HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Would you fight?

Old
10-23-2010, 01:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Would you fight?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5715816

If Memphis was on the chopping block, would you fight for them?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:13 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
1. I forgot that Memphis even had a team, so no I wouldnt bat an eye.

2. The players make $55500009999924 per game, what did they think was going to happen? They play ball, they arent heart surgeons, they arent researchers curing diseases, etc. As much as I love the NHL, professional sports make me sick to my stomach when I think hard enough about it.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 01:39 PM
hockey_socks

Since I'm in the Memphis area, I would. Heh. (We've moved to a separate incorporated Memphis burb recently, but same thing, anyway.)

I think having a pro team in Memphis is a great thing for the whole state, just like I think having pro teams in Nashville is great for the whole state.

Really, since Memphis has gotten a new mayor (A.C. Wharton), I feel like the area is "looking up," so to speak. Herenton's (former mayor-tyrant) cloud of doom seems to be dispersing and more good things seem to be coming our way again. It will take time -- it took time for Herenton to send the city into the crapper, so it will take time to clean up his mess. I'm not a cheerleader for Wharton, but I know first hand he's a nice person -- I don't want the city to lose the Grizz at all, but I'd really hate for it to be on his watch.

Not sure how losing the team would shake out tax-wise, but I just have a feeling if Memphis took a financial/tax hit from losing the team, it'd be paid for one way or the other by folks all over TN. Kinda makes you wanna barf, but it is what it is. I think the same thing would happen if Nashville lost the Preds.

Honestly, the Grizz have not been able to overtake the popularity of Tiger basketball, but I don't expect they'll come close until they at least have a good, long playoff run to compete with the history of Tigers. FWIW, everyone knows the University is not going anywhere, so I guess it's also safer to invest your basketball love in the Tigers anyway.

hockey_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Tennman

I hate to see any city lose a team but I can't stand the NBA and never liked memphis. So no probably wouldn't fight for them.

Tennman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman View Post
I hate to see any city lose a team but I can't stand the NBA and never liked memphis. So no probably wouldn't fight for them.
It's a hell hole ... that's why my parents left when my brother was born

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2010, 10:01 PM
RaiderDoug

I don't like basketball, so no.

But I'd hate to see the state lose a team. And really, team support is dependent on the quality of the team - give the Grizzlies a player like LeBron and they'd sell out every game.

If it was another sport, i'd probably be on the "Save the Memphis Whoevers" bandwagon pretty quick.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:48 PM
jcupp

I grew up in Memphis. I got out of that city as fast as I could. The only thing I miss is the very few family members left there and friends. It's the Detroit of the south. I don't think there is enough money in the city to support any pro sport.

If NBA doesn't make it in Memphis, nothing will. I don't even think LeBron could save it. It's never good for a sports team to fail in a city/state, but I wouldn't fight for it. It makes me feel a little bad saying that because I would fight for the Preds/Titans, but what can I say?

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 09:57 PM
MemphisMTLfan

We don't care. We have the Tigers.

MemphisMTLfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Stranger

Even if I'm not the biggest NBA fan, I think it would be terrible for Memphis to lose them. Sure it is a different city, but people on here were calling out non-hockey fans for not getting behind the franchise/sport during our ownership woes..

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:51 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
contract Memphis' NBA team? How about we contract the entire city? I like that idea better...

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:02 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Let's not beat up on Memphis, we have some quality fans from Memphis.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:11 AM
66Falconboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman View Post
Pretty much agree there, Tennman.

66Falconboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:23 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 162
the NBA and NFL are getting ready to go through what hockey already did in the lockout. In tough economic times there isnt isnt enough cash to support the ever inflating salaries of the players. there just arent enough carefree billionaires around who can lose millions a year just for the thrill of it

stern is talking about contraction to lay the groundwork for concessions from the players.

I dont think there will be contraction. the other owners would have to pony up to buy out the contracted team.

Id hate to see any city lose their team, but at the same time you have to pick your battles, and as a KY resident I certainly wouldnt make any kind of effort to save a team in memphis, in any sport

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:16 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Let's not beat up on Memphis, we have some quality fans from Memphis.
I am not beating up everyone (especially Preds fans) from Memphis. I am just beating up the fact that every dollar this state spends in that city is one that we will never see back ever again. They are already in 8 digits in the hole and lose about 3M more each year. I'm sure 20% of Memphis is great, it is just the other 80% that makes it AWFUL.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Legionnaire11

When Nashville was in danger of losing the Preds, we expected non-hockey fans to realize the value of having an NHL team downtown and to step up and support the team simply out of civic pride.

I would hate to see Memphis lose the Grizzlies, and would definitely get behind an effort to save their team.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
When Nashville was in danger of losing the Preds, we expected non-hockey fans to realize the value of having an NHL team downtown and to step up and support the team simply out of civic pride.

I would hate to see Memphis lose the Grizzlies, and would definitely get behind an effort to save their team.
Would that include $ to buy tickets for the Grizzlies ? ... because I sure wouldn't pay $ to see a team that terrible in that horrible city

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Memphis isn't all bad. It has a very nice riverfront area, but zero support for the Grizzies. I saw more people wearing Preds stuff there the last time I visited than Grizz. NBA/Stearn created thier mess by Marketing players instead of teams, marketing players as rappers and thugs, not enforsing any of the rules especially for Star players, drafting players out of high school. They made their bed now it's time to lie in it. Still don't want to see the state lose a team though.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:38 PM
jcupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Memphis isn't all bad. It has a very nice riverfront area, but zero support for the Grizzies. I saw more people wearing Preds stuff there the last time I visited than Grizz. NBA/Stearn created thier mess by Marketing players instead of teams, marketing players as rappers and thugs, not enforsing any of the rules especially for Star players, drafting players out of high school. They made their bed now it's time to lie in it. Still don't want to see the state lose a team though.
You're right. To generalise a whole part of anything as being all bad or all good is ignorant. IMO though when a lot of people don't think twice about something being stolen from them, because it has become a way of life, it pretty much taints the whole area. It's not just theft either, I've had very close friends and family have a lot worse happen to them.

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:39 PM
brah

No.

The NBA blows and basketball is the worst sport of all time.

brah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:19 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFail View Post
We don't care. We have the Tigers.
Which is a big part of why the Grizzlies have been a failure. Why go watch a bunch of overpaid role players when you can go watch a much more exciting product (that goes for any collegiate team versus an NBA side) for significantly less personal expense?

It doesn't help that the Grizzlies have done very little to make themselves competitive. Trading Gasol to the Lakers for his little brother and a collection of spare parts in 2008 showed a lack of commitment to winning that definitely turned me off as a potential fan, and unlike the Predators with the hellish 2007 off-season, they haven't done anything on the floor to make amends. Acquiring Randolph was a step in the right direction, and the Gay contract, while an absurd amount of money, will give the club some sort of consistent presence in the market, but they haven't drafted well and have major problems bringing in free agents.

The NBA is a league full of problems. None of the other "Big Four" leagues has gone to such great lengths to ruin its sport as the Association has. So many times a game has been on TV and I'll try to watch it, only to have it break down into a free throw shooting contest. Teams aren't allowed to use any kind of physicality on defense, and now they're going to get teed up or fined (or both) for any outburst of emotion. The thing is, the league is doing all of this in the name of appeasing "middle class America" (if there is such a thing anymore) without realizing they're taking away all of the things that middle class America would want to watch.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 10-26-2010 at 04:59 AM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote