Notices

General Stars Talk Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2011, 05:54 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

vCash: 500
Bard Richards is our fifth rounder from a couple of years back. He smashed Lemieux's CHL goal scoring record in his last WHL season, but the Stars didn't sign him because, allegedly, he was demanding 900k and the Stars would only go up to 850k.

Old
04-29-2011, 10:14 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...cmpid=rss-hunt

Old
04-29-2011, 10:28 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Did anyone else click on "Jeff Woywitka Highlights" just to see what could possibly happen? I thought for a second they had actually gone to the trouble of putting together an edited package of clips. Nope. Just the stock nhl.com goal archive for each player. So after the first 2 you're already back in 2009 and watching Blackhawks vs. Blues.

Now if you were making a highlight video of Ralph's best goal calls for 2010-11, Woywitka's Anaheim floater from the blueline has got to be in there. The amount of bemusement he conveys through his voice is truly remarkable.

Old
04-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Nullus Reverentia

I'm sure Woywitkas a nice person and they like him in the lockeroom but with him as a top 6 defensemen we're going nowhere.

Old
04-29-2011, 10:44 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
I'm sure Woywitkas a nice person and they like him in the lockeroom but with him as a top 6 defensemen we're going nowhere.
You mean top 4, right? The article makes it clear that's what he is.

Old
04-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

I knew I hated Daley. Stop encouraging him!

Old
05-02-2011, 03:22 PM
vofty

Maybe some of ya'll had already seen this but I hadn't it is a classic BMW ad

http://vimeo.com/21212001

Old
05-02-2011, 03:27 PM
vofty

Good interview with Ludwig:
http://www.scoreboarddaily.com/daily/?p=2483
Quote:
ScoreBoard: The other main addition came late in the season with the trade for defenseman Alex Goligoski. I think the reviews for him across the board seem pretty solid. And he’s young too, only 25.

Ludwig: Having solid blue-liners is another key to getting Kari to the elite level. I think Alex was a great addition by Joe of a very solid number two defenseman. The key is to have good pairs of defensemen, lines one through three. Think Zubov and Hatcher. Matvichuk and me. Stephane Robidas plays 28 minutes a game and I love his game, but he should be your number three or four. Add a solid number one and pair him with Goligoski, then Robi moves to the second pairing and you have Trevor (Daley), Fistric, Grossman…now you’re talking about a very solid unit 1-6.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:47 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
But a 2011 playoff appearance wasn’t, so to speak, in the stars for the boys from Dallas.
Stopped reading.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Haha, even Ludwig downplays Sydor. Nice.

Old
05-22-2011, 09:53 PM
piqued

OK, so I was perusing some SM-liiga stats from the past year and a name jumped out at me in the goaltending leaderboard: Eero Kilpeläinen

Remember him? Drafted back in 2003 (3 guesses what round) and played only 1 season in the OHL before returning to Finland.

Anyway, fast forward 7 years and he had a .933 SV% for Ässät over a robust 53 games. That put him very close to tops in the league, and for clear #1 starters it was the best. Ässät rode his play to 2nd in the standings during the regular season.

Now obviously we don't hold his rights anymore, but it just seems like if we ever needed a goalie, for whatever reason, he'd be a better bet than the Gustavsson/Rynnas project-types of the world. Just an interesting option especially when you remember that Dallas and Ässät have a history of working together.

Old
05-23-2011, 12:35 AM
glovesave_35
Name

I'm noticing Kilpeläinen's numbers, especially his GAA improved pretty significantly this year compared to the prior season, or the season before that (where his GP was pretty similar to 2010-11). Does anyone, especially any Finnish posters have any information to pass along that could explain this? Were there any new additions to the club's skaters? Was there a coaching change? I'm curious to see what factors may have led to his very solid season. I notice that the team's leading scorer had 42 points in 60 games. While I understand that the SM-liiga is a pretty low scoring league in general, they seem to be a hard-scoring team. Are they a pretty solid defensive team aside from the goaltending?

Old
05-23-2011, 09:31 PM
walle

Eero had a solid season and most of all he was consistent and played like #1 should do. Ässät is a low profile team so most of all players played exremely well with help of good couching and Eero as a last lock they were pretty good team. In playoffs he was good but (Ducks signee Tarkki) was better at series Ässät lost. He signed 2-year to Jokerit Helsinki and is expected to be a #1 for a league contender. Will be interesting how that turns out. New team, more pressure, new goaltending couch... Jokerit-fans seem to be a bit sceptical about him so far - mostly because of his size 182cm and thinness. I think they would have preferred to keep Jan Lasak. NHL? He needs to take next step with Jokerit and prove he is the real elite goaltender in Sm-liiga.

Old
05-23-2011, 09:54 PM
piqued

Well that's interesting. So he'll be playing behind J. Klingberg. Maybe through keeping a close watch on his development Kilpeläinen also gets back on their radar.

Old
05-29-2011, 10:22 AM
piqued

Apparently Stu's contract as an assistant has expired. I hadn't seen that mentioned before.

Old
05-29-2011, 02:41 PM
glovesave_35
Name

I imagine he'll be back, especially if Muller is the guy.

Old
06-02-2011, 01:49 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

According to Langenbrunner's agent, he'll explore FA.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2011/6/...re-free-agency

Whether this is because Joe can't offer contracts atm, or because Joe smartened up and realized he'd be a horrible re-sign, it doesn't matter. As long as he's not back.

Old
06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Might be old news butI
Couldn't find this anywhere (didn't look too hard)
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?1677

Skrastins signed with the KHL

Old
06-02-2011, 02:35 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
According to Langenbrunner's agent, he'll explore FA.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2011/6/...re-free-agency

Whether this is because Joe can't offer contracts atm, or because Joe smartened up and realized he'd be a horrible re-sign, it doesn't matter. As long as he's not back.
More importantly, it means we keep our 2nd rounder.

Just thought I'd add that I doubt an additional pick will be coming from the Rangers for Richards even more now, since they're without a 3rd rounder and both of their 2nd rounders after the Erixon trade.

Last edited by piqued: 06-02-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old
06-02-2011, 02:42 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Without an offer towards Richards, and signs pointing to the ownership not being resolved until later this summer, this next season is going to be horrible. We're going to be struggling to reach the cap floor, and to do so once we get a new owner means we take on a bloated contract or we overpay the FAs who didn't get picked in early July.

Wonderful. **** you Hicks. **** you lenders.

Old
06-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674
Lineup

What kind of a lineup do you guys expect for next season with Richards and possibly Langenbrunner gone?
I'm assuming that Benn would be moved to Center?
I'm also assuming new ownership will be careful in their 1st year and won't just go out and spend a ton of money?

What I expect to see:
Morrow - Ribeiro - Eriksson
Ott - Benn - UFA
Segal - Wandell - Burish
Gagnon/Vincour - Peterson - Barch

close?

Last edited by Evgeny Oliker: 06-03-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old
06-03-2011, 10:28 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Yikes

Old
06-03-2011, 10:58 AM
piqued

Morrow-Ribeiro-Eriksson
Wandell-Benn-Ott
XXXX-XXXX-Burish
XXXX-Petersen-XXXX
Barch

This is basically what we know at this point.

I'm determined to make Wandell Benn and Ott play together in my fantasy world so I don't care if that's not accurate. Who knows, maybe the new coach will see the light.

Vincour needs more time in the AHL. He's got to show a higher level of mastery down there. He wasn't ready to just skip ahead. His ability to generate offense in the NHL was severely lacking. Segal and Gagnon are question marks until they're re-signed.

Old
06-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Morrow-Ribeiro-Eriksson
Wandell-Benn-Ott
XXXX-XXXX-Burish
XXXX-Petersen-XXXX
Barch

This is basically what we know at this point.

I'm determined to make Wandell Benn and Ott play together in my fantasy world so I don't care if that's not accurate. Who knows, maybe the new coach will see the light.

Vincour needs more time in the AHL. He's got to show a higher level of mastery down there. He wasn't ready to just skip ahead. His ability to generate offense in the NHL was severely lacking. Segal and Gagnon are question marks until they're re-signed.
I'm quite confused as to why you would have Wandell on the wing? He is a Center and does a good job at Center, plus you guys need a 3rd line Center now. Barch looks like he will play on the 4th line probably if you guys are losing Richards and Langenbrunner. I think more accurate lines would be:

Morrow-Ribeiro-Eriksson
J.Jokinen?-Benn-Ott
XXXX-Wandell-Burish
XXXX-Petersen-Barch

I think Segal and Gagnon can fill those bottom 2 spots. Then you will need to probably sign a top 6 winger to play on the LW with Benn and Ott. If you can bring back Jussi Jokinen, not only do you make up for losing Smith+Jokinen for Richards(who is now gone), but you get a player who knows the team and is still young at 28.

Last edited by Evgeny Oliker: 06-03-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old
06-03-2011, 12:06 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I'm quite confused as to why you would have Wandell on the wing? He is a Center and does a good job at Center, plus you guys need a 3rd line Center now.
He also plays the wing, and has looked quite good there. I believe his chemistry with Benn overrides his play at center. His faceoffs are a weakness anyway. That group would be a fluid arrangement of guys who can all play center and all play wing. One of the reasons I like Wandell with Benn is that he takes the pressure off Benn to constantly be the guy lugging the puck up the ice and frees him up to get open and look for his shot in the offensive zone.

Closed Thread