HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2010, 10:35 AM
redbull
game on

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Gordon is being forced to play DP. Bottom line. He has to tow the company line on Wang's "investment."

Gordon is in the final season of his contract. In year 1, he walked into the most bizarre goalie drama in NHL history except the 24 hours of Roy in Montreal. The rest of the season he had the pleasure of NHL fodder. In year 2, NYI actually had respectable goaltenders, but lacked any true talent in front of them to make a difference. In year 3, well, the DP Rodeo returns.

Gordon's tenure has been mired in the DP show - he has yet to BENEFIT from DP, but is saddled with him while the owner is requiring him to play him. The coach does not challenge the owner and his 15 year noose. Sorry folks.

If NYI let Gordon walk, another franchise will gladly scoop him up as their head coach because they KNOW exactly the situation he has endured during his coaching tenure.

DP is terrible right now and the players lack any confidence they can win with him. A recipe for disaster...
I agree completely. Gordon's been screwed with this roster - as was Nolan before him.

It's hard to blame the coach. This team tries really hard, they lack talent. They're also very young and very inexperienced so it's completely understandable to feel completely defeated mentally when a bad goal goes in, then another, etc.

Confidence is a critical thing for any team, let alone a young team.

Say what you will about playing teenagers and ruining players. A young player that loses confidence by not having any personal or team success is not something easily overcome!

Old
11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Odd....when I see all these posts agreeing with me after years of being banned or whatnot, I really, REALLY hope people are kind to Rick, as I think this is it for him and I feel for him. Two scopes so no cartilage, can't play HIS game, lacks the talent to play stand up.....he's going to have to latch onto a TV job and retire or become a demonized character by hanging on to collect a paycheck.

his technique/habits led to this, and now he's stuck in a corner unable to get out.

Wang...I have no sympathy. Hope he can toil in his stupidity for the rest of his natural life the maroon. But Rick I hope does not get flamed except for his wandering......that's on him. I think he's done.
As a part time poster here I used to agree with OTH and posted my share of anti DP threads, only to get bashed and told I was wrong to the point I stopped posting and bashing my head against the wall waiting for all to see the light. I give OTH great props in continuing to provide factual and statistical info to back his thoughts, that at the end of the day turned out right. What makes me laugh now is that all of the people that were drinking the DP juice are hoping not to get hurt jumping off the band wagon.

This guy sucks, always had and always will. Once again we Isles fans are being held hostage and being forced to deal with this garbage by Wang. As if holding us hostage to get a new buoilding wasn't bad enough.

Old
11-04-2010, 11:47 AM
DoggyOnDown

I think DP is a class act and a good team guy.... that being said send him to Bridgeport where he can learn how to be an NHL goalie again. Right now his bad habits and poor play is killing the other 19 guys.

Old
11-04-2010, 11:56 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
As a part time poster here I used to agree with OTH and posted my share of anti DP threads, only to get bashed and told I was wrong to the point I stopped posting and bashing my head against the wall waiting for all to see the light. I give OTH great props in continuing to provide factual and statistical info to back his thoughts, that at the end of the day turned out right. What makes me laugh now is that all of the people that were drinking the DP juice are hoping not to get hurt jumping off the band wagon.

This guy sucks, always had and always will. Once again we Isles fans are being held hostage and being forced to deal with this garbage by Wang. As if holding us hostage to get a new buoilding wasn't bad enough.
Nobody WANTS to root against this team. Nobody WANTS to root against a player who is so important to this team or an owner "who saved us" or a GM "who needs to be given a chance" or a coach who "is going to get it one day and who was named to USA's coaching" naturally.

But when we keep looking at small pictures we lose sight of the big picture.

DP was injured so much before the big one hit on his knee. DP wandered and made his own players nauseus. DP played the puck so badly, at times, if was disgusting.

But many want anything orange to succeed so badly. Well, we hit the time to wonder if we should have counted so much on him despite his shortcomings. I've seen countless people waiting on the big success lose a ton on investments they refused to acknowledge the negative with.

I say play him until he retires. Pride has to kick in, right?

Old
11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
majormet

At some point, the Islanders might have to learn from another Rick.

It looks like the Isles have a solid 41 year old goalie for this year and 2 potential studs in Bridgeport, so the need for Rick Dipietro as a goalie is not there, so.......

At what point would you pull a Rick Ankiel and find another position for Dipietro and let him learn it in the farms for 1-2 years, he could become a 4th line pugilist at worst case.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:

This is about as intelligent as some fool urging evacuation from a low-lying area for fear of a flood that unpredictably comes 4 years later. Then, when the flood comes, the fool says, "I told you so."

Dipietro sucks now. His stubbornness to temper his aggressiveness with the puck, which was always a moderate problem, has become pathetic in his reduced physical condition. Previously, however, he was dynamic and stubborn. Now he's lethargic and stubborn.

Making a commitment not to evacuate a low-lying area for 15 years in case of a flood? That's dumb. But nobody disagrees about the stupidity of the contract.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
11-04-2010, 12:20 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:

OTH, and others, don't like DPs game - that's been clear for a long time.

To say he has always sucked is absurd.

It wasn't that long ago that DiPietro was a star in this league, on one of the worst teams in the league. DiPietro was always as very good goalie, going back to College, WJCs and throughout his NHL career.

Until he got hurt.

If anyone denies this they are being dishonest or they hadn't watched the games he played before that.
------ all that aside ------

just because he's playing games, doesn't mean he's "healthy" and doesn't mean he's the same goalie as before.

He has missed two seasons and he has rust.

He's also had surgeries, physio, rehabs on his body.

I believe you can shake off rust and get your timing and feel back fairly quickly (ie. He should be pretty close to that now. He's played in a full camp, he's played enough NHL games already this year that the rust should be gone)

Is DiPietro the same goalie as before? That's the multimillion dollar question and that's what the team and DiPietro needs to figure out.

He does make the easy save look hard. He does make the odd spectacular save but he also lets in goals he needs to save. He doesn't look right in the net with his body language at times, he doesn't look confident. A goalie who lacks confidence is awful - also means the team will lack confidence in front of him. Toronto fans saw that with Toskala last year and it's night-and-day with Giguere and Gustavsson this year (although they still cannot score because they lack quality forwards, not unlike the Islanders)

There's a lot of DP hate and resentment on this board - that's obvious. If you cut through the contract and the emotions, look at the player, the surgeries and the work he's put in to get back and battle, you have to pull for the guy.

We all wish he could play like he used to - no doubt about it.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post

It looks like the Isles have a solid 41 year old goalie for this year and 2 potential studs in Bridgeport, so the need for Rick Dipietro as a goalie is not there, so.......

At what point would you pull a Rick Ankiel and find another position for Dipietro and let him learn it in the farms for 1-2 years, he could become a 4th line pugilist at worst case.

DP could probably play D better than Gervais though.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Isles Junkie

Party like it's 2021...Rick must retired

Old
11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Expose him to waivers???? If any team takes him I will drive him to that city myself. No one is going to take that contract off our hands.
Well obviously but in the eyes of NYI management given their view of reality it still would matter to them. However since it makes sense, it probably won't happen.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:56 PM
goal1228

Lets face it DP will never be the goalie he once was.i think Gordon is being told to use him and either he gets back to form (which is highly unlikely) or he gets hurt
and forced into retirement.He is no where near the level for an NHL goalie
its a shame and the isles are going to lose more games until this happens

Old
11-04-2010, 01:09 PM
1islefan

Even my 8 year old son thinks he sucks. He turns on the TV to watch the game last night, I'm sitting in the next room over and the next thing I hear from him are..." Oh great! DiPietro is in goal, another loss tonight." I had to smile to myself when I heard him say that.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:39 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

It wasn't that long ago that DiPietro was a star in this league, on one of the worst teams in the league. DiPietro was always as very good goalie, going back to College, WJCs and throughout his NHL career.

Until he got hurt.

