HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part I

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2011, 07:55 PM
  #376
Stumpy32
Registered User
 
Stumpy32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
@stumpy32 and insomniac-

How about I just say it this way: If DP and his $4.5M contract weren't on this team this year, who would we have spent it on?

whoever that'd be (and it could be multiple players), i'd wager about 75% of Islander fans would rather have the money spent on them than Rick.

it is a huge shame that any of this has to be said, but that's life. that's reality. rick's hurt and likely will never be the same. our bad luck. but let's move on already.
Valid point. I wasn't thinking about having to spend to get to the cap floor. I'd have to go back and look at the UFA's and neither have the time nor desire to do so. Regardless, whatever names any of us can come up with doesn't guarantee said player would come here. Maybe a younger player would take the extra million but a more established vet is just as likely to sign for less somewhere else with hopes of competing for the cup. Either way until we become competitive again and players actually want to sign here I'm not going to blame DP (or Garth for that matter) for the players we may or may not have.

Stumpy32 is offline  
Old
01-09-2011, 03:25 PM
  #377
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,917
vCash: 500
Reading the past dozen or so posts made me think of this:

Assuming that SnoWang & Co. are doing their best to ice a winning team, how can DP be a part of it?

Look at all the goalie suffling that has to happen b/c of DP.

This is, to me, his make or break season; he has had more than enough time to recover from his hips and knees.

How can the Isles, and how long can the Isles continue to keep the goalie shuffling going?

When does he become a liability because of the shuffling his injuries create?

If DP doesn't play at least 25+ games in what is left in this season, I think he'd be too much of a liability.

He needs to be bought out at the end of this season if he can't play (my magic number of) 25+ games the rest of this season. After all he is the number one goalie of the Isles.


I don't think I'm articulating this well, but, I think you see where I'm going.

Mr Wentworth is offline  
Old
01-09-2011, 03:37 PM
  #378
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y
 
PhysicalGraffiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
I know, cause I don't have a poster of DiPietro hanging above my bed.

It's funny you didn't address any of my other points. Not really a surprise. Keep rolling those eyes though.

DiPietro taking up 4.5 million and not being healthy will affect this team in the future, I'd wager money on it.
Because your points are mediocre at best. I have only been addressing people who attempted semi-intelligent discussions. You lacked the ability.

Funny I don't have any DP posters, nice try though big guy.

I'll wager against you it won't matter.

Stumpy made some very good points, read what he said champ.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline  
Old
01-09-2011, 03:47 PM
  #379
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,801
vCash: 500
How has Wang's ability to spend on buyouts and injured phenoms affected the manpower on ice? Think we'd have better players or at least have spent more on our roster (and help for the kids) if we HAD TO spend on top six forewards?

So Doesn't Play's $4.5M on the books WILL affect our roster since the money we spend is so tightly bound to the cap floor.

Or is this concept evading you?

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
01-09-2011, 03:49 PM
  #380
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Reading the past dozen or so posts made me think of this:

Assuming that SnoWang & Co. are doing their best to ice a winning team, how can DP be a part of it?

Look at all the goalie suffling that has to happen b/c of DP.

This is, to me, his make or break season; he has had more than enough time to recover from his hips and knees.

How can the Isles, and how long can the Isles continue to keep the goalie shuffling going?

When does he become a liability because of the shuffling his injuries create?

If DP doesn't play at least 25+ games in what is left in this season, I think he'd be too much of a liability.

He needs to be bought out at the end of this season if he can't play (my magic number of) 25+ games the rest of this season. After all he is the number one goalie of the Isles.


I don't think I'm articulating this well, but, I think you see where I'm going.
I agree entirely, but I also find it likely that management, for better or worse will give DP one more season unless he's done for good.....and then they'd likely still try.

We have a platoon of young goalies that all seem so much more durable. Watching highlights of the Isles/Avs game I noticed I didn't p*** my pants when Jurcina ran into Poulin.

The biggest knock on our goaltending situation is that after DP, Lawson's the 'vet.' I'd expect to see DP/Lawson as our tag team, unless something better comes along.....just keep giving Poulin the lion's share of minutes where it's beneficial - likely Bridgeport.

It's a shame to say this since DP's such a serious competitor, but I can't say I wouldn't mind Lawson backing up a goalie who's not going to alternate between 'injured' and '15 games before getting his rhythm back' as Poulin gets shuffled back and forth from the Bridge to the Island. Ironically, this is the best thing for everyone involved, all the way down to Koskinen & Nilsson.

I'm a DP supporter (as much as I may sound otherwise), but if the team goes through another losing streak where DP's practically handed the starting role while the best chances we have are with our backup, something's gotta give.

88th Precinct is offline  
Old
01-09-2011, 03:55 PM
  #381
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
if the team goes through another losing streak where DP's practically handed the starting role while the best chances we have are with our backup, something's gotta give.
Bingo.

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
01-09-2011, 04:13 PM
  #382
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 500
.....and they couldn't sign Leighton without giving the impression that Lawson & Poulin were being held back, as DP's salary commands #1 goalie status.

DP's contract bothers me a hell of a lot more than DP himself. The guy gives his all....and as much as I liked seeing #39 on the ice and knowing when healthy that we've got an All-Star netminder, if DP hung 'em up 4 days ago and they signed Leighton, I'd at least feel comfortable knowing that they cut their losses and were moving forward having dealt with both bad cases of immovable overhead in Yashin & DP. (Can't believe I saw a Yashin jersey in the stands in that Isles/Avs game.....LOL)

In a perfect universe, he'd come to the decision to retire himself and stay actively involved with the team in some non-hindering capacity (assistant GM, anyone? .) The more this goes on, the more I have trouble thinking of any other high-profile goalie who had this kind of injury trouble early in a career and managed to maintain anything near their original pace.

Hell, at least DP would be a better commentator than Butch.

88th Precinct is offline  
Old
01-09-2011, 05:43 PM
  #383
Disgraced Cosmonaut
Registered User
 
Disgraced Cosmonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy32 View Post
Valid point. I wasn't thinking about having to spend to get to the cap floor. I'd have to go back and look at the UFA's and neither have the time nor desire to do so. Regardless, whatever names any of us can come up with doesn't guarantee said player would come here. Maybe a younger player would take the extra million but a more established vet is just as likely to sign for less somewhere else with hopes of competing for the cup. Either way until we become competitive again and players actually want to sign here I'm not going to blame DP (or Garth for that matter) for the players we may or may not have.
re: bold- me neither, yet i know that the money would've had to have been spent on someone. at that point, we'd be switching the argument to: what did Garth do with the $ he spent. we'd be onto a discussion about how well he was doing with the little leash he'd be given. as it is, we've got people taking shots at Garth Snow on this board and the guy has been working on a sub-league minimum budget due to the DP and Yashin contracts. i'm not apologizing for Snow's performance because he definitely is as abrasive a GM as he was a netminder, but i can't thinik that anyone on these boards can accurately assess his work. the guy is forced to field a team of children.... who, at the end of the day, i'll root for because i'm blue and orange.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline  
Old
01-09-2011, 05:51 PM
  #384
Disgraced Cosmonaut
Registered User
 
Disgraced Cosmonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
.....and they couldn't sign Leighton without giving the impression that Lawson & Poulin were being held back, as DP's salary commands #1 goalie status.

DP's contract bothers me a hell of a lot more than DP himself. The guy gives his all....and as much as I liked seeing #39 on the ice and knowing when healthy that we've got an All-Star netminder, if DP hung 'em up 4 days ago and they signed Leighton, I'd at least feel comfortable knowing that they cut their losses and were moving forward having dealt with both bad cases of immovable overhead in Yashin & DP. (Can't believe I saw a Yashin jersey in the stands in that Isles/Avs game.....LOL)

In a perfect universe, he'd come to the decision to retire himself and stay actively involved with the team in some non-hindering capacity (assistant GM, anyone? .) The more this goes on, the more I have trouble thinking of any other high-profile goalie who had this kind of injury trouble early in a career and managed to maintain anything near their original pace.
Hell, at least DP would be a better commentator than Butch.
well said. i feel pretty much like this. i don't think leighton's the solution, and i don't even mind that ricky was playing this year- i just think he should've started out in the minors. had he made it through a quarter (or a half, preferably) a season down there, i'd bring him up. if he failed to stay healthy in the minors, i'd be able to evaluate him w/o messing with the big team. oh well. when he's on the ice, i know he'll be trying and i'll be pulling for him. i just don't have faith in him because of your second to last sentence, bolded.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline  
Old
01-10-2011, 10:44 AM
  #385
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
well said. i feel pretty much like this. i don't think leighton's the solution, and i don't even mind that ricky was playing this year- i just think he should've started out in the minors. had he made it through a quarter (or a half, preferably) a season down there, i'd bring him up. if he failed to stay healthy in the minors, i'd be able to evaluate him w/o messing with the big team. oh well. when he's on the ice, i know he'll be trying and i'll be pulling for him. i just don't have faith in him because of your second to last sentence, bolded.
No kidding. Whenever he came straight on to the starting roster (especially after all that silly split-sched crap,) I thought "what, no Bridgeport?" There's a big difference between 1-15-1 and 8-3-1.....it works like pistons going off-time in a car, not enough vets to help stabilize a young roster when the #1 goalie takes a quarter of a season to shake the rust off (pun intended,) their confidence was so shot that Rollie playing like Hasek on speed couldn't even bail them out! Look at the difference with confidence + a different goalie.

Leighton follows the odd logic in the NYI waiver wire strategy: stop gaps with some kind of redeeming value to fill in until the kids find their legs. No total solution, but in a different world, if DP retired at the same time as the NYI picked up Leighton, I'd feel 45% bad as hell for Ricky and 55% mixed closure and confidence that we had a 1-A with a recent Stanley Cup Final appearance, a seemingly capable/jury-still-slightly-out-on-you 1-B in Lawson so neither gets overloaded, all while Poulin the Hopeful Successor kills it in the 'A' this season & next, to be gradually molded for 1-A duty with Koskinen half a step behind. Instead, our current assumed 1-2 punch doesn't even have a dozen games of NHL experience between them. Leighton's not much better, but this roster could use the additional experience offered by another option, if not the greater stability.

88th Precinct is offline  
Old
01-19-2011, 12:46 PM
  #386
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,932
vCash: 234
Dipietro not on the ice today according to newsday he is "sick"... IR in the future?

So Ricky I don't know if you follow baseball or anything but did you see that the Royals have this pitcher Gil Meche who got injured and still had a year and $12 million owed to him and instead of struggling thru another surgery and all that he retired forfeited the money to help the team.... So uhhh yeah you get the point.

In all seriousness I hope its just a cold or something don't want poulin to be target practice for the caps.

Bunk Moreland is offline  
Old
01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
  #387
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
Dipietro not on the ice today according to newsday he is "sick"... IR in the future?

So Ricky I don't know if you follow baseball or anything but did you see that the Royals have this pitcher Gil Meche who got injured and still had a year and $12 million owed to him and instead of struggling thru another surgery and all that he retired forfeited the money to help the team.... So uhhh yeah you get the point.

In all seriousness I hope its just a cold or something don't want poulin to be target practice for the caps.

He has an undisclosed upper shoulder breakage. No breaks, he skid into a structural support beam.


OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
01-20-2011, 02:35 AM
  #388
Bones45
Registered User
 
Bones45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Low Taxville
Posts: 4,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
I can only shake my head at this. Yeah, send DP away because his injuries and desire to do what he loves are both his fault and detrimental characteristics of a goalie.




Hope you're wrong. Really do. I know you don't.


Really upsetting news.

I don't know what else to say.

I just hope people go easy on the guy. He's a competitor and wants to play, you can't hate him for wanting to do what he loves and is paid to do. You guys act like it would be easy to just quit and retire or something.

Give the guy a ****ing break. He loves what he does, and a bunch of fans with no knowledge of himself nor the current state of the Islanders need to tell him what is the right move.

I'll root for him and wear his jersey until he hangs up the skates, and still then I will proudly wear his jersey.

You can't fault him for his injuries, it's not like he asked for them or wants this to happen. He's a fierce competitor and really wants to play. Why would he retire? He isn't holding the whole team back by any means. That's just the detractors opinion.

I hope to see him suiting back up in a few games to finish out the year.

Get well soon DP.
You sound like more of a DP fan than an Isles fan. At one point you could be both.

At this point you are either one or the other, not both. DP has been holding the team back for years due to his injuries. no team will ever be defensively solid without a good steady consistent goalie. Even when healthy, DP was far from consistent.

If you truely believe he can be the goalie he was before he injuries, you need to take off your rose-colored glasses.

Bones45 is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 06:58 AM
  #389
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
I thought they gave him 'fluids'?

