HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton - Ottawa

Old
10-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
what? that's not true at all
Yeah I can't believe an oilers fan just wrote that. MPS has actually been pretty invisible and theres actually a crazy thread on the oilers forum talking about sending him down.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:46 PM
MoreGore

One of the things that makes a trade like this possible is the ELC. They get paid similar bucks, so the cap hit works.

Both teams love their prospects, but both teams lack prospect balance, so it actually makes sense.

Fun to chew the fat on this sorta stuff.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:48 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Averaged 25 minutes in the playoffs.

This guys a bust.

Also...MPS>Eberle.

Give it time. Magnus Paajarvi has the ability to take over a game just by using his physical aspect of the game. Once he develops properly in the NHL it's going to be on a more consistent basis giving defense man nightmares.
25 minutes in the playoffs and how did that go for him? -4? You act as though he was some keystone to a playoff winning squad, when he hasn't even won a playoff series.

Get real.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:48 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Yeah I can't believe an oilers fan just wrote that. MPS has actually been pretty invisible and theres actually a crazy thread on the oilers forum talking about sending him down.
Well maybe I was over exaggerating a bit, it doesn't help that he's stuck with Stone Hands Cogs.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:49 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
25 minutes in the playoffs and how did that go for him? -4? You act as though he was some keystone to a playoff winning squad, when he hasn't even won a playoff series.

Get real.
He was fantastic all series long. No need to look at stats to see that.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:52 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
He has the potential to be an 1000 point player? Alfie is 38 and is still a legit 1st line winger. How good do you expect Eberle to be?

I really agree though that Eberle is underrated. He has 1st line potential and after watching him in the dub, world juniors and in an oilers jersey I firmly believe he will be a 70+ point scorer. Why MSP is widely reguarded as a better prospect is beyond me.
Oilers fans have a size complex.

More than a few Oilers posters have stated that he is a better prospect than Hall. It's crazy how the fan base as a whole has kept very reasonable (even too low) expectations for Hall and Eberle while talking about Paajarvi like he's the second coming. He may be the most overrated prospect in the world.

I would trade Magnus for Karlsson in a second. No deal with Eberle though.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:53 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:

Get real.
I believe he was assigned to shut down Malkin, very pressuring for a guy with flaws defensively and a rookie in the 1st round against the cup champs. He did quite well.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

delete.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:04 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGore View Post
Karlsson for Eberle

Edmonton needs defensemen, Ottawa needs a scorer. Seems like a reasonable match.
Ottawa would need a Top-4 D-man if we did that. I don't believe that you're solving a problem, just creating new ones.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Akonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
Well maybe I was over exaggerating a bit, it doesn't help that he's stuck with Stone Hands Cogs.
He's played his last couple games with Horcoff and Eberle and he's looked alright. Hall's best game came on a line with stone hands himself.

Linemates aren't the issue here.

Akonite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:14 PM
RStar*

Quote:
I believe he was assigned to shut down Malkin, very pressuring for a guy with flaws defensively and a rookie in the 1st round against the cup champs. He did quite well.
Fair enough, and I don't disagree, but he's being talked about by some Sens fans like hes already a bonafide #1 D man and everyone is complaining that Eberle and MPS aren't proven. Bottom line is Karlsson hasn't even played a full season yet Eberle and MPS are unproven rookies, while Karlsson is some #1 D man who still has world beating potential?

The hypocrisy in this thread is mind numbing.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:27 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

I'd turn the trade down from an Oilers perspective. I like the forward group we have here, and I want them to grow together as a team. Besides, we'll get our franchise defenseman this summer in Adam Larsson .

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Vdhawan89
Connor McMagic

Quote:

More than a few Oilers posters have stated that he is a better prospect than Hall. It's crazy how the fan base as a whole has kept very reasonable (even too low) expectations for Hall and Eberle while talking about Paajarvi like he's the second coming. He may be the most overrated prospect in the world.

Ive hundred percent sure that nobody said Magnus is a better prospect then Hall. Maybe they said he will score more points than Hall in his ROOKIE season, but noone said he is a better prospect than Hall

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Fair enough, and I don't disagree, but he's being talked about by some Sens fans like hes already a bonafide #1 D man and everyone is complaining that Eberle and MPS aren't proven. Bottom line is Karlsson hasn't even played a full season yet Eberle and MPS are unproven rookies, while Karlsson is some #1 D man who still has world beating potential?

The hypocrisy in this thread is mind numbing.
Actually, most Senators fans took issue with the argument MPS was better than Karlsson on the grounds Karlsson has proven something - even if it is only a small sample.

I can count on 1 hand the number of impact defensemen in the game who are under 21.

Can you do better? Forwards break into the league at 18-19 much more frequently then defensemen, because there's less responsibilities on them.

I compared Karlsson earlier in this thread to Duncan Keith, because they're both effortless skaters. They both have the ability to play an unbelievable positional game. I could criticized - because Keith just won the Norris.