If anyone denies this they are being dishonest or they hadn't watched the games he played before that.
t should be gone)

Is DiPietro the same goalie as before? That's the multimillion dollar question and that's what the team and DiPietro needs to figure out.

He does make the easy save look hard. He does make the odd spectacular save but he also lets in goals he needs to save. He doesn't look right in the net with his body language at times, he doesn't look confident. A goalie who lacks confidence is awful - also means the team will lack confidence in front of him. Toronto fans saw that with Toskala last year and it's night-and-day with Giguere and Gustavsson this year (although they still cannot score because they lack quality forwards, not unlike the Islanders)

There's a lot of DP hate and resentment on this board - that's obvious. If you cut through the contract and the emotions, look at the player, the surgeries and the work he's put in to get back and battle, you have to pull for the guy.

This is a good post but illustrates something: myopia.

I hated his game when he started, endured it and watched it improve as he stopped wandering, stopped flopping stopped doing everything on my laundry list and began to like him more. I hated his ego and maturity until just before he got married when he started to say and do the things which showed maturity (though before that he gave soundbites in me-me fashion on how mature he was, he actually has SHOWN his maturity and growth in character).

So he had a good year after awful ones and a great year after that and then.....his play went bad (gaffes and gambles and idiotic decisions) and his health, which was a big concern, became a HUGE concern.

Since then, his game has been as bad as it was in his first two years.

So if you're equating the years before and after his two years of being solid, you're being dishonest.

That said, I'm pulling for him to regain his form from years ago or to retire with dignity and land a job on VS as his growth in character recently has me rooting for him presonally regardless of wanting to throw a zamboni on him for his decisions.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:48 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
This is a good post but illustrates something: myopia.

I hated his game when he started, endured it and watched it improve as he stopped wandering, stopped flopping stopped doing everything on my laundry list and began to like him more. I hated his ego and maturity until just before he got married when he started to say and do the things which showed maturity (though before that he gave soundbites in me-me fashion on how mature he was, he actually has SHOWN his maturity and growth in character).

So he had a good year after awful ones and a great year after that and then.....his play went bad (gaffes and gambles and idiotic decisions) and his health, which was a big concern, became a HUGE concern.

Since then, his game has been as bad as it was in his first two years.

So if you're equating the years before and after his two years of being solid, you're being dishonest.

That said, I'm pulling for him to regain his form from years ago or to retire with dignity and land a job on VS as his growth in character recently has me rooting for him presonally regardless of wanting to throw a zamboni on him for his decisions.
I agree with your last paragraph!

I agree about the idiotic decisions to leave the net - never liked that myself. No comment on the ego/maturity/character but he has appeared far more mature this year than any other year - but also appears to have lost all confidence.

We can agree to disagree about the period of time where he was a great goalie, despite his wandering errors at times. I think he carried the team on his own for several years - even though they weren't very good overall, they had "last place roster" written all over them in years where DiPietro was the only shining star.

A bad team can make a good goalie look awful

A great goalie rarely helps a bad team.

But you need a great goalie to win, especially in the playoffs (except I don't understand this past year!)

Again, I agree with your last paragraph.

Truth is, if DiPietro can't play as well as he used to, at his peak, I'd prefer him on Versus (and so would he, probably)

I'm still prepared to give him more time though. Rolson or Brodeur or Patrick Roy or all of them cannot help this team, this year.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Isles Fan

Sorry...IMO he's always sucked. The numbers prove it.

He had a flash in the pan strectch of game a few years back and a decent Olympics and everyone got gaga. Follow his career starting in college and through the minors, never won squat.

Was never anything than an average NHL netminder and now way worse than that. He was never going to carry this team because he thinks there is an "I" in team and it has to be all about him, despite what he says to the media.

What is funny is that most of the conversation about him has always revolved potential. That always made me laugh becuse, again if you looked at his career numbers, nothing there supported these thoughts. It was all hype and most bought in.