According to Islanders Twitter DP will not be travelling to the Buf.

http://twitter.com/#!/NYIslanders/st...85841604349952

IslesArchieFan is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 10:33 AM
  #390
beach
Things are looking
 
beach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: here
Country: United States
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesArchieFan View Post
According to Islanders Twitter DP will not be travelling to the Buf.

http://twitter.com/#!/NYIslanders/st...85841604349952
I thought he played like he was intoxicated on Nyquil last night.

beach is offline  
Old
01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
  #391
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,932
vCash: 234
Strang says he was given IV immediately after game so it was pretty much a given he wasn't going to start the second of a back to back. We got 3 goalies on the roster anyway so why travel when your sick?

Bunk Moreland is offline  
Old
01-23-2011, 06:12 AM
  #392
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y
 
PhysicalGraffiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
So we have DP.
The Bruins have Marc Savard. Looks like he got hurt again, head injury.

Wonder if the Bruins fans hate him with such fervor like many Isles fans hate DP. Probably not because he doesn't have the long contract. Or maybe they have more logical fans. That's saying something for Boston fans.


Also for those not too keen on medical situations, as I read earlier with some Isles "fans."
Believe it or not, the flu and hip/knee injuries are completely unrelated! Imagine that.

PhysicalGraffiti is offline  
Old
01-23-2011, 07:31 AM
  #393
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,722
vCash: 500
DiPietro's 4-1 with save % of .917/.930/.929/.974/.938 in his last 5 starts.

He's not retiring anytime soon and the isles aren't buying him out.They're gonna continue to play him and try not to overwork him.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8468481

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
01-23-2011, 08:40 AM
  #394
beach
Things are looking
 
beach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: here
Country: United States
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
So we have DP.
The Bruins have Marc Savard. Looks like he got hurt again, head injury.

Wonder if the Bruins fans hate him with such fervor like many Isles fans hate DP. Probably not because he doesn't have the long contract. Or maybe they have more logical fans. That's saying something for Boston fans.


Also for those not too keen on medical situations, as I read earlier with some Isles "fans."
Believe it or not, the flu and hip/knee injuries are completely unrelated! Imagine that.
Is it the flu or the "flu"?

beach is offline  
Old
01-23-2011, 02:09 PM
  #395
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,596
vCash: 1130
If Dipietro wasnt made of glass.. none of this Nabakov drama would of been necessary.

Dutch Frost is offline  
Old
01-23-2011, 02:19 PM
  #396
malPHONEY
Registered User
 
malPHONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
If Dipietro wasnt made of glass.. none of this Nabakov drama would of been necessary.
That's groundbreaking analysis, my friend.

malPHONEY is offline  
Old
01-23-2011, 02:22 PM
  #397
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
So we have DP.
The Bruins have Marc Savard. Looks like he got hurt again, head injury.

Wonder if the Bruins fans hate him with such fervor like many Isles fans hate DP. Probably not because he doesn't have the long contract. Or maybe they have more logical fans. That's saying something for Boston fans.


Also for those not too keen on medical situations, as I read earlier with some Isles "fans."
Believe it or not, the flu and hip/knee injuries are completely unrelated! Imagine that.
Dan Brown is currently in works with Tom Hanks to film an epic about DiPietro and the role of the Catholic heirarchy in his besmirchment.

Poor Rick....some fans want to win a little too much for their own good. Putting the team above the hope of generations to come.....I just look foreward to the cute French chick in the movie who is a descendant of Rick's pop.

"We are witnessing the greatest cover-up in NHL history!" (and throw in a "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" for good measure!)

OlTimeHockey is offline  
Old
01-23-2011, 02:24 PM
  #398
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,596
vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
That's groundbreaking analysis, my friend.
Glad I made you see the light

Dutch Frost is offline  
Old
01-23-2011, 04:48 PM
  #399
DoomMF
Registered User
 
DoomMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I live NYC
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
DiPietro's 4-1 with save % of .917/.930/.929/.974/.938 in his last 5 starts.

He's not retiring anytime soon and the isles aren't buying him out.They're gonna continue to play him and try not to overwork him.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8468481
He's like every other back-up goalie, capable of a hot streak, but mostly blah as a starter.

DoomMF is offline  
Old
01-27-2011, 06:57 PM
  #400
Garths Wang
Registered User
 
Garths Wang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
I didnt realize we signed....

hey guys, long long time reader, first time poster...I couldnt help myself, did anybody else notice that DP looks exactly like Wade Dubielewicz in those gross blue pads...unfortunately i wish we had dubie bc DP has looked like garbage. Love the guy and wish him the best, but had some flashbacks of the dubie lightSabre during last nights game.

Garths Wang is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.