HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Avalanche - 10/23/10 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
10-24-2010, 10:56 AM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I would've rather sent down Loktionov to Manchester when Greene came back, not Muzzin. Loktionov clearly isn't ready for the show, he's shown flashes of brilliance here and there but he needs to work on his game down there, play some big minute for that club and lead, alongside Hickey, Muzzin, Moller.
Exactly what I have been saying. Sending Muzzin down made no sense.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:06 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
And the Kings are in second place in the conference
Normally I don't even bother looking at standings this early but it is interesting in this case because of how the new tiebreaker shootout rule is affecting things.

The Kings are 2nd due to that new shootout tiebreaker rule. Dallas has won 2 games via shootout, Kings have won 1. Kings have one more regulation win than Dallas = higher seed. Last year Dallas would have been ahead of the Kings due to their goal differential being higher.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:10 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Normally I don't even bother looking at standings this early but it is interesting in this case because of how the new tiebreaker shootout rule is affecting things.

The Kings are 2nd due to that new shootout tiebreaker rule. Dallas has won 2 games via shootout, Kings have won 1. Kings have one more regulation win than Dallas = higher seed. Last year Dallas would have been ahead of the Kings due to their goal differential being higher.
Good rule as long as it gains the Kings...

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:13 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Will Wayne Simmonds' butt-end warrant suspension for Kings?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...aining-content

"Will it be a suspension for Simmonds? Evidence suggests otherwise.

Note that it wasn't in fact a match penalty. An update on Galiardi, via Denver Post:

"TJ Galiardi seemed OK after the game. He took a stick to the privates from Wayne Simmonds, which drew a 5-minute major. I bet Simmonds gets off from being suspended, because Galiardi wasn't seriously hurt after all, but it was a cheapshot. Simmonds gave me a terse "no comment" after the game when I asked him about it. "

When it comes to butt-ends and spearing that don't result in significant injuries, the NHL's usually left it on the ice. Witness Derek Boogaard and Chris Neil from earlier this season. Witness last season, when Tomas Plekanec butt-ended David Krejci to the face and escaped punishment - despite already being "in the system" for a slew foot earlier in 2009."

No injury, no massively incriminating video to make the League look bad and a history of this thing going unpunished ... the Wheel of Discipline lands on "move along, nothing to see here."

Old
10-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Will Wayne Simmonds' butt-end warrant suspension for Kings?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...aining-content

"Will it be a suspension for Simmonds? Evidence suggests otherwise.

Note that it wasn't in fact a match penalty. An update on Galiardi, via Denver Post:

"TJ Galiardi seemed OK after the game. He took a stick to the privates from Wayne Simmonds, which drew a 5-minute major. I bet Simmonds gets off from being suspended, because Galiardi wasn't seriously hurt after all, but it was a cheapshot. Simmonds gave me a terse "no comment" after the game when I asked him about it. "

When it comes to butt-ends and spearing that don't result in significant injuries, the NHL's usually left it on the ice. Witness Derek Boogaard and Chris Neil from earlier this season. Witness last season, when Tomas Plekanec butt-ended David Krejci to the face and escaped punishment - despite already being "in the system" for a slew foot earlier in 2009."

No injury, no massively incriminating video to make the League look bad and a history of this thing going unpunished ... the Wheel of Discipline lands on "move along, nothing to see here."
Sounds good to me. Can't really lose Simmonds at a time like this, his game was just starting to come alive for us.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:53 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Of course they score 6 goals when I don't watch the game so I can watch Brock Lesnar get run over.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:04 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Noticed the last couple games(haven't been able to watch) the Kings have given up a slew of goals.

Is Quick a little off, the defense not doing so hot without Doughty, or a bit of both?

(not complaining about results)

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:27 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Last night's game was a great example of Quick having his stats take a hit even though he played very well overall. Anderson on the other hand had a terrible game.

Obviously the Kings can't replace Doughty. The goals against are going to increase accordingly. Greene helps a ton though.

Old
10-24-2010, 01:04 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Last night's game was a great example of Quick having his stats take a hit even though he played very well overall. Anderson on the other hand had a terrible game.

Obviously the Kings can't replace Doughty. The goals against are going to increase accordingly. Greene helps a ton though.
I saw the highlights on NHL network and 2 of those goals were pretty soft. He didn't even come close to hugging the post on the one where it banked in off his leg pad and there was another one where he was too far back in the net when the player was in the slot. Bottom line though is Quick is getting the job done with the wins. You can afford to let in a soft one if your team scores 6.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 01:10 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Noticed the last couple games(haven't been able to watch) the Kings have given up a slew of goals.

Is Quick a little off, the defense not doing so hot without Doughty, or a bit of both?

(not complaining about results)
You can't really blame him for Stastny's goal that was deflected in(im still amazed it went in), or the one that was tipped in the slot and kind of fluttered in(sort of like Stoll's goal in the opener). The other 2 were kind of soft.

Last edited by KopitarFAN: 10-24-2010 at 01:24 PM.
KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 01:18 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I saw the highlights on NHL network and 2 of those goals were pretty soft. He didn't even come close to hugging the post on the one where it banked in off his leg pad and there was another one where he was too far back in the net when the player was in the slot. Bottom line though is Quick is getting the job done with the wins. You can afford to let in a soft one if your team scores 6.

You should watch the entire game and then write about Quick's performance

Old
10-24-2010, 01:47 PM
scramble91

Quote:
You should watch the entire game and then write about Quick's performance
i saw the whole game, and quick was average. He wasnt bad by any means, but he did let in a few softies.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:54 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
i saw the whole game, and quick was average. He wasnt bad by any means, but he did let in a few softies.
I didn't see anything I would term "soft". The Stastny goal was a deflected pass/shot that ended up right on Stastny's stick and was a goal scorers' goal. If Kopitar had made that play we would all be saying, "What a nice play, great shot by Kopi." Stastny made a nice play.

Let's don't forget Quick stoned Stewart on a mini-breakaway and that guy has been red-hot for the Avs. Overall Quick had a good game.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:00 PM
Mully12
John Jackson!

Send a message via AIM to Mully12 Send a message via Yahoo to Mully12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I didn't see anything I would term "soft". The Stastny goal was a deflected pass/shot that ended up right on Stastny's stick and was a goal scorers' goal. If Kopitar had made that play we would all be saying, "What a nice play, great shot by Kopi." Stastny made a nice play.

Let's don't forget Quick stoned Stewart on a mini-breakaway and that guy has been red-hot for the Avs. Overall Quick had a good game.
Hey... HEY! Quit making sense!

Mully12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:01 PM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Not much mentioned about Poni's 500:th nhl game..... that's a shame.

That is a milestone worth mentioning

Old
10-24-2010, 04:31 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
... I gotta say that I disagree here. I didn't think Quick let in anything particularly soft. The sharp-angled goal was off of a rebound, wasn't it? He didn't impress me the way he has in the previous games, but he wasn't bad either. He had a very impressive stretch (I believe it was in the second period) where he certainly made some tough saves.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:35 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Not much mentioned about Poni's 500:th nhl game..... that's a shame.

That is a milestone worth mentioning
When theirs a hat-trick, and a controversial play that could lead to the suspension of a key player. The 500th game of a player that has been a King for 7 games might take a backseat.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Johnny Utah

Willie Mitchell has 3 assists and is a +5 so far this season and was aggressive again last night. Better signing than Kovy ever was.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:16 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... I gotta say that I disagree here. I didn't think Quick let in anything particularly soft. The sharp-angled goal was off of a rebound, wasn't it? He didn't impress me the way he has in the previous games, but he wasn't bad either. He had a very impressive stretch (I believe it was in the second period) where he certainly made some tough saves.
It deflected off one of the players in front before it got to Quick.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:38 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Willie Mitchell has 3 assists and is a +5 so far this season and was aggressive again last night.
... I don't see where +5 means all that much in the early going, as Scuderi's been excellent and the most reliable D this season and yet has the same +/- as Harrold and Muzzin. Mitchell's three assists are all secondary assists and whatever, they all count I suppose - but look at the assists: one was the broken play that led to Richardson's first goal last night, another was Loktionov's bank-in-off-the-goalie goal, and third one was the Stoll in-off-the-skate goal against Atlanta. Mitchell's numbers seem to be more of a "hey, I was out there too!" type of thing and he's certainly made his share of errors this season to boot.

Don't get me wrong, he's been OK and all so far - but nothing to get too crazy about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Better signing than Kovy ever was.
... No. Just, no.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:31 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

... No. Just, no.
yes... just yes...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Orenji

Mitchell has been pretty good. Not amazing, but good. Scuderi has been our best defenseman, but he was the main reason why one goal came against us last night. Kovalchuk has been pretty okay in New Jersey; he's alright offensively, but he hasn't been doing anything else. Right now, our team is showing lots of offensive depth. I would rather have Mitchell at the moment or Kovy. I still presume we'll be trying to land some sort of big fish closer to the deadline.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:45 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
It deflected off one of the players in front before it got to Quick.
The Statsny goal from the goal line, Quick was in position for the 1st shot that got blocked and it went right to Stastny's stick, Quick did a quick pushover, but Stastny is a right handed shot, and that did not bank off of Quick, it hit the far goal post and in, excellent, amazing shot, but if Stastny was left-handed, no goal.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
The Statsny goal from the goal line, Quick was in position for the 1st shot that got blocked and it went right to Stastny's stick, Quick did a quick pushover, but Stastny is a right handed shot, and that did not bank off of Quick, it hit the far goal post and in, excellent, amazing shot, but if Stastny was left-handed, no goal.
Stastny is a left handed shot.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:09 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Stastny is a left-handed shot, the puck was on the red line when he shot it and did hit off the inside of the far post. The only way that can happen is if it hits Quick somewhere first. Otherwise there's no way he can curve that shot from the red line around the front post and off the inside of the far post.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote