HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wade Redden contract termination option

Old
10-24-2010, 06:46 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Wade Redden contract termination option

The Kings terminated the contract of Erik Ersberg after he cleared waivers on Friday. Ersberg reported to Manchester(AHL)but then bolted for the KHL.

Pierre LeBrun wrote about it last night

Quote:
From a league source: "Player has obligation to perform under his contract, including by reporting to any team his contract is validly assigned to. If a player goes AWOL on his club, he is in material breach of his contract and his Club has the right to terminate his contract for non-performance."
Quote:
All of which should be of interest to fans of the New York Rangers, a team paying Wade Redden $6.5 million to play in AHL Hartford this season. He's got three years and $16.5 million left on his deal after this season. Based on the Ersberg situation, the Rangers could therefore terminate Redden's deal if he ever decided he got tired of AHL hockey. Food for thought.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-ersbergs-deal

Larry Brooks the same thing today

Quote:
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed in an e-mail to The Post on Friday that if Redden refuses to report to Hartford next September if and when he's assigned, the Rangers would be able to terminate his contract under terms of the CBA just as the Devils terminated Brendan Shanahan's contract last year when he refused to report to the AHL after he went unclaimed on waivers.

There is, Daly wrote, no difference whatsoever between the cases, even if Shanahan was operating under a one-year deal for $1M and Redden would have three years worth $16.5M remaining on his contract.

"The Devils [terminated]. So could the Rangers," Daly wrote.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz13H8H2Plv

We have discussed this topic before but there is more clarification including a quote from Daly and the league source.

Redden could go AWOL with the Rangers terminaing the contract thus allowing Redden to sign with another NHL team. It could be looked as a "mutual" termination because Redden knows the consequences of going AWOL. Teams will be looking for help on defense closer to the trade deadline. They can watch Reddden play in the AHL. Redden is in game shape. Lukas Krajicek went from TB to Philly last season when he refuses to report to the AHL and then became a Flyer a few days later.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:30 AM
misterjaggers

If Redden's smart, he stays in Hartford and rides the bus. Nobody else is going to pay him anything close to $6.5 million. Besides, travel in the Atlantic Division of the AHL isn't so onerous. Most of the bus trips are relatively brief.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:50 AM
The Fuhr*

16.5 million dollars to ride the bus.
He could afford a plane on any long trip if he wanted to.

Nobody walks away from that much money

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 08:02 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I'd love for Redden to do that, but I just don't see him him leaving that much guarenteed money on the table.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I'd love for Redden to do that, but I just don't see him him leaving that much guarenteed money on the table.
why do you even care? so the guy plays in the AHL and is paid huge money by the insanely rich.

he is off the cap, that is all that should matter to NYR fans.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 08:23 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
why do you even care? so the guy plays in the AHL and is paid huge money by the insanely rich.

Two things:

1) The hit comes back on the books every summer, when teams are allowed to exceed the cap by 10%.

2) His cap hit exceeds 10% of the total cap amount.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 08:25 AM
tjs252

Quote:

As long as he's in the organization, he counts against the summer cap, thereby limiting if not all together eliminating flexibility in the off-season.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 08:39 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

I've heard nothing but positive things about him so far in Hartford. I hope he stays, collects his money, and helps our young defenseman develop.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 08:50 AM
DutchShamrock

Most likely he'll gut it out through next year and hope for an amnesty buyout. He'll get $13m between this and next season, then 2/3 of $13m from a buyout and he can sign with an NHL team for whatever they'll pay.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Redden could go AWOL with the Rangers terminaing the contract thus allowing Redden to sign with another NHL team. It could be looked as a "mutual" termination because Redden knows the consequences of going AWOL. Teams will be looking for help on defense closer to the trade deadline. They can watch Reddden play in the AHL. Redden is in game shape. Lukas Krajicek went from TB to Philly last season when he refuses to report to the AHL and then became a Flyer a few days later.
I've been saying this for 2 years now lol

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:14 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:

Because his $6.5 million is on the cap from July 1st to the last week of training camp. So that's $6.5 million the Rangers cannot use in the summer to re-sign RFA's or sign UFA's.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Leetch3

redden could have done it this year and didn't. so what makes anyone think he'll give up the $$ next year?

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Miller Time NYR

Old news

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:13 AM
missionaborted

I think Redden will play out the contract in the AHL. Close to the end of his contract, he will retire. No one is sick enough to give up that kind of coin, especially when their best playing days are behind them... he likely won't get another shot at the NHL anyway.

missionaborted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Ola

Stay in HFD until a couple of weeks before the deadline. Then go AWOL, and sign a 1 year deal with a contender looking for help. Like Detroit or whatever. With a decent PO, which I am sure he would have in the right environment -- he could easily around 3m per.

He would then make like 6m in stead of 10m, that should be a fair price to save his career.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I would be really surprised if he rode it out in Hartford for 4 years.

that being said...he'll probably finish up this season and re-evaluate again next year depending on the season he has with the Whale

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
redden could have done it this year and didn't. so what makes anyone think he'll give up the $$ next year?
There could be different alternatives for him next summer. Everyone thought Gomez had negative value; everyone thought we were stuck with Kotalik for 2 1/2 more season's @3M; everyone thought Brashear's 35+/1.4M cap hit would hinder us until the end of his contract. Don't forget about Rissmiller and Voros.

Most teams have some crap they want to manage. Teams are constructed differently. Think about that Brashear trade. It was a brilliant move for both clubs, considering the financial details of the players exchanged and how it affected their internal preferences.

Another alternative for Redden might be Europe. He might want to collect two paychecks for the next few season's if he really wants to maximize his income. Rangers would be thrilled to eliminate him from the Cap, and the team in Europe would probably be able to sign him with some type of discount. (Maybe 2 years/7M tax-free, with an opportunity of competing for some type of championship. A much more appealing place to play/live than AHL/Hartford).

When does the current CBA expire? Next year? Year after? I'd be willing to bet that both party's vote for another round of buyouts.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 02:28 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
this all requires Redden to actually not go to the AHL, which I don't really see happening

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:55 AM
rangerssharks414

Well... we can all dream...

No way he leaves this much money on the table though.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:33 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Well... we can all dream...

No way he leaves this much money on the table though.
Money isn't always the most important thing ya know... He's already made plenty. I imagine a team would give him 3m in the NHL if he proved himself. He'd probably take less to play in the NHL again and salvage his career.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 08:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bruce Berlet asked Wade Redden about terminating his contract

Berlet referred to LB's Sunday column

Quote:
“At the end of the day, I don’t really want to be down here (in Hartford) playing out my contract, but that’s not so say that won’t happen,” Redden said. “I’ll make those decisions after the season. The options will be there. There are a lot of different scenarios that could play out, so I just have to let them play out. Whatever happens is going to take care of itself, but I can’t worry about it. For anything to work, I’ve got to play well, and that’s all my focus is on right now.”

Redden has been a stabilizing influence for a young defense, playing alongside rookies Tomas Kundratek and Jyri Niemi in eight games and Jared Nightingale in the other. Redden admits it’s doubtful that he’ll ever end up back with the Rangers, but there are 29 other NHL teams, and one might need a veteran defenseman if hit by injuries, especially down the stretch.
http://howlings2.wordpress.com/2010/...ruce-berlet-4/

The only way Redden will be playing for another NHL team this season or next season or any season is if he breaches his contract which allows the Rangers to terminate it. Redden becomes a free agent and hooks up with another NHL organization. Different scenarios?

Redden will not be playing out the remainder of his 6 year contract in CT.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 08:29 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I do give Redden credit on one thing, it seems like he's been good about this entire situation and not causing problems down in Hartford like Rissmiller apparently did.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 08:52 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Bruce Berlet asked Wade Redden about terminating his contract

Berlet referred to LB's Sunday column

http://howlings2.wordpress.com/2010/...ruce-berlet-4/

The only way Redden will be playing for another NHL team this season or next season or any season is if he breaches his contract which allows the Rangers to terminate it. Redden becomes a free agent and hooks up with another NHL organization. Different scenarios?

Redden will not be playing out the remainder of his 6 year contract in CT.
There's different situations, but only two of them are remotely realistic.

a) he continues to play for Hartford, passes go each year, and collects $$$.

b) he terminates the contract and signs an NHL contract as a #5-#6 defenseman worth probably 10-20% of what he currently earns.

I'm sure what Redden is hoping for is that the Rangers buy him out, so he can collect most of his money and still return to the NHL. It's an option, but the chances of it happening are so slim they may actually be negative.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Whatever happens, is not going to happen until Sept 2011. Redden will play out the year in Hartford, will be returned to the NHL roster at the end of the season and take up cap space until he's sent down during training camp next year. Then, the possibility of him finding another team to play for will come into play.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:16 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Whatever happens, is not going to happen until Sept 2011. Redden will play out the year in Hartford, will be returned to the NHL roster at the end of the season and take up cap space until he's sent down during training camp next year. Then, the possibility of him finding another team to play for will come into play.
Thats not necessarily true. He could decide to void his contract in the offseason so that he has time to catch on with another team somewhere. If he waited until he was sent down during training camp there won't be very many teams with either a spot open or cap space to pay even a #5/6 defenseman.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote