HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies 2010 Postseason: Red October IV, R2C2: Return of the Jedi

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2010, 12:38 PM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
A bunch of retards from Texas burn a Cliff Lee shirt:

"A 24 dollar shirt gone to waste, because I thought he would re-sign with us. What an a-hole."

1) You can swear on the internet. Your mom's not gonna find out. She'd probably be more worried about the combination of you and an open flame.
2) If you buy merch for a player who turns FA agent in the off-season, you're on your own.
3) The shirt went to waste because you burned it. You could have given it to some clothes for the homeless organization or something.

Only really posted it because those idiots almost burn themselves a couple of times. Also, ******** people are fun.

Old
12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I understand enraged fans with someone like Heatley who demands a trade, yet doesnt waive his NTC but for a FA? waste of time complaining about losing a FA

Old
12-15-2010, 01:16 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
A bunch of retards from Texas burn a Cliff Lee shirt:

Not only did they suck at it, but they were afraid of the actual fire.

Morons...

Old
12-15-2010, 01:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I'd put Rollins in the 5 hole if it were me.
No way. I'd stick Rollins at 6 or 7 or at 1 or 2, depending on who the teams gets to play RF. He is a career sub .275 hitter who K's all the time. That is not who I want protecting Howard in the lineup. I love Rollins as much as the next guy, but he is slowing down and isn't the type of hitter anyway who should be protecting your biggest power threat. Howard would be walked in EVERY single crucial situation with Jroll batting behind him. I personally would put Polanco there, at least for the start of the season. It really is going to come down to who is playing RF. My guess is all kinds of trades are going to be made (i.e. Blanton and Ibanez) and the corner outfielders will be different from last season. But as it stands right now (meaning assuming Fansisco/Gload/Brown will be out in right), this is how I would do the lineup.

Jroll/Victorino
Victorino/Jroll
Utley
Howard
Polanco
Ibanez
Fransisco/Gload/Brown
Chooch
Ace 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Hopefully they can get someone for RF, as I don't think Brown is really ready just yet and Fransisco/Gload is not a tandem I trust. I have heard the Phills are going after Rowand, which would be great, but not sure if that is really happening.

Old
12-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Not only did they suck at it, but they were afraid of the actual fire.

Morons...
This. I pretty much said the whole time "Do they honestly not know how to set **** on fire properly?" And I really do wish that stupid **** would've burnt himself, cause ya know, standing that close to a fire and pouring gas on an open flame is a totally safe and responsible pyro maneuver.

Old
12-15-2010, 02:00 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Press conference starting in a minute.

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/live1

Old
12-15-2010, 02:15 PM
jb**

Depending on what Kendrick is scheduled to make, I would want my 5th starter to make around league minimum. If kk is a little above then ok, if not trade him for bench help. A few guys who would be a good option as a 5th starter assuming they would take league min:

Kevin millwood
Rich harden
Branden wbb-pipe dream if healthy
Pedro Martinez- would be very funny
Erik bedard- if healthy
Brian moehler
Chris young

While I never liked him dontrel willis is out there!

Old
12-15-2010, 02:21 PM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
These idiots keep asking the same questions during the presser

Old
12-15-2010, 02:24 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
No way. I'd stick Rollins at 6 or 7 or at 1 or 2, depending on who the teams gets to play RF. He is a career sub .275 hitter who K's all the time. That is not who I want protecting Howard in the lineup.
Rollins hit .298 against left-handers last year, and a career .282 hitter against LHP. That's not a bad thing to have behind Howard. Ideally, you want another slugger behind Howard who kills lefties. We don't have that, so you can pick one aspect. Polanco could fill that just as well, but he's too valuable in a moving the runners role, and doesn't have the power that even Rollins has when healthy. Jimmy is getting older, but he ain't old yet at 32.

Old
12-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I understand enraged fans with someone like Heatley who demands a trade, yet doesnt waive his NTC but for a FA? waste of time complaining about losing a FA
Well, it especially doesn't make sense given that Lee was only in Texas for a few months and it was a known fact he was going to be an UFA... and everyone assumed he was going to sign with the NYY.

Old
12-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Seriously, if anything, if I were a Texas fan sure it'd be sad to see him go, but I'd be happier that he signed with the Phillies instead of NY, which is where he was assumed to be headed to.

Old
12-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I agree that he does that very well, and it's important, but if he's hitting anywhere close to .300 with a .400 OBP again, we have to utilize that if our offense is otherwise struggling again. Ideally, guys bounce back and that alone makes up for the loss of a guy like Werth, but if not then we might need to move Chooch around.
He got those stats because the pitches a NL #8 hitter receives is a lot different than a number 2 or 5.

Old
12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He got those stats because the pitches a NL #8 hitter receives is a lot different than a number 2 or 5.
Of course there's some effect of that there, but it doesn't completely account for how well he did. He rarely swings at bad pitches. He did a good job recognizing when close pitches were balls (helps that he has a pretty good sense of how the strike zone is being called).

I don't think he'd thrive in a higher spot the way he did in the 8, but I do think it's more important to have a number 5 hitter with a half-decent OBP than the 8 hitter getting on at a .400 clip.

