HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Babcock to maybe break up BFF line this week

Old
10-26-2010, 09:28 AM
8snake

vCash: 500
On what planet is Modano even close to being capable of centering a 2nd line against #3 and #4 defensemen? No disrespect to those who say move Modano up with Franzen and Bertuzzi, but IMO that's ignoring how Modano looks right now....which is frankly every bit of 40 years old. I agree with the other (although unlikely) scenario where Modano is just scratched or moved to wing and Abs centers the 3rd line. The Stars thought Modano was done and we thought playing here would rejuvenate him...right now the Stars are right.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post
On what planet is Modano even close to being capable of centering a 2nd line against #3 and #4 defensemen? No disrespect to those who say move Modano up with Franzen and Bertuzzi, but IMO that's ignoring how Modano looks right now....which is frankly every bit of 40 years old. I agree with the other (although unlikely) scenario where Modano is just scratched or moved to wing and Abs centers the 3rd line. The Stars thought Modano was done and we thought playing here would rejuvenate him...right now the Stars are right.
This is my concern too. Moving Filppula down severely hurts the matchup game.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 09:53 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Maybe the Wings gotta split up Datsyuk and Z....

Bertuzzi Datsyuk Franzen
Hudler Zetterberg Holmer
Modano Filppula Cleary
Helm Abs Eaves

In having Datsyuk and Z split up, does it still concern you that Filppula being a 3rd line center, hurts the matchup game? I would think the opposite. It would be an upgrade right now bc Modano should be on the wing.

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 09:57 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testament View Post
As long as DZH is untouched, I'm fine with this. Especially if Jimbo's lines are used...I like Helm on that third line.
Yeah, me too, minus the "H" though.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:00 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
What is TLO and who is the light-in-the-loafers guy in the suit?
Starcraft II, son. Get with the times.

Quote:
Ah. A Starcraft 2 nerd who pushes buttons quickly. Good for him. No surprise he is Heaton's hero.
Nevermind, you knew what it was. SC2, not my thing, but its the biggest selling PC game of 2010 by a wide margin.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 10:45 AM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post

Bertuzzi Datsyuk Franzen
Hudler Zetterberg Holmer
Modano Filppula Cleary
Helm Abs Eaves

In having Datsyuk and Z split up, does it still concern you that Filppula being a 3rd line center, hurts the matchup game? I would think the opposite. It would be an upgrade right now bc Modano should be on the wing.
**** no.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
breaking up your "best line" right now is going to severely hurt the offense and matchup game too. I personally think its stupid. You got your top 6 rolling right now, dont mess with it. Alter the bottom 6 and see what happens. We're winning, why mess with something that's helping you win?

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
breaking up your "best line" right now is going to severely hurt the offense and matchup game too. I personally think its stupid. You got your top 6 rolling right now, dont mess with it. Alter the bottom 6 and see what happens. We're winning, why mess with something that's helping you win?
While I agree since we're winning there's less need to do anything, I think the mindset is that to continue winning we need our 3rd line players producing.

Old
10-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post

Hey, don't get mad at us. Holland thought it was a good idea to sign him, and Babs wants to "get him going."

Old
10-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Howard35

Quote:
While I agree since we're winning there's less need to do anything, I think the mindset is that to continue winning we need our 3rd line players producing.
Having a third line rolling will be pointless if the other two dont get it going with the new lines..

Old
10-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Having a third line rolling will be pointless if the other two dont get it going with the new lines..
That would be the worst case scenario, yes. Although I find it highly suspicious that the end result would be a 3rd line producing and a top 6 doing nothing.

Old
10-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Howard35

Hey lets hold off on the Modano thing for now. Why whine about a signing when its less then 10 games into the season...

Think tampa is *****ing about gagne being 0 pts and -8? Probably a lot less then we are *****ing about Modano.

Old
10-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Originally Posted by Huddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
**** no.
ok...seeing as if its a viable option which has been done before..An explanation would be key, other than a f no...

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:30 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Hey lets hold off on the Modano thing for now. Why whine about a signing when its less then 10 games into the season...

Think tampa is *****ing about gagne being 0 pts and -8? Probably a lot less then we are *****ing about Modano.
Most people aren't complaining about a signing. They're complaining about a player not playing well, contract be damned.

Modano is not playing well right now. There could be any number of reasons for that. But if the purpose of breaking up lines is to see if we can get the third line going, why not figure where the problem lies in the 3rd line?