I for one wish him well and hope he goes away sooner rather than later because right now, he is holding this team back from taking the next step in their growth process. For those who have been around a while, this team reminds me a bit of those hungry bunch of kids from the mid '70's that lead to the dynasty years. Biggest difference is that the teams in the '70's didn't have an albatross in goal.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Sorry...IMO he's always sucked. The numbers prove it.

He had a flash in the pan strectch of game a few years back and a decent Olympics and everyone got gaga. Follow his career starting in college and through the minors, never won squat.

Was never anything than an average NHL netminder and now way worse than that. He was never going to carry this team because he thinks there is an "I" in team and it has to be all about him, despite what he says to the media.

What is funny is that most of the conversation about him has always revolved potential. That always made me laugh becuse, again if you looked at his career numbers, nothing there supported these thoughts. It was all hype and most bought in.

I for one wish him well and hope he goes away sooner rather than later because right now, he is holding this team back from taking the next step in their growth process. For those who have been around a while, this team reminds me a bit of those hungry bunch of kids from the mid '70's that lead to the dynasty years. Biggest difference is that the teams in the '70's didn't have an albatross in goal.
While I disagree about his year and a half stretch where he was solid to very good, I agree with the sentiment that he might be holding us back from moving onward and upward.

Call me middle of the road on this - which I should NEVER have been accused of

Old
11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Quote:

Until he got hurt.

just because he's playing games, doesn't mean he's "healthy" and doesn't mean he's the same goalie as before.

I believe you can shake off rust and get your timing and feel back fairly quickly (ie. He should be pretty close to that now. He's played in a full camp, he's played enough NHL games already this year that the rust should be gone)

There's a lot of DP hate and resentment on this board - that's obvious. If you cut through the contract and the emotions, look at the player, the surgeries and the work he's put in to get back and battle, you have to pull for the guy. We all wish he could play like he used to - no doubt about it.

Wish others could be so sensible.

Instead they hate him, want him gone, and don't want to see him do well.

It's disgusting.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:00 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post

Wish others could be so sensible.

Instead they hate him, want him gone, and don't want to see him do well.

It's disgusting.
That's not true. They want him to either be able to win us games or not play......the team's handling amplifies this and urges them to want him gone because there's no way we do the sensible thing and play him on merit while we do the looksie experiment.

Yeah, a few seem to hate him. Fine. The majority of those who want him off the roster want him to be doing this in the AHL or practice, so don't be disingenuous in professing a mass hatred or jealousy or whatever.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

Quote:
That's not true. They want him to either be able to win us games or not play......the team's handling amplifies this and urges them to want him gone because there's no way we do the sensible thing and play him on merit while we do the looksie experiment.

Yeah, a few seem to hate him. Fine. The majority of those who want him off the roster want him to be doing this in the AHL or practice, so don't be disingenuous in professing a mass hatred or jealousy or whatever.
I don't think they want him to even win games. That's the overwhelming sentiment I get from many here.

It's not like he has an all star team in front of him. The team isn't the best, and he isn't back to prime playing condition obviously yet.

You'd think there would be more support for how hard he's worked.

I don't think with or without him we are a playoff team.

When I look at our roster I don't see Stanley Cup champions this year or next.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
I don't think they want him to even win games. That's the overwhelming sentiment I get from many here.

It's not like he has an all star team in front of him. The team isn't the best, and he isn't back to prime playing condition obviously yet.

You'd think there would be more support for how hard he's worked.

I don't think with or without him we are a playoff team.

When I look at our roster I don't see Stanley Cup champions this year or next.
When you pay money to watch games, do you want them to win? It's frustrating. It's like paying to acquire a nice car but you buy it waiting for a mechanic to get it running if he can.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:17 PM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
See, I think the majority of those who want him *on* the roster also want him to be doing this in the AHL or practice and giving Roli the starter role. The distinction seems to come from people who are using this stretch to push for his being removed from the roster. Many of whom seem to have "had it in for him" for quite a long while.

You speak of being myopic, but everyone on here is reacting to what we see only so far as the TV screen. We don't know what goes on in practice,in the training room, in team meetings or in management meetings. My guess is DP has only so much rope and clearly so far he's not representing himself well on the ice.

But if Snow is giving him, say, 15 starts for example to show he can play at this level, then I can understand wanting to get to that milestone on the earlier side so that they can assess and make whatever adjustments are needed. I don't think there is any question that playing him in the AHL will not prove terribly much - he needs to be in games moving at NHL speed.

The Isles are dropping prices at every home game with last minute deals - you don't think they are aware that they need to start winning to bring people to the games? At some point something will give and they'll need to make a move, or he'll get back his form (which many of us feel better about than you and some others it seems) - but either way a decision will get made.

I trust Snow to be able to make the assessment of what is going to help this team not only now, but also moving forward (cue overspeed jokes).

This was a fringe playoff team before the injuries to Streit and KO. They're not as good as the first 7 games showed and they're not as bad as the last 5.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Go Green View Post
See, I think the majority of those who want him *on* the roster also want him to be doing this in the AHL or practice and giving Roli the starter role. The distinction seems to come from people who are using this stretch to push for his being removed from the roster. Many of whom seem to have "had it in for him" for quite a long while.

You speak of being myopic, but everyone on here is reacting to what we see only so far as the TV screen. We don't know what goes on in practice,in the training room, in team meetings or in management meetings. My guess is DP has only so much rope and clearly so far he's not representing himself well on the ice.

But if Snow is giving him, say, 15 starts for example to show he can play at this level, then I can understand wanting to get to that milestone on the earlier side so that they can assess and make whatever adjustments are needed. I don't think there is any question that playing him in the AHL will not prove terribly much - he needs to be in games moving at NHL speed.

The Isles are dropping prices at every home game with last minute deals - you don't think they are aware that they need to start winning to bring people to the games? At some point something will give and they'll need to make a move, or he'll get back his form (which many of us feel better about than you and some others it seems) - but either way a decision will get made.

I trust Snow to be able to make the assessment of what is going to help this team not only now, but also moving forward (cue overspeed jokes).

This was a fringe playoff team before the injuries to Streit and KO. They're not as good as the first 7 games showed and they're not as bad as the last 5.
both extremes are myopic.

You can't dump him, he has to go to the AHL if he can't prduce and he has to retire, not linger forever or get bought out.

We're stuck until he's good enough again or horrible enough to want to retire.

As for the moves made and moves necessary....I think we're a playoff roster but not a playoff team. We just aren't using our horses as best as we can.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:20 PM
On Edge

Quote:

It wasn't that long ago that DiPietro was a star in this league, DiPietro was always as very good goalie, going back to College, WJCs and throughout his NHL career.

Until he got hurt.

I will agree that saying that DP sucks (for his career) is unfair. I'd say it's more accurate to say he was mediocre over his career with some highlights and probably more lowlights.

To say he was "always a very good goalie throughout his NHL career" is certainly a reach. DP was tremendously overrated in my opinion even at his best. Obviously, some others think so too. It isn't "hating" anyone but rather a fair opinion.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Bones45

in my opinion....

DP was a definitely a star in his own head, a star in some Isles fans heads, and not too many others. He was the all-star for the Isles b/c he was a first pick and there was no other player to send.

At best, he was a good goalie on ****** teams, which probably led to him having worse #'s than he should have.

In any case, his game is so horrible now, he should be pulled from the NHL ice and dealt with to find out if its fixable or its something bigger and he needs to retire..

Cuz what I have seen the past couple of games, its a whole lot more than just some rust.

he is driving a Pinto and his gas tank is leaking...

Old
11-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post

Wow Brilliant point... I thought about that many times in the past. He loved playing the puck so much why doesn't he become a stay at home defensemen?? Ankiel has put up some decent numbers since his pitching psyche went haywire.

I disagree with buying him out just yet.. I am on the side that I am hoping he gets injured and is forced to retire but with all that money he would forfeit he will visit Dr. Nick Riviera from the simpsons to get a clean bill of health.

Closed Thread