HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Thomas

Old
10-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Seguins Dragon*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda28 View Post
I'm still upset we didn't pass on Leights and pull the trigger on the Thomas / + for Carter deal.
huh??

Link??

Source??

Never heard that, couldn't see Carter coming to Boston, we have tonnes of centers

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:43 AM
JMiller

Quote:
According to the NHL, Thomas on Thursday became the first goaltender in league history to win his first five games and not give up more than one goal in any start.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...ng_cap/?page=2

JMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 06:24 AM
birddog*

Thomas is playing lights out, and has some serious value, but it is negated by the 35+ contract, NM clause, and his age.

While there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't love to have Thomas this year, even at 5 mil, it's probably the last two years of that deal that scare the hell out of them.

You can't just build a team for this year, and if Thomas gets injured next year - or has the one good year, one bad year - his 5 million dollar contract becomes a boat anchor. You can't move him or demote him at that point.

So any deal hinges on a GM thinking that Thomas will be healthy for the next 3 years and play well. Those 35+ deals are tough. You don't see many big/long 35+ deals anymore. You'll probably see lots less of them in the future. GM's make deals now to increase cap flexibility and room. It's rare a deal is made now where a GM will take on a big long term salary of an older player.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 06:32 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUICEY View Post
He has played 4 games. My God.

He has a horrible contract for his production last year. No one will want him especially when the market for goalies is horrible. They could wait and sign just as good a goalie in free agency for about half the price.
He had the 15th best stats and was the 14th highest paid goaltender? That doesn't seem all that bad to me.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 07:06 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Thomas is playing lights out, and has some serious value, but it is negated by the 35+ contract, NM clause, and his age.

While there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't love to have Thomas this year, even at 5 mil, it's probably the last two years of that deal that scare the hell out of them.

You can't just build a team for this year, and if Thomas gets injured next year - or has the one good year, one bad year - his 5 million dollar contract becomes a boat anchor. You can't move him or demote him at that point.

So any deal hinges on a GM thinking that Thomas will be healthy for the next 3 years and play well. Those 35+ deals are tough. You don't see many big/long 35+ deals anymore. You'll probably see lots less of them in the future. GM's make deals now to increase cap flexibility and room. It's rare a deal is made now where a GM will take on a big long term salary of an older player.
The cap hit is 5 mil, but in real dollars he will be making 3 mil/year for the last two years of the deal.

Old
10-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
The cap hit is 5 mil, but in real dollars he will be making 3 mil/year for the last two years of the deal.
You are wrong:

year 1 - $6M
year 2 - $6M
year 3 - $5M
year 4 - $3M

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:28 PM
bonzaibondra12

Unless Neuvy gets hurt, the Caps don't need an expensive goalie.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 02:47 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
You are wrong:

year 1 - $6M
year 2 - $6M
year 3 - $5M
year 4 - $3M
You are right.

Old
10-30-2010, 02:52 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

his value will never be higher then it is now. If the Bruins truly want to free up some cap space and get a great return, now would be the time to move Thomas.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:46 PM
bobbyz04

Quote:
Originally Posted by karzanPalani View Post
He has negative value
Ya, I dont even think Thomas can get the playoff soft, puck hogging, Ovechkin lead caps out of the first round.

bobbyz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:22 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
If a contending team loses thier established starter, they'd have to call Boston. Depending on thier situation they might overpay. I think Boston can wait until a desperate offer comes along.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 01:30 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz04 View Post
Ya, I dont even think Thomas can get the playoff soft, puck hogging, Ovechkin lead caps out of the first round.
Not sure what this has to do with Washington. The Capitals have a goaltender. Boston is getting great play out of Thomas, which is excellent news for the Bruins. The Caps have two strong goalies, each making $850K. Neuvirth is signed for two more years at a $1.15M cap hit per season. They're set.

This isn't going to be the player Boston sheds to reach cap compliance when the team gets healthy, I suspect. The contract is difficult for most teams to fit on their rosters, be it due to the cap or their internal budgets.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 02:10 AM
TooMuchMan

Pretty interesting situation unfolding here. Tim Thomas is tearing it up like not many have in hockey history. Its hard to think that after 6 nearly perfect games from the 09 veznia winner would not be a desired trade target.

