HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

vCash: 500
With respect to the B'port stuff...
I think The Rick has to clear wavers before going on down.

Please not the presence of "I think" in the previous sentence.

Old
10-31-2010, 06:51 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
With respect to the B'port stuff...
I think The Rick has to clear wavers before going on down.

Please not the presence of "I think" in the previous sentence.
And...

Scenario one: Rick Dipietro clears waivers. He spends the season in Bridgeport. If everything goes well he reclaims the starting goalie position for 2011-2012. Roloson's contract is up, anyway.

Scenario two: Rick Dipietro is claimed on waivers. The Islanders are absolved of his contract and some other team is stuck with it.

Either way, the Islanders win. Even if you are some idealistic, delusional Islanders fan who sees a 29 year old signed for 11 more years who is coming off of 2 years worth of significant knee, hip, and head injuries as an attractive commodity, what team would claim him on waivers? Can you think of any team that has any need for him? I literally can not see a single team claiming him.

Old
10-31-2010, 07:30 PM
JKP

The guy needs to get his NHL timing back. He won't get that in the A. Like it or not, he needs to play to recapture his form. Let's hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Old
10-31-2010, 07:35 PM
MeanMisterMustard

He can't get his "NHL timing" back because he's injured beyond repair. GIVE IT UP ALREADY and just move on. How can you not see what's happening here? If DiPietro wants to make himself useful on Saturday, he should put a blocker in Briere's mouth.

Old
10-31-2010, 07:41 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
The guy needs to get his NHL timing back. He won't get that in the A. Like it or not, he needs to play to recapture his form. Let's hope it happens sooner rather than later.
Once again, sacrificing a season for a single player in OCTOBER is an embarrassment to the NHL.

Old
10-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Honestly, I think he would be fine getting his timing back in the AHL. Is that not how goalie prospects are prepared for the NHL?

I don't think there would be that big of a difference whether he is doing that in NHL or AHL, he just needs to be playing, and I would prefer he do it in Bridgeport so it isn't at the expense of the team.

We need to see if he can even play well at the AHL level.

Old
10-31-2010, 08:39 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Once again, sacrificing a season for a single player in OCTOBER is an embarrassment to the NHL.
This sums it up.

Old
10-31-2010, 10:14 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
You obviously know very little about the NYI rebuild. Their entire strategy is short term failure for long term gain.

Cut through the bad PR and look at the obvious.

Cap floor with help from injuries and buyouts. Teenagers in leading roles. Hasbeens and neverweres playing big minutes. Lack of size, speed, talent, of nhl caliber, in their prime, for many years.

Dipietro, as bad as he has been at times, is HARDLY "throwing away games" - seriously!

Dipietro, even at his worst, is far better than danis, macdonald, and many other dmen, forwards of this year and seasons past.

Just reality.

Old
10-31-2010, 10:19 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
You obviously know very little about the NYI rebuild. Their entire strategy is short term failure for long term gain.

Cut through the bad PR and look at the obvious.

Cap floor with help from injuries and buyouts. Teenagers in leading roles. Hasbeens and neverweres playing big minutes. Lack of size, speed, talent, of nhl caliber, in their prime, for many years.

Dipietro, as bad as he has been at times, is HARDLY "throwing away games" - seriously!

Dipietro, even at his worst, is far better than danis, macdonald, and many other dmen, forwards of this year and seasons past.

Just reality.
Almost everything you said is irrelevant. The Islanders are player hasbeens and neverweres because they don't want to give contracts out to other players. The teenagers are getting top minutes because they are the superior players, not simply because they were young. If that were the case, then Dehaan would have stayed with the team.

What about the Islanders would change structurally, financially, etc. if they sent Dipietro down and gave Roloson the starts? What harm would be done long term?

Old
11-01-2010, 12:25 AM
OlTimeHockey

We throw the season away to give DP a chance to rehab at NHL level pace IF HE CAN.

IF he doesn't go down for THIS SEASON, we lose out on the postseason, sacrificethe years of Tavares, Roloson, Okposo, Bailey, Mouson and others but we see if DP is better than a 3.5GAA backup (Danis had better stats, as did Joey Mac and Dubie).

Now our own players are disenfranchised and a year closer to UFA status.....but what of July 1st?

WHO WILL SIGN ON TO PLAY FOR A TEAM NOT OUT TO WIN?

This is idiocy. You root for the jersey on the front or the letters on the back. I see some have made that choice clearly, so good luck and wish the rest of us luck with a good team one day while the goalie of the future rehabs and hopefully regains our trust. Meanwhile.....I wonder who is looking at the calendar to escape from NY?

This team (I mean ORGANIZATION, not the poor saps who are stuck rehabbing the prodigal son) was supposed to want to win one of these years....I guess not. I am ALL for Rick getting a chance, but winning should always come first. The AHL is where you get your game back....and then you work on timing up here.

Disagree if you want to lose some more years of good hockey. Maybe one player trumps an entire roster still?

Old
11-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
We throw the season away to give DP a chance to rehab at NHL level pace IF HE CAN.

IF he doesn't go down for THIS SEASON, we lose out on the postseason, sacrificethe years of Tavares, Roloson, Okposo, Bailey, Mouson and others but we see if DP is better than a 3.5GAA backup (Danis had better stats, as did Joey Mac and Dubie).

Now our own players are disenfranchised and a year closer to UFA status.....but what of July 1st?

WHO WILL SIGN ON TO PLAY FOR A TEAM NOT OUT TO WIN?

This is idiocy. You root for the jersey on the front or the letters on the back. I see some have made that choice clearly, so good luck and wish the rest of us luck with a good team one day while the goalie of the future rehabs and hopefully regains our trust. Meanwhile.....I wonder who is looking at the calendar to escape from NY?

This team (I mean ORGANIZATION, not the poor saps who are stuck rehabbing the prodigal son) was supposed to want to win one of these years....I guess not. I am ALL for Rick getting a chance, but winning should always come first. The AHL is where you get your game back....and then you work on timing up here.

Disagree if you want to lose some more years of good hockey. Maybe one player trumps an entire roster still?
It is just a matter of time until the "core" players sign elsewhere. This team is on the fast track to nowhere.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:33 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that is not going to happen? The guy is done.

Old
11-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

Just reality.
Not sure I agree... He's playing like Danis on a bad day right now - giving up as many rebounds with slower recovery from going down.

There's another point, which is, if the Islanders are ever able to come to an injury settlement where Rick retires, they need to have a good-faith relationship with him. Sending him to the minors could be a long-term disaster.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
11-01-2010, 06:26 AM
msv957

Ok I am confused.. Let's say that DP does go down to Bridgeport and by some act of god he regains his form/quickness/reflexes/confidence that made him a top 10 goalie in the NHL... How would the Isles be able to bring him back to the NHL during the season? Wouldn't he have to go through waivers getting back into the NHL? I would think if he without a doubt regained his form and looks to be healthy that some team would grab him..

Perhaps he just goes down to Bridgeport for the whole season and see what he has for a full season instead of hurting the Isles this season. Then if he proves he is back, he can make the Isles roster next year.

Old
11-01-2010, 08:03 AM
IrishSteveZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Ok I am confused.. Let's say that DP does go down to Bridgeport and by some act of god he regains his form/quickness/reflexes/confidence that made him a top 10 goalie in the NHL... How would the Isles be able to bring him back to the NHL during the season? Wouldn't he have to go through waivers getting back into the NHL? I would think if he without a doubt regained his form and looks to be healthy that some team would grab him.
Along with the contract he has? NOT A CHANCE. We could send him up, and down as many times as we were allowed and no one is going to touch DP's contract no matter how good he's playing.

Old
11-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Brunomics

I'm more concerned about him gaining back the right mentality to play the game at the NHL level. He seems to panic a lot on certain shots or if a play doesn't develop like he expects it too. Case in point the first flyer goal when he's flopping around. I hope he gets that back but I'm not sure how besides time but that's a big gamble. I really feel he fell off the NHL learning curve for a goalie and now the game passed him by in that aspect. He'll play better as the season goes on but how much of the mental memory he gains back will determine how far he gets back to playing like old DP.

If he gets that back he'll be decent again. Physically his lateral movement drives me crazy because honestly it sucks right now and I'm not sure how he'll get that back with surgically repaired hips. He really looks like a plodding old man in the crease at the moment as well.

I hope he figures it out I really do because I'm a big DP fan but I don't see it happening. Plus the team seems to just have no confidence when he's in the net as well, DP has to gain the trust of his team back and hopefully it works out for him.

Old
11-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Ok I am confused.. Let's say that DP does go down to Bridgeport and by some act of god he regains his form/quickness/reflexes/confidence that made him a top 10 goalie in the NHL... How would the Isles be able to bring him back to the NHL during the season? Wouldn't he have to go through waivers getting back into the NHL? I would think if he without a doubt regained his form and looks to be healthy that some team would grab him..

Perhaps he just goes down to Bridgeport for the whole season and see what he has for a full season instead of hurting the Isles this season. Then if he proves he is back, he can make the Isles roster next year.
He could have 20 straight shutouts at Bridgeport, and still nobody would claim him.

And if someone wants to claim him then good for us, we get to dump an albatross for free.

Old
11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Almost everything you said is irrelevant. The Islanders are player hasbeens and neverweres because they don't want to give contracts out to other players. The teenagers are getting top minutes because they are the superior players, not simply because they were young. If that were the case, then Dehaan would have stayed with the team.

What about the Islanders would change structurally, financially, etc. if they sent Dipietro down and gave Roloson the starts? What harm would be done long term?
bolded part - that's a sham. superior to what? Hilbert/Sim/Weight/Konopka/Parenteau/Grabner/Schremp - would these guys have gotten an NHL contract if not here? Would other players get significant minutes on a good team.

Islanders have not invested in an NHL roster. Their actual payroll for on-ice players, healthy players especially, is laughable. Far beyond the cap floor.

In terms of what sending DP to Bridgeport would do to the team - nothing. Roloson would get more starts, Lawson would likely back him up. Koskinen/Poulin would find work somewhere. DiPietro goes to Bridgeport and plays some AHL games to get his AHL timing back. The belief is that playing in the AHL will not help him play in the NHL.

Again. He's healthy.

Is he struggling in the NHL because he missed two years?
Is he just in a slump like Comeau?
Is he just a bad goalie now? Did he lose too much physically to ever play at the NHL level, the way he used to?

Is anyone on this board sure about any of this? Are we (fans) or are we expecting the organization to determine with finality what is to be done about the goalie with the lifetime contract?

I suggest it's worth playing him more than six games to find out - unless some of us are already certain based on this sample size.

It may be best for the team to dress the 41 year old on the last year of his contract. I won't disagree with that. But then I'd also prefer better NHL roster players as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you are suggesting although he's healthy, he hasn't proven to be a better goalie this year so he shouldn't play ahead of the better goalie, regardless of contract.

On this we completely agree.

Where we can agree to disagree is on what to do about it.

I believe the organization owes it to themselves $$$$$$ to see what they have in DiPietro. Given the financial commitment over the long term, it makes zero sense to not see where things stand.

To me, that's more than six starts.

I don't know what the long term solution is but I will say this. The next time the Islanders make the playoffs, it's unlikely Roloson is still in the NHL. The team and/or DiPietro may determine he's no longer able to play at the level required to help the team win, then it'll be a tough decision by him and management. That one will get uncomfortable for all parties.

I hope for all Islander fans that he stays healthy and regains his form. The team needs that.

Old
11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Bones45

lets take a poll. Which is your fav?

1. Rebound Rick
2. Red-light Rick
3. Rehabbed Rick
4. Retired Rick

All are good.. hard to pick my favorite.

Old
11-01-2010, 11:11 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
lets take a poll. Which is your fav?

1. Rebound Rick
2. Red-light Rick
3. Rehabbed Rick
4. Retired Rick

All are good.. hard to pick my favorite.
5. The Pink Plopper

Old
11-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Islander Prophet

Rick definately has a great potential, but I'm just concerned about the fact that he might be too old to develop into what he ''could'' have become..

But maybe, there's still a chance, so I say we give him another year or two and then make the final decision

Old
11-01-2010, 01:25 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilio View Post
Rick definately has a great potential, but I'm just concerned about the fact that he might be too old to develop into what he ''could'' have become..

But maybe, there's still a chance, so I say we give him another year or two and then make the final decision
He's been awful on top of looking hobbled. If he never gets his mental game going, the body healing or not won't matter. I say give him time only because he's wandering less. If he's this bad and starts wandering more, tell the rancher our back to load his rifle and put this horse out of its misery.

Old
11-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Islander Prophet

yes he doesn't play too good, but he's just come off a long injury so that's why I say we give him a year or two and see if he meets that potential. If he doesn't, then you can consider some other options

Old
11-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Bones45

All joking aside ( and this is tough b/c this thread is a joke.. DP is done.. lets be honest) but I think Rick will be retiring soon.

Clearly my personal opinion... honestly.. I havent seen too much of him this year, so if you think Im wrong, please.. let me know..

but when I have seen him play -- he appears to be..how should I say this..

OFF.

not that he is in pain.. (although he might be).. he doesnt look right.. he had to change alot of how he played to accomodate still being able to play. He looks rigid and uncomfortable.. Not in control of himself..(nor his rebounds).

Just doesnt look at all like the old goalie we knew.

I GOT IT!!

Remember the scene in Youngblood where he comes to practice the day after getting fed all those shots of tequila? He was draggin ass and then the coach lays into him?

DP is playing the way Youngblood is draggin ass in that scene due to a hangover.

There.. I feel much better now..

THAT is what I was trying to say.

The bad part is that Youngbloods hangover wears off by the next day. Not so much with DP.

Old
11-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
All joking aside ( and this is tough b/c this thread is a joke.. DP is done.. lets be honest) but I think Rick will be retiring soon.

Clearly my personal opinion... honestly.. I havent seen too much of him this year, so if you think Im wrong, please.. let me know..

but when I have seen him play -- he appears to be..how should I say this..

OFF.

not that he is in pain.. (although he might be).. he doesnt look right.. he had to change alot of how he played to accomodate still being able to play. He looks rigid and uncomfortable.. Not in control of himself..(nor his rebounds).

Just doesnt look at all like the old goalie we knew.

I GOT IT!!

Remember the scene in Youngblood where he comes to practice the day after getting fed all those shots of tequila? He was draggin ass and then the coach lays into him?

DP is playing the way Youngblood is draggin ass in that scene due to a hangover.

There.. I feel much better now..

THAT is what I was trying to say.

The bad part is that Youngbloods hangover wears off by the next day. Not so much with DP.

DP needs to go have tea with Ms. McGil!

But seriously like I said before I think it's not only his body but his mind. You play goal for 25 years or however long he played he gets used to doing certain things or him reacting certain ways and he's panicing out there and flopping around, letting up juicy rebounds ect. He has no idea how to control himself in net anymore

Closed Thread