HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The one & only Scott Gomez thread

Old
10-25-2010, 09:21 PM
MTL-rules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
Food for thoughts, after 7 games last year, Gomez stats were:

2009-10 7 games - 1 goal - 3 assists - 4 points

This year

2010-11 7 games - 1 goal - 2 assists - 3 points
And he finished with 59 pts... is this worth 7.3mil ?

If we can find a taker for him, we should pull the trigger instantly.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
HCH

Quote:
Food for thoughts, after 7 games last year, Gomez stats were:

2009-10 7 games - 1 goal - 3 assists - 4 points

This year

2010-11 7 games - 1 goal - 2 assists - 3 points
And last year would be considered mediocre, so are you saying he is 75% of mediocre this year

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
The way to build a team is to find players who can fill holes in your lineup. That's it.
Not at any cost.

In the salary cap era it's about getting the most production out of the cap that you have. Paying 8 million for a 2nd line center isn't the way to do it.

It was a terrible move and anyone outside this forum knows this.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
We could have resigned Saku Koivu for three million and used the remaining four to sign an actual top six guy instead of having this revolving door of Pouilots.
Koivu was done in Montreal. His leadership was contested, and it made no sense keeping him if what you want is change the leadership. Plus, he was getting worst and worst, and couldn't keep up with the duty of being a top center. By this time it was far from obvious that Plekanec would become the player he is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy
Not at any cost.

In the salary cap era it's about getting the most production out of the cap that you have. Paying 8 million for a 2nd line center isn't the way to do it.
But that's a ideal world, thought-experiment observation, that would work very well if the market wasn't so skewed toward the players (they are the rarity here!). Not a bad observation, and certainly all managers are very aware of, but still a secondary point against icing a good team for many franchises. If practice, many teams carry players who are overpaid compared to their real contribution, and it's not because all the hockey managers sucks. It's because these hockey managers put winning before having an ideal production/price ratio.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Koivu was done in Montreal. His leadership was contested, and it made no sense keeping him if what you want is change the leadership. Plus, he was getting worst and worst, and couldn't keep up with the duty of being a top center. By this time it was far from obvious that Plekanec would become the player he is now.

But that's a ideal world, thought-experiment observation, that would work very well if the market wasn't so skewed toward the players (they are the rarity here!). Not a bad observation, and certainly all managers are very aware of, but still a secondary point against icing a good team for many franchises. If practice, many teams carry players who are overpaid compared to their real contribution, and it's not because all the hockey managers sucks. It's because these hockey managers put winning before having an ideal production/price ratio.
Koivu done. Hmm.You may be saying the same about Gomez before his contract expires.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

At this point and time, the only way you find a take for Gomez is that if you can trade an overpaid player for another....And for around the same type of length...

Gomez for Bouwmeester....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Koivu done. Hmm.You may be saying the same about Gomez before his contract expires.
Koivu was 35 when he left us. Gomez will be 33 when his contract expires.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
At this point and time, the only way you find a take for Gomez is that if you can trade an overpaid player for another....And for around the same type of length...

Oh yes please.

Add O'Byrne to make sure they would accept!

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Gomez is frustrating to watch, he needs to be separated from Gionta for a few games, he's overplaying the pass and everybody in the rink(including the opposition) knows it.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

We can only dream.

Old
10-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Coldplay
Courage

I thought Gomez looked great tonight, but maybe it's just me.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I thought Gomez looked great tonight, but maybe it's just me.
Yep, I can confirm, it's just you.

Unless you consider him as our 3rd center. Yeah he looked great.

Old
10-25-2010, 11:18 PM
TheGoalJudge

Please stop rationalizing the Gomez trade. It was terrible and his contract is terrible. There's just no justification for it especially since he had a 5 year deal or whatever.

I could see you saying, "oh plug the offensive C hole, who cares about the money" if his contract was ONE year. But five ****ing years? Man, you're really plugging that hole good.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:22 PM
TheBuriedHab

Still can't believe we had to add Mcdonaugh in the deal. I like Gomez as a player, but now that plekanec has emerged as our number 1 and we have a guy like Eller knocking on the door, Gomez's cap hit is looking even worse.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:28 PM
CarrePrisme

I like Gomez. Not that it's rational. I just like to see him rocket into the offensive zone and then...well, nothing.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Aznrx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Still can't believe we had to add Mcdonaugh in the deal. I like Gomez as a player, but now that plekanec has emerged as our number 1 and we have a guy like Eller knocking on the door, Gomez's cap hit is looking even worse.
The thing is at the time that we made the trade for Gomez. We didn't knew what to expect from Plekanec following the season that he had at the time.

Aznrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
Darth Joker

To TheGoalJudge and those who agree with him -

You know... we are 5-2-1 right now. And we just came off our best playoff performance in 17 years.

Meanwhile, the Rangers missed the playoffs last year (but, in fairness, are doing well so far this year).

If one team in a trade gets significantly better after it, and the other team in a trade gets worse after it, then how exactly is it a "Terrible Trade" for the team that gets better? Yes, cap space is important... but it's obviously not as important as results on the ice.

Let's suppose that the Habs do better than the Rangers over the length of Gomez's contract, and suppose McDonough never pans out as a Top 4 D (So far, both are the case).

If this happens, isn't it rather silly to call this a "terrible trade"?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Gomez get dealt myself, but I think the Gomez haters are really badly overstating their case.

The fact is, this team is getting results on the ice, and that's much more important than cap space issues.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:38 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznrx8 View Post
The thing is at the time that we made the trade for Gomez. We didn't knew what to expect from Plekanec following the season that he had at the time.
I under stand that, I really do. But To have to add one of your best defensive prospects in a deal, where you are helping out a team that is trying to dump a massive cap hit is still absurd to me. Even if Gomez gets 60 pts this year I still value a young defense man Like Mcdonaugh a lot more. Especially with our aging defense.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznrx8 View Post
We did know what to expect from Gomez though. And it didn't justify 5 years at 8 mil per. It was a silly move.

Old
10-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

I never talked about his salary. EVERYONE knows that he's overpaid. But he's production is the same as last year.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
To TheGoalJudge and those who agree with him -

You know... we are 5-2-1 right now. And we just came off our best playoff performance in 17 years.

Meanwhile, the Rangers missed the playoffs last year (but, in fairness, are doing well so far this year).

If one team in a trade gets significantly better after it, and the other team in a trade gets worse after it, then how exactly is it a "Terrible Trade" for the team that gets better? Yes, cap space is important... but it's obviously not as important as results on the ice.

Let's suppose that the Habs do better than the Rangers over the length of Gomez's contract, and suppose McDonough never pans out as a Top 4 D (So far, both are the case).

If this happens, isn't it rather silly to call this a "terrible trade"?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Gomez get dealt myself, but I think the Gomez haters are really badly overstating their case.

The fact is, this team is getting results on the ice, and that's much more important than cap space issues.
You can make bad deals and still improve overall. It doesn't make the move a good one. We aren't playing well now because of Gomez, we're playing well in spite of the trade. And the sad thing is that we don't have the cap space to improve down the road because it's being eaten by a 2nd line center.
Quote:
I never talked about his salary. EVERYONE knows that he's overpaid. But he's production is the same as last year.
And that would be fine if he was making what we were paying Koivu. But he's making 8 mil. His salary DOES matter.

Old
10-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Yep, I can confirm, it's just you.

Unless you consider him as our 3rd center. Yeah he looked great.
I think you're being overly harsh. Up until tonight, I didn't think he looked that great, but I really felt he upped his game tonight, even if it didn't show up on the scoresheet.

Bottom line is we need both of them to start clicking again, and when they (hopefully) do, everyone will forget about this thread.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual View Post
trade him or keep him?

Trade him? Who would take him or his HUGE contract....ahh NOBODY

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Stradale

Yeah, we have 5 wins so far.. but how many times Gomez('s line) contribute in those wins.

When Plekanec's line is not working, we have nothing else.

Old
10-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You can make bad deals and still improve overall. It doesn't make the move a good one. We aren't playing well now because of Gomez, we're playing well in spite of the trade. And the sad thing is that we don't have the cap space to improve down the road because it's being eaten by a 2nd line center.

And that would be fine if he was making what we were paying Koivu. But he's making 8 mil. His salary DOES matter.
And who would be our second line center right now ? Salary matters in a salary world, I agree but we needed a center at the time and the option were really low.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote