HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Ludicrous Speed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
You have to use the players that were on the field at the end of extra time. Rogers was subbed out in the 90th minute of regulation. That said, I agree about Carroll. Lenhart would have been a much smarter choice.
Yeah, I came in during extra time. Hadn't paid full attention to who was all on the field.

Evidently Carroll was chosen as the anchor specifically. But still, the second I saw him step up, I knew the season was over. Greunebaum should have saved that second PK though. You can't ask for an easier shot to save.

Last edited by Ludicrous Speed: 11-07-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old
11-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidAcbj View Post
I LOVE these Browns right now!

First a beat down of the Saints and now a beat down of the Pats!?

If only they could have beaten the Bucs and Chiefs....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
1 Browns ticket = $ 85 bucks
1 Peyton Hillis jersey = $ 75 bucks
4 beers = $ 32 bucks
Seeing the Browns dominate the Pats = Priceless.

I thought the last win vs the Saints was the most enjoyable since they came back in 99, but this one was even better, and it was also great to see so many Browns fans smiling and high fiving, plus the Patriots fans going home pissed off.
I have to admit that even Steelers fans were happy to see this. My guess is Browns fans will be happy when there's a stronger hatred for the Browns again among Steelers fans.

Old
11-08-2010, 02:04 PM
RickS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I have to admit that even Steelers fans were happy to see this. My guess is Browns fans will be happy when there's a stronger hatred for the Browns again among Steelers fans.
I agree. I'm a die-hard Steelers fan, but I watched the 4th quarter of that game and found myself smiling at the end. Hillis is a beast, and I really enjoyed the smile on Mangini's face when the game was over. And, ditto on the "hate" issue. I really missed the hating since the team moved to Baltimore, and since they came back, it would be like hating your dorky kid brother. Looks like a real rivalry could be on the horizon again.

Old
11-08-2010, 02:35 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
I agree. I'm a die-hard Steelers fan, but I watched the 4th quarter of that game and found myself smiling at the end. Hillis is a beast, and I really enjoyed the smile on Mangini's face when the game was over. And, ditto on the "hate" issue. I really missed the hating since the team moved to Baltimore, and since they came back, it would be like hating your dorky kid brother. Looks like a real rivalry could be on the horizon again.
I think you two aren't quite old enough to remember when the Steelers weren't even good enough to be a dorky little brother - more like a little girls' ballet class than a pro football team. The game is cyclical, just some cycles are longer than others. Pittsburgh has been on top for quite awhile, now. Before that, the Browns were on top for two decades. It'd be great to see them both good at one time, for a few years!

Old
11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I think you two aren't quite old enough to remember when the Steelers weren't even good enough to be a dorky little brother - more like a little girls' ballet class than a pro football team. The game is cyclical, just some cycles are longer than others. Pittsburgh has been on top for quite awhile, now. Before that, the Browns were on top for two decades. It'd be great to see them both good at one time, for a few years!
Ancient history, pete!

No one's disparaging the Browns' rich tradition, merely pointing out that it feels weird as a Steelers fan to be happy for the Browns. I'd expect that, should the Browns continue to trend upward, that feeling will fade, and both fanbases will be happy about it.

And Rick's older than me...

Old
11-08-2010, 02:48 PM
RickS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
The "dorky kid brother" comment was preceded by "since they came back." So there. Also, I followed the Steelers when Kent Nix was the QB, so I do remember many of the bad days, just not as many as you.

Old
11-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Can the Browns get a point for an overtime loss?? Please?

At least their schedule is easy after this.

Old
11-14-2010, 06:31 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Are the Cleveland Browns completely inept at sacking the quarterback?

I don't think I've seen a QB escape as many tackles as Sanchez did today.

Old
11-14-2010, 07:12 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Quote:
Can the Browns get a point for an overtime loss?? Please?

At least their schedule is easy after this.
Ha I wish. If we could have pulled it out, it would be a whole new season. I'm not feeling as great at 3-6.

If they can play like they have the past 3 weeks though, I can see at least 4-5 more wins in our future.

Old
11-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Hugg

Troy Smith threw for 356 yards and a TD with no interceptions. Another 4th quarter comeback win too.

And he had 3 more TD passes called back by penalties.

Safe to say he's won that job.

Old
11-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
THE T.OCHO is where it's at..... 11pm tonight on Versus.

Old
11-16-2010, 07:14 PM
FlaggerX

I am starting to like this year. The Jackets look like actual playoff contenders, the Browns may not make the playoffs but they've taken giant steps forward. And after watching Ohio State dismantle Florida in Gainesville I'm beginning to think that this team really does deserve its #5 ranking. Might be a fun March in central Ohio.

Old
11-16-2010, 09:19 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
I am starting to like this year. The Jackets look like actual playoff contenders, the Browns may not make the playoffs but they've taken giant steps forward. And after watching Ohio State dismantle Florida in Gainesville I'm beginning to think that this team really does deserve its #5 ranking. Might be a fun March in central Ohio.
This could end up being the best all around team that Matta has had at OSU.

Old
11-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5816234

Quote:
"As [my husband] was walking, holding my son's hand, a guy from behind tackled him. A drunken Browns fan tackled him and pulled him out of his dad's hand. He was on the ground crying," Danielle said, according to the station.

11-17-2010, 03:15 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Obnoxious, drunken fans can be found in any football stadium, but there's an especially unpleasant number of them in the Dawg Pound. That said:

CLEVELAND ROCKS!

Old
11-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Everyone should know not to wear opposing colors in the Dawg Pound, you're just asking for trouble. That's how it is, not saying I agree with it.

Old
11-18-2010, 01:27 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Everyone should know not to wear opposing colors in the Dawg Pound, you're just asking for trouble. That's how it is, not saying I agree with it.
But a kid? That's pathetic.
Surely that's a line that full-grown adults should be able to understand and not cross. Even in the Dawg Pound.

Several years ago, I took my younger brother, 13 at the time, to Fenway Park to see a Red Sox-Yankees game.
I was non-denominational in terms of the contest, but my bro, again 13-years-old, is a Yankee fan and wore a Yankee shirt.
Several drunken full-grown adult (physically at least) Sox fans yelled at and harassed him. I almost wound up in a fight over it.
It was unbelievable.

Special place in hell for those types of fans.

Old
11-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

wasn't it in a parking lot...not the dawg pound? or am I mishearing the situation?

Old
11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
wasn't it in a parking lot...not the dawg pound? or am I mishearing the situation?
Yeah, it was.

But I think we can safely assume it was probably a proud Dawg Pound member who would do such a thing, right, right?

Old
11-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

fair nuff...

also i waited a couple of days to chime in...as the resident CBJ board Gator, great job by OSU in breaking the press...i went into the game not really knowing much about the gator team this year and taking a few things away, a-the depth isn't really what we were lead to believe (sound familiar?) b- bad shots means bad rebounds and fast breaks for the opponants and c- billy d has grayed a LOT in the last year...

i just wonder how the year plays out for sullinger...he (on the whole) seems too soft at times to play the 4, he isn't a 3, dont' know enough about his shot to call him a 2, and just not quick enough to be a 1...and will he in fact be a 1 and done for OSU?

Old
11-18-2010, 03:20 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
fair nuff...

also i waited a couple of days to chime in...as the resident CBJ board Gator, great job by OSU in breaking the press...i went into the game not really knowing much about the gator team this year and taking a few things away, a-the depth isn't really what we were lead to believe (sound familiar?) b- bad shots means bad rebounds and fast breaks for the opponants and c- billy d has grayed a LOT in the last year...

i just wonder how the year plays out for sullinger...he (on the whole) seems too soft at times to play the 4, he isn't a 3, dont' know enough about his shot to call him a 2, and just not quick enough to be a 1...and will he in fact be a 1 and done for OSU?
I've been waiting for your analysis, Fro, knowing your alligence to Florida. I pretty much agree on much of what you saw from the Gators, though I think Young is going to develop quickly for you. Losing to this Buckeye team is no disgrace, even at home, as they've got quite a bit of talent and experience.

Sullinger will play a little 5 and a little 4, depending on matchups and foul problems. I think he'll learn to bang - he'll have to to survive in the BigTe(leve)n. He has a bit of game, away from the hoop, but he's not particularly quick or explosive, so his size, strength, hands, and basketball sense will take him as far as he goes. I think he has one-and-done in mind, unless things don't go as well as he hopes. Matta, though, has done a great job of bringing in guys like that and mixing them with players like Lighty, Lauderdale, and Buford who stick around for two to five years and actually improve while they're here! He's got another great class coming, so I don't look for any great drop-off for them, no matter what happens with Sullinger.

I really like what I've seen out of Craft, Sully's frosh teammate at the point. That's perhaps the most important position in college hoops and one of the most difficult to fill. The Bucks haven't had a good, true point guard since Conley, and not all that many before him. When putting together an all-time OSU team, there are many candidates for all other spots, but very few prime picks at the point. I see Craft entering this discussion, by the time he's ready to leave.

Old
11-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

as usual...spot on pete...

Old
11-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Sullinger will be thought of as a better player than Oden by the end of his one (and only) year playing hoops for Ohio State. Sullinger is very different than the other high profile big men who have played under Matta (Oden, Koufos, and Mullens) in that 1. he's not 7 feet tall and 2. He plays a true power game.

His smaller height made it so that his high school games didn't always consist of catch ball in post, turn and dunk. He actually had to develop some post moves in high school. This make him use his body in different ways that Oden, Koufos, and Mullens never had to learn (and in some cases, still haven't learned). He also plays a true power game. Mullens and Koufos play a power game? Yeah, that's pretty funny. Oden could play a power game, but didn't really have to most of the time. Sullinger is fit for the Big 10 conference, because he will be ready to bang every game.

Sullinger could average about the same rebounds as Oden did a game (9.6), and will probably score more (Oden just 15.7 a game) and get more assists (Oden a paltry .7 per game). Of course he doesn't stand a chance to get as many blocks as he did, but hey, that's what Lauderdale and his 7'2 wingspan is for.

Craft looks like a very intelligent guard for such a young man. It's going to be a privilege to watch him develop for the next 4 years.

Old
11-19-2010, 06:28 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Sullinger will be thought of as a better player than Oden by the end of his one (and only) year playing hoops for Ohio State. Sullinger is very different than the other high profile big men who have played under Matta (Oden, Koufos, and Mullens) in that 1. he's not 7 feet tall and 2. He plays a true power game.

His smaller height made it so that his high school games didn't always consist of catch ball in post, turn and dunk. He actually had to develop some post moves in high school. This make him use his body in different ways that Oden, Koufos, and Mullens never had to learn (and in some cases, still haven't learned). He also plays a true power game. Mullens and Koufos play a power game? Yeah, that's pretty funny. Oden could play a power game, but didn't really have to most of the time. Sullinger is fit for the Big 10 conference, because he will be ready to bang every game.

Sullinger could average about the same rebounds as Oden did a game (9.6), and will probably score more (Oden just 15.7 a game) and get more assists (Oden a paltry .7 per game). Of course he doesn't stand a chance to get as many blocks as he did, but hey, that's what Lauderdale and his 7'2 wingspan is for.

Craft looks like a very intelligent guard for such a young man. It's going to be a privilege to watch him develop for the next 4 years.
Good post, Matthew.

Old
11-21-2010, 06:21 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

This was LONG overdue

Closed Thread