Old
12-15-2010, 02:45 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858

Old
12-15-2010, 03:12 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Rollins hit .298 against left-handers last year, and a career .282 hitter against LHP. That's not a bad thing to have behind Howard. Ideally, you want another slugger behind Howard who kills lefties. We don't have that, so you can pick one aspect. Polanco could fill that just as well, but he's too valuable in a moving the runners role, and doesn't have the power that even Rollins has when healthy. Jimmy is getting older, but he ain't old yet at 32.
It doesn't have to be a power guy behind Howard, it just has to be someone that a pitcher doesn't want to face. A guy with a .243 BA is not threatening anyone. Yeah he hit well against lefties last season, and throughout his career he has done better against lefties, but for the first 6 innings of every game when the Phillies face a righty, Jimmy Rollins will be there and pitchers will pitch around Howard. They won't intentionally walk him, but he will see a ton less hittable balls knowing that a guy who hit .218 vs RHP last season is coming up. Not to mention that regardless of whether or not Howard gets on base, you have a guy who hit .243 batting after him. I know last year was a really bad year for Rollins, but this is a guy who has a career avg under .275. Jimmy Rollins is one of my favorite players, but even at the leadoff spot where he has played his whole career pretty much, he is not the best option. If he wasn't as fast as he was, no way he hits leadoff. But that is besides the point. The bottom line is, Jimmy Rollins is not a #5 hitter. Not now. Not ever.

Old
12-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
It doesn't have to be a power guy behind Howard, it just has to be someone that a pitcher doesn't want to face. A guy with a .243 BA is not threatening anyone. Yeah he hit well against lefties last season, and throughout his career he has done better against lefties, but for the first 6 innings of every game when the Phillies face a righty, Jimmy Rollins will be there and pitchers will pitch around Howard. They won't intentionally walk him, but he will see a ton less hittable balls knowing that a guy who hit .218 vs RHP last season is coming up. Not to mention that regardless of whether or not Howard gets on base, you have a guy who hit .243 batting after him. I know last year was a really bad year for Rollins, but this is a guy who has a career avg under .275. Jimmy Rollins is one of my favorite players, but even at the leadoff spot where he has played his whole career pretty much, he is not the best option. If he wasn't as fast as he was, no way he hits leadoff. But that is besides the point. The bottom line is, Jimmy Rollins is not a #5 hitter. Not now. Not ever.
Why are you assuming our batting order will be the same vs. righty and lefty starters?

I don't care who you put behind Ryan Howard, the opposing manager/pitcher isn't going to change his approach to Howard unless the bases are loaded.

Old
12-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Why are you assuming our batting order will be the same vs. righty and lefty starters?

I don't care who you put behind Ryan Howard, the opposing manager/pitcher isn't going to change his approach to Howard unless the bases are loaded.
Ryan Howard kind of sucks.

There, I said it.

Old
12-15-2010, 05:35 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Depending on what Kendrick is scheduled to make, I would want my 5th starter to make around league minimum. If kk is a little above then ok, if not trade him for bench help. A few guys who would be a good option as a 5th starter assuming they would take league min:

Kevin millwood
Rich harden
Branden wbb-pipe dream if healthy
Pedro Martinez- would be very funny
Erik bedard- if healthy
Brian moehler
Chris young

While I never liked him dontrel willis is out there!
Vance Worley.

Old
12-15-2010, 05:39 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Trade Blanton for Morse. Have Worley as our fifth.

Rotation: Halladay-Lee-Oswalt-Hamels-Worley

1. Rollins
2. Polanco
3. Utley
4. Howard
5. Brown/Morse
6. Ibanez
7. Victorino
8. Ruiz
9. Pitcher spot

I love the line up !

Old
12-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Phileeguy
39.904N 75.168W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Vance Worley.

This. I liked what I saw from him last year, albeit in just a few outings. Definitely let him and KK fight it out in spring training depending on what they do with Blanton, who I don't mind as a 5th, but obviously has a higher price tag.

Old
12-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post

1. Rollins
2. Polanco
3. Utley
4. Howard
5. Brown/Morse
6. Ibanez
7. Victorino
8. Ruiz
9. Pitcher spot

I love the line up !
That line up looks alright but there is a huge potential for mediocrity with those guys. It's also old as dirt with very few exceptions.

Old
12-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Amaro out

vCash: 230
JRoll is the key to me, if he has good year in his contract year I think the offense will be fine.

Old
12-15-2010, 05:57 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
That line up looks alright but there is a huge potential for mediocrity with those guys. It's also old as dirt with very few exceptions.
baseball is a sport where you can lead the league in offensive stats and be 36 years old. I'm not worried about our guys being 32.

Everyone all of a sudden believes our offense is screwed because we had a bad year last year, typical Philadelphia mentality that this team should have already obliterated from this city years ago.

As for the 5th starter, Vance Whorley needs to be given every opportunity. He has good stuff and is a fairly smart pitcher. I'd actually love to have a slop baller back there, just to give a different look, but he would be a fine 5th starter.

My biggest concern right now is that these guys all throw at a relatively similar speed. In terms of hardest throwers, it would go Hamels > Doc > Lee = Oswalt. Doc, Lee and Oswalt are actually all about the same from a static speed perspective, but they all throw differently. Doc is downhill, Lee is attack the corners, and Oswalt is rising. Hamels can legitimately get into the mid 90's, possibly into higher mid 90s as he continues to develop his routine, but outside of that these guys are all 90-93mph fastball throwers. That's slightly worrying, and in that situation, having a guy like Jamie Moyer would not actually be a bad thing. Slow and control driven pitchers give a completely different look, and it would actually be a huge advantage imo.

Old
12-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
This is a billboard they are putting up on I95 south near center city.

Old
12-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Just no Kendrick please. Worley is the much better option imo.

Closed Thread