HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who has stepped up or down with the injuries..

Old
10-25-2010, 03:32 PM
ogie

vCash: 500
The thing that most excites me is how well we have been playing without Gaborik. We have a legit 2nd line with cally/AA/Dubs , once Gabs comes back hopefully him/EC/Frolov can click, and add some more scoring. And when Drury comes back he can anchor a decent third line.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Everyone has stepped up big-time with the injuries to the vets to varying degrees. I dont think this lineup will ever consistently put up big goal totals - in all honesty we are dealing with a lot of plumbers out there, and/or natural talent that is not quite developed - but the current squad certainly works hard. If we continue this type of play, and add a guy that can really snipe like Gaborik again, who knows, maybe we can make some noise.

The two guys who have undoubtedly stepped up the most though? Two guys that dont get too much love around here:

Michal Rozsival and Brandon Dubinsky.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The entire team has stepped up.

Key word there is TEAM.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

prust has shown a lot of sandpaper, remember when jokinen deal went down last year,on the calgary board, fans were pissed they dumped prust, now new york fans know why

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:54 PM
mullichicken25

i also think John Tortorella has stepped up

that might not go over well around here, but its true

he lost his #1 offensive threat and has put his team in the best position to suceed. The team is winning because they are exectuting the game plan damn near flawlessly

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:05 PM
NYROrtsFan

Frolov is the most disappointing...

He brings an aspect in that he's really good on the boards and that offers something the Rangers really don't have outside of Dubinsky. That skill on the boards maintains possession, but it's just not good enough to really warrant a nice contract to come back next year. It's not like he takes the body or does well enough defensively either. Hopefully Torts has Frolov doing more by the end of the year. Torts has a way of getting A LOT out of some people.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:08 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Everyone has stepped up big-time with the injuries to the vets to varying degrees. I dont think this lineup will ever consistently put up big goal totals - in all honesty we are dealing with a lot of plumbers out there, and/or natural talent that is not quite developed - but the current squad certainly works hard. If we continue this type of play, and add a guy that can really snipe like Gaborik again, who knows, maybe we can make some noise.

The two guys who have undoubtedly stepped up the most though? Two guys that dont get too much love around here:

Michal Rozsival and Brandon Dubinsky.
Great post.. I agree most of the team has stepped up. This shows that there is talent on this team where it can compete and win. With Hank in nets and with the depth of this team when healthy, why can't this team be a contender and make a run at the cup?

I know it is early and it is a long season but there is enough talent to compete and win.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Frolov is the most disappointing...

He brings an aspect in that he's really good on the boards and that offers something the Rangers really don't have outside of Dubinsky. That skill on the boards maintains possession, but it's just not good enough to really warrant a nice contract to come back next year. It's not like he takes the body or does well enough defensively either. Hopefully Torts has Frolov doing more by the end of the year. Torts has a way of getting A LOT out of some people.
Hes also playing with complete garbage with Gaborik out.

Give Frolov a break, he'll turn things around - in fact, I dont think hes been that bad to begin with.

Old
10-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Great post.. I agree most of the team has stepped up. This shows that there is talent on this team where it can compete and win. With Hank in nets and with the depth of this team when healthy, why can't this team be a contender and make a run at the cup?

I know it is early and it is a long season but there is enough talent to compete and win.
LOL, yea you definitely took my post several levels upward. When I refer to "compete" and "make some noise" Im talking about comfortably slotting into the 5th-7th spot in the conference - I just feel like the top 4 are already spoken for.

Compete for a cup THIS season? No way. Even with Gaborik, we just simply dont have the depth of top-end talent thats needed to win Lord Stanley's Cup.

In a couple years? If things REALLY break perfectly, then MAYBE this team can compete. And that would include acquiring a true top center like Richards, acquiring a sniper RW capable of 30+ goals, AND have pretty much every one of our prospects developing seamlessly.

...long way to go.

Old
10-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post

he lost his #1 offensive threat and has put his team in the best position to suceed. The team is winning because they are exectuting the game plan damn near flawlessly
This is a very valid point. As much as I think the young core has adjusted to Torts, I think he's adjusted to them. He's a different coach, in both tone, and philosophy than when he first got here. (The high-pressure, aggressive philosophy is roughly the same, but his personal philosophy on how to deal with his players and how to motivate has adapted, in my opinion.) It's a better fit for all parties, right now.

With that said, I see something different in Dubinsky. Call it growth or maturity, or call it whatever you like. But I almost feel like Cally and Dubi are challenging eachother to try to outwork the other. Dubi's performance against the Devils was one of the best never-give-up efforts (outside of Hank) that I've seen by any Ranger in the last few years. He hit EVERYTHING that came near him. Guys that tried to hit him were hit FIRST. He flat out REFUSED to lose a 50/50 puck battle. If he keeps this up, we're in very good shape.

I love the Dubi-Ani-Cally line. They are all so... non-stop. I honestly can't see this line having much of a slump. They're definitely going to to go through stretches where the pucks aren't going in. But I strongly doubt they're going to go through stretches where they aren't working hard and causing turnovers and creating chances. There's too much desire there. Here's to hoping we see this as our 2nd line for the next while.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

That is true.

They are excecuting the gameplan very well.

Everyone is on the same page, everyone believes in the system.

I like the mojo.

I just fear that when Gaborik comes back that they will start deferring to him, too much and become predictable again.

Hopefully, Gaborik comes back and doesn't try to be a superstar. Hopefully he comes back and fits in like just another gear to help the machine.

This game that they're playing now, is what they should always be doing. Timely goals, attacking the puck, jamming the neutral zone, playing as a unit in the defensive zone, and a quick transition. Fighting for eachother, protecting the goaltenders.

Stay with the plan. If a player doesn't fit, get him out. Only have guys that believe in the system and fit the system. Makes them a tough team to play against when everyone is playing for one another and playing for the name on the front not the name on the back.

Drury plays that way anyway, so he won't have a hard time sliding right back into the lineup.

But Gaborik I worry about. Not that he's much of a diva, but still, he's used to being "the man" and the fact is no idividual should be "the man". It should be "my teammate" and "team first" at all times.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:26 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
This is a very valid point. As much as I think the young core has adjusted to Torts, I think he's adjusted to them. He's a different coach, in both tone, and philosophy than when he first got here. (The high-pressure, aggressive philosophy is roughly the same, but his personal philosophy on how to deal with his players and how to motivate has adapted, in my opinion.) It's a better fit for all parties, right now.

With that said, I see something different in Dubinsky. Call it growth or maturity, or call it whatever you like. But I almost feel like Cally and Dubi are challenging eachother to try to outwork the other. Dubi's performance against the Devils was one of the best never-give-up efforts (outside of Hank) that I've seen by any Ranger in the last few years. He hit EVERYTHING that came near him. Guys that tried to hit him were hit FIRST. He flat out REFUSED to lose a 50/50 puck battle. If he keeps this up, we're in very good shape.

I love the Dubi-Ani-Cally line. They are all so... non-stop. I honestly can't see this line having much of a slump. They're definitely going to to go through stretches where the pucks aren't going in. But I strongly doubt they're going to go through stretches where they aren't working hard and causing turnovers and creating chances. There's too much desire there. Here's to hoping we see this as our 2nd line for the next while.
agreed completely... and i am in no way attempting to take anything away from the fantastic effort those dudes have given

just also trying to give a little recognition to Torts

Everyone is on the same page, they're all uniformly exectuing the system. Playing like a well oiled machine for the most part. That starts with coahcing in my opinion and ends with hard work and discipline.

this team wont beat everybody w/o gaborik...but playing like this will def. go a long way

hopefully they can keep up the physical play for the whole season

Old
10-25-2010, 04:30 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Drury plays that way anyway, so he won't have a hard time sliding right back into the lineup.

But Gaborik I worry about. Not that he's much of a diva, but still, he's used to being "the man" and the fact is no idividual should be "the man". It should be "my teammate" and "team first" at all times.
i can understand the concern

but i just dont see gaborik as ever having that kind of attitude.

seemed like a real team first kind of guy....who happened to be a one man team last year

my biggest concern, even though i complimented him here, is that Torts f's things up when he comes back....and the team starts thinking "ok good...i can relax now"

Old
10-25-2010, 04:40 PM
SkerZ
LGR

Is out me or does the Fro try way to many wrap arounds

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:03 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think Prust has been very good.
Agreed. Throwback hockey player. Love his game.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:18 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Let the people attacking me begin, but I noticed Erik Christensen wasn't even listed by the OP, even though he's given plenty of minutes...
I feel bad for Frolov having to play with this guy, I know many of you love him, but he does nothing for me...

I'd like to see Frolov-Stepan-Fedetenko, and let EC center Avery and Prust on the 3rd line

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Leetch66

Just a few thoughts from an old timer...The last 3 Ranger games have been a treat for this long time fan because they played like a TEAM and worked hard . I really like watching AA go to the net with the puck...that's a great trait I hope continues .
If we could just add a guy like Bieska... life in front of Hank would get a whole lot better . He is nasty and other teams know that .Nobody is scared of any of our guys on defense and it is just a matter of time before Hank gets laid out by some jerk . Get Bieska and keep up the great work and we just might find ourselves in the Playoffs...look what Halak did in Montreal last Spring...it's not impossible !
One other thing I notice a lot is that other teams cover our points like crazy on the PP which makes it almost impossible to blast away . It takes FOREVER for any Dman to shoot ! Somehow they are going to have to find a way to get a point man open faster or else get the puck down low and break down the PK guys box. Our PP could be a lot better...Sather should be looking for some new blood to fix the PP coaching aspect on our team .

Keep up the great discussions guys and gals...I enjoy them all .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
It's just you. I welcome Fro's wrap-arounds with open arms. Getting the puck into the crease any way possible is never a bad thing, in my estimation. Throughout his career his play around the net has been a strength of his. We haven't seen a whole lot of it yet, but it's early and I'm anticipating him getting going at some point and showing his strength on the puck as he comes around from behind the net. Wrap arounds lead to confusion and get more players to the front of the net (both offense and defense). That's more of our players to jam a rebound him, and more skates for a puck to bank off. Creating confusion and traffic in front of the other team's net is never a bad thing. Especially when Torts has wanted his players to get the puck to the net from bad angles more than they have in the last 2 years.

Old
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

i like that look much better but would switch prust and feds

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:03 PM
HockeyBurd*

I still can't believe they got Prust in that trade. I don't get it. Then again, I can't believe he has 0 points in 7 games given how hard he plays and how often he makes things happen.

Quote:
What does this mean? I can see it being true if he bypassed quality scoring chances in favor of a lesser quality scoring chance in the form of a wrap around. But how can getting the puck in the crease happen "way too many" times? It can't happen enough for a team this lacking in talent as far as I'm concerned. The more pucks in the crease and the more traffic in front with bodies to bang away at the loose pucks, the better. This sounds to me like blind hating on a guy who isn't doing a whole lot. The end result is you're complaining about some of the very little possitive that he does contribute.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:10 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post

Excellent point

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:23 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
This thread begins and ends with Dubinsky.

Callahan has played like himself, still a really good asset, but has been getting some gift points, ect.

Anisimov looks great, but that had nothing to do with Gabs being out really. He has all season.

Dubi looks like he is leading the team offensively, carrying the load, and even though 2 of his goals are empty netters he has gotten more chances than any other ranger.

Its ironic because I thought i'd be talking more about Frolov at this point.
Yep. And in order to get those empty netters you need to be out there in situations where the coaching staff believes in you to protect the lead and get the win.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:56 PM
SkerZ
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
I still can't believe they got Prust in that trade. I don't get it. Then again, I can't believe he has 0 points in 7 games given how hard he plays and how often he makes things happen.

What does this mean? I can see it being true if he bypassed quality scoring chances in favor of a lesser quality scoring chance in the form of a wrap around. But how can getting the puck in the crease happen "way too many" times? It can't happen enough for a team this lacking in talent as far as I'm concerned. The more pucks in the crease and the more traffic in front with bodies to bang away at the loose pucks, the better. This sounds to me like blind hating on a guy who isn't doing a whole lot. The end result is you're complaining about some of the very little possitive that he does contribute.
It means that he doesn't lift his head to look for a teammate breaking into the slot he tried 4 times the game vs the Bruins. He opted to take a wrap around shot when there where better options

Old
10-25-2010, 10:02 PM
SkerZ
LGR

And theres deff no hate on Frolov I like the price tag and am excited to see him play. Guys a proven scorer all I was saying is id like to see him be more creative.

Old
10-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
And theres deff no hate on Frolov I like the price tag and am excited to see him play. Guys a proven scorer all I was saying is id like to see him be more creative.
He can be creative in the shootout. Fro has had a few nice setups so far but the pucks aren't going in. I'd prefer him to wrap it around and get the puck to the net by any means necessary, rather than throw a forced pass into the slot when it's not really there. The new NHL is all about living and dying by turnovers / transition / puck possession.