HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Howson Thread

View Poll Results: Should Scott Howson be fired?
Yes 85 59.03%
No 59 40.97%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2010, 11:24 PM
wahsnairb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I agree, but who picks the players? The general manager.
i think howson is putting a good enough/playoff caliber team out on the ice (with the exception of mason and stralman right now who did not earn new contracts they were given)

Old
12-04-2010, 11:28 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
i think howson is putting a good enough/playoff caliber team out on the ice (with the exception of mason and stralman right now who did not earn new contracts they were given)
Agreed on Mason and Stralman. And the power play?

Old
12-04-2010, 11:33 PM
BluejacketNut

This team is far from a playoff caliber team....the Pens, and Wings are playoff caliber teams, and they barely broke a sweat in beating us. Buffalo might not be a playoff caliber team, but they brushed us away like lint. We're far from a playoff caliber team

Old
12-04-2010, 11:38 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
This team is far from a playoff caliber team....the Pens, and Wings are playoff caliber teams, and they barely broke a sweat in beating us. Buffalo might not be a playoff caliber team, but they brushed us away like lint. We're far from a playoff caliber team
3-2 over the sharks
3-2 over the hawks
2-1 over the flyers
3-0 over the habs
8-1 over the blues
5-3 over the kings
3-0 over the sharks
2-0 over the preds (less impressive, sure)

as well as 2 1-goal losses to detroit (with an empty net in the 2nd) that could have gone our way had we been a little more fortunate

i think we are definitely a playoff capable/caliber team and we have beat many other playoff teams, but that is just MY opinion.

Old
12-04-2010, 11:48 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

This sums up the problem with this franchise. The goal is NOT to be a playoff-caliber team. The goal should be to be a CHAMPIONSHIP caliber team!

Old
12-04-2010, 11:53 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
This sums up the problem with this franchise. The goal is NOT to be a playoff-caliber team. The goal should be to be a CHAMPIONSHIP caliber team!
anyone who makes the playoffs can win the championship.. see: philadelphia flyers

WE HAVE TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP

but i agree completely. we shouldn't be aiming to be good, we should be aiming to be unbelievable. oh, and i am not even going to touch that powerplay comment as it would take me the rest of the night to answer.

Old
12-05-2010, 12:05 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
anyone who makes the playoffs can win the championship.. see: philadelphia flyers

WE HAVE TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP

but i agree completely. we shouldn't be aiming to be good, we should be aiming to be unbelievable. oh, and i am not even going to touch that powerplay comment as it would take me the rest of the night to answer.
Hitchcock couldn't get these players to excel at the power play. Noel couldn't get these players to excel at the power play. Arniel can't get these players to excel at the power play. I think you see where I'm going with this.

Old
12-05-2010, 02:09 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
The only thing more premature then saying that the team was a playoff team pre-3rd jerseys? Saying that these 2 loses are how it's going to be for the rest of the season.

We're at rock bottom right now. I'm interested to see how the team responds.
We were at rock bottom after getting beat home on home by Detroit in this fans opinion and responeded with getting beat out of the park by Buffalo and Pittsburgh.. (lets not forget we were in position to lead the entire Western Conference-it's not as though we were ranked 30th in the league prior to those games)

Heads need to roll.. Howson is on the clock now.

Last edited by Robert: 12-05-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old
12-05-2010, 02:29 AM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

I've always wondered why hiring somebody from Edmonton was considered a good idea. (Nothing against the Oilers mind you)

Old
12-05-2010, 02:55 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
This so-called "beancounter" GM gave pretty much everyone a contract they didn't earn. We always here the line "we probably overpaid him a little, but..." with regards to everyone on this team. We overpaid free agents--Huselius and Commodore. We traded for overpaid players--Clark and Moreau. And then we topped it off by even overpaying homegrown talent which was where we were allegedly going to save money in order to be a winning team on a budget--Russell, Brassard, and, soon enough, Voracek, mark my words.

And what did we get for that money? A bunch of quitters, who slump their shoulders everytime they are dealt the slightest bit of adversity.

These bunch of millionaires need to look at the economy around them in Ohio, the United States and the world and realize the people who pay to see them have tough financial decisions to make. They face real adversity, not just a game. And when you routinely crap the bed on the rare occasion that you do get a sellout, don't expect to see them coming back.

Yes, no doubt Howson bares a lot of the blame. And, I've already said--no playoffs, no Howson. But the players also deserve good bit of the blame. These guys don't need a coach, they need a psychiatrist. How you can win in difficult places like San Jose and LA and have a sub-.500 home record is beyond me.

Old
12-05-2010, 08:34 AM
BluejacketNut

The problem again on the players side is lack of leadership. Post game broadcast features interviews with RJ, Commodore, and Arniel. This mornings write up features interviews with RJ and Arniel. The On The Fly recap had interview with Crosby, the Capitals (afer loss) interview was with Ovechkin....whats missing? Nash's opinion! No wonder he likes Columbus so much. But I dont fully put that on Nash's shoulders as he should never have been the captain anyway, this was Howsons fault by giving them no other option other then to stick him as captain. RJ should be the captain, plain and simple, he already is to the media, so may as well make it official.

Those expected to carry the load (top six) are still a bunch of kids, lead by a kid. Hitch his laughing his arse off somewhere having dinner paid by the CBJ

Old
12-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
The problem again on the players side is lack of leadership. Post game broadcast features interviews with RJ, Commodore, and Arniel. This mornings write up features interviews with RJ and Arniel. The On The Fly recap had interview with Crosby, the Capitals (afer loss) interview was with Ovechkin....whats missing? Nash's opinion! No wonder he likes Columbus so much. But I dont fully put that on Nash's shoulders as he should never have been the captain anyway, this was Howsons fault by giving them no other option other then to stick him as captain. RJ should be the captain, plain and simple, he already is to the media, so may as well make it official.

