanley Cup champs in Chicago.

Howson for GM of the Year!

But, seriously, this just shows how ludicrous it is to have a thread like this 6 or 7 games into the season.

Old
10-23-2010, 10:03 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjfan View Post

But, seriously, this just shows how ludicrous it is to have a thread like this 6 or 7 games into the season.
Talk to us again when we're not losing by 3 or 4 goals a game, at home, on a regular basis.

Old
10-23-2010, 10:05 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:

Unless I missed something, this isn't Howson's first year with the team. So, we're more than 7 games in.

It was a nice win. But let's not kid ourselves. Howson did little to nothing to make this team's odds of making the playoffs better this off-season.

Old
10-23-2010, 10:51 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Bless you!!! I've been trying to get the same point across from many months.

Old
10-23-2010, 10:57 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:

This is Howson's third full year, not his seventh game. This is this business's 13th year as a functioning business, and tenth season as a hockey team, not its seventh game.

There is no commitment to excellence throughout. The very first step is a commitment to excellence in Hockey Operations, followed by a blue print- how does management build a team? What is a Blue Jacket player? If you want to know the key to the Red Wings success in spite of their late drafting positions, that is the first step.

That's how a team gets a Datsyuk and a Zetterberg where they got them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Unless I missed something, this isn't Howson's first year with the team. So, we're more than 7 games in.

It was a nice win. But let's not kid ourselves. Howson did little to nothing to make this team's odds of making the playoffs better this off-season.
Sorry, I must disagree. I don't count a 35 year old waiver wire pickup who gets $2 million yearly to play on the third line as doing something to improve the team for this season. I opine he did nothing.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 10-23-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old
10-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
This is Howson's third full year, not his seventh game. This is this business's 13th year as a functioning business, and tenth season as a hockey team, not its seventh game.

There is no commitment to excellence throughout. The very first step is a commitment to excellence in Hockey Operations, followed by a blue print- how does management build a team? What is a Blue Jacket player? If you want to know the key to the Red Wings success in spite of their late drafting positions, that is the first step.

That's how a team gets a Datsyuk and a Zetterberg where they got them.

Sorry, I must disagree. I don't count a 35 year old waiver wire pickup who gets $2 million yearly to play on the third line as doing something to improve the team for this season. I opine he did nothing.
You're not one of the usual complainers, so let me ask you a question.

How long should a GM who was building from worse then scratch and who didn't get to pick the head coach for the first 2.75 years of his tenure get?

10-24-2010, 11:45 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
You're not one of the usual complainers, so let me ask you a question.

How long should a GM who was building from worse then scratch and who didn't get to pick the head coach for the first 2.75 years of his tenure get?
Very fair question. I view my perspective as someone who typically looks for the positive in any situation, and have considered myself a part of the "sunshine patrol." In fact while I usually read this board, I only post sporadically due to frustration with knee-jerk negative posts.

I can't give a specific time, but rather my perspective on the process. I think if Howson and the rest of hockey operations had an unwavering commitment to excellence, and showed results towards that goal then we would not have the conversation. I believe once I realized a few things, my patience ran out:

When in his third full year, the Manager decided that a 14th place team's roster needed no improvement.

The lack of truly high standards in the CBJ organization.

Lack of a visible cohesive plan

I realized the Jackets marketing and promotions department is so focused on "good ideas," they are killing season ticket sales.

Comparing the overall operation to good operations like Detroit, Philadelphia and the Rocky Wirtz (as opposed to his father Bill) Chicago operation.

I'm pissed because I woke up and realized, the franchise's lack of standards, accountability and vision mean we will eventually have no team in Columbus; and maybe even more tragic, by that time few of us will even care when they leave.

Old
10-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

This entire thread is a joke, right?

It takes more than a couple of years to un-do the Dougie Mac era, and as far as I'm concerned Scott Howson is doing a good job.

When did D-Mac ever have a "too many quality defensemen for the AHL" problem?

Plus, Scott traded Pascal Leclaire (while he was injured!!!) for Antoine Vermette - a move so unfair he should be arrested for it.

Old
10-24-2010, 12:26 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post

This entire thread is a joke, right?

It takes more than a couple of years to un-do the Dougie Mac era, and as far as I'm concerned Scott Howson is doing a good job.
You're starting to sound like Washington and the excuses on the economy. It's been 3 years. How long does it take to undo 7 years? 3? 7? 3 years is plenty of time to ice a completive team.

I've grown very weary with the excuses. The joke is the constant excuses and justifications.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
You're starting to sound like Washington and the excuses on the economy. It's been 3 years. How long does it take to undo 7 years? 3? 7? 3 years is plenty of time to ice a completive team.

I've grown very weary with the excuses. The joke is the constant excuses and justifications.
And I would venture to say this team is in much better shape than it was three years ago.

Like it or lump it, this team is much more talented than it ever was under D-Mac. Just because the team isn't performing as hard as they can, doesn't mean it's all Howson's fault. Sure, he hired the coach - but the coach has only been in there for a handful of games.

I get sick of the panic button threads. It's 7 games into the season and we are 3 points out of first, with one of the youngest teams in the league.

This will be my final post in this ridiculous thread, that's the only insight I feel I need to provide. Nobody expected us to dominate this year and win the Stanley Cup, as far as I'm concerned, the Jackets are doing exactly what I expected them to.

Old
10-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
with one of the youngest teams in the league.
That's another excuse I get tired of hearing.

Average age of the Jackets is 27.1
Average age of the LA Kings is 25.4
Average age of the Avalanche 26.0
Average age of the Blackhawks is the same as us, 27.

3 of those 4 teams made the playoffs last year with one winning the Cup. Maybe our young players just aren't good?? But the excuse of us losing shouldn't be young players when other teams with young players are clearly better than us.

Old
10-24-2010, 03:03 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
And I would venture to say this team is in much better shape than it was three years ago.

Like it or lump it, this team is much more talented than it ever was under D-Mac. Just because the team isn't performing as hard as they can, doesn't mean it's all Howson's fault. Sure, he hired the coach - but the coach has only been in there for a handful of games.

I get sick of the panic button threads. It's 7 games into the season and we are 3 points out of first, with one of the youngest teams in the league.

This will be my final post in this ridiculous thread, that's the only insight I feel I need to provide. Nobody expected us to dominate this year and win the Stanley Cup, as far as I'm concerned, the Jackets are doing exactly what I expected them to.

You're joking aren't you?

Do you think this is a panic thread?

This team has steadily been losing support for years. I go to almost every game, the last two games had the smallest crowds I've ever seen there. There were fewer people at both home games this week than there were at a blizzard game, when the conditions were so bad the game was delayed an hour because the Edmonton Oilers' bus couldn't get to the arena. Couple that situation with a home OSU basketball game vs. Michigan at the same time.IIRC, this was a terrible Gerard Gallant coached Jackets team too. Even still there were lots more fans at the Jackets game that night. You can choose to excuse the team and business's overall lack of success. You can say, "Hey, it's a new day. a new staff, they are pretty young, as young as the defending Stanley Cup Champs."

The market is abandoning the CBJ. It's not that hockey doesn't sell in Columbus, the fans are tired of ineptitude.Poor attendance also means problems attracting sponsorship revenues and corporate spending. This means lower revenues. Lower revenues mean less money for players. A smaller budget for players means less talent. Less talent usually means a worse team. It's a downward spiral. Time is running out on this inept operation.

Perhaps they will succeed under a different owner in a new city. That's the most likely scenario unless major changes take place.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 10-24-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old
10-24-2010, 03:25 PM
blahblah

Quote:
It's not in better shape then it was two years ago. It's pretty much the same it was last year.

Closed Thread