HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread (All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Here's a question (not exactly about the Habs per se rather to get a gauge of fellow Habs fans' mindset):

Would you rather the former prospects/draftees do well after they leave the Habs making the amateur scouting staff look good but the player management staff look bad or would you rather hope they fail making the amateur scouting staff look bad but the player management staff look good?
Well depends on your pre-existing towards management. I personally like to give all professionals the benefit of the doubt as much as I can. So in essence I want to prove to me that there doing a terrible job rather than assume they are. In regards to the Canadiens scouting, I hope the players do well as I don't really feel that our scouting is that big a problem, sure it could do better, there is always room for better, but I don't think they are as bad as everyone portrays them. For this reason I'd like players to do well when they leave so that people can see that sometimes it isn't always about the players we picked or the quality of our personnel, sometimes it actually is just a development problem or an environment problem.

Old
10-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Quote:
Here's a question (not exactly about the Habs per se rather to get a gauge of fellow Habs fans' mindset):

Would you rather the former prospects/draftees do well after they leave the Habs making the amateur scouting staff look good but the player management staff look bad or would you rather hope they fail making the amateur scouting staff look bad but the player management staff look good?
Usually I hope that they do well but there's always exceptions : Komisarek (for signing for the leafs, and btw THANKS GOD he didn't accepted our 4M offer) and Kovalev (he rejected our offer or at least thought him and his agent that they could get more from the habs and got the same with the sens, and once again, THANKS GOD he said no). For the other ones, I wish them all the best from Latendresse, to Halak, to Koivu, to Tanguay, to Higgins, etc.

I honestly dont care about how the amateur scouting looks.

Old
10-24-2010, 11:50 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Good for Sergei, he has a great talent, I hope he can get his head into the game, he has all the tools to be successful.
A change of scenery has been terrific for SK74. He has been working his butt of since day one, and coach Trotz speaks very highly of him. He's currently playing with a broken toe that he got during camp, which is why he's on the fourth line\not getting a lot of minutes. He can't even walk without a boot right now, but somehow he's able to play.

His goal was pretty nice...took a loose puck out from underneath Ellis, pulled it around him, and roofed it to give the Preds the lead. I think he's looked more and more comfortable and confident with each passing game, and can't wait to see him when he's totally healthy and can handle more minutes on special teams.

Old
10-24-2010, 11:57 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
A change of scenery has been terrific for SK74. He has been working his butt of since day one, and coach Trotz speaks very highly of him. He's currently playing with a broken toe that he got during camp, which is why he's on the fourth line\not getting a lot of minutes. He can't even walk without a boot right now, but somehow he's able to play.

His goal was pretty nice...took a loose puck out from underneath Ellis, pulled it around him, and roofed it to give the Preds the lead. I think he's looked more and more comfortable and confident with each passing game, and can't wait to see him when he's totally healthy and can handle more minutes on special teams.
Thanks for the report and confirming his injury. I'm glad Sergei is doing well for you guys. Trotz is a great coach, so if he's praising Sergei, that's a good sign.

Old
10-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:

I'm a Montreal Canadiens fan. Ex Hab players are human beings I cheered for once. If they did not openly attacked my club I will always cheer for them again and wish them best (except against us of course). If they did bash their ex team - well - then I do not really care about their performances ans success (Komi, Tanguay, Lats, Grabovski are in this category). I ignore them.

Nothing to do with management decisions.

Old
10-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Kinda ironic Sergei scored his first goal on one of the players he was traded for.

Old
10-25-2010, 03:58 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I watched a Panthers game at the beginning of the season. I thought Higgins stood out. He looked... I don't know how to say it. He worked very hard, is what I'm trying to say. But it really never amounts to anything, and although he always makes you think he's dangerous around the net, his scoring chances always end up being... disappointing. I don't think anything bad happened to Higgins really. I don't know if you all remember, but he was known for going through long draughts. Higgins doesn't really have any spectacular assets to his game except maybe his speed. He's fast, but everything else is just... average/below-average. He doesn't have a great shot. He doesn't have great hands. He doesn't have great hockey sense. I don't know. I think the Higgins we've been seeing the past few years is pretty much what you should expect out of him. Give him a good center, and maybe he'll pot in 10-15 goals, which isn't too bad. He's a rich man's Kostopoulos who knows he's terrible at fighting so he doesn't drop the gloves.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe the reason why he had the seasons he had with us is because he was given a lot of chances to succeed because his talent level wasn't accurately assessed and that his stats output atm is closer to what it always should have been. Don't get me wrong, he's alright. But put Boyd or Pyatt with Gomez and Gionta or A. Kost and Plek a whole season and my guess is that they're going to look good in the long run as well.

Old
10-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I watched a Panthers game at the beginning of the season. I thought Higgins stood out. He looked... I don't know how to say it. He worked very hard, is what I'm trying to say. But it really never amounts to anything, and although he always makes you think he's dangerous around the net, his scoring chances always end up being... disappointing. I don't think anything bad happened to Higgins really. I don't know if you all remember, but he was known for going through long draughts. Higgins doesn't really have any spectacular assets to his game except maybe his speed. He's fast, but everything else is just... average/below-average. He doesn't have a great shot. He doesn't have great hands. He doesn't have great hockey sense. I don't know. I think the Higgins we've been seeing the past few years is pretty much what you should expect out of him. Give him a good center, and maybe he'll pot in 10-15 goals, which isn't too bad. He's a rich man's Kostopoulos who knows he's terrible at fighting so he doesn't drop the gloves.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that maybe the reason why he had the seasons he had with us is because he was given a lot of chances to succeed because his talent level wasn't accurately assessed and that his stats output atm is closer to what it always should have been. Don't get me wrong, he's alright. But put Boyd or Pyatt with Gomez and Gionta or A. Kost and Plek a whole season and my guess is that they're going to look good in the long run as well.
Higgins did well that 1 year when he was playing with Koivu on the top line,when he wasn't he was a regular 3rd liner and is nothing else if you ask me,and if he doesn't give 110% every shift,he will soon no longer be in the NHL

Old
10-25-2010, 08:16 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post

Draughts or droughts?

Just kidding around.

I wish he'd find his game and better yet learn to finish. But wow too many teams in a short period of time makes me wonder.

Old
10-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

I have to say....this is a great question. Myself, well it depends. At one point, I wish they don't have too much success based on the fact that I hate seeing the Tremblay's of this world and others being too vocal about the mistakes to the point that the pollute the media world. I also hate the distraction that it can cause to the team based on the fact that those journalists will impact the way some fans will think, will impact the way some fans will act at the Bell Centre and all.....

But, I also like to not change opinions too much and stick with what I thought. I always believed in Lats, and will like to see that I wasn't that wrong after all. Also, you develop a certain liking for players that even if they are not Habs, you like seeing them success à la Halak. Though, as far as Halak is concerned, I do have mixed feeling based on how much I like him AND the level of distraction that it could have provided....

So for me, it depends. Again, great question.

Old
10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
dfk711*
The real #11

In reference to Koivu, I don't think he looks tired out there. So far the whole team has had some trouble in the defensive zone and sustaining offense and every line has been pinned in their own zone for long periods of time.

Koivu and Selanne have been playing well but Blake has been dragging the line down a little bit.

He's not really getting much PP time and when he does it's with Blake and Sexton. The 2nd PP unit has been awful so far but the 1st PP unit has been good and usually keeps the puck in the zone for a while.

Koivu has been as good as always on the PK and I'm sure the points will come. He's obviously getting towards the end of his career so his point totals will probably be lower than the last few years.

Old
10-25-2010, 01:42 PM
zx81

Not sure if it was posted but Halak was named the 2nd star of the week.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

WTG Jaro.

Old
10-25-2010, 01:58 PM
neofury*

Grats to Jaro, glad he's proving to people he wasn't a one hit wonder

Old
10-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Draughts or droughts?

Just kidding around.

I wish he'd find his game and better yet learn to finish. But wow too many teams in a short period of time makes me wonder.
Well... The rumor was he was partying a lot, right?