Those expected to carry the load (top six) are still a bunch of kids, lead by a kid. Hitch his laughing his arse off somewhere having dinner paid by the CBJ
From Puck-Rakers this morning:

Quote:
-- Jackets captain Rick Nash on what he would tell the fans: “I don’t know, I guess, ‘believe in us because we believe in ourselves,’” Nash said. “We are only a point out of the playoffs or whatever it is right now and it’s only December . . . Stick with us and believe in us.”
Don't assume that someone didn't speak to the media just because the media felt like quoting other people. Nash always speaks after wins or losses, he just usually isn't as outspoken as R.J. or Commie.

Old
12-05-2010, 09:27 AM
BluejacketNut

Point being, RJ is much more of a spokesman then our Captain is

Old
12-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
i think howson has actually done a pretty respectable job considering the constricting and frugal ownershiphe is working for..
a lot of this is the players.. we have a team that is capable of winning (we proved that before this awful streak). we came out hitting and playing hard for a few minutes, but a couple soft goals in the net and this team called it a night.. that's the players.
I can't agree with this. A $54M payroll is not frugile. Sure, we can say spend to the cap but on what. This team has more holes than swiss cheese and the development has been terrible. I've been a Howson supporter but I'm sick of this. Day one season ticket holder and my seats aint the cheap ones. However, what can we seriously get for anyone on this roster? We look like lost puppies which only makes the trade value go up right? (Sarcasm).

And to think we can't even blame Huselius for this one.

Old
12-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Point being, RJ is much more of a spokesman then our Captain is
Because leadership is nothing more then giving a 25 second interview consisting of different variations of the sentence "They worked really hard."

Do you even believe what you're posting?

12-05-2010, 10:11 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Because leadership is nothing more then giving a 25 second interview consisting of different variations of the sentence "They worked really hard."

Do you even believe what you're posting?
I do, RJ is much more visible as the spokesman then anyone else on the team. He's the interview shown, he's the one commented, if I didnt know Nash was the captain, I would honestly think that RJ was the captain

Old
12-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Quote:
I do, RJ is much more visible as the spokesman then anyone else on the team. He's the interview shown, he's the one commented, if I didnt know Nash was the captain, I would honestly think that RJ was the captain
If that's the case, wouldn't Commodore be the tr00est choice for captain? He interviewed during the game in Buffalo.

Old
12-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Sam, I think you're in the minority here. Alot of fans are getting frustrated, so it's not just me.

http://www.lightthelamp.com/2010-art....html#comments
Am I frustrated? Absolutely. But it's still important to note that even with the 5 game losing streak, we're still above water in the west. Things are just balancing out after the west coast trip. At least the team was smart enough to get blown out by Eastern teams.

Let's earn American respect before we earn Canadian respect.

Old
12-05-2010, 11:15 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
If that's the case, wouldn't Commodore be the tr00est choice for captain? He interviewed during the game in Buffalo.
Couldnt wait to pull your "tr00est" troll line huh?

Old
12-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Quote:
Couldnt wait to pull your "tr00est" troll line huh?
How about you post something of substance instead of the standard whinefest with a bunch of garbage reasons to back it up?

Then let's see what you'll get.

Old
12-05-2010, 12:00 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
How about you post something of substance instead of the standard whinefest with a bunch of garbage reasons to back it up?

Then let's see what you'll get.
Oooh, I like this! A moderator with attitude. (no sarcasm intended, not one bit!)

Old
12-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Oooh, I like this! A moderator with attitude. (no sarcasm intended, not one bit!)
How could we ever doubt a GM with a long history of success like Howson? How silly of us.
Since we fire everyone way too late, we'll have to miss the playoffs this year and next to get him fired.

Old
12-05-2010, 12:26 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
How could we ever doubt a GM with a long history of success like Howson? How silly of us.
Since we fire everyone way too late, we'll have to miss the playoffs this year and next to get him fired.
TW, I'm wasn't saying I disagreed with you. I was saying I appreciated the non-PC approach of the moderator.

While Howson has done a lot of things right - especially developing depth and structured player development where precious little existed before - he's responsible for choosing the players that can't score on the power play, hang their heads at the first sign of adversity, and don't support the fans who support them by getting blown out on home ice. If he doesn't make changes - the RIGHT changes - and soon, he should be fired.

Old
12-05-2010, 12:28 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:

Let's earn American respect before we earn Canadian respect.
Off subject but I think we all need to either fully embrace this or drop it. We need to laugh at ourselves (First 10 yrs don't count) or hope that everyone eventually forgets.

Old
12-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
TW, I'm wasn't saying I disagreed with you. I was saying I appreciated the non-PC approach of the moderator.

While Howson has done a lot of things right - especially developing depth and structured player development where precious little existed before - he's responsible for choosing the players that can't score on the power play, hang their heads at the first sign of adversity, and don't support the fans who support them by getting blown out on home ice. If he doesn't make changes - the RIGHT changes - and soon, he should be fired.
I wasn't attacking you, just quoting you, sorry. I just wanted to know why the Howson supporters have so much undying love and support for the guy. What has he done to earn so much rope?? Our playoff appearance should be credited to Hitchcock and Mason. Hitch was fired, yes, but the system he had in place worked wonderfully for that particular season.
We still have the same holes on the team since the day he was hired, and there's a few other holes too, right behind the jersey logo on the sweaters, where the heart should be.

Closed Thread