HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild snub Martin Havlat after agent complains (Tom Powers)

Old
10-29-2010, 08:41 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Wild snub Martin Havlat after agent complains (Tom Powers)

Now I'm sure everyone else had the same thought that I did last night, which was "how the hell is Tom Powers going to spin the Wild's situation?" Well lo and behold, he went with the "player being punished in lieu of his agent's outburst" angle. Despite a 2-1 victory over the reigning Presidents Trophy winners and the world's most dynamic player in town, we're still talking about Martin Havlat being "punished." And it gets better.

In usual Powers style, everyone is wrong. Havlat is wrong for being the "biggest mistake in the Chuck Fletcher era" and not scoring (apparently Cam Barker is out of the doghouse). Richards is wrong for not giving into Walsh's demands despite the chemistry Havlat has with Cullen and the fact that Richards played him for seventeen minutes. Kobasew is wrong for just being the player who took over for a sick Mittens (who I'm sure has to be blamed for being sick). And of course Walsh is wrong for being an agent, discussing this in public and past transgressions. In fact, really the only person who is right in this babble is Tom Powers for having a forty-eight minute conversation seven years ago with Walsh and it being the start of some apparent one-sided grudge.

In conclusion, it's fun to rip Tom Powers articles much like he rips on people and while I'm sure this would have been better if it wasn't the first thing I did this morning there's little based on fact in his writings. That's just the role of a shock journalist or someone who wrote an article from three quotes.

Oh p.s. article's here. I hate to give the man hits since it's what he wants, but in that case Mr. Powers wins.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Kari Takko

It's your fault for caring what Tom Powers thinks. :-)

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:20 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

As far as Minnesota media goes, unless it's from a beat writer I don't read it. This town has great beat guys and utter crap everywhere else.

I'm not going to do Powers the pleasure of clicking the link.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:22 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
It's your fault for caring what Tom Powers thinks. :-)
Yes but it's a lot of fun to try to write your own half-ass Tom Powers article in ten minutes.

Old
10-29-2010, 10:52 AM
BigT2002

How does someone like that get paid seriously??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I actually made joke about this during the GDT when I saw Havlat on the PP with Clutterbuck, Nystrom and Schultz (and Burns I think).

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:41 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Not sure if anyone notice this from Russo's blog...

Quote:
Lastly, one issue that we'll have to pay attention to is the way Martin Havlat is accepted by his teammates since the article the other day. He didn't exactly ingratiate himself to some teammates with his agent's comments. Some players I know for a fact weren't happy, and today, captain Mikko Koivu absolutely cursed him out for about 30 seconds on the bench during practice.

Havlat didn't want to talk about it, but apparently Koivu slammed the door and dropped a bunch of water bottles. Havlat told him to pick them up. Havlat and Koivu confirmed this. Koivu picked up the water bottles, all right, but the entire time he launched into Havlat while the winger sat on the bench and Koivu was preparing for a drill from the ice. Koivu said it was no big deal. But this was not just a normal practice incident, trust me.
Not good if Havlat's pissing off the Captain!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:46 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It works for me. That's actually what should happen because a message from Koivu means more than a message from Richards and it's good to see the captain actually embrace his role as a leader.

Old
10-29-2010, 08:03 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Oh, I love the fire from the Captain, not so much the Havlat pissing him off part. Havlat has been around long enough to know better IMO.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:25 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

The columnists in this town are just dreadful.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:46 PM
State of Hockey

If there ever was a misleading topic post, this is it. Gopher, if you're going to make a point, at least make the correct quote. "Biggest mistake" is nowhere to be found in that writing. I see "biggest disappointment", and how can that be argued against.

Powers is arguably the best non-beat sports writer in town, and these articles are why.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:55 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Hey you got the point!

Old
10-30-2010, 04:13 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Not sure if anyone notice this from Russo's blog...

Not good if Havlat's pissing off the Captain!
Dude he's Finnish. Those ppl NEVER get mad.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:57 AM
melinko

I'm happy Koivu did something and it means the most coming from him, but I hope it doesn't cause Havlat to stop trying.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
If there ever was a misleading topic post, this is it. Gopher, if you're going to make a point, at least make the correct quote. "Biggest mistake" is nowhere to be found in that writing. I see "biggest disappointment", and how can that be argued against.

Powers is arguably the best non-beat sports writer in town, and these articles are why.
Don't see how its misleading...unless Gopher changed the title already. The Wild did snub, according to the article, Havlat from the open space alongside Koivu and Brunette

I don't like Powers but this article seems fine. Havlat = disappointment? Yes. Walsh = tool? Yes. Thats all Powers said and I agree with that

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote