HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Babcock to maybe break up BFF line this week

Old
10-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Filppula
Jurks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom
Filppula - Modano - Franzen
Hudler - Helm - Bertuzzi
Cleary - Abdelkader - Eaves
Risky, but I actually quite like this.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Roy S

If anything, I think he'll probably drop Bert down a line and put him with Modano-Cleary and give Hudler a shot with Flip and Franzen.

Or, they bump up Cleary to the 2nd line and drop Bert down to the 3rd line with Mo-Hudler. Helm's line is getting a lot of defensive zone faceoffs and I can't imagine that they want Hudler to be put in a lot of those situations, so I don't know if they'll consider putting him on the 4th line consistently. If they do, whoever displaced him on the 3rd line (be it Eaves, Miller or Abdelkader) could take those draws and they could just give Hudler the offensive zone draws when they plan to send the 3rd line out there. That would cause a lot of line juggling but I guess it is one alternative if they elected to have him split time between the 3rd and 4th line. He'd be getting a lot of offensive zone draws with Mo and Bert and then on regular line changes, he'd play regular shifts with Helm against the other teams worse players.

If they bumped Cleary to the 2nd line, then I'd think that Bert would take over his role and fill in occasionally for Homer on the top line. I also imagine that they want to get Abdelkader in a game here pretty soon.

Last edited by Roy S: 10-25-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
What is TLO and who is the light-in-the-loafers guy in the suit?
Your Dad.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom
Filppula - Modano - Franzen
Hudler - Helm - Bertuzzi
Cleary - Abdelkader - Eaves

How do you justify cutting down Cleary's IT? He's been been better than his two linemates!

Old
10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
If anything, I think he'll probably drop Bert down a line and put him with Modano-Cleary and give Hudler a shot with Flip and Franzen.

Or, they bump up Cleary to the 2nd line and drop Bert down to the 3rd line with Mo-Hudler. Helm's line is getting a lot of defensive zone faceoffs and I can't imagine that they want Hudler to be put in a lot of those situations, so I don't know if they'll consider putting him on the 4th line consistently. If they do, whoever displaced him on the 3rd line (be it Eaves, Miller or Abdelkader) could take those draws and they could just give Hudler the offensive zone draws when they plan to send the 3rd line out there. That would cause a lot of line juggling but I guess it is one alternative if they elected to have him split time between the 3rd and 4th line. He'd be getting a lot of offensive zone draws with Mo and Bert and then on regular line changes, he'd play regular shifts with Helm against the other teams worse players.

If they bumped Cleary to the 2nd line, then I'd think that Bert would take over his role and fill in occasionally for Homer on the top line. I also imagine that they want to get Abdelkader in a game here pretty soon.
I think this is the most likely scenario, because flip hudler have good chemistry and have worked before, and I believe the 3 of them use to play as a line when all of them were on the bottom 6 3 years ago or so. Also, the switch adds a different element to the 3rd line by giving them Bertuzzi's size.

Though I really would rather just keep the BFF line together because they are playing so well right now. I don't want to see another situation where we split D and Z when there really was no need to in 08-09, and we are winning right now, so I see no reason to switch up what has arguably been our best line.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Datsyuk2Zetterberg

Get Huds in top 6!

Datsyuk2Zetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
ProPAIN
Playoffs! NOW!!

Quote:
I'm all for keeping status quo while we're winning, but what's the alternative? If the 3rd line simply doesn't work, we can't just get rid of them and replace them with some players who might.
I rather he mess around with the 3rd and 4th line. Maybe have Abdelkader in the equation. Bert and Franzen are on a great streak and we need to ride that out as long as we can. Flip is also benefiting from their great form. I think give this line combination a couple more games and if it is still not producing then go for the switches.

I know we want 3 (or even 4) scoring lines, but it's not like it's our 1st or 2nd line that is not producing. It's our 3rd line who play less minutes anyways.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:08 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Your Dad.
Which one?

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 10:31 PM
TheOtherOne

For the record I think this is a terrible idea. I'd prefer straight up scratching Modano to breaking up a top 6 that is really getting some chemistry.

That being said, if it works I will be overjoyed.

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:00 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
How do you justify cutting down Cleary's IT? He's been been better than his two linemates!
Cleary is one of those players who always looks better than he is. And he's never been able to take advantage of talent when he's played on skilled top lines. Hes going to be the same player he is, no matter what line hes on. Hes probably had more diversity of linemates, roles, and on-ice situations than any other player on the team, and he'll still be the same player.

The real problem with the 2nd line is Modano-Hudler. Hudler would've been a great fit for Modano about 10 years ago, when he was fast and defensively responsible. But hes neither now, and whats worse is his playmaking and passing ability has been non-existant thus far.

Hudler, on the other hand, has been creating plenty of chances without a lot of space in the offensive zone. Again, in the offensive zone. Hes been questionable at best in all other zones. But hes still exhibiting the skill and offensive presence that hes always shown when hes in the zone, particularly in the slot.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Cleary is one of those players who always looks better than he is. And he's never been able to take advantage of talent when he's played on skilled top lines. Hes going to be the same player he is, no matter what line hes on. Hes probably had more diversity of linemates, roles, and on-ice situations than any other player on the team, and he'll still be the same player.

The real problem with the 2nd line is Modano-Hudler. Hudler would've been a great fit for Modano about 10 years ago, when he was fast and defensively responsible. But hes neither now, and whats worse is his playmaking and passing ability has been non-existant thus far.

Hudler, on the other hand, has been creating plenty of chances without a lot of space in the offensive zone. Again, in the offensive zone. Hes been questionable at best in all other zones. But hes still exhibiting the skill and offensive presence that hes always shown when hes in the zone, particularly in the slot.
Two pronged Hudler thread ftw.

Where are these offensive chances he's creating? I guess I'm just missing all of them.

Old
10-25-2010, 11:03 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherOne View Post
For the record I think this is a terrible idea. I'd prefer straight up scratching Modano to breaking up a top 6 that is really getting some chemistry.

That being said, if it works I will be overjoyed.
Modano, IMO, has been the worst forward on the ice. And it pains me to say that, because I really want to see him do well.

I would not at all be opposed to swapping Modano and Helm for a game or two as an experiment. Miller and Eaves can do more than compensate for Modano in a checking role, and Helm with Cleary could do the dirty work in the offensive zone while Hudler can create the plays.

Old
10-25-2010, 11:10 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Two pronged Hudler thread ftw.

Where are these offensive chances he's creating? I guess I'm just missing all of them.
I guess you are. Hudler has made several good plays in the slot and particularly around the net. I can almost guarantee that I watch Hudler more closely than others - undoubtedly yourself included - in order to be prepared for the Hudler bashing that is undoubtedly going to ensue from seven fruitless games.

Unfortunately, I don't think Hudler is anymore physically prepared than he was 2 seasons ago and his defense is still suspect at best. However, since I'm expounding on my other hypersensitive Hudler observations, I'd also like to point out that Hudler has become adept at using the boards to bank the puck off of when entering the zone.

Old
10-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I guess you are. Hudler has made several good plays in the slot and particularly around the net. I can almost guarantee that I watch Hudler more closely than others - undoubtedly yourself included - in order to be prepared for the Hudler bashing that is undoubtedly going to ensue from seven fruitless games.

Unfortunately, I don't think Hudler is anymore physically prepared than he was 2 seasons ago and his defense is still suspect at best. However, since I'm expounding on my other hypersensitive Hudler observations, I'd also like to point out that Hudler has become adept at using the boards to bank the puck off of when entering the zone.
Fair enough. I just wish the plays were so subtle. I still expect him to score at least 55 points this year.

Old
10-25-2010, 11:19 PM
SayNoToStim

am I missing these wonderful hudler plays or are you just making stuff up?

He's got 2 assists and is at like -6. On a team that is 5-1-1, -6 is a sign that he's doing something wrong.

also TLO is a noob.

SayNoToStim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 11:53 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayNoToStim View Post
also TLO is a noob.
Ah. A Starcraft 2 nerd who pushes buttons quickly. Good for him. No surprise he is Heaton's hero.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl

Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
I don't like the idea to moving Bertuzzi away from Franzen and Filppula. I'd prefer if Babcock tried moving Eaves or Helm up to the third line, and maybe moved Cleary down to the 4th line. I don't know. I just hate to see the chemistry line 2 has be removed. Bert especially has had such a great start, it'll be disappointing if he is moved and then his production drops.

But, Bert does have a lot of assists. He can maybe help two of those three guys hit the back of the net.

I think he will suffer without Franzen on his line.

Kyleftlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 02:38 AM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Anyway, I am in favor of a Hudler-Filppula-Franzen line. The three of them played together for a while, I think during the 2008 (2007?) playoffs, and I thought they looked good together.

That leaves Bertuzzi-Modano-Cleary as the third line, assuming the fourth line stays together.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:05 AM
Henkka

Change the centers.

Bertuzzi - Modano - Franzen
Hudler - Filppula - Cleary

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:47 AM
FissionFire

I'm with Fugu and Henkka.....you flip the centers. No way do you break up Bertuzzi and Franzen. Those two have been beasts together this season and the end of last year. Let Hudler and Flip work their magic on the 3rd line and see if the two monster wingers can spark Modano. Considering Bertuzzi's penchant for passing and Modano's ability to find soft spots around the circles it could be a pretty dynamite combination.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:59 AM
Heaton
#hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Ah. A Starcraft 2 nerd who pushes buttons quickly. Good for him. No surprise he is Heaton's hero.
I'll make a beautiful chili out or you jealousy.

Old
10-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
I'm with Fugu and Henkka.....you flip the centers. No way do you break up Bertuzzi and Franzen. Those two have been beasts together this season and the end of last year. Let Hudler and Flip work their magic on the 3rd line and see if the two monster wingers can spark Modano. Considering Bertuzzi's penchant for passing and Modano's ability to find soft spots around the circles it could be a pretty dynamite combination.
Doesn't really seem fair though does it?

Flip has 6 points in 7 games, Modano has 1, and yet you want them switched. I know it's to do with getting more lines clicking, but you're potentially ruining one and getting nothing in return.

I do like Flip and Huds together though, mini EuroTwins.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Heaton
#hope

I wouldn't worry about that, Franzen and Filppula have played together so many times that doing a switch for a while won't affect them.

I still think we should hold serve for a few more games.

Old
10-26-2010, 07:33 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
Doesn't really seem fair though does it?

Flip has 6 points in 7 games, Modano has 1, and yet you want them switched. I know it's to do with getting more lines clicking, but you're potentially ruining one and getting nothing in return.

I do like Flip and Huds together though, mini EuroTwins.
Actually I don't want anything changed. I'm just saying if Babcock is going to make a change, that's the best choice imo.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:45 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Hey Babcock.

**** you.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote