Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Game 9: Ducks @ Detroit Red Wings 10/23/10 4PM PDT

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2010, 07:56 PM
davidy2d

vCash: 500
Hey remember when Holmstrom elbowed Wisniewski in the face in the 2009 playoffs with no penalty and the explanation was "he's just uncoordinated!".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmx2pIuRucg

Somehow an elbow to the head, results in a powerplay? And people criticize us for being dirty, we are merely trying to follow the Detroit mold for success! See, we can look into the past too for bad or non-calls.

If you want to talk more recently, how about game one of the season? Detroit is handed a goal on a reviewed play, and Bobby Ryan gets no review for what clearly on ice at least looked like a goal? There's a reason why an 18 year veteran (Selanne) made the claims he did.

You say reputation matters, yet we only have a handful of players still on the roster from the rough and tough days of our cup season and subsequent defending season. The majority can't be called dirty or goons (Selanne, Carter, Marchant) and i'll go as far to say the only "dirty" player left would be Perry. Getzlaf plays with an edge, there's a difference, and Parros is an enforcer not a dirty player. And if you really want to talk reputation, why isn't Todd Bertuzzi called for something every time he is on the ice? He has a much worse reputation than Perry not being afraid to check or crash the net hard/run goalies. I would rather get a PP because Perry was dirty than lose a player's career because of Bertuzzi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY

Old
10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Sean Garrity
MAGNUSIFENT!

I. must. stop feeding the troll...

Old
10-24-2010, 08:54 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
Yeah, for sure. Like back when this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgrOQtGFFmw

And the Ducks really got screwed back in '07, when Rob Niedermayer pushed Hasek into the net in game two and the goal still counted. That phantom call on Datsyuk in the last minute of game five was also definitely a hard one on the Ducks.

I hope you can recognize the sarcasm.

I disagree, and I think that even some of the most diehard Ducks fans can admit that their team has gotten away with some really bad stuff over the years. And if the Ducks are not given the benefit of the doubt, then it's because of their history of outright goonery over the past several seasons. The Flyers deal with the same. Reputation matters. Actions have consequences.

How do you know that Kronwall was targeting the head?

That's right disregard the rule book because what somebody did years ago. Man any time a Vancouver player does as much as touch somebody they should get a massive suspension right? Because they have a history of "gonnery"
That is the dumbest logic I've seen on HFboards, there are about enough tough players on this team to fill a line. The rest of the team is a bunch of pushovers.

Oh BTW the puck was well in on its way over the line on the Niedermayer goal, nothing Hasek could have done could have stopped it. No whining about it 4 years after the fact will help either.

Old
10-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Ducksgo
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo
And with the first overall pick, the Anaheim Ducks are proud to select.....

Anyone have any info on players in the upcoming draft? were to busy whining about calls and having our coach b******* in the media about nonsense. I understand sticking up for players but he just added fuel to the fire. And i'm sure the locker room is a bit different now due to this crap, were the main topic on NHL Radio and A.M 710 this morning. Anyone else here NHL radio this morning?

Old
10-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Unholy

http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/

I dont mind players calling out anything or getting upset. Shows some passion and will definitely get things going in practice. Just makes the loss more awful and hopefully changes will happen because of this. All for it..

Old
10-24-2010, 11:51 PM
wesott11

Bitter much? One of the nods just change the name of the thread to "all complaining here please."

Old
10-24-2010, 11:51 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
we are not tanking badly enough

Old
10-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Could be worse, we could be the Devils.

Old
10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

We might not be playing great, but we're not at the bottom. We're gonna win just enough games to not get a top pick. Heck, we probably don't make the playoffs or get a top pick...I'd rather tank and get better in the process.

Old
10-25-2010, 01:10 AM
davidy2d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8oooo View Post
We might not be playing great, but we're not at the bottom. We're gonna win just enough games to not get a top pick. Heck, we probably don't make the playoffs or get a top pick...I'd rather tank and get better in the process.
Yes i'm sure the fans will stick with the franchise through that, especially with 2 other highly talented teams in the state.

If we tank you might as well call us the Hamilton Ducks.

Old
10-25-2010, 01:58 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidy2d View Post
Yes i'm sure the fans will stick with the franchise through that, especially with 2 other highly talented teams in the state.

not true. having a top pick might actualy bring more fans and money then being an 8-12 seed.

I have a friend who worked for the ducks taking orders on ticket packages and handling the season ticket holders.

