HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Steve55

vCash: 500
If he keeps up his recent terrible play, he should come to senses and just retire.

Old
11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Aucoin3

If I were Charles Wang I would call Gary Bettman and agree to use Marcel Cousineau and Tom Draper as my goalies for an entire season if they allowed us to buy out DiPietro without taking the 22 YEAR CAP HIT!

Old
11-03-2010, 07:51 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
You guys are missing the big picture. He's one game closer to recovery! Great day for the Islanders!
don't kick a guy/team/franchise when they're down. wait another 5 years, then see!

Old
11-03-2010, 07:52 PM
scott99

He's not getting much support, but he really is terrible. I think we send him down and let him stink in Bridgeport, Koskinen and Poulin are playing well for Bridgeport, time to bring one of them up along with Hamonic. We need Hamonic's toughness, we don't have that on the blueline, and need it desperately.

Old
11-03-2010, 07:55 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
No one can force him to retire. He can suck as long as he wants. Isles will be the ones who have to decide to waive/demote him or buy him out.
Not sure DiPietro will want to play if he can't play at this level.

Not sure Isles will continue to play him in the NHL if he doesn't get better.

Not sure DiPietro has enough self-worth to not retire, play in the AHL, or be a perennial back-up if he doesn't retire (assuming he won't get better).

Not sure DiPietro would forego all that money and retire because he can't compete.

I expect him to get better though

Old
11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
lost35*

if he retires does he still get his whole contract

Old
11-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Keeping Karlsson
Since 2013

I'm just coming into this thread now, never really come over to this board, so you may have already discussed..

But can I ask why DiPietro never gets pulled? Is it because the coach is punishing him? Or sending a message to the players? When your guy has been brutal all year and he gives up 5 goals midway through the 2nd, it's unlikely that even one of the other 29 coaches in the league doesn't make a change. This happened last week, too..

I'm still hoping he can pick it up, somehow.. thought he was a late steal in my fantasy draft, but he's proving me very wrong

Old
11-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthensth View Post
I'm just coming into this thread now, never really come over to this board, so you may have already discussed..

But can I ask why DiPietro never gets pulled? Is it because the coach is punishing him? Or sending a message to the players? When your guy has been brutal all year and he gives up 5 goals midway through the 2nd, it's unlikely that even one of the other 29 coaches in the league doesn't make a change. This happened last week, too..

I'm still hoping he can pick it up, somehow.. thought he was a late steal in my fantasy draft, but he's proving me very wrong
It could be that Wang is forcing Gordon to play him so much, and Gordon is sending him a message back. That DP is not the answer.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Sideshow Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
It could be that Wang is forcing Gordon to play him so much, and Gordon is sending him a message back. That DP is not the answer.
Or that he figured the game is already out of reach and that DP needs more playing time to try to shake off the layers of rust, and maybe develop some better judgement with regard to his playing of the puck, giveaways and being out of position.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
Or that he figured the game is already out of reach and that DP needs more playing time to try to shake off the layers of rust, and maybe develop some better judgement with regard to his playing of the puck, giveaways and being out of position.
I doubt it, because leaving him in there to give up goal after goal when you see he is struggling will only hurt his confidence. DP never learns and I bet Gordon is sick of it, and sick of DP being Wang's boy.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Injuries have really taken a toll on this guy. Shame.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Islanderfan72

Retire...Get the contract off the books...

Please, someone, anyone create a time machine and go back in time and stop Milbury from every being born. We would have 2 more cups in Islander history then. Why would anyone ever think DP would be better than Luongo.

Just out of curiosity, what would the buyout look for him.

according to cap geek the islanders would spread 30 million over 20 years (OMG) 1.5 million a year for 20 years.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Brunomics

You think that he would at least show maybe the tiniest of improvements since the start of the season but he's just god awful, send him down on a conditioning stint to the echl and if he plays well then put him in another conditioning stint in the ahl and so on. Do whatever you have to do to get him games not with the Islanders because he just kills this team. They go into the games knowing that they will lose unless they score 5-6 goals.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Keeping Karlsson
Since 2013

Thanks for the answers.. never considered Wang's influence, though that would be pretty wild if that's how coach and owner are communicating. DiPietro doesn't deserve to be hung out to dry like this, I don't think.

It's got to be killing the guy to never get a mercy pull.. his confidence must be non-existent by now. Who knows what it will take, but hopefully something will get him going again.. maybe not too soon, but eventually.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
You think that he would at least show maybe the tiniest of improvements since the start of the season but he's just god awful, send him down on a conditioning stint to the echl and if he plays well then put him in another conditioning stint in the ahl and so on. Do whatever you have to do to get him games not with the Islanders because he just kills this team. They go into the games knowing that they will lose unless they score 5-6 goals.
4.22 GAA
.854%

Old
11-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Gert B Frobe

I haven't read the whole thread but personally - I think he sucks.

Never was a fan of his anyway - attitude beyond his ability. At some point it has to be about winning games for the Islanders and not about saving face for handing out that horrendous contract.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:35 PM
13th Floor

If he doesn't give up that garbage first goal tonight, this game is completely different. Took the wind right out of our sails. With typical goalies, when we say garbage goal, we are talking about a goal that was a bad rebound or maybe a shot they just should have stopped. No.. this is a DiPietro garbage goal. Where he gives it away behind the net, falls before he gets to the front of the net, and somebody shoots it into an empty net.

I loved the guy, I really did. I still do. But he is ********** TERRIBLE right now and for the foreseeable future.

If I were Roloson, I would feel like I was sitting in a cage watching a monkey bang on my keyboard trying to do my job.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:06 AM
blitzkriegs

Gordon is being forced to play DP. Bottom line. He has to tow the company line on Wang's "investment."

Gordon is in the final season of his contract. In year 1, he walked into the most bizarre goalie drama in NHL history except the 24 hours of Roy in Montreal. The rest of the season he had the pleasure of NHL fodder. In year 2, NYI actually had respectable goaltenders, but lacked any true talent in front of them to make a difference. In year 3, well, the DP Rodeo returns.

Gordon's tenure has been mired in the DP show - he has yet to BENEFIT from DP, but is saddled with him while the owner is requiring him to play him. The coach does not challenge the owner and his 15 year noose. Sorry folks.

If NYI let Gordon walk, another franchise will gladly scoop him up as their head coach because they KNOW exactly the situation he has endured during his coaching tenure.

DP is terrible right now and the players lack any confidence they can win with him. A recipe for disaster...

Old
11-04-2010, 12:33 AM
hgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
Why would anyone ever think DP would be better than Luongo.
We'll never know because of the injuries, which is why it's unfair to make the comparison.

Old
11-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Fantom

I think he needs to go play like 5-10 games in Bport.
If he plays wall bring him back IMO.

However i think wang is pulling strings here =x

Old
11-04-2010, 02:00 AM
PhysicalGraffiti
Hates Stevie Y

This makes me feel terrible seeing him do so poorly.

I love the guy and refuse to give up on him. Everyone else can go ahead and whine and complain til they are blue in the face.

Bottom line. He hasn't played a full season in a few years. He might still be getting back into full playing shape.

I refuse to give up. I've met the guy several times and he's one of the nicest pro athletes I've ever met. I can't help but root for him.

I fully believe he will improve this season, and I haven't and won't give up hope.

Old
11-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

I really think the best thing for all parties would be to send him to Bridgeport for the year. Let him relearn how to be a professional hockey player and see if he can get his game back. Then if he rediscovers himself you let him fight for his job in the NHL. Saves NYI this god awful hiccup they're going through right now, gives DP the chance to play a lot of games and get his game back, and you only have to expose him to waivers once. I've never seen a single player be such a determent to a team before like DP has to the Isles in the last two years. He killed the momentum this team had with Roloson last year and absolutely smashed the momentum the team had to open the season. Management really needs to do the right thing here and put him in the AHL.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:24 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice on Ice View Post
So will we conveniently ignore him being the reason the Isles won the game in TB?

How 'bout giving the guy more than 4 games to fully return from what was essentially a two-year absence? He shook off the general rust after like 2 games, and something tells me he's smart enough to work out the rest of the kinks as he goes along.
Doesn't seem like it does it? He is getting worse.

Old
11-04-2010, 03:50 AM
OlTimeHockey

Odd....when I see all these posts agreeing with me after years of being banned or whatnot, I really, REALLY hope people are kind to Rick, as I think this is it for him and I feel for him. Two scopes so no cartilage, can't play HIS game, lacks the talent to play stand up.....he's going to have to latch onto a TV job and retire or become a demonized character by hanging on to collect a paycheck.

his technique/habits led to this, and now he's stuck in a corner unable to get out.

Wang...I have no sympathy. Hope he can toil in his stupidity for the rest of his natural life the maroon. But Rick I hope does not get flamed except for his wandering......that's on him. I think he's done.

Old
11-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
I really think the best thing for all parties would be to send him to Bridgeport for the year. Let him relearn how to be a professional hockey player and see if he can get his game back. Then if he rediscovers himself you let him fight for his job in the NHL. Saves NYI this god awful hiccup they're going through right now, gives DP the chance to play a lot of games and get his game back, and you only have to expose him to waivers once. I've never seen a single player be such a determent to a team before like DP has to the Isles in the last two years. He killed the momentum this team had with Roloson last year and absolutely smashed the momentum the team had to open the season. Management really needs to do the right thing here and put him in the AHL.
Expose him to waivers???? If any team takes him I will drive him to that city myself. No one is going to take that contract off our hands.

Closed Thread