HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Wild - 10/25/10 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Weird that not a single King finished the game a positive plus/minus. .
The bad part of scoring on the PP....

Old
10-26-2010, 10:18 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Poni has REALLY impressed me with his defensive and board play. Tons of hustle and always wants to be the first guy on the puck. He's such a HUGE improvement over Fro in the overall picture. He might not get a ton of points, but he has brought a part of the game that the Kings have been lacking for soooo long.
I'll take Ponikarovsky's physical play over Frolov's puck-possession skills.

Old
10-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Jebus
That boulder?

Lots of positives from this game but a few that really jumped out...

Jack was great.
Drewiske is developing a little bit of an edge.
Loktionov was surprisingly strong on the puck down low.
Didn't know I was such a Matt Greene fan, but the guy has played outstanding since coming back.
Scuderi hasn't made a mistake all season (except for maybe that stupid delay of game penalty).

That Stoll line is great, but they're kind of... I don't know... senile. If they ever start burying their chances, the Kings will greatly improve 5 on 5.

Old
10-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Chazz Reinhold

If anyone wants some entertainment, go watch nhl.com's highlights of the games and pay close attention right at the start. Turn the volume all the way up (as long as you're not at work or around children), and enjoy.

Old
10-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I have watched the Brown hit multiple times and i still cant see contact with the head .
Worse still is that the refereee who called it was actually screened by Brown's body as to the point of contact so there was no way he could see the shoulder on shoulder/chest hit.
I don't know if it is the linesman that made the call but referee obviously blew down the play and then looks towards the linesman and the linesman said something to him, then he points to Brown to go to the dressing room and presumably told him he was thrown out. Either way, both had an obstructed view as Brown's body was shielding the point of contact (the shoulder).

The NHL's new rule is supposed to be about blindside or lateral hits to the head or if that was the intended target. One can easily say that 1) the head wasn't hit and 2) presumably wasn't the target of the hit because Brown went out of his way to come from the front. I don't understand how a player can turn his body to shoot and then all of a sudden not expect to be hit. If the issue is about them knowing it is coming, he absolutley knew. If it is about hitting the head, the head wasn't hit. If it is from the blindside, well that is a bit grey but I thought Brown made a solid effort to come from the front. It just so happened the player that was hit decided to turn in the second before the hit. You can't expect a player to pull up in that situation nor should you. That is a prime scoring chance and I want him to make that hit because next time he is there, he might look over his shoulder or make a panic play with the puck. That is how hockey is played.

Like others have said, if the intent of the rule is to allow hits like Kronwall on Selanne to be legal and Brown's to be illegal, they might need to reassess what they are trying to accomplish with this rule.

I saw somebody mention that if Brown's elbow pad had hit Mietenen (sp?), he would have been out cold. well the same goes for his shoulder pad. They are made out of the same stuff. The bottom line, it was a shoulder on shoulder hit that the player knew was coming.

Old
10-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
I'll take Ponikarovsky's physical play over Frolov's puck-possession skills.

I wouldn't. I like Poni and am glad he's on the team but when it comes to puck control Frolov is in a class of his own.

Old
10-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Great win last night, a few thoughts.

Kopi - Oh man did he do Bäckström dirty . . . what a slick movie.

Stoll - Won some good faceoff's in the offensive zone, overall good game from him minus the 1-2 shots that completely missed the net

Quick - Strong game, that 2nd goal looked a little iffy but he locked it down in the 3rd and in the shoot out.

Brown - THAT's the Brown I remember . . Besides that 1 shift were we had awesome offensive pressure until Brownie shot the puck right at the defenders feet and it cleared the zone . . it was all a memory after those big hits. LOVE IT. . . KEEP DOING IT PLEASE . . THAT IS WHEN YOU ARE AT YOUR BEST!

Willie - The dood is playing with a edge this year, love every shift that he has . . .

Drewiske - Surprisingly good, Love what he brings after the whistle stuff . . keep it up.

