HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane O'Brien

Old
10-26-2010, 11:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgson View Post
It's amusing....

How the majority (hell 99%) of Preds fans said we overpaid, blah blah on Hamhuis, all their assessment proved to be quite off thus far.

and

same goes for O'Brien, however there was general agreement noone lost that trade and Hamhuis signing wasn't awful aside from the disagreement over contract $

but Hamhuis is worth 4.5, and O'Brien is not a cancer.

I would have liked to keep O'Brien but he and Alberts would be claimed on re-entry no doubt
I don't think 4.5M for Hamhuis is too much giving what the market was at the time.

I think 4.5M for hamhuis from the Predators is way too much at most he's 3 defenseman for us.

Hamhuis is a good stand-up guy. The kind of guy you want your kids to grow up to be. As mentioned at times he's fantastic and at times he gets lost mentally, even Trotz has mentioned this the problem was last season he seemed to be lost as much as he was fantastic. Wow though, when he's on and laying that hipcheck down, he's a treat to watch. If he can stay physical, remember he's not good at blocking shots, and stop feathering pucks out of the zone, he's a good #2 guy.

I'm not as sold on SOB yet as some fans, but he seems to be playing ok.

Last edited by triggrman: 10-26-2010 at 11:54 AM.
triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Even if he doesn't work out for the Preds - you guys still end up saving some cash/remove some salary off the books; so it's really a no-lose situation for you.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:21 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I don't think 4.5M for Hamhuis is too much giving what the market was at the time.

I think 4.5M for hamhuis from the Predators is way too much at most he's 3 defenseman for us.

Hamhuis is a good stand-up guy. The kind of guy you want your kids to grow up to be. As mentioned at times he's fantastic and at times he gets lost mentally, even Trotz has mentioned this the problem was last season he seemed to be lost as much as he was fantastic. Wow though, when he's on and laying that hipcheck down, he's a treat to watch. If he can stay physical, remember he's not good at blocking shots, and stop feathering pucks out of the zone, he's a good #2 guy.

Well said. Big difference in philosophy when it comes to salaries for these two teams, so to define if a player is "worth" an amount without looking into the context is going to lead to trouble.

Nashville is building a sustainable franchise financially and has to watch its dollars so that they don't get Phoenix'ed, and patiently wait for their gems in the system to mature a la Suter, Weber, etc. With the cap system, if Nashville can maintain its enviable development record, not overspend, and lock up at good value their core players like Weber and Suter, with players blossoming like Hornqvist and hopefully Wilson, then they'll be a slow but steady rising contender.

Vancouver is hoping to win the Cup this year, and/or next year, and rinse and repeat. Plain and simple. We had some question marks on defense, $4.5 million was actually less than what many thought Hamhuis could have gotten elsewhere, and if that's the price to get you to the Cup, then it's a bargain, and we (Aquillini family) have the dollars.

Not worth it in Nashville's strategy, very much a bargain in the Canucks context.

SOB did not prove he had a place here worth more than Alberts, and as for keeping SOB and getting rid of Bieksa, as I see it, Bieksa's already gone in the minds of management once Salo comes back, so really the question is what to we do with the 6/7 choice of Alberts, Rome and SOB. I think Alberts played himself on the team and Rome is cheap = SOB gone, not a bad player, just a bad fit.

Nashville wasn't going to use Parent, wouldn't want to pay him in the minors, and needed SOB's toughness.

EVERYONE WINS

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:18 PM
dulzhok

Pred fans seem to be happy with SOB. Vancouver seems to happy with Hamhuis.

BUT, it's still very early (5 games in Hamhuis' case). It is very typical for players to play at the very top of their game when they start with a new team. Preliminary judgments are fine and all, but more accurate judgments can be made about 40 games in.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Pred fans seem to be happy with SOB. Vancouver seems to happy with Hamhuis.

BUT, it's still very early (5 games in Hamhuis' case). It is very typical for players to play at the very top of their game when they start with a new team. Preliminary judgments are fine and all, but more accurate judgments can be made about 40 games in.
which is the point i was trying to make before...the original statement was made in regard to SOB, but I noted that it could also be made to Hammer. Hopefully it works out well for everyone involved.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:37 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
OT:

Are the Canucks planning on using Parent in the future? Or was the move a long-shot for the 'Nucks in hopes that he pans out?

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
OT:

Are the Canucks planning on using Parent in the future? Or was the move a long-shot for the 'Nucks in hopes that he pans out?
I think the Canucks are treating him as a project player, If our minor league affiliate wasn't already stacked on defence he would probably already be there.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:49 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
OT:

The way the Canucks lose Dmen to injuries Parent will probably see quite a few games in the NHL this season.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomesauce View Post
I think the Canucks are treating him as a project player, If our minor league affiliate wasn't already stacked on defence he would probably already be there.
That statement makes little sense. So you're saying the 'Nucks are keeping him around because the Moose are stacked? Since when does the Canucks management care more about the Moose than about their own team? The reason we're keeping him around is because we need him to be able to ice 6 D-Men and not 5.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 09:54 PM
ProstheticConscience
Das ist mein Land

Uh...Parent has played with the big club this year. He's probably on the roster tonight with Ballard and Hammy still out. Hasn't been noticeably terrible so far IMHO.

Still rather have O'Brien...

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:22 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Pretty good article today on O'Brien in this morning's Tennessean, for those interested:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20.../11050356/2163

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:10 AM
The Big Foot

Comparing him to the guy he lost his job to..
SOB 29 hits, 5 blocked shots in 11 games
Alberts 37 hits, 16 blocked shots in 12 games.
And yeah I know there's only so much you can take from those numbers, but I'm very happy we kept Alberts over SOB, enough of the distractions.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Reign Nateo

Yeah Alberts over O'Brien is what it came down to, and yeah, it's a no-brainer.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

When will O'Brien tale responsibility for his actions? I mean, the guy gets fat and he blames his metabolism as oppose to his steady diet of greasy food and beer. It's not my fault, it's my parents!

Shane O'Brien is a walking New year's resolution. He's always the best he can be for a short time after going to a new team but can never keep it up over the long haul. Not unlike how gym's are crowded beyond belief right after December 31st...

If O'Brien was a dedicated pro he could be a top 4 defenseman IMO. He just can't keep it together long enough to get that consistency.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:44 AM
duplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
When will O'Brien tale responsibility for his actions? I mean, the guy gets fat and he blames his metabolism as oppose to his steady diet of greasy food and beer. It's not my fault, it's my parents!

Shane O'Brien is a walking New year's resolution. He's always the best he can be for a short time after going to a new team but can never keep it up over the long haul. Not unlike how gym's are crowded beyond belief right after December 31st...

If O'Brien was a dedicated pro he could be a top 4 defenseman IMO. He just can't keep it together long enough to get that consistency.
I agree with everything your saying. That article is supposed to be about misconceptions about his maturity level, and with what little ink they have of him talking, he's still making excuses. "They said I had like 20 drinks when it was more like two". Come 'aaaaaaaaaaan. Even if you feel you've been misrepresented, just leave it in the past. Less is more. Dude is just constantly running his mouth.

Nothing against the guy personally, I genuinely hope he does well.

duplo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Preds fan here, coming in peace

I know that SOB wasn't the most popular guy in Vancouver at the time he left, but for those that might have liked him, I wanted to give a little update as to how he's been doing in Nashville.

So far...pretty great. He started the year paired with Cody Franson, and was given a strict "stay at home" role to pair with Franson's more free-wheeling offensive game. With the injury to Suter, he graduated up to the second pair with Klein, and at times even the first pair with Weber, and with more responsibility he has played better and better. He's not seeing any PP time, but a heavy amount of PK time. I think, in a way, what he brings on the ice is a better fit for the Preds than what Hamhuis brought, since there were so many similar style defensemen (Suter, Klein), but there was no one to just play a physical, crease clearing style...which is what we've had from SOB thus far.

I know that we were warned about bad penalties and "attitude" issues, but thus far...no problems on either front. I think he's only taken one minor penalty, and had one fight. Trotz has raved about his work ethic and attitude since arriving, despite being admittedly wary about how things went down in Vancouver. Like Kostitsyn coming over from Montreal, the change of scenery really seems to have revitalized him. Most of all, I imagine Jordin Tootoo is glad to finally have a drinking buddy

Anyway, just thought some of you might find that interesting. Good luck on the rest of the season, except when you're playing us
SoB really stepped up his game last season; excellent play. Obviously with the being late for practice, late nights, etc.

The thing I really like about SoB is that he can step up when needed; like last years playoffs he started with what; 8-9 minutes a game? Some injuries happened and he's playing 16-18mins. Still played reasonably well.

Glad to see him working out.

Skead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog bullets View Post
I agree with everything your saying. That article is supposed to be about misconceptions about his maturity level, and with what little ink they have of him talking, he's still making excuses. "They said I had like 20 drinks when it was more like two". Come 'aaaaaaaaaaan. Even if you feel you've been misrepresented, just leave it in the past. Less is more. Dude is just constantly running his mouth.

Nothing against the guy personally, I genuinely hope he does well.
I just think it's funny hearing a professional athlete attribute poor 'genes' for putting on weight. I mean, you're a freaking pro athlete - seems like decent genes to me...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:35 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
SoB really stepped up his game last season; excellent play. Obviously with the being late for practice, late nights, etc.

The thing I really like about SoB is that he can step up when needed; like last years playoffs he started with what; 8-9 minutes a game? Some injuries happened and he's playing 16-18mins. Still played reasonably well.

Glad to see him working out.
This is the thing that also drives me nuts about him. The guy is complacent as hell to go along with being dumb as a nail and immature.

He has all the tools to be a legitimate top 4 defender, but instead he's willing to accept his bottom pairing role, live up the pro athlete party life, and absolutely pick his spots in every way possible on the ice. Then, to make matters worse, when he gets called out on it, he whines and complains and blames everyone but himself. The fact that it's a privilege, not a right, to play in the NHL is totally lost on him, and yet people still somehow wonder why AV had a problem with him.

RobertKron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Awesomesauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
That statement makes little sense. So you're saying the 'Nucks are keeping him around because the Moose are stacked? Since when does the Canucks management care more about the Moose than about their own team? The reason we're keeping him around is because we need him to be able to ice 6 D-Men and not 5.
Maybe you misunderstand me. If we send Parent down he stays for the year, doesn't get the play time that we would want him to get if we were treating him like a project player. I don't think the Canucks care about the moose Defence, but they also don't control the playing time of their players. On top of that who would you want playing less in the minors?

There are also a couple of moose defensemen I would rather have up then Parent, Sweat first among them.

Awesomesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Johnny Canucker

Give him some time, his attitude will shine thru.

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Durr
give me gum gum

Send a message via MSN to Durr
I love his personality, that's what made him not boring.

Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Crows*

Hated obrien When we got him, hate him now. I'm sorry , but sob seems to have a very low iq. He is your stereotypical dumb jock. His hockey iq Is also quite low. Good riddance .

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Hammer79

SOB was in the box when Chicago scored their series winner on the PP in '09. At that moment, I thought 'This was SOB's last game in Vancouver.' When they kept him last year, I was more than mildly surprised. Salary-wise, not much SOB could have done, he accepted his QO. I just don't think he's worth $1.6M, I think he's more 800K - 950K range.

Trade worked out well for both sides, Nashville picked up a D who can play in the NHL now, while Vancouver received a reclamation project with potentially better upside at some point than SOB is at right now.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:53 PM
damesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Hated obrien When we got him, hate him now. I'm sorry , but sob seems to have a very low iq. He is your stereotypical dumb jock. His hockey iq Is also quite low. Good riddance .
He was the nicest player I've met and didn't come across like a "stereotypical dumb jock" at all. What are you even basing that on?

damesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Robert604strom

I miss Shane O`brien,also met him in person. Super nice and friendly guy,and he really added some charactor to the team,only person who had bad words for him was alain and some of the fans.

Robert604strom is offline   Reply With Quote