However we're looking at a serious double-edged sword here, for both the Bruins and any team that might be targeting TT. For the Bruins, the fect that Thomas is playing out of his skull right now makes it much easier to find a taker for his 5 mil cap hit for 2 additional years. But should a trade agreement be reached, is Rask ready to play 60+ games effectively? And who would back him up? If TT continued to light it up in his next destination the B's had better have gotten a good pick/prospect in exchange.

Right now and for the immediate future I can see TT being had for a mid to low first round pick/high second round pick, a mid level prospect or a solid and relatively cheap PMD.

Thomas is unlikely to be moved until near the trade deadline, when the playoff picture/injuries start to show the potential takers. If Thomas is at or near the league leaders in save percentage and gaa, I find it hard to imagine Chia wont be fielding phone calls from teams like Philly, SJ, Wash, TB. If TT is playing out of his mind (thinking some unreasonable GAA 1.7 or lower, .930 svp) they'll keep him for the playoff run and trade him in the offseason.

Fearless Prediction (at the deadline)

Bos trades Tim Thomas and a 4th round pick to SJ for Thomas Greiss and J. Demers (try not to laugh too hard...if I had included Toronto in the deal, Eklund would have given it an automatic e5!)

TooMuchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:10 AM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehWhale View Post
Pretty interesting situation unfolding here. Tim Thomas is tearing it up like not many have in hockey history. Its hard to think that after 6 nearly perfect games from the 09 veznia winner would not be a desired trade target.

However we're looking at a serious double-edged sword here, for both the Bruins and any team that might be targeting TT. For the Bruins, the fect that Thomas is playing out of his skull right now makes it much easier to find a taker for his 5 mil cap hit for 2 additional years. But should a trade agreement be reached, is Rask ready to play 60+ games effectively? And who would back him up? If TT continued to light it up in his next destination the B's had better have gotten a good pick/prospect in exchange.

Right now and for the immediate future I can see TT being had for a mid to low first round pick/high second round pick, a mid level prospect or a solid and relatively cheap PMD.

Thomas is unlikely to be moved until near the trade deadline, when the playoff picture/injuries start to show the potential takers. If Thomas is at or near the league leaders in save percentage and gaa, I find it hard to imagine Chia wont be fielding phone calls from teams like Philly, SJ, Wash, TB. If TT is playing out of his mind (thinking some unreasonable GAA 1.7 or lower, .930 svp) they'll keep him for the playoff run and trade him in the offseason.

Fearless Prediction (at the deadline)

Bos trades Tim Thomas and a 4th round pick to SJ for Thomas Greiss and J. Demers (try not to laugh too hard...if I had included Toronto in the deal, Eklund would have given it an automatic e5!)
Other than the bolded part, this post felt really reasonable.
I personally don't think thomas could net the hypothetical return you listed. Even after that post season of his, Halak still got peanuts and he wasn't on a bad guaranteed 35 contract.

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:00 AM
Parise09*

Un-freakin-believable.

Parise09* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:06 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine to Five View Post
Other than the bolded part, this post felt really reasonable.
I personally don't think thomas could net the hypothetical return you listed. Even after that post season of his, Halak still got peanuts and he wasn't on a bad guaranteed 35 contract.
Halak got a former first round pick that had a very good AHL season last year. That is not peanuts. Eller is not having a great season yet but I really think it is more due to coaching not giving him a chance then his ability. I see Eller as a pretty good top 2 center in a couple years.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 08:20 AM
Fallschirmyager

The funny part is the argument over last season and the summer was that he wasn't playing to his contract and nobody wanted him or his contract. Granted it's only a few games into the season but a lot more teams would consider figuring out a way to fit him in given the way he is playing right now.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

If Thomas keeps putting up great numbers keeps his GAA close to 2.00. A team at the trade deadline if a contender has issues or an injury then in net then i can see a team looking at Thomas. They will look at his contract and see only 2 years left for a vezina contending goalie. With Thomas in nets,the Flyers would have won the cup.The Caps would have beat the Canadiens.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
The funny part is the argument over last season and the summer was that he wasn't playing to his contract and nobody wanted him or his contract. Granted it's only a few games into the season but a lot more teams would consider figuring out a way to fit him in given the way he is playing right now.
Thomas has always been good, no surprise from Boston fans...

But yes, I hate on his contract too

Seguins Dragon* is offline   Reply With Quote