HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Halpern 60% Everyone else, you failed. Pouliot soft ?

Old
10-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Halpern 60% Everyone else, you failed. Pouliot soft ?

After 7 games, Halpern leads the team in faceoff % with 40 being the minimum taken.

Pleks is 48%
Gomez 47%
Boyd 40%

Lapierre is at 44%
Eller is at 33%.

Though, both have taken very few faceoffs, so that stat could improve.

To be a puck possession team, you can't be failing at a key stat like this.

A lot of people on here like to say that Pouliot isn't scoring, so he isn't doing anything. Pouliot leads the team with 21 hits. 7 more than Lapierre. Only O'bryne could be beating him. Pouliot is on pace for 246 hits. Hopefully he stays healthy and he'll break 200.

If Pouliot isn't scoring, he's at least hitting.

Plekanec is another surprise who's on pace to crack 100 hits in a season.

Andrei Kostitsyn is off on what he normally gets, but as we all know he's off what he normally does at this point in the year and he's actually scoring. Less hitting = more goal scoring for Andrei ?

Should Gauthier look for another Moore type player ? If so, do we even have room ? Eller, Lapierre, Boyd, Plekanec, Gomez, Halpern, and then to a lesser extent, Pouliot, Cammalleri and Pyatt (who has 66% in 6 faceoffs) have been centreman too.

Should we look for another physical player and play Pouliot, Lapierre and other player together ? Should Gauthier/Martin/ both just smarten the **** up and try White on an energy line ? Does anyone remember the last time we had a true energy line that didn't suck ass a la Downy, Garth Murray and some other tool ?

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:22 PM
llamateizer

vCash: 500
great analyse

but for the physical player... Boyd can fill this spot?

Pouliot is 21st in the NHL for the Hits
last year Lapierre finished 49th

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Pouliot is bringing the intensity. I think he'd do well on a line with eller, another intense player and a good hard worker like gionta. Just my take.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:53 PM
phoque taupe

vCash: 152
i have a good feeling about Eller. In 3-4 years hes gonna be a key player for us.

And for Halpern, i really like what he brings. I was very optimist about our faceoff abilities before the season starts, but seeing those stats make me sad.

But i'll shut up since we have a 'good' amount of points, and we gonna need those in the last stretch of the season.

phoque taupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Toro

White will be called up within 2 weeks. He is playing amazing in Hamilton. Physical,making plays, fights, he is an NHL player playing in Hamilton. His play is needed.

1st forward injury he gets called up my take

He is good on faceoffs too.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Montrealer

I don't know if I'd call 48 or even 47% face-off win percentages after only seven games "failing", exactly.

Actually, I do know I wouldn't call it a failure. It's close enough to 50% that it's not going to hurt the team (a couple of percentage points equals an extra face-off win every two or three games, right?)

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
I don't know if I'd call 48 or even 47% face-off win percentages after only seven games "failing", exactly.

Actually, I do know I wouldn't call it a failure. It's close enough to 50% that it's not going to hurt the team (a couple of percentage points equals an extra face-off win every two or three games, right?)
iagree, 47-52 % at this point is all the same.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post

Winning less than 1 faceoff out of 2 is definitely called Failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
iagree, 47-52 % at this point is all the same.
There is a big difference actually. It's not just about at this point in the year, it's about how many faceoffs he's taken.
Out of 100 faceoffs, he'll win 47. If he had 52%, then that would be 5 more FOs won.
Those 5 FOs could be crucial ones. So yea, it does matter.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Pax Macioretty

It's hard for me to like Halpern simply because of how Martin uses him. He should be given Moen and Pyatt to create a solid defensively 4th line with Eller and Boyd together with Lappy and make a 2-way 3rd line.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:38 PM
ruski17

BTW, what's with Martin pulling out Boyd and putting in Darche against Ottawa yesterday? Seriously?

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
BTW, what's with Martin pulling out Boyd and putting in Darche against Ottawa yesterday? Seriously?
Don't know, but the habs won, so Boyd will miss another game.

Old
10-25-2010, 04:49 AM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Don't know, but the habs won, so Boyd will miss another game.
Was there any particular reason why Boyd was scratched? He seemed to be playing fairly well and seems to be offering a little more than a few of the other players (like Darche). I missed the game against Jersey, was he particularly awful there or is there another reason?

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:38 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
After 7 games, Halpern leads the team in faceoff % with 40 being the minimum taken.

Pleks is 48%
Gomez 47%
Boyd 40%

Lapierre is at 44%
Eller is at 33%.

Though, both have taken very few faceoffs, so that stat could improve.

To be a puck possession team, you can't be failing at a key stat like this.

A lot of people on here like to say that Pouliot isn't scoring, so he isn't doing anything. Pouliot leads the team with 21 hits. 7 more than Lapierre. Only O'bryne could be beating him. Pouliot is on pace for 246 hits. Hopefully he stays healthy and he'll break 200.

If Pouliot isn't scoring, he's at least hitting.

Plekanec is another surprise who's on pace to crack 100 hits in a season.

Andrei Kostitsyn is off on what he normally gets, but as we all know he's off what he normally does at this point in the year and he's actually scoring. Less hitting = more goal scoring for Andrei ?

Should Gauthier look for another Moore type player ? If so, do we even have room ? Eller, Lapierre, Boyd, Plekanec, Gomez, Halpern, and then to a lesser extent, Pouliot, Cammalleri and Pyatt (who has 66% in 6 faceoffs) have been centreman too.

Should we look for another physical player and play Pouliot, Lapierre and other player together ? Should Gauthier/Martin/ both just smarten the **** up and try White on an energy line ? Does anyone remember the last time we had a true energy line that didn't suck ass a la Downy, Garth Murray and some other tool ?
Why are there so many posts asking that we get a "Moore-type player"? The only "Moore-type player" out there IS Dominic Moore! We shoulda resigned him but we didn't and that's the end of it.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:55 AM
ReVeuF

Hugging someone on the board is counted as checking, bodychecking hard someone on the board is counted as checking.

Pouliot is on the first category and this make him soft. He is not a Kronwall for sure.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:20 AM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
Quote:
That's the problem with the hit stat. It's too subjective.

Andrei may not be registering hits, but I think these first 7 games are the by far the most physically consistent games we've seen from him.

DirtyJeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 07:27 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Pleks was especially bad Saturday night so if you throw out that number he's probably over 50 %.

(I'm trying to skew it to make it not as bad as it looks) LOL

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:26 AM
neofury*

It's funny because this is an area if I recall Koivu used to really excel in. It's too bad also because I think he'd be a good fit for our current team centering the 3rd line but like many have said that would be Eller's spot. Still, Eller needs to work on his face offs.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:28 AM
neofury*

To be honest I don't find Boyd has looked too great out there since preseason and maybe early on in the season.

Not saying Darche has looked any better but there is some merit to him not being in the line up. He just hasn't really been all that impressive as of late.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
To be honest I don't find Boyd has looked too great out there since preseason and maybe early on in the season.

Not saying Darche has looked any better but there is some merit to him not being in the line up. He just hasn't really been all that impressive as of late.
Yah early on this season, as in what? Game 4?

He played well the first 3-4 games of the season, missed 1, so he`s maybe played 1-2 average games. I dont know what kind of expectations you have for a guy playing 4th line minutes.

I fond he is 1000x`s better than Darche, but hey im not the coach.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Was there any particular reason why Boyd was scratched? He seemed to be playing fairly well and seems to be offering a little more than a few of the other players (like Darche). I missed the game against Jersey, was he particularly awful there or is there another reason?
Probably the same reason why Pouliot was benched for a game last year in the playoffs. The other team scored a goal, so he picks one player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Why are there so many posts asking that we get a "Moore-type player"? The only "Moore-type player" out there IS Dominic Moore! We shoulda resigned him but we didn't and that's the end of it.
Dominic Moore is a player a lot of fans can relate to, so they know the type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Hugging someone on the board is counted as checking, bodychecking hard someone on the board is counted as checking.

Pouliot is on the first category and this make him soft. He is not a Kronwall for sure.
I don't know, Pouliot looks like he's starting to leave his feet like Kronwall does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJeeves View Post
That's the problem with the hit stat. It's too subjective.

Andrei may not be registering hits, but I think these first 7 games are the by far the most physically consistent games we've seen from him.
True that, he has been physical for us. He's important for the top 6 since he throws hits. Cammalleri has 0. Though, like you said, it's subjective. He threw a hit that would have been sweet against Ottawa, but just missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Pleks was especially bad Saturday night so if you throw out that number he's probably over 50 %.

(I'm trying to skew it to make it not as bad as it looks) LOL
Yeah, he was absolutely brutal.

Does a vicious forecheck allow for us to have ****** faceoff wins, but still gain control of the puck ?

plekanec finished last year with 49% Gomez had 50.8

Old
10-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Boyd has 10x the speed and offensive abilities. Why doesn't Martin realise that Boyd once had 48 goals in the OHL. He should be put on wing with Eller, they could both feed off eachother pretty well. Darche is our most useless player since Laflamme. He has absolutely 0 specialty.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Haberdashery

The Habs are 49.0 % on faceoffs after 7 games, less than ten percent of the schedule.
They have 75 games to improve by at least one percent to be one of the better teams on faceoffs. I'd say it's far from the time to be panicking about faceoffs, and looking for yet another center to go with the six or so we already have on the roster.

Carolina is a team that perhaps should be worried about faceoffs and are obviously missing Brind'Amour - less than 37 % - yet they are 4-3 so far.

Haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Boyd has 10x the speed and offensive abilities. Why doesn't Martin realise that Boyd once had 48 goals in the OHL. He should be put on wing with Eller, they could both feed off eachother pretty well. Darche is our most useless player since Laflamme. He has absolutely 0 specialty.
Hopefully he'll draw back into the line up soon. Ideally, I agree, I think Eller at center with Boyd and Lapierre on the wings would make a great thirds line. It would give Eller a lot of space to play the game and take a great deal of attention away from him. On a side note, I also think Boyd would be better off on the second line in place of Pyatt who certainly is not the player to get Gionta and Gomez going offensively. I'm not suggesting Boyd is either, I think Martin would have to look to Eller or continue with Pouliot for more offense, but I'd argue he brings the same speed as Pyatt with more of a physical edge. We'd lose a little bit of defensive responsibility but Gionta and Gomez are responsible players in the first place so Pyatt there is fairly useless in my opinion.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Corey

I see a lot of "why was" or "why isn'"t posts on this and other threads. This second guessing bumps up against the experience and wisdom of the coaching staff. I may not understand certain personnel moves but not only do the coaches know far more, their jobs are on the line. Therefore, I swallow my disagreements even when the outcome of a game might have been different if my suggestion had been followed. I'll tell my fellow board members one thing: some of their suggestions are either naive or bizarre and I have more disagreements with their posts than I do with JM's. In addition, a sizable minority of the proposed trades or free agent signings on this forum seem abysmally ignorant or prejudiced in their intent. Of course, many board members make thoughtful suggestions and I don't include them in this subclass.

Last edited by Corey: 10-25-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote