1. Washington Capitals – LW Alexander Ovechkin
2. Pittsburgh Penguins - C Evgeni Malkin
3. Chicago Blackhawks – D Cam Barker
4. Columbus Blue Jackets – C Rotislav Olesz
5. Phoenix Coyotes – RW Lauri Tukonen
6. New York Rangers – LW Andrew Ladd
7. Florida Panthers – RW Alexander Radulov
8. Carolina Hurricanes – C Robbie Schremp
9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks - RW Drew Stafford
10. Atlanta Thrashers – D AJ Thelen
11. Los Angeles Kings – G Marek Schwarz
12. Minnesota Wild – G Alvaro Montoya
13. Buffalo Sabres – D Andrej Meszaros
14. Edmonton Oilers – LW Alexandre Picard
15. Nashville Predators – LW Wojtek Wolski
16. New York Islanders – C Kyle Chipchura
17. St. Louis Blues – C Dave Bolland
18. Montreal Canadiens - D Boris Valabik
19. Calgary Flames - LW Lauri Kopikorski
20. Dallas Stars - D Mike Green
21. Colorado Avalanches – D Ladislav Smid
22. New Jersey Devils - RW Enver Lisin
23. Ottawa Senators - D Jeff Schultz
24. New York Rangers – C Petteri Nokelainen
25. Edmonton Oilers - G Devan Dubnyk
26. Vancouver Canucks - RW Viktor Alexandrov
27. Washington Capitals – D Johan Fransson
28. San Jose Sharks – C Bruce Graham
29. Washington Capitals – C Jakub Sindel
30. Tampa Bay Lightnings - D Wes O'Neill
The Ducks will take Thelen if he is still available or look at taking Meszaros, Smid or Valabik or trading back a few spots to take one of them.
Stafford does not seem to have first line potential so we will not use the 9th overall pick on him. He does not fit a need of the organization.
Defense is our big need.
I won't say that our defense doesn't need some repair, but I think the lack of a power forward is our biggest shortcoming. Stafford versus Thelen is a tough call. In fact, I'm not convinced Thelen is a better selection than Meszaros, who more than held his own with the big boys at the World Championships (not the WJCs). Although unlikely, somebody like Ladd could fall or we could "trade up" to get him. Somebody like Tukonen might fall, too.
I'm not opposed to Thelen. I'm just not sure that he's the obvious choice at #9 that everyone seems to think he is.
Finally, I'm not sure that drafting one of the premier goalies (Schwarz or Montoya) is such a bad idea. You never can have too much quality goaltending.