HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Pisa

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2004, 01:46 AM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Pisa

We got him and he looked ok for the few games I seen him play. He wasn't signed and what????? Can we sign him to play this season?

Old
06-11-2004, 05:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

So you rather him play than say, Lampman or Kondratiev?

Old
06-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I'd rather have Pisa as a #7 d-man than Lampman or Kondratiev.

Old
06-11-2004, 09:25 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Why? he added little or nothing before so why would he now. Our defense is already as soft as butter so wouldn't you rather have someone else fill that role?

Old
06-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
Why? he added little or nothing before so why would he now. Our defense is already as soft as butter so wouldn't you rather have someone else fill that role?
Because the #7 d-man does not play much, and someone like Pisa would not lose development time sitting in the press box 90% of the time whereas guys like Lampman and Kondratiev would.

Old
06-11-2004, 09:29 AM
kazo

Quote:
Why? He added little or nothing before so why would he now? Our defense is already as soft as butter so wouldn't you rather have someone with a little toughness as a #7 guy?

Old
06-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Debatable. I have yet to see Kondratiev play, but Lampman was serviceable at worst in his short NHL stint. I found Pisa to be poor defensively and never saw even flashes of the offense I was expecting. Considering he's 5 years older than Lampman, I'm not sure when he's going to realize his potential at this level. Probably never. Pass.

Old
06-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Kodiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Debatable. I have yet to see Kondratiev play, but Lampman was serviceable at worst in his short NHL stint. I found Pisa to be poor defensively and never saw even flashes of the offense I was expecting. Considering he's 5 years older than Lampman, I'm not sure when he's going to realize his potential at this level. Probably never. Pass.
I'm not advocating Pisa, per say, I'm just saying that I'd rather have players that are 25-30 filling the healthy scratch roles rather than players that are 20-25. But Pisa was in the awful situation of coming to a new team, then sitting for a long time, and then being put in cold when no one cared anymore. In Edmonton, he was solid. Here, like every other d-man, he was crap.

Quote:
Our defense is already as soft as butter so wouldn't you rather have someone with a little toughness as a #7 guy?
I don't know about that. #7 d-men are 7th for a reason. If a d-man is tough and solid defensively, he's likely in the lineup every game. If he's tough and bad in his own end (re: Purinton, Pushor, McAllister), I'd rather have someone not as tough who can play defense.

Old
06-11-2004, 09:59 AM
kazo

Quote:
I don't know about that. #7 d-men are 7th for a reason. If a d-man is tough and solid defensively, he's likely in the lineup every game. If he's tough and bad in his own end (re: Purinton, Pushor, McAllister), I'd rather have someone not as tough who can play defense.
It sounds like you're dismissing the importance of having players on your team with the ability to defend their teammates. That would be a huge mistake. Even if you sacrifice some talent you have to have players in your lineup who are willing to get a bloody nose when the situation calls for it. Having Darius Kasparaitis as your tough guy on the blueline ain't gonna get you very far.

Old
06-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Kodiak

Quote:
It sounds like you're dismissing the importance of having players on your team with the ability to defend their teammates. That would be a huge mistake. Even if you sacrifice some talent you have to have players in your lineup who are willing to get a bloody nose when the situation calls for it. Having Darius Kasparaitis as your tough guy on the blueline ain't gonna get you very far.
But you could just as easily put a tough guy out on your 4th line and not have it hurt as much. It takes 6 good d-men for a team to win, so if you want a tough guy on the blueline, you'd have to: (a) dress 7 d-men, which isn't any better than having a 4th line tough guy take a few shifts, or (b) have 5 d-men pick up the slack and log extra ice time, or (c) put a player who is subpar defensively out on the ice for 15-18 minutes.

In each case it's easier or better for the team to have a forward fill that role. IMO, defense is just too important a position to waste on a token tough guy.

Old
06-11-2004, 10:22 AM
kazo

Quote:
But you could just as easily put a tough guy out on your 4th line and not have it hurt as much. It takes 6 good d-men for a team to win, so if you want a tough guy on the blueline, you'd have to: (a) dress 7 d-men, which isn't any better than having a 4th line tough guy take a few shifts, or (b) have 5 d-men pick up the slack and log extra ice time, or (c) put a player who is subpar defensively out on the ice for 15-18 minutes.

In each case it's easier or better for the team to have a forward fill that role. IMO, defense is just too important a position to waste on a token tough guy.
Or you could trade for that kind of player who is solid enough to play regularly and tough enough to be a crease clearer and to take care of the rough stuff.

Old
06-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Marconius

As an EDM fan, I was pissed that Pisa was thrown into the deal with the Rangers. The guys got some skill and he was just starting to show it when he was traded. If you give him some minutes, he might surprise you

Old
06-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Kodiak

Quote:
Or you could trade for that kind of player who is solid enough to play regularly and tough enough to be a crease clearer and to take care of the rough stuff.
If you had a d-man like that, would you want him sitting 4 out of every 5 games? Realistically, would we have 6 d-men better than him next year? When you're looking at a #7 d-man, you have to realize that there is usually some kind of flaw that keeps him from being an everyday player.

Old
06-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I didn't think he was bad at all. He only played a handfull of games for us so I don't know how he stunk it up. And with Lampman and Kondrats, I'm not expecting anyone to have a spot.............IMO every spot should be open and up for grabs. I would take Pisa over Lampman anyday.

Old
06-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Prucha73

Pisa was nice when we had almost no good young defensemen that could play in NHL, but now we got plenty and Pisa would only take away their icetime. I think Lampman is very similar player to Pisa, except he is more physical and 5 years younger. I would rather try to trade Pisa's rights for a 7th or 8th round pick.

Old
06-11-2004, 01:41 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
I can see Pittsburgh maybe being intrested in Pisa, look what happened to Richard Jackman when he was dealt from Leafs to Pens, I was hoping Rangers would get him cause he is young and maybe on a team full of youth he can flourish. Jackman 7 goals 17 assist 24 points in 25 games with the Pens. Yes most prolly came on the PP where we could use a guy like him to score on the PP. Poti was suppose to be that guy but he stunk.

Old
06-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Regardless of the merits of having Pisa on the blue line for the Rangers given the current state of the NHL there is absolutely NO chance that he will be signed or traded this summer. Why? Because he can't play in the AHL (and wouldn't benefit from it anyway) and he's not going to sign an NHL contract and then sit through a lockout. He'll play in Europe next season--there's no other move that makes sense.

Closed Thread