I'm sure he had a lot of long draughts!

Old
10-25-2010, 03:06 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Not sure if it was posted but Halak was named the 2nd star of the week.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

WTG Jaro.
Great stuff! Montreal is one of the best at finding and developing goaltenders. Great stuff for Jaro. He'll have a great year no doubt. He's going to have a lot of success in St.Louis, they are a great team and Halak will make them that much better.

Old
10-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
Best start of his career and still not as good as Jaro, who today was named 2nd star for the league this week. Not Carey's fault but successful organizations don't make mistakes of this magnitude.
Yes, because goaltender performances exist in a vacuum and you can just take one goalie from one team and plug him into another and expect the exact same results.

Old
10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Yes, because goaltender performances exist in a vacuum and you can just take one goalie from one team and plug him into another and expect the exact same results.
Well it's happened/is happening on 2 teams now. Tough to ignore.

Old
10-25-2010, 03:29 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Best start of his career and still not as good as Jaro, who today was named 2nd star for the league this week. Not Carey's fault but successful organizations don't make mistakes of this magnitude.
This magnitude? I heard at work this weekend that Halak was superior because he got a 31 save SO(i believe) and price only got a 19 save SO. Not sure if #s are right, but you get the idea. It's kind of an odd thing to complain about. This magnitude you speak of is highly exaggerated. They are both top young goalies in the world. Price is 2 years younger than halak as well. So if price continues his progression he'll be just as good as halak and if not, price is doing pretty well right now. Don't take away from his performances. We should be happy we had the option of which potential star goalie to choose from.

Old
10-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
You must be a joy to talk hockey with.

Old
10-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
This magnitude? I heard at work this weekend that Halak was superior because he got a 31 save SO(i believe) and price only got a 19 save SO. Not sure if #s are right, but you get the idea. It's kind of an odd thing to complain about. This magnitude you speak of is highly exaggerated. They are both top young goalies in the world. Price is 2 years younger than halak as well. So if price continues his progression he'll be just as good as halak and if not, price is doing pretty well right now. Don't take away from his performances. We should be happy we had the option of which potential star goalie to choose from.
Guys, just ignore him. He was nowhere to be found with these comments 1 to 2 games prior when Halak's stats were not as good as Price's. 7 games in, after some very strong performances by Halak, he choses to come in and quip about goalie stats that are meaningless for the first 10 or so games.

It's just stupid that there is a thread talking about Price's strong start to the season and some troll has to come in here and talk about Halak. And then people complain that Price fans get defensive when Halak is brought up because of posts like these. Unreal.

Mod edit:

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-25-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment
Old
10-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
You and Jaro should go get a room

6.5 on the trollometer...

But seriously - how can you be a fan of the team but have that much hatred is beyond me. You're worse than that erika K broad that infested these boards.

Old
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Best start of his career was '09. Price was 21... that was the best start for either goalie.

Halak may turn out to be the better goalie over the long run but Price has been great when you factor in that he's only 23. He's going to continue to improve.

No sense cheering against the guy who our team is built around. He's been good so far... just chill out and enjoy it.

Old
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Well it's happened/is happening on 2 teams now. Tough to ignore.
St-Louis has a significantly better d-corps. Significantly better.

It remains to be seen if Halak can keep this up long term and be one of the only small goalies in the history of the league to maintain strong play over the long term.

waffledave
Old
10-25-2010, 03:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
Guys, just ignore him. He was nowhere to be found with these comments 1 to 2 games prior when Halak's stats were not as good as Price's. 7 games in, after some very strong performances by Halak, he choses to come in and quip about goalie stats that are meaningless for the first 10 or so games.

It's just stupid that there is a thread talking about Price's strong start to the season and some troll has to come in here and talk about Halak. And then people complain that Price fans get defensive when Halak is brought up because of posts like these. Unreal.
I'm aware. I just am stating my opinion anyway.

Old
10-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'm aware. I just am stating my opinion anyway.
I wouldn't complain if you used your newly acquired godly mod powers right now.

Closed Thread