She said she had a guy call in 3 hours before it was determined that we did not get the 1st overall pick. He told her that if we got the first overall pick he wanted to buy 20 season tickets on the glass and wanted to be the first in line.

The first overall pick brings excitement and hope to a franchise.

Just look at edmonton, they acted like Hall was the coming of Christ the way they talked before the draft.

Old
10-25-2010, 02:18 AM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

Ahh imagine if we had got Crosby

Old
10-25-2010, 02:30 AM
Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
I try not to. But mannnnnnn

Old
10-25-2010, 09:09 AM
jepjepjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by defer View Post
not true. having a top pick might actualy bring more fans and money then being an 8-12 seed.

I have a friend who worked for the ducks taking orders on ticket packages and handling the season ticket holders.

She said she had a guy call in 3 hours before it was determined that we did not get the 1st overall pick. He told her that if we got the first overall pick he wanted to buy 20 season tickets on the glass and wanted to be the first in line.

The first overall pick brings excitement and hope to a franchise.

Just look at edmonton, they acted like Hall was the coming of Christ the way they talked before the draft.
That had nothing to do with the fact that Crosby was the most highly touted prospect since Lindros...

Last edited by jepjepjoo: 10-25-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old
10-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:

So you're saying the fans would be much happier winning just enough games to miss out on a top pick, but still miss the playoffs? Let's face it...Ducks management is high on our prospects and seems content on sticking with fill in players for now. With that said, it could be a year or two of not going anywhere while our prospects develop. Why not grab another top draft pick to go along with those prospects we already have? If we're gonna suck anyway, I would much rather receive a prize for sucking. Although it isn't fun losing, I can see the bigger picture. How do you think the Kings are so stacked now? Not from being a middle of the pack team...they tanked for the past few years in order to stockpile top draft picks. Look at Pitts...classic 'suck now, get rewarded later' team.

Old
10-25-2010, 01:39 PM
davidy2d

Quote:
So you're saying the fans would be much happier winning just enough games to miss out on a top pick, but still miss the playoffs? Let's face it...Ducks management is high on our prospects and seems content on sticking with fill in players for now. With that said, it could be a year or two of not going anywhere while our prospects develop. Why not grab another top draft pick to go along with those prospects we already have? If we're gonna suck anyway, I would much rather receive a prize for sucking. Although it isn't fun losing, I can see the bigger picture. How do you think the Kings are so stacked now? Not from being a middle of the pack team...they tanked for the past few years in order to stockpile top draft picks. Look at Pitts...classic 'suck now, get rewarded later' team.
This team doesn't have the talent to tank. If you want to tank, you're trading away the majority of our top 6 and filling in with our AHL players/cheap FA's. This market cannot survive winning the least amount of games in the entire league while losing stars like Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Koivu, Selanne, Lupul, and Hiller. Obviously all of them wouldn't be gone but say only Lupul, Ryan, and Lydman stay. Where does that leave us? Now, would I rather sit our veterans in the last two weeks to place 1-2 instead of 6-7 in the draft? Of course. If this team ever intentionally tanked it would be the last season I ever supported them, and I hope that is true for most fans of any team. Instead I would root for a franchise with integrity and still cheer for Getzlaf and Perry but in Montreal, Florida, New York or where ever else. This is a competitive sport, and any team that chooses to not ice a competitive team doesn't belong in the league.

The Kings missed the playoffs for nearly a decade. Them being good now is not worth going through that. The Oilers and Leafs last year both faced injury, lacked a tremendous amount of talent, and had their rosters entirely reshuffled. Edmonton hasn't made the playoffs since 2006, and Toronto hasn't been post-lockout. A submarket of Los Angeles, and the currently 3rd worst team in the state, cannot survive that. And if they do, Fowler, Holland, Gardiner, Newton, Sbisa, and this years first round pick you want to tank for will all be on their 2nd or 3rd contracts before we are competitive. If we get the first pick because we are bad, then fine. If we are drowning badly at the deadline, then maybe Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan or Hiller need to be moved for a package. But to just tank is both unheard of and unrealistic.

I guess i'm really not sure what you want to do to tank. Have our roster stay intact but just not show up to games? The owner will definitely pay that expense i'm sure. Or lose the high talent we do have and do a full on rebuild? You're saying hey don't finish in 10th place finish 15th/30th, but it doesn't work like that.

