Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Ott

Old
11-09-2011, 01:28 PM
PearJuice*

vCash: 500
Steve Ott

I've been having trouble finding any info on his injury status. Does anyone know if the injury is serious? What is the time frame?

Also, is Ott likely to play with the Benn line if/when he returns? Or has Ryder taken his spot now?

PearJuice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Ott will probably go with Morrow and Ribeiro, given that the Benn line is producing oodles of points. Maybe if they cool off they'll get a shuffle.

And I assume he is questionable at worst for Friday and Saturday.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 01:42 PM
PearJuice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearJuice View Post
I've been having trouble finding any info on his injury status. Does anyone know if the injury is serious? What is the time frame?

Also, is Ott likely to play with the Benn line if/when he returns? Or has Ryder taken his spot now?
Ok thanks. Sounds like the injury isn't too serious I guess.

Also, what are the PP units going to look like when Ott comes back?

And, on an unrelated note, how is Goligoski playing this year?

PearJuice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:

And, on an unrelated note, how is Goligoski playing this year?
Morrow-Ribeiro-Ryder Robidas-Gogo
Eriksson-Benn-Ott Daley-Souray

Currently Burish has taken Ott's spot.

Goligoski has been good. Taken some time to adjust to the system, but he's getting there. I don't think he fits with Pardy at all, who he has been playing with mainly.

Old
11-09-2011, 02:34 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
I wouldn't say Goligoski has been good. He's been one of the few disappointments, at least compared to the way he played last year.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 02:56 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
As much as it pains me I have to agree with Piqued, Goose has not had a good start to the year. Winning masks problems but if things weren't going so well atm we'd be calling out Goose pretty regularly. He set a high standard last year and he's been pretty bad with the turnovers so far this year.

Souray's taken part of his production, but I think the PP pairings have the most to do with this. While we have a top 10 PP Morrow and Riberio's unit has been atrocious, and Goose is part of that unit. Last year he got a lot of points on the #1 unit with Brad. I don't think its a coincidence that Souray is flying on the Benn unit while Goose is struggling on the Riberio unit.

When the PP slumps I think it'd be worth switching the D paring units. The Goose-Robidas pairing is utilizing Gully's D-in-the-slot strategy but hasn't really done anything with it. Benn's unit relies on getting the puck to Souray and scoring off teh rebound. I think that strategy works better with Morrow/Ott there to clean that up and be in front of the net, while the D-in-the-slot strategy could work better with playmakers like Benn and Loui. Goose might just be on the wrong unit atm, or need Morrow/Ribs to break out of their slump.

I will say the transition game is miles ahead of what it was at the beginning of the season, and Goose is a large part of why.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
As much as it pains me I have to agree with Piqued, Goose has not had a good start to the year. Winning masks problems but if things weren't going so well atm we'd be calling out Goose pretty regularly. He set a high standard last year and he's been pretty bad with the turnovers so far this year.

Souray's taken part of his production, but I think the PP pairings have the most to do with this. While we have a top 10 PP Morrow and Riberio's unit has been atrocious, and Goose is part of that unit. Last year he got a lot of points on the #1 unit with Brad. I don't think its a coincidence that Souray is flying on the Benn unit while Goose is struggling on the Riberio unit.

When the PP slumps I think it'd be worth switching the D paring units. The Goose-Robidas pairing is utilizing Gully's D-in-the-slot strategy but hasn't really done anything with it. Benn's unit relies on getting the puck to Souray and scoring off teh rebound. I think that strategy works better with Morrow/Ott there to clean that up and be in front of the net, while the D-in-the-slot strategy could work better with playmakers like Benn and Loui. Goose might just be on the wrong unit atm, or need Morrow/Ribs to break out of their slump.

I will say the transition game is miles ahead of what it was at the beginning of the season, and Goose is a large part of why.
I would agree that Gogo's PP woes stem from Morrow's and Ribeiro's inability to generate offense. His transition game has been excellent. I'm still waiting for Gogo to get put with Souray. I can't really see a downside to that other than Gogo isn't overly excellent defensively, but he's fast enough to get back and stop breakaways if Souray gets picked at the point.

I would much rather have a super strong #1 PP unit like Vancouver rolls around with (Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Salo/Ehrhoff last year). But the way Ribeiro and Morrow have been struggling to generate offense...

I dunno. He's not been that bad besides some turnovers. We've been consistently pressured by other teams' forechecks, but most of the time we get it out of trouble. He's still second on the team in points, and if someone could get his qualcomp and qualteam notes (which I attribute to his -3)...

Old
11-09-2011, 04:47 PM
txomisc

Goli has been solid defensively so far. He hasnt exactly been paired with a d partner who is capable of providing any offense so far and it doesnt help that he has been the guy whos partner is swapped in and out of the lineup.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 05:40 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Back to the topic at hand, Mark just updated that Ott won't join the team for the last 2 games of the road trip:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars...-stars-on-trip

Tuesday at home vs the Panthers seems like the most logical guess.

Old
11-10-2011, 07:25 AM
None More Negative*

[QUOTE=PearJuice;39189851]Ok thanks. Sounds like the injury isn't too serious I guess.

And, on an unrelated note, how is Goligoski playing this year?[/QUOTE]

Like **** to be honest..Never liked his style and I really hope he doesnt fit in the long term plans of the team..

None More Negative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:31 AM
starsfan4ever

[QUOTE=Dead Again;39220551]
Quote:

And, on an unrelated note, how is Goligoski playing this year?[/QUOTE]

Like **** to be honest..Never liked his style and I really hope he doesnt fit in the long term plans of the team..
LOL

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 10:36 AM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
ready for ott to come back and spark ribs n morrow.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 03:12 PM
ScubaSteve*

It's no coincidence that the Benn line started producing as soon as they got rid of Ott.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 03:27 PM
TangoMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
It's no coincidence that the Benn line started producing as soon as they got rid of Ott.
But I thought that you said that Benn sucks? Hell, everyone sucks right?

TangoMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Apt observation.

I wouldn't go as far to say Ott's an offensive black hole up there, but I've never seen him as a top-six player.

11-10-2011, 05:32 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Pretty sure Loui had 6 of his 8 goals with Ott as the LW. Keep trying though.

Old
11-10-2011, 07:00 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Yeah, that's total nonsense. Ott was playing some of the best hockey of his career.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:31 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Scubasteve cracks me up. He's kind of like that draft-dodging hippy uncle who shows up for Thanksgiving once every five years and manages to pick a fight with everybody at the table, including the 85 year old great aunt everyone adores.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Scubasteve cracks me up. He's kind of like that draft-dodging hippy uncle who shows up for Thanksgiving once every five years and manages to pick a fight with everybody at the table, including the 85 year old great aunt everyone adores.
Didn't know Kritter was that old.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote