HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Interesting article The Hockey News about the Sens

Old
10-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Derivation

vCash: 500
Interesting article The Hockey News about the Sens

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-Senators.html

Quote:
THN.com Blog: No solution for Senators Alex Kovalev hasn't found the back of the net once this season in eight games (Getty Images)
John Grigg
2010-10-24 09:13:00

We here at THN took some heat over our 2010 Yearbook predictions, not the least of which came from Ottawa. Senators fans were pretty upset we picked their team to finish 10th in the East and let it be known fairly vociferously. I wonder what they’re saying now?

Ottawa sits 29th overall, with an offense at No. 29 (2.00 goals per game) and a defense at No. 24 (3.25 goals-against per game). The team’s lone bright spot had been the play of top netminder Pascal Leclaire, who’s currently nursing a groin strain and doesn’t look like he’ll be able to stay healthy enough long-term to be the go-to guy.

Now, I’m not suggesting it’s time for the Senators to hit the panic button - it’s early yet - but the team simply hasn’t looked good and GM Bryan Murray made it known last week he’s looking to make changes. My question is, just what does he think he can do?

Capgeek.com lists the Senators as having less than $350,000 of salary cap wiggle room, meaning they’ll have to move significant dollars to make any significant changes. Center Jason Spezza was rumored to be on the block during the summer. He comes with a $7-million cap hit and a penchant for playing a game closer to that of a shinny star than of a responsible NHLer.

Last edited by Timmy: 10-24-2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: copyright
Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:07 AM
The Fuhr

He's right

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
Way off base on Spezza, other than that he makes a kinda good but pretty obvious point. The article overall is misinformed but the point hes making is relevant.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:25 AM
AStammer7*

Some Sens Have Quit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Way off base on Spezza, other than that he makes a kinda good but pretty obvious point. The article overall is misinformed but the point hes making is relevant.
Seems to me that since dealing DHeatley,Sens like JSpezza have been looking for a new address. If the Sens continue to slide I'd be releasing players that are underachieving and trading the likes of Spezza to start anew. If Leclaire can get healthy and play well I'd part with him too since Ottawa's future seems to be RLehner and BElliott. Other veterans to purge would be CPhillips,he would bring something of value in return. Ottawa needs to go to the rebuild,this half ass effort at restocking doesn't work...so SGonchar and AKovalev should be shown the door... If Ottawa is to go into the tank this would be a year to finish in the bottom 3. They could one of Couturier,Nugent-Hopkins or Larsson which are great consolation prizes. Landeskog would be pretty good too if they finish in the middle of the pack!!!

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:28 AM
MatthewT

hard to argue with that, although Spezza would not survive playing in Toronto

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Minister of Offence

Did they admit they were wrong last year? The winning streak thing is so lame.

He's right and wrong in some respects. If we're as bad as he thinks then that potential franchise player we get in the lottery might make it better faster.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

It's a good article.

Murray isn't the devil but he's not great either. In a way, the Cup run was disastrous for this team as it skewed management perceptions toward what happened in the first three rounds (utter dominance by the pizza line) and not what the end result was (complete handling and humbling at the hands of the Ducks); additionally, it looks like losing Volchenkov and Sutton hurt immensely.

If the team continues to linger like this into late November and December...it may be time to ask some hard questions.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:19 AM
enviro61

I think the next 3 years are going to be very rough on us Sens fans in the standings. If we can accept that then it won't be so rough. That is, assuming the GM and ownership can come to terms with the fact we are not a cup contender and firm their resolve towards building a younger, faster team and moving away from the temptation of signing aging UFAs.

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Chrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
I think the next 3 years are going to be very rough on us Sens fans in the standings. If we can accept that then it won't be so rough. That is, assuming the GM and ownership can come to terms with the fact we are not a cup contender and firm their resolve towards building a younger, faster team and moving away from the temptation of signing aging UFAs.
I'm not so sure. The rookies coming in over the next few years are very promising IMO. Obviously rookies will make mistakes and Ottawa won't be a premiere team, but with the combination of rookies coming in and money coming off the books, this team should easily be able to put together a competitive, playoff bound team.

Look at the players coming off the books next year as an example (although I know 1 or 2 will be retained):

Ruutu
Phillips
Carkner
Elliott
Leclaire
Kovalev
Shannon
Campoli

Chrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:36 AM
bert

Quote:
Its true, the fans have to accept it this core is not winning the cup. Now this team does have some good key pieces in place a rebuild to contention over 3 years is completely do able if they do it right. First of all I think ownership needs needs to clear house with the management its obvious they will not rebuild. Also shows the fans they are going in a different direction.

All bad contracts and players over 27 should realistically go for youth assets and cap space.

This team needs a new franchise forward and a franchise goaltender aswell as a young up and coming forward for the fans to cheer for and be optomistic about.

All of these guys should go in the next 2 years Fisher, Phillips, Neil, Ruutu, Kovalev, Gonchar, Kuba, Carkner, Elliot, Kelly, Leclaire and unfortunately Alfredsson.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Derivation

Quote:
Yeah I'm sick of this off-season signing aging vets who are just declining in value, highly overpaying them and screwing up our cap. Now we have no money to play with so we're basically stuck.

Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:57 AM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
The article is so full of obvious it's painful. What has the author brought to the table that hasn't already been discussed ad nauseum here? To me it's just a thinly veiled "told you so!" 8 games into the season.

Who would have thought after how we ended last season that Karlsson and Regin would be struggling as badly as they have been. We need the younger 'underpaid' guys to step it up to play at the level they did at the end of last season.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyellowsub View Post
Yeah I'm sick of this off-season signing aging vets who are just declining in value, highly overpaying them and screwing up our cap. Now we have no money to play with so we're basically stuck.
10+ mil next year

Old
10-24-2010, 12:08 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Originally Posted by THN
We here at THN took some heat over our 2010 Yearbook predictions, not the least of which came from Ottawa. Senators fans were pretty upset we picked their team to finish 10th in the East and let it be known fairly vociferously. I wonder what they’re saying now?
It is perhaps a sign of the times, but i have been noticing this more often lately, like the guys over at the Sun, sportswriters, sick of all the heat they are taking from fans, lashing out and responding back directly to fans who took shots at them. Im pretty sure they would never have dared do such a thing back when they were relevant.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
It is perhaps a sign of the times, but i have been noticing this more often lately, like the guys over at the Sun, sportswriters, sick of all the heat they are taking from fans, lashing out and responding back directly to fans who took shots at them. Im pretty sure they would never have dared do such a thing back when they were relevant.
Why they bring up Spezza to the leafs is beyond me.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:35 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
It's been 8 games. If we're 29th after 40 games then he might be right but for now that article is kind of pointless.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Why they bring up Spezza to the leafs is beyond me.
Written by Leafs, for Leafs.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:50 PM
MIZZA

To me its chemistry...and that is the main reason the team is struggling. Having your top center and you best all around d man out doesn't help either.

Fisher, Regin, Foligno and Kovalev have a combined 2 goals between them.

Thats where the problem is. We all know those guys are capable of playing at the NHL level, maybe not so much Kovalev because hes so rust right now, but Fisher, Regin and Foligno are all capable NHL players.

Some might say its coaching but Clutsons system has worked the past two seasons...

MIZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 12:56 PM
ARS

Agree with most of the article, don't agree with his Spezza quip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
It's a good article.

Murray isn't the devil but he's not great either. In a way, the Cup run was disastrous for this team as it skewed management perceptions toward what happened in the first three rounds (utter dominance by the pizza line) and not what the end result was (complete handling and humbling at the hands of the Ducks); additionally, it looks like losing Volchenkov and Sutton hurt immensely.

If the team continues to linger like this into late November and December...it may be time to ask some hard questions.
Completely agree with this. To add to this post, I think the fact that we made the playoffs last year and did so coming in 5th in the East also hurt the team. It gave management the perception that the team was good enough as is, hence the low player turnover over the summer, when in reality the team had many glaring holes and the playoff appearance was mostly a product of an unlikely 11 game winning streak.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

I'd rather watch a young team lose then an old team not give an effort.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:13 PM
MHX
Hockey Makes Us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieRunsValhalla View Post
This!

MHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 07:13 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
I think it's a case of the publisher having an increasingly hard sell for the tabloid. People like me would rather come here or go to their favorite sports blog, rather than read the typical Sun columnist.

The writers have to be feeling some pressure, otherwise they wouldn't respond to the great unwashed, who they consider beneath them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieRunsValhalla View Post
For sure. That's why people are so excited by EDM.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

**** that guy for trying to spite the fans. "Legitimate" writers in more conventional publications complain about the unprofessionalism of bloggers, but this article just reads as a huge "we told you so".

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Pangu

Saying how right you were after 8 games is idiotic.

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangu View Post
Saying how right you were after 8 games is idiotic.
Yeah. It would be like me thumbing my nose at Thrashers fans because I predicted a 60 goal season for Clarke McArthur.