Greene - Mr. 100% effort . . . my next jersey is going to have your name on it

I LOVE THIS TEAM.

Onto Chicago . . .

Old
10-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Great win last night, a few thoughts.

Kopi - Oh man did he do Bäckström dirty . . . what a slick movie.

Stoll - Won some good faceoff's in the offensive zone, overall good game from him minus the 1-2 shots that completely missed the net

Quick - Strong game, that 2nd goal looked a little iffy but he locked it down in the 3rd and in the shoot out.

Brown - THAT's the Brown I remember . . Besides that 1 shift were we had awesome offensive pressure until Brownie shot the puck right at the defenders feet and it cleared the zone . . it was all a memory after those big hits. LOVE IT. . . KEEP DOING IT PLEASE . . THAT IS WHEN YOU ARE AT YOUR BEST!

Willie - The dood is playing with a edge this year, love every shift that he has . . .

Drewiske - Surprisingly good, Love what he brings after the whistle stuff . . keep it up.

Greene - Mr. 100% effort . . . my next jersey is going to have your name on it

I LOVE THIS TEAM.

Onto Chicago . . .
After seeing the replay of the second goal, I was more upset about the first one. That was just a bad rebound. He still could have had the second one as it was tipped pretty far out, but he can't leave that rebound lying around there on the first one. His rebound control was great in the third last night, though. He was absorbing everything that he could.

Old
10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChaos22 View Post
Anyone else think Smyth looked horrible tonight? Looked slow and turned the puck over at least a few times. D looked solid, Greene has played really well for just coming back last game.
Can he practice a bit shooting at an open net? From maybe 10 ft out on a slight angle? GEEZ!!

I must also comment on the OT. It was one of the slowest unaggressive OTs I've ever seen - all the players looked beat. Several fans here and on the main board have posted that they would like to see a variation of OT play, including:

- play until a team scores
- go to 3 on 3 after 5 minutes
- then 2 on 2 - a wide range of scenarios have been proposed

The players can't go much further than they went last night - both teams looked winded (granted it's only 2 weeks into the season, so they will get in better shape).

Imagine the game going 10 minutes of OT or more...? Players would get worn out very fast, and after the first major injury that was attributed to extra OT session - fans (& owners) would be screaming to revise OT - again. And I cannot imagine the NHLPA signing off more time being added to the OT.

Long story short: 5 minutes OT of 4-on-4 looks like a good reasonable session to determine who gets the extra point. Don't mess with it and make it longer.

If still tied after OT, then go to shootout (just like it is now).

Old
10-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Great entertainign game.

This is what i wanna see...... we act the other one react.
Now we have a complete different gamestyle and Murray have to make sure we keep it this way.

Johnson was brilliant today. Dominating every area on the ice plus scoring.

Quick was great tonight. Don't know why you guys hate him. I love this guy.

Brown has a great season so far. Body presence and scoring goals.

The defender played a great game including Harrold.

the Bad:

Or PP still sucks. Kompon has to be fired since 3 years. Just put a player into the middle of the offense zone and the opponent can't force our blueliner bacj to the boards. Just take a look at the Wild PP dman it..............

Jeah and of course the goon issue. Why exactly does Westgarth deserve a NHL roster spot over Schenn or Lewis ??????
Go back to the Richardson - Schenn - Lewis line. WE DON'T NEED ANY GOONS.
Let the other guys have the goons and handle us the PP

Old
10-26-2010, 12:41 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
I don't know if anyone has said they hated Quick...

No mention of Stoll???

Old
10-26-2010, 12:43 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Just finished watching the game on archive (although I checked the score at work this morning).

Team USA defense all played well. Johnson with a great game, and while I was a little worried when I saw 44DD and Harrold out as a pairing in the first, they both played really well. I'm extremely happy to have Greene back, I've missed him. I love it when he sends someone flying at the blue line or when they cut to the middle.

Smyth giving 3 stickhandles with a completely wide open net staring him in the face, oh my god...

Call on Brown was wrong. It got called because of the way Mitt got spun around because he was leaning forward after the shot, that's it really.

Old
10-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Can he practice a bit shooting at an open net? From maybe 10 ft out on a slight angle? GEEZ!!

I must also comment on the OT. It was one of the slowest unaggressive OTs I've ever seen - all the players looked beat. Several fans here and on the main board have posted that they would like to see a variation of OT play, including:

- play until a team scores
- go to 3 on 3 after 5 minutes
- then 2 on 2 - a wide range of scenarios have been proposed

The players can't go much further than they went last night - both teams looked winded (granted it's only 2 weeks into the season, so they will get in better shape).

Imagine the game going 10 minutes of OT or more...? Players would get worn out very fast, and after the first major injury that was attributed to extra OT session - fans (& owners) would be screaming to revise OT - again. And I cannot imagine the NHLPA signing off more time being added to the OT.

Long story short: 5 minutes OT of 4-on-4 looks like a good reasonable session to determine who gets the extra point. Don't mess with it and make it longer.

If still tied after OT, then go to shootout (just like it is now).
You don't need these fancy scenarios...................

just eleminate the extra point for a tie. Just give out a point for a win, that's it.
Zero points for tie or loss.

Can you imagine what that means for the last 5 minutes of the game ????
Right now the last 5-10 minutes are mostly boring because the teams doesn't hurt each other to grab that extra point......
What happens now when you don't get an extra point for a tie, when both teams get zero points......... you get an great hustle from both teams to get the win.

Or a better scenario..... one team evens the game 3 minutes before the end and the team who was just defending the lead is forced to win now............

We could have all this with just eleminating the extra point for a tie........
no OT no Shootouts anymore just pure hockey

Old
10-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Great entertainign game.

This is what i wanna see...... we act the other one react.
Now we have a complete different gamestyle and Murray have to make sure we keep it this way.

Johnson was brilliant today. Dominating every area on the ice plus scoring.

Quick was great tonight. Don't know why you guys hate him. I love this guy.

Brown has a great season so far. Body presence and scoring goals.

The defender played a great game including Harrold.

the Bad:

Or PP still sucks. Kompon has to be fired since 3 years. Just put a player into the middle of the offense zone and the opponent can't force our blueliner bacj to the boards. Just take a look at the Wild PP dman it..............

Jeah and of course the goon issue. Why exactly does Westgarth deserve a NHL roster spot over Schenn or Lewis ??????
Go back to the Richardson - Schenn - Lewis line. WE DON'T NEED ANY GOONS.
Let the other guys have the goons and handle us the PP
You mean the Kings power play that was 2 for 7 and generated a lot of chances? And the Wild power play that was 0 for 4, including a 5 minute power play, and did not generate much?

Interesting comparison...

Old
10-26-2010, 12:55 PM
RightKinger

Do they have the whole game up on the versus website?

Old
10-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
I don't know if anyone has said they hated Quick...

No mention of Stoll???
Well ......... most of the guys are waiting for a soft goal by Quick to blame him for.
For me this is kind of hate.

Everyone played great yesterday and i just mentioned the outstanding ones.
Despite Stoll scored a goal i still don't see him as an usefull player.
On another team maybe but not on the Kings. I don't see the use in a player who just wins faceoffs and hurt the rest of the plays.
Same for Smyth. He is just awfull but at least he scores sometimes.

As long as we carry these kind of players with us we are going not even close to the cup. We can't just outwork the elite teams of the league we have to outsmart them too. And players like Stoll and Smyth will go down in playoffs against these teams. Not to mention Westgarth.

If you want an example of a player i like it's Williams. Many of us wanted him traded away. I always said this is rediculous. He is one of the most complete players i ever saw in a Kings uniform.

If you build a team with players like Williams you are unstoppable. You don't need these super elite scorers. Just build a balanced team of players who are able to outsmart the opponent and have descent skills.

Old
10-26-2010, 01:03 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Despite Stoll scored a goal i still don't see him as an usefull player.
On another team maybe but not on the Kings. I don't see the use in a player who just wins faceoffs and hurt the rest of the plays.
Same for Smyth. He is just awfull but at least he scores sometimes.
Yes, the two individuals who are tied for third on the team in scoring (6 pts in 8 games) are useless

Stoll scores a goal and a clutch shootout goal to extend the SO, and he's still useless. Amazing.

Old
10-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
You mean the Kings power play that was 2 for 7 and generated a lot of chances? And the Wild power play that was 0 for 4, including a 5 minute power play, and did not generate much?

Interesting comparison...
I compare the Wilds PP% of 37%
to our 13% yes................................

Do your self a favor and try to watch some Wild games in the future and keep an eye on their PP. I watched the Canucks - Wild games and this PP really stands out.
BTW the Caps playing a similar PP style and they were close to 40 PP% last year.

We could have easily over 30% with another PP coach and another PP style.

I mean every game is the same........ we overload the right side with Kopitar
and our blueliners are forced back to the boards and a 3rd guy joins the blue line in the middle. What happens now....... Kopitar has no players to do a cross pass, what's likely the main idea of overloading. Our blueliners get the puck and are under heavy pressure and fire the puck into the goal direction. That leads to opponents puck posession. This is agains just reacting instead acting.

The solution is so easy. they tried it in pre season and it worked awsome.
build kind of a diamond. 2 shooters on the point, one in front of the goal and one in the middle of the blueline and one in the middle of the diamond.
As soon as they try to put pressure on the point shooter or the blueliner the guy in the middle is complete free and can create a 3vs1 situation in front of the goal.

Actually i should draw this up it's easier to understand than reading.

Old
10-26-2010, 01:09 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
If anyone wants some entertainment, go watch nhl.com's highlights of the games and pay close attention right at the start. Turn the volume all the way up (as long as you're not at work or around children), and enjoy.

LOL!! Classic!!

Old
10-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOmatic View Post
LOL!! Classic!!
What does he say? I can't understand it

Old
10-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Yes, the two individuals who are tied for third on the team in scoring (6 pts in 8 games) are useless

Stoll scores a goal and a clutch shootout goal to extend the SO, and he's still useless. Amazing.
We talk again after 82 games when Stoll and Smyth are tied for 213th in NHL
with 18 goals.
How often do you remember Stoll scoring a goal to extend to OT or score the game winning goal ?????????????
And this is what i'm talking about. I don't go game by game. Sure he saved us 2 points last game. But the other 70 games he is holding his linemates back because of his missing hockey IQ

Old
10-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
"****ing right, Poni! **** yeah!"

Old
10-26-2010, 01:18 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I saw somebody mention that if Brown's elbow pad had hit Mietenen (sp?), he would have been out cold. well the same goes for his shoulder pad. They are made out of the same stuff. The bottom line, it was a shoulder on shoulder hit that the player knew was coming.
Was talking to a couple Wild fans about this during the TV timeouts and the intermission and we all agreed that if Brown with the speed he was moving at, makes that hit to the head or gets his elbow up on the delivery Miettinen needs a stretcher and doesn't get up like he did. The hit was as clean as it possibly could have been under those circumstances and Brown was a victim of the refs learning how to enforce a new rule...

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qBeA8v_dWA

Watch without sound... Those guys on VS. are idiots... You also get a good view of Brown trying to line himself up to hit him in the front, it should not be Brown's fault for a guying turning last minute in my opinion.

"The guy with the puck is supposed to be able to protect himself. Could he?"

Just wrong, you skate with your head down you deserve to get dropped... That's how hockey has been forever

Old
10-26-2010, 01:18 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:

Right after Poni blocks the shot.

I THINK.... He says "That a boy! That's how Poni f**king rates? (plays?). ****** Yeah!!

But none the less the dude was pumped! LOL

Old
10-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

LOL, who said it . . . anyone wanna take a guess?

Closed Thread