HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres/Ducks talking trade

Old
10-24-2010, 01:22 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
With the way Butler has played since getting back in the lineup, there's no way I'd want the Sabres to deal him now - he looks as good as he did in his rookie callup of '08-'09. And I don't think Weber has had enough of a chance to prove himself as a full-timer - nor does he qualify as a "puck-moving defenseman".

Sekera, if anyone, would be the best candidate if such talks are indeed happening.
Agreed. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over losing Sekera, although he's been solid so far this season. I just believe that other teams still overrate his offensive potential, so the Sabres could potentially get more for him.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 01:53 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Where did you get that from - the only reference LeBrun makes to anything involving the Sabres is a general remark that they're talking to the Ducks. No players are named in the article.

If anything, the "puck moving defenseman" reference seems odd to me, given how Visnovksy clearly gives the Ducks a top-notch one of that type and Lydman isn't too immobile or bad with the puck either. Considering the injury to Sutton, I would think that Anaheim is missing more of the big physical, shot-blocking type of defenseman - which would then plausibly make Weber more of a fit in that regard.
Weber isn't considered a PMD, he's considered a stay at home type.
I was looking at Sekera over any other D man in the Sabres stable at this time.
And of course, I stated, it was merely opinion, I can only deduce what I can deduce based on the wording of the article. And it stated looking for a PMD.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Tachycineta

Niedermeyer for Lydman j/k

Anyways, I highly doubt it's Koivu. They signed him and as an earlier poster stated- he came back to play with his fellow Finn. If he wanted to be a Sabre, he would have been. It would be a slap in the face for the Ducks to ship him off.

I hope we don't trade Sekera but eh, we'll see. I don't see Butler or Weber being much of an improvement over Sbisa either but maybe Luca can keep getting big minutes in the A.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 03:58 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
Niedermeyer for Lydman j/k

Anyways, I highly doubt it's Koivu. They signed him and as an earlier poster stated- he came back to play with his fellow Finn. If he wanted to be a Sabre, he would have been. It would be a slap in the face for the Ducks to ship him off.

I hope we don't trade Sekera but eh, we'll see. I don't see Butler or Weber being much of an improvement over Sbisa either but maybe Luca can keep getting big minutes in the A.
Maybe we'll get both Finns?

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 04:50 PM
madpooh

What about something like

Sekera/Butler for Beleskey

madpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:48 PM
ixciuncle

I suspect we'll see something like this:

for

ixciuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 05:56 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
um, overpay much?

Take out Sekera?
Ducks aren't going to make a trade unless they get a D-man back. If they're dealing for futures, it'll happen at the deadline.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:10 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

i don't know for who but Luca Sbisa would interest me.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 10-24-2010 at 06:35 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:34 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
More like....Weber for a 4th.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:49 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
More like....Weber for a 4th.
Exactly. Regier and ruff don't like having guys sitting around not playing. At this point Weber is the guy that hasn't played a game, therefore, he's likely the guy Regier would like to move, think waiving Paetsch and Mair last year and his comments therein.

With each game that he carries Rivet, Sekera's value rises. He's been the most consistent d-man so far this season. Since the Olympics he's been steadily improving.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

I wouldn't want to trade with Anaheim.

They would never trade Getzlaf, Perry, Selanne, Ryan, Koivu, or Hiller. And the rest of their team is just meh. Beleskey is okay, but he wouldn't fit in our line-up right now. Sbisa is gonna be good but they probably wouldn't give him up either. Lubo might help us, but again, he's probably not going either unless we overpay.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 06:59 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I know it mentions defensemen but we could also be talking about a forward here. Gerbe would flourish with more ice time and the right roster. the ducks seem like a good roster for a player of his talent. Not trying to anger gerbe fans, he just may be in a similar position as cmac was.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 10-24-2010 at 07:17 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Exactly. Regier and ruff don't like having guys sitting around not playing. At this point Weber is the guy that hasn't played a game, therefore, he's likely the guy Regier would like to move
You mean 'before last night...'

There still hasn't been any public revelation of what "budget" Regier said in August the team was told to abide by - maybe they're fine as is or maybe they're not. If money's an issue (like it often is), Sekera is the most expensive and also on the last year of his current deal (as are Butler and Weber).

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:32 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Exactly. Regier and ruff don't like having guys sitting around not playing. At this point Weber is the guy that hasn't played a game, therefore, he's likely the guy Regier would like to move, think waiving Paetsch and Mair last year and his comments therein.

With each game that he carries Rivet, Sekera's value rises. He's been the most consistent d-man so far this season. Since the Olympics he's been steadily improving.

Ta,
I have to disagree. Unlike Paetsch and Mair, Weber has future in the NHL.

Weber has only 3 pro seasons under his belt and is just 22yrs old. Paetsch was a month or so from turning 27 years old and near the end of his 7th pro season when he was moved. I think because of that 16 game call up in his rookie pro season. Its feels like Weber has been around longer than he actually has been.

Weber can be an effective bottom pairing dman and has an upside of 2nd pairing. He is young enough to not write him off yet and I'd be surprised if the Sabres did. Just look at the bounce back years Sekera and Butler are having so far. The Sabres usually get to the 2nd contract with their youngsters.

With Rivet likely gone due to retirement and Monty's deal up. Weber will likely have a roster spot and possibly a starting spot next season. Unlike Paetsch, who had been bypassed by all the youngsters on the team (Sekera, Butler and Myers) and had shown that he is a fringe NHLer at the time of the trade. He was well past having an upside.

I would amend your statement and say that they don't like keeping guys around that don't fit into their plans going forward (Paestch, Paille, CMac).

Last edited by joshjull: 10-24-2010 at 09:49 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:21 AM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyOldMan View Post
I suspect we'll see something like this:

for
hmmm...nothing for nothing?

sounds aboot right...

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
With Rivet likely gone due to retirement and Monty's deal up. Weber will likely have a roster spot and possibly a starting spot next season. Unlike Paetsch, who had been bypassed by all the youngsters on the team (Sekera, Butler and Myers) and had shown that he is a fringe NHLer at the time of the trade. He was well past having an upside.
It's a small point, but I think they'll try to re-sign Monty. Notwithstanding their usual policy of letting players of that age walk in free agency, I think Ruff's desire for righties on the blueline will trump that policy. Plus, I think he probably has more of a presence in the room than most of us realize. I could definitely see a two-year deal for slightly more than what he's making now. He could be a bridge to players like Pysyk, JGL and Matt MacKenzie.

I agree that Weber will be a roster player going forward. I think Leopold, Morrisonn, Butler, and Weber will be the LD's next season, with Myers, Sekera and (possibly) Monty on the right.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Sabretip

Quote:

Weber has only 3 pro seasons under his belt and is just 22yrs old. Paetsch was a month or so from turning 27 years old and near the end of his 7th pro season when he was moved. I think because of that 16 game call up in his rookie pro season. Its feels like Weber has been around longer than he actually has been.

Weber can be an effective bottom pairing dman and has an upside of 2nd pairing. He is young enough to not write him off yet and I'd be surprised if the Sabres did. Just look at the bounce back years Sekera and Butler are having so far. The Sabres usually get to the 2nd contract with their youngsters.

I would amend your statement and say that they don't like keeping guys around that don't fit into their plans going forward (Paestch, Paille, CMac).
Excellent post; another point that management hopefully is fully aware of is that, if Rivet and Montador both are let go, Morrisonn would be the only defenseman with a semblance of a physical style and he has never really lived up to expectations of a tough defenseman. If Weber gets dealt, the Sabres would have a glaring hole in that regard until McNabb is ready in a few years or be forced to bring in such a type of defender from the outside in the interim.

Weber may not pan out in the long term but, as you noted, he hasn't really had enough time at the NHL level to either prove or disqualify himself for a roster spot.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:28 AM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
I'd be down with a Sekera for Beleskey/Sexton swap.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Luceni

Vanek and Sekera for Getzlaf ?

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 07:36 AM
joechip

Quote:

This is what I meant to say, Josh... I just did it poorly. Regier has shown he's uncomfortable keeping guys on the bench negatively impacting their careers. His comments about the Peatsch and Mair waivings made this explicit, that he felt it was unfair for them to be sitting if there was an opportunity for them to play somewhere else.

I meant no slight to Weber's upside. Both Sekera and Butler have played well this season and Sekera continues to improve nightly, hence Weber is the odd man out, though he still has value to the team.

Ta,

Old
10-25-2010, 11:15 AM
joshjull

Quote:
This is what I meant to say, Josh... I just did it poorly. Regier has shown he's uncomfortable keeping guys on the bench negatively impacting their careers. His comments about the Peatsch and Mair waivings made this explicit, that he felt it was unfair for them to be sitting if there was an opportunity for them to play somewhere else.

I meant no slight to Weber's upside. Both Sekera and Butler have played well this season and Sekera continues to improve nightly, hence Weber is the odd man out, though he still has value to the team.

Ta,
In a way Weber and Kassian were in the same boat. Neither was able to earn a spot out of camp and would best served playing in the AHL. But the only options available to each weren't the most desirable. In Weber's case it was staying up as the 8th dman since they didn't want to expose him to waivers. But I think both fit into the team's plans going forward.

Old
10-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Deevo

Had a dream last night that we acquired Bobby Ryan.

Was so bummed when I woke up.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:05 PM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
i don't know for who but Luca Sbisa would interest me.
Speaking as a Ducks STH, he's not NHL ready and I don't think he ever will be. He's obscenely bad in his own end and doesn't contribute enough offensively to make up for it.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:18 PM
joechip

Quote:
In a way Weber and Kassian were in the same boat. Neither was able to earn a spot out of camp and would best served playing in the AHL. But the only options available to each weren't the most desirable. In Weber's case it was staying up as the 8th dman since they didn't want to expose him to waivers. But I think both fit into the team's plans going forward.
I hope so, but if Regier is looking to make a trade, he may be the most likely candidate. Point's moot, Rivet's injured so Weber's in. I don't see Regier trading a defenseman while he's got two on the sidelines injured.

Ta,

Old
10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I hope so, but if Regier is looking to make a trade, he may be the most likely candidate. Point's moot, Rivet's injured so Weber's in. I don't see Regier trading a defenseman while he's got two on the sidelines injured.

PtTa,

I think he will play more than Paetsch did. I can't imagine we will be as healthy on the backend as we were last year.