What people don't realize? Keith is 27. He made the NHL as a 22 year old - after 2 seasons in the AHL where he basically did 0.25 PPG.

In the NHL, he did 21, 31, 32, 44 and then 69 points.

There is no question Keith is an ALL WORLD defenseman, and Karlsson would be very fortunate to become Keith one day... but Karlsson - as a 19 year old - put up 26 points in 60 games; and 6 points in 6 playoff games. He also - for those keeping score at home - put up 11 points in 12 games in the AHL when he was sent down.

Are Sens fans overly high on him? Maybe. Will he reach his potential? Who knows.

However, there is no doubting this kid is a special prospect. You don't trade players like that; because it doesn't matter what the return is - if the player becomes a superstar you look like a jack ass.....

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:06 PM
bdp

Nah...but you can have Cowen though. Pitlick please?

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
Duncan Keith just won the Norris trophy. I don't think Karlsson has the potential to be as good all-around as Keith is.

I say Tomas Kaberle because it seems like Karlsson will be more of a set-up guy than a goal-scorer, which Kaberle is. Kaberle is a great offensive d-man but not one of the top d-man goal scorers like Weber or Boyle, etc.

and who knows what his ceiling is, he could become any current d-man, but I was just using Kaberle as my example.
Duncan Keith didn't have Norris potential when he was 20 either, hardly had it at 22 either.

The fact is, Karlsson remains less physically mature than players like Mike Green, Duncan Keith, Dan Boyle when they broke in after years in the AHL yet he's doing it now...and did it at a very high level for the last 20 games of the season last year...putting up around a point per game. And to say he projects to be a set up guy is selling him short, some of the goals he's scored display high end scoring potential....it's hard to find a weakness in his game from the offensive zone in...when he's confident, this is why I say wait a couple years before he turns into a man.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
Nah...but you can have Cowen though. Pitlick please?
Yeah let's trade the big guy who has a PPG in the WHL right now and is the best defensive defenseman in the WHL. Get real.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

I agree totally with MPS being a little overrated, that 4 point debut in the pre-season on top of a real solid WJC really made people think this guy was it. After watching him several times this year, it seems like he lacks a certain fluidity that Hall and Eberle have in much higher doses, he's more north/south and seems lessed polished. It wouldn't surprise me if he turned into one of those 30-35 goal guys that continuously falls short....but he'll have all the tools to be a really nice player.

Like I said, there's no way I'd trade Karlsson for him...Eberle would make me think. It's hard to judge where Karlsson could get but the ceiling is very high depending on how his body develops by the age of 23-24. What we know about Karlsson is skill level will not be what keeps him achieving elite status, he already shows many elite qualities. He needs to learn how to use it.

I do agree with the guy that thinks Eberle's ceiling is elite though, he's been so impressive and the hockey sense he's got is just something you don't teach. He's shown the ability to use his quick release and he's shown he can dish and dish to the right places. He's 20 years old and he takes control on the ice...could hit 60 points this year.

Old
10-25-2010, 11:51 PM
OneSharpMarble

No thanks from Edm, players like Eberle don't just fall into your lap. The kid is special and that forward corp needs to grow together.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 01:51 PM
SDig14

Is this an actual Sens rumour? Tambo turned down Eberle for the 4th overall last summer at the draft, I doubt he would trade him for Karlsson....even though I like EK quite a bit....we have more need for a shutdown guy though

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Is this an actual Sens rumour? Tambo turned down Eberle for the 4th overall last summer at the draft, I doubt he would trade him for Karlsson....even though I like EK quite a bit....we have more need for a shutdown guy though
Rumour is he called about Karlsson, which isn't hard to believe. What would be hard to believe is if he offered up anything better than a package including Cogliano + Omark and 2nd round pick. Ottawa would obviously ask for one of the big 3...IMO MPS wouldn't make it happen, Hall is an obvious no, and Eberle although the value seems close right now....Eberle's already too beloved in Edmonton while the same goes for Karlsson in Ottawa but to a lesser extent.

Old
10-26-2010, 05:23 PM
reginaoil

Quote:
Wait Karlsson is being labeled as a young stud #1 d-man but MPS is a 3rd liner at best?
If I knew how I'd make this my sig and keep it there for years to come because it would make me laugh everyday.

reginaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:04 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Rumour is he called about Karlsson, which isn't hard to believe. What would be hard to believe is if he offered up anything better than a package including Cogliano + Omark and 2nd round pick. Ottawa would obviously ask for one of the big 3...IMO MPS wouldn't make it happen, Hall is an obvious no, and Eberle although the value seems close right now....Eberle's already too beloved in Edmonton while the same goes for Karlsson in Ottawa but to a lesser extent.
He was probably offering Khabby and Souray. That's fair, isn't it?

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:23 PM
NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬

vCash: 50
I'd honestly keep Hallsy, Paajarvi & Ebs over Karlsson any day of the week

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!