HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane O'Brien

Old
10-25-2010, 02:22 AM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I know that we were warned about bad penalties
That was moreso the season before (2008/09 season). He cut down the amount of "bad penalties" this past season.

Quote:
and "attitude" issues
This was the reason he's not on the Canucks roster anymore. Didn't work hard enough in training camp (just sleep-walked through) and had his spot in the lineup taken by Alberts.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:22 AM
Lz68

Quote:
Preds fan here, coming in peace

I know that SOB wasn't the most popular guy in Vancouver at the time he left, but for those that might have liked him, I wanted to give a little update as to how he's been doing in Nashville.

So far...pretty great. He started the year paired with Cody Franson, and was given a strict "stay at home" role to pair with Franson's more free-wheeling offensive game. With the injury to Suter, he graduated up to the second pair with Klein, and at times even the first pair with Weber, and with more responsibility he has played better and better. He's not seeing any PP time, but a heavy amount of PK time. I think, in a way, what he brings on the ice is a better fit for the Preds than what Hamhuis brought, since there were so many similar style defensemen (Suter, Klein), but there was no one to just play a physical, crease clearing style...which is what we've had from SOB thus far.

I know that we were warned about bad penalties and "attitude" issues, but thus far...no problems on either front. I think he's only taken one minor penalty, and had one fight. Trotz has raved about his work ethic and attitude since arriving, despite being admittedly wary about how things went down in Vancouver. Like Kostitsyn coming over from Montreal, the change of scenery really seems to have revitalized him. Most of all, I imagine Jordin Tootoo is glad to finally have a drinking buddy

Anyway, just thought some of you might find that interesting. Good luck on the rest of the season, except when you're playing us
Not really surprising since he was basically just too expensive for Vancouver to keep.

Most of the rep for taking boneheaded penalties was from his first year and he improved greatly in his second year; their was a negative to this though since he basically stopped fighting all together and some people became critical of him because of that.

As for power play time feel lucky he's not getting it because you will probably die of old age before he starts producing on the PP

Lz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:28 AM
MS

O'Brien is a solid enough 3rd-pairing defender, so it's not surprising he's playing like a solid 3rd-pairing defender.

Too much water under the bridge here, and made too much money for his role. Hopefully he does well with a fresh start.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:29 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz68 View Post
Most of the rep for taking boneheaded penalties was from his first year and he improved greatly in his second year;
He did take some pretty idiotic penalties in the playoffs last year too.

Anyway - glad SOB landed on his feet in Nashville. He should do well there, lots of talent on that blueline so he can play within his limitations (and for that matter well below his potential) without being exposed too often.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:37 AM
F A N

SOB usually gets off to a good start when he's on a new team. For a short while he'll seem to play better and better when given more responsibility. Then he starts thinking he's a superstar and forgets doing the things that got him the minutes in the first place and also doesn't keep his conditioning up. For example, after a strong first year with Anaheim and TB, he showed up to TB camp overweight. The same conditioning problems occurred in SOB's second year with the Canucks. Ultimately, he has never been able to maintain the consistency needed to be a consistent top 4 Dmen in this league and he ends up getting his duties cut back. Unfortunately, when SOB's minutes gets cut back he starts whining and moaning about how he should be playing more and how he can't develop unless he plays more.

That's not saying the same thing will happen. I was a fan of SOB and still believe he can develop into a solid top 4 Dman if he forgets about trying to be a superstar and concentrate on being a physical shutdown Dman. But the guy simply has too high of an opinion of himself. His parting shot said it best:

Quote:
Last year, I stepped up when we had some injuries and helped our team win the division, and I thought I played with a lot of heart in the playoffs. Every time there was an injury, I'd play well. And when [the injured player] came back, I'd go right back to the bottom of the barrel.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/S...598/story.html

The guy has no concept of what a depth chart is. SOB expected to continue playing the minutes he got when the guys above him on the depth chart came back from injury. That's not how it works. You took advantage of opportunities to play more when guys got injured, and when guys come back, you should continue playing well and make the top guys expendable even if you're not better than them. SOB simply didn't do that. Imagine if Sutter and Weber went down with an injury, SOB steps up and plays well, and SOB starts thinking he should be playing more than Sutter and Weber.

Last edited by F A N: 10-25-2010 at 02:49 AM.
F A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:00 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
O'Brien is a solid enough 3rd-pairing defender, so it's not surprising he's playing like a solid 3rd-pairing defender.

Too much water under the bridge here, and made too much money for his role. Hopefully he does well with a fresh start.
I agree. Nashville simply put is a good situation for SOB as well. Clearly they needed a guy like SOB on their bottom pair and just like he did last season he's capable of playing top four minutes here and there.

At this point I doubt he'll be able to play top four minutes at that productive level consistantly but in that Nashville system they all find a way to look good somehow.

Either way when you look at this lineup I think it's safe to say that SOB would have been at best our 6th best defencemen (just ahead of Bieksa) but when everyone is healthy he likely would not have been in the lineup.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:33 AM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Too much water under the bridge here, and made too much money for his role.
I think he makes the right amount for his role, but it just came down to us not having the cap space to keep everyone. He became expendable when Alberts stepped up and proved he could play that role.

I'm not surprised that he's doing well - he's a quality player when his head is in the right place, and right now he knows he has something to prove. I also think playing in a more anonymous market will help him. The only real problem with his game was bad penalties... he took way too many penalties when he first got here, and last year the penalties went way down but so did his toughness and physical play to a degree. He's had trouble finding that sweet spot where he can play physical and show a bit of a mean streak without taking too many penalties.

I really do like the guy but for me there were 2 incidents in the playoffs that were just unacceptable: the one where he yelled at Rick Bowness at the bench and supposedly threatened to leave the game, and the fight with Wayne Simmonds where nobody really landed any punches but he went around showboating afterwards. Can't have stuff like that.

Fun fact: I'm parked beside his Escalade right now. He still has to get it shipped to Nashville. Wanna trade cars Shane?

Last edited by Type Not Specified: 10-25-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Type Not Specified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Hammer79

SOB is an NHL caliber player, but he was over-valued by fans for some odd reason (he's not the same caliber player as Bieksa, not even close) and all teams passed at picking up his $1.6M salary off waivers. Not much he could have done, he accepted his qualifying offer, but his fair market price would probably be closer to $900K. The off-ice issues, his ego, problems with AV are what ultimately sunk him here. I think he's a decent player, he just has no offensive upside and can hurt you by taking bad penalties at bad times. He was in the box when Chicago scored the series clincher on the PP in '09.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:04 AM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
glad O'Brien is doing well over there. He was one of my favorite players as a Canuck, and it's still a shame he isn't here.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:32 AM
orcatown

SOB simply lost his job to Alberts and there was no way the Canucks were going to pay SOB 1.6 to be a 7th defenseman.

The deal has the potential to look and become one-sided because of the position the Canucks were in. In taking Parent they were taking a player who they could shift to the minors to help with cap issues. Putting SOB in the minors would have caused problems the Canucks wanted to avoid.

Beyond that Parent has looked decent and at 23 Parent still has time to fill the potential he had coming out of Junior.

IMO SOB career in Vancouver went - show lots of energy and play well for awhile - begin to lose lose focus and start lally-gagging with the puck, causing the team to lose tempo - get in AV's bad books - get benched - gripe a bit but resolve to do better - then restart the cycle.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:45 AM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

I've been watching SOB a lot with the Preds this season and it's just a great situation for him. Playing a deep defensive core that plays a style that suits his game. Plus given the grit and size of the Preds backend, SOB isn't relied upon as heavily for those elements as he was here. He was always one of my favorite players when he was here but honestly his time was through as he had burnt a few too many bridges on this team and had been passed on the depth chart by cheaper players. However I think he'll become a real niche player in Nashville and I think he'll do well under Trotz. Although I'd be interested to hear what Preds fans say around game 60. I wish SOB the best, he was a character when he was here.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:17 AM
GCM
Stork

This was just not a good city for O'brien to be in night in and night out. Too much temptation.

Glad to hear he has since woken up and excelled in Nashville's system.

Always good to hear when a trade works both ways.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:47 AM
Red

Glad SOB is doing well so far. I don't think any of us disliked the guy, even the annoyingly outspoken way he left - most of us were quite happy with his defensive play here and wanted him to succeed, he just lacked commitment and discipline that ended up costing us games almost as often as Bieksa's swimming lessons on ice. Looks like he really needed a fresh start and some time apart from the Roxy. Nashville is one of the few teams in the West I actually like (save for Trotz) and you guys are having a terrific start.

On our end, Parent has been more than decent for a #8 defenseman and Hamhuis has been a rock in the defensive zone.

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:22 AM
lush
@jasonlush

O'Brien was great when he first arrived in Vancouver as well. After having one too many defenders without grit he fit in wonderfully here. He is a real team guy, I got the sense he plays really hard to gain acceptance with his teammates.

With that being said, it didn't really last. It's also tough when he has a bad game and you wonder what he was up to the night before.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
rebel diamond

Good for him, his play on the ice was mostly solid and he clearly had the potential. Maybe the trade was just what he needed to get his off-ice issues and discipline problems under control. He always seemed like a nice guy and I hope he has a good year, except against the Canucks.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:33 AM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

SOB >>>>>>>>>>>>> Bieksa

I cant believe they traded SOB instead of that SOB

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
(he's not the same caliber player as Bieksa, not even close)
Hate to tell you this, but -- like in the real world -- sometimes what a player gets paid is not necessarily an indicator of their actual value. SOB has outplayed Mr. Bieksa for over a year now.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
SOB simply lost his job to Alberts and there was no way the Canucks were going to pay SOB 1.6 to be a 7th defenseman.
I don't believe this was the case at all - though the coaching staff did everything in their power to make it appear so in the pre-season. Shane O'Brien is a better two-way defenseman than Andrew Alberts IMO and the reason Alberts won the job had to do with salary and attitude issues, not performance. The Canucks simply didn't have room for a #6 defenseman earning $1.6mil - they wouldn't have been able to fit O'Brien under the cap.

O'Brien will do anything for his teammates - except stick up for them of course. I'm not sure why he has a reputation for sticking up for his teammates when he showed time and time again he was unwilling to fight battles for others. Same goes for the 'nasty' label - let's be honest, the guy is a puppydog.

Shane is a good bottom pairing defender but just made too much for his role.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:07 PM
RewBicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Change of scenery probably did SOB well. He fell into AV's doghouse, and once a player gets into that for a particular coach, sometimes, they just are never able to recover from that in the eyes of the coach.

Flip side, for us here, is that Bieksa for whatever reason always remains in AV's good books.

It's also an important year for SOB. He's UFA at the end of the season, so he needs to be a solid player.
As a human being, Bieksa is relatively intelligent and works hard. Generally speaking, I think the same could not be said for O'Brien (or at the very least, he didn't act like he had two brain cells to rub together). I think that's ultimately what distinguishes the two in AV's books.

RewBicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bougieman View Post
Hate to tell you this, but -- like in the real world -- sometimes what a player gets paid is not necessarily an indicator of their actual value. SOB has outplayed Mr. Bieksa for over a year now.
The reality is, SOB was a healthy scratch many times over the last year while Bieksa played over 20 minutes a night when healthy. Did, Bieksa **** up a lot? Yeah. Would O'Brien have done better? Probably not based on how often he got caught up ice against Chicago when he got pressed into duty due to injuries and the coaches opinion of him.

So in the "real world" when the coaches job is reliant on wins, do you really think he'd play Bieksa over O'Brien if he actually thought O'Brien was better?

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:21 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
And I don't think SOB was unpopular by Canucks fans. He was unpopular with AV and became expendable once Alberts started playing well. That's about it.
He wasn't popular with Canuck fans that demand a modicum of respect shown towards the organization.

I can see how Shane is thriving in an organization like Nashville. Trotz is a great coach and could get the most out of Shane.

I would monitor him over lengthy breaks in the season. I could see him gaining 8 pounds over the All-star weekend.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
I'm not surprised he's doing alright over there; O'Brien's a serviceable depth guy when he shuts his mouth (watches his weight) and plays his 15-17 minutes a night. Can't hurt him playing behind that top-pairing either.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:31 PM
skywarp75

yeah its absolutely true that Obrien is currently a better player than Bieksa, at less than half the cap hit. unfortunately our coach has some bigtime gay love for Bieksa so we shipped out OB and kept the albatross

skywarp75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Robert604strom

You guys are so lucky you got Sob. He was always a good guy in the locker room,only people not to like him were the loser media and alain. So what if he got drunk its not like he was hanging with the mafia like some guys in montreal were(kostitsyns). In my eyes he was better than bieska. Enjoy the S.o.b

Robert604strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Alexistheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I don't believe this was the case at all - though the coaching staff did everything in their power to make it appear so in the pre-season. Shane O'Brien is a better two-way defenseman than Andrew Alberts IMO and the reason Alberts won the job had to do with salary and attitude issues, not performance. The Canucks simply didn't have room for a #6 defenseman earning $1.6mil - they wouldn't have been able to fit O'Brien under the cap.

O'Brien will do anything for his teammates - except stick up for them of course. I'm not sure why he has a reputation for sticking up for his teammates when he showed time and time again he was unwilling to fight battles for others. Same goes for the 'nasty' label - let's be honest, the guy is a puppydog.

Shane is a good bottom pairing defender but just made too much for his role.
One of, if not the only guy to go after Bfyuglien when he would crash Luongos crease. Not saying that what he did was right, as he took numerous penalties for doing so, but he did stand up for him...

Alexistheman is offline   Reply With Quote