Old
10-25-2010, 02:06 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

I think almost all NHL players have too much pride to tank.

Some teams are just awful though.

Old
10-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Glad we didn't. Who knows what would've happened, maybe we would've been some sort of a dynasty, but I'll take the guaranteed cup over a what if.

Old
10-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Deliberately losing games to get a top pick lacks integrity and should never happen in pro sports. Any player who is ok with losing so his current franchise can draft someone who he may or may not ever play significant time with shouldn't be allowed in the league.

I'd rather just miss out on the playoffs by giving it my all than put together a dreadful season with a lack of effort and coming last. Not to mention the losing environment will rub off on the players and may effect their effort levels in the future. I highly doubt Selanne came back for another year so that his team could tank for a top pick.

Old
10-25-2010, 06:50 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Why do we need to trade away Getzlaf and Perry to tank? We're the 5th worst team in the league by point %. We're doing fine all by ourselves.

Old
10-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
This team doesn't have the talent to tank. If you want to tank, you're trading away the majority of our top 6 and filling in with our AHL players/cheap FA's. This market cannot survive winning the least amount of games in the entire league while losing stars like Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Koivu, Selanne, Lupul, and Hiller. Obviously all of them wouldn't be gone but say only Lupul, Ryan, and Lydman stay. Where does that leave us? Now, would I rather sit our veterans in the last two weeks to place 1-2 instead of 6-7 in the draft? Of course. If this team ever intentionally tanked it would be the last season I ever supported them, and I hope that is true for most fans of any team. Instead I would root for a franchise with integrity and still cheer for Getzlaf and Perry but in Montreal, Florida, New York or where ever else. This is a competitive sport, and any team that chooses to not ice a competitive team doesn't belong in the league.

The Kings missed the playoffs for nearly a decade. Them being good now is not worth going through that. The Oilers and Leafs last year both faced injury, lacked a tremendous amount of talent, and had their rosters entirely reshuffled. Edmonton hasn't made the playoffs since 2006, and Toronto hasn't been post-lockout. A submarket of Los Angeles, and the currently 3rd worst team in the state, cannot survive that. And if they do, Fowler, Holland, Gardiner, Newton, Sbisa, and this years first round pick you want to tank for will all be on their 2nd or 3rd contracts before we are competitive. If we get the first pick because we are bad, then fine. If we are drowning badly at the deadline, then maybe Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan or Hiller need to be moved for a package. But to just tank is both unheard of and unrealistic.

I guess i'm really not sure what you want to do to tank. Have our roster stay intact but just not show up to games? The owner will definitely pay that expense i'm sure. Or lose the high talent we do have and do a full on rebuild? You're saying hey don't finish in 10th place finish 15th/30th, but it doesn't work like that.
My comment about 'tanking' was due to all the talk about how badly the Ducks are playing. I didn't say for them to go and trade the team away. Or anyone, for that matter. My comment was more about being satisfied if we place last or close to it, because it'll get them a high draft pick. As it is now, the team isn't going to be completing for a cup, so for them to finish low versus finishing mid pack would be a win in my book. (High draft)

Old
10-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Deliberately losing games to get a top pick lacks integrity and should never happen in pro sports. Any player who is ok with losing so his current franchise can draft someone who he may or may not ever play significant time with shouldn't be allowed in the league.

I'd rather just miss out on the playoffs by giving it my all than put together a dreadful season with a lack of effort and coming last. Not to mention the losing environment will rub off on the players and may effect their effort levels in the future. I highly doubt Selanne came back for another year so that his team could tank for a top pick.
I never said for them to deliberately lose games. Perhaps using the word "tank" was not the right choice. I should've said, I'd be more happy for them to continue playing like **** the rest of the year to gain a high pick rather than play mediocre and get a middle round pick. With the prospects they currently have, the Ducks will be competitive again in a matter of a season or two, maybe three. To get another great prospect in next years draft would only make the future that much brighter.

Old
10-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Crazy8oooo
k ؃

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Why do we need to trade away Getzlaf and Perry to tank? We're the 5th worst team in the league by point %. We're doing fine all by ourselves.
Exactly...someone jumped the gun on my usage of the word tank.

Old
10-25-2010, 10:55 PM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPeyton View Post
Glad we didn't. Who knows what would've happened, maybe we would've been some sort of a dynasty, but I'll take the guaranteed cup over a what if.
We would of had multiple cups by now as we would of been Bettman's love child

Closed Thread