I think one way to start would be to swap Modano and Helm. It serves multiple purposes: 1) It wakes up Modano, and yet not to the detriment of the 4th line - Eaves and Miller are more than capable of compensating for Modano's shortcomings if need be. 2) It gives Helm a chance to play with more talented guys and could serve as a barometer for whether or not this guy will be able to use skilled linemates to his advantage. 3) It gives the third line more defensive awareness and responsibility 4) Helm's speed would compensate for Hudler's (and be a huge upgrade over Modano's skating at this stage of his career) and the 2 less skilled yet more complete players in Cleary and Helm could do the board work while Hudler could quarterback the plays in the offensive zone.

To me, this is one experiment that would give the coaching staff a good idea about where the problems lie with Cleary/Modano/Hudler and yet wouldn't cause us to break up our 2 most important lines.

And then if these less radical line changes don't fix anything, you can go to the (ludicrous) move of breaking up our strongest line.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:

Heh. Well he's here now!

It is going to take him a while to learn this system. He's already commented that he has more skating to do here than he ever had to put in in Dallas. Maybe he's forgotten what it's like to play for Hitch, but yeah, Mike is used to a North-South game, and some cherry picking. Plus all these guys are new to each other as linemates. Sure, Cleary and Hudler played some together, but Hudler was gone all of last year.

Old
10-26-2010, 12:53 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
It is going to take him a while to learn this system. He's already commented that he has more skating to do here than he ever had to put in in Dallas. Maybe he's forgotten what it's like to play for Hitch, but yeah, Mike is used to a North-South game, and some cherry picking. Plus all these guys are new to each other as linemates. Sure, Cleary and Hudler played some together, but Hudler was gone all of last year.
a first step though would be if he'd move his lazy ass. his backchecking looks like bertuzzi. (while bertuzzi looks like a selke nominee so far )

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:22 PM
waltdetroit

Quote:
Just put Abby in for Mo for a few

waltdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 05:40 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
Originally Posted by Huddy

ok...seeing as if its a viable option which has been done before..An explanation would be key, other than a f no...
You want to break up Datsyuk and Z when they are clearly finding their 08 chemistry? They aren't at that level, but some of the plays in the recent games were ridiculous. Why break up a strong line because your third scoring line isn't producing...yet. The scenario for the moment is:

- We keep things how it is and ride the hot streak the 1st and 2nd lines are on (less risk)

- We break up the lines and hope that starts producing from the first game (nearly no chance that happens)

As I said before, I'll take 2 strong scoring lines and a third line that is on a cold streak instead of breaking 2 or 3 lines and getting **** all for a few games.

Old
10-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Mount Royal
Achtung, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Yeah, me too, minus the "H" though.
Thought about that, but is he useful anywhere else?

The more I think about it though, the less I like breaking up the second line. Such is how Babs works though. I expected it at some point, and again, I'm alright with it as long as he doesn't mess with the chemistry building between Dats and Z (with Homer's support).

Mount Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom
Filppula - Modano - Franzen
Hudler - Helm - Bertuzzi
Cleary - Abdelkader - Eaves
I like the first two, but that third line will get scored on even more now. Maybe switch Helm and Cleary.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 07:22 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konnan511 View Post
I like the first two, but that third line will get scored on even more now. Maybe switch Helm and Cleary.
And then the 3rd line has no centers.

Old
10-27-2010, 04:50 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
I'll make a beautiful chili out or you jealousy.
Is this on par with TLO's spelling and grammar or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Starcraft II, son. Get with the times.

Nevermind, you knew what it was. SC2, not my thing, but its the biggest selling PC game of 2010 by a wide margin.
Actually, I didn't know who he was at first, had to look it up. Several years ago I probably would have been one of the people who got that game upon release, but I'm not a big gamer these days. I'll pick it up eventually.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 05:01 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
He's already commented that he has more skating to do here than he ever had to put in in Dallas.
I keep thinking of this and wonder if part of Modano's problem is that he's just fat. "Fat" not necessarily being overweight, but maybe out-of-shape or poorly conditioned. He might just be abit of a jelly belly. The Jelly Belly. If so, hopefully he can rectify that over time. For now, though, we've got Round Robin Rafalski, Dirtbag Kronwall, and The Jelly Belly.

I'm in favor of giving that 3rd line some more games, but if nothing changes, I'd like to see Modano benched, accomplished veteran status be damned. Plug in Abdelkader and give that a go. Leave the other lines alone. I don't expect that to happen though.

Old
10-27-2010, 07:46 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Is this on par with TLO's spelling and grammar or something?
It's a word jumble, I'm not surprised you failed at solving it.

Old
10-27-2010, 08:02 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Quote:
It's a word jumble, I'm not surprised you failed at solving it.
The fact that you think I didn't solve it just shows how far behind TLO you really are.