HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who has stepped up or down with the injuries..

Old
10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
msv957

vCash: 500
Who has stepped up or down with the injuries..

Ok... It seems the team is finding its grove and starting to win some games even with all the injuries. Who are some of the players stepping up or down during this stretch of injuries..

Dubinsky- Stepping up and playing like a legit top 6 NHL player
Callahan- Same!
AA- Stepping up and showing he does belong in the NHL and could be a solid, solid NHL player
Avery- Stepping up and producing. Willing to battle and lead also
Fedotenko- playing well and definately deserves a spot on the third line
Stepan- not much to say except.. well done!
Boyle- Using his size and his improved skating to his advantage.
Girardi- Stepping up big time.. Just a solid NHL player who can chip in some points
Rozy- Stepping up and showing why he is a legit top 4 or better NHL defenseman
Biron- Played great in his (1) game.. LOL

MDZ- He seems to producing less points now that Gaborik is not on the Power Play. However, all in all he doing fine
Staal- He is playing ok.. Nothing spectacular and did not take his game to the next level.
Hank- Playing like Hank... Just a rock back there in goal.
Sauer- Playing fine for a bottom pairing defenseman

Frolov- Has been a disapointment as I thought he would step up his play
EC- ehh.... He is playing ok at best but I thought he would step up.
Prust- Nothing..
Boogard- at least he is finally having someone to fight him!

Torts- Has a great system in place for this team to compete and win.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Ok... It seems the team is finding its grove and starting to win some games even with all the injuries. Who are some of the players stepping up or down during this stretch of injuries..

Dubinsky- Stepping up and playing like a legit top 6 NHL player
Callahan- Same!
AA- Stepping up and showing he does belong in the NHL and could be a solid, solid NHL player
Avery- Stepping up and producing. Willing to battle and lead also
Fedotenko- playing well and definately deserves a spot on the third line
Stepan- not much to say except.. well done!
Boyle- Using his size and his improved skating to his advantage.
Girardi- Stepping up big time.. Just a solid NHL player who can chip in some points
Rozy- Stepping up and showing why he is a legit top 4 or better NHL defenseman
Biron- Played great in his (1) game.. LOL

MDZ- He seems to producing less points now that Gaborik is not on the Power Play. However, all in all he doing fine
Staal- He is playing ok.. Nothing spectacular and did not take his game to the next level.
Hank- Playing like Hank... Just a rock back there in goal.
Sauer- Playing fine for a bottom pairing defenseman

Frolov- Has been a disapointment as I thought he would step up his play
EC- ehh.... He is playing ok at best but I thought he would step up.
Prust- Nothing..
Boogard- at least he is finally having someone to fight him!

Torts- Has a great system in place for this team to compete and win.
I think Prust has been very good.

10-25-2010, 01:34 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

The individuals that stand out to me? Callahan. In fact it feels as if he has taken a hold of the leadership idea and is carrying the team with his play. The same could be said for Dubinsky. He's finally moving his feet consistently; and that is when he's most affective. You can almost include Prust with these 3, of course within his role.

Avery. He has really been skating and being an issue(good) every time he's been on the ice.

Rozsival. He has really, and I mean really stepped up to the plate. He leading the back line early in the season.

Lundqvist is being himself. Giving the team a chance to win every night the last few games. However, he did start off shakey.

Anisimov deserves praise too. He is finally using his body when forechecking. I also love how he takes everything to the net. He understands the game real well which leads to the deflection goals you see. He's going to be considered for the Selke down the line.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Melrose_Jr.

The top line in particular has really risen to the occasion. Going into the 2nd Toronto game, I felt like it was their opportunity to do exactly that, but wasn't sure if it was just too much to ask.

I would also agree that Prust is playing even better than last year when he found good chemistry with Shelley and Anisimov.

I'll even take my hat off to Gilroy. Maybe it's because I've got low expectations, but I thought he was good against Boston and Jersey.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

I think Prust has been fantastic. He's like a wrecking ball when he's on the ice and generates a ton of chances.

Sauer was very, very solid in his appearances so far.

MDZ has been very physical, which I like, but I still think he looks a little slow. I think he's trying to force the offense a little bit. I do like that he's ripping off shots from the point, but I wish he'd pick his spots a little better.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:43 PM
jasonponty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

I agree, I feel like he never left the ice last night, always seemed to be around the puck.

jasonponty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Dubi and Cally for sure. Dubi draws at least 2 or 3 penalties per game with his body work down low, the way he's been protecting the puck, etc.

Rozi has stepped up... Girardi at times as well.

Avery and Prust have been very energetic.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
mullichicken25

i honestly think that every single player besides frolov has stepped it up

maybe boogaard too...but hes had about 6 total minutes since gaborik went out so im not counting him

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Black Tank

Dubinsky and Callahan. They are the "veteran" leaders of the core and in Gaborik's absence (and probably benefitting from not having Drury around as captain) they have really made it their team.

A couple of comments on some of the previous posts:

MDZ: we are already starting to take his outlet passes for granted b/c watching some other teams play you can see the difficulty a lot of teams have in the transition game. He may not be putting up the points like this time last year but he is certainly moving that puck from the blueline.

Gilroy: so far so good. I had really written him off but he is looking MUCH better than I expected. If he gets some confidence, he could be a pleasant surprise this year.

Frolov: waiting for him to show up. He's not playing bad but he's not great either. We need his 30 goals but it doesn't look good so far.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:01 PM
NYRangers16

MDZ is playing physical D and making some great passes - if this is a permanent improvement we have a gem of a player with him.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

how about a list of players who havent

todd white
boogard (didn't really expect him to)
EC
Eminger
Gilroy

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:08 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I agree, Prust was a great pick up last year and is proving his worth even more this season.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:17 PM
NYRMiracleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i honestly think that every single player besides frolov has stepped it up

maybe boogaard too...but hes had about 6 total minutes since gaborik went out so im not counting him
i believe frolov has not stepped up because of the way he wears his socks...who else is with me? its hard to watch a game now with his sock stripes at the ankles. maybe im alone, but when he stops wearing his socks like a goon, his production will come naturally

NYRMiracleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Dubinsky- Seems to finally be hitting his stride we all knew he had in him. Hopefully the trade Dubi talks stop now. He has been great.
Callahan- A very hard worker, and always keeps going. He does have offensive skill too no matter what everyone says. Stepping up big in Gabby's spot
Anisimov-Looking much faster, and better with the puck this year, will be a solid NHLer
Frolov- Has not looked great, but still has 2 goals. I think he will be better playing with EC/Prospal and Gabs, than playing with prust.
Christensen- Is a great passer, needs to get some consistency, he could be real good
Prust- Very solid job playing in his role, even though its his fault hank didnt have a shutout last night
Stepan- Has looked solid, the first game was a bit deceiving because he will not be a giant goal scorer, he needs to be a playmaker, and finish when he has the chance too
Fedetenko- great offseason move, has looked solid, is a good player
Avery- Finally playing the way he should, needs to keep it up play smart. has good skills and it a good passer
Boogard- I think he is a waste and a liability on defense, we need a good defensive 4th line, maybe boyle/prust/drury? but boogard should play sparingly
Boyle- has looked good, especially single handed getting us a point vs. TML
White- hasn't gotten much of a chance

MDZ- has been much better defensively, the points will come keep shooting whenever you get the chance
Girardi- has been amazing this year, showing he is a top 4
Roszival- finally playing with some confidence, looks good, keep shooting, hopefully the idiot fans will stop booing him because its "cool"
Staal- looked shaky at first, has increases in play. Great play on a 2 on 1 last night.
Sauer- Good move saving his legs and trying to keep him healthy, solid 3rd pairing
Gilroy- happy with him much better than expected
Eminger- Hasnt been as bad as people think, need a 7th. Dont want Mcd and Vtank wasting time as a 7th.. if you are gonna bring him up they play instead of gilroy or sauer

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:23 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
This thread begins and ends with Dubinsky.

Callahan has played like himself, still a really good asset, but has been getting some gift points, ect.

Anisimov looks great, but that had nothing to do with Gabs being out really. He has all season.

Dubi looks like he is leading the team offensively, carrying the load, and even though 2 of his goals are empty netters he has gotten more chances than any other ranger.

Its ironic because I thought i'd be talking more about Frolov at this point.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:45 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

If anyone thinks Prust has done nothing, they haven't been watching the games closely enough.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Sauer was very, very solid in his appearances so far.
Agree- I wasn't around on Sunday - How come he sat against the Devils?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:53 PM
John Torturella

What is the obsession of putting each player individually under the microscope? The team has stepped it up. No one individual skater on this team is solely responsible for the success. Even the goal tending has been on 2 guys. The team as a whole is why they are winning. Every player has done gotten it done.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Agree- I wasn't around on Sunday - How come he sat against the Devils?
I believe the report was that he was a little sore from the Bruins game.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Slick Rick 61

Agree with most of what everyone has been saying in this thread. However, I'm a little surprised some people seem to be down on Frolov's play at the moment.

He has a few glorious opportunities that he hasn't buried, but besides that, he has played pretty well. I feel, especially in the last few games, he's played really well in all the dirty areas - in the corners, in the neutral zone, and has contributed at both ends of the ice. I think even if he buried one more of the good chances he had, people would be feeling different with 3 goals in 7 games, as opposed to 2.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 02:58 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

One has to be heartened with the development of many young players but for me it starts with MDZ. 28+ minutes last night? I couldn't have imagined that happening a year ago. He's playing more physical hockey, much more aware defensively and I think his offense will come as soon as PP gets Gaborik back. Her's starting to look like a top pair player. I'm starting to think he has a chance to be very special.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
What is the obsession of putting each player individually under the microscope? The team has stepped it up. No one individual skater on this team is solely responsible for the success. Even the goal tending has been on 2 guys. The team as a whole is why they are winning. Every player has done gotten it done.
This, everyone has stepped up. Even those who say Frolov needs to step up his offensive production (I agree) don't mention that he's very good with the puck and has been in the middle of a few high quality scoring chances that just didn't finish. 4 points in 7 games isn't bad at all considering what else he brings.

Very happy with the way the team has been playing as of late, and think people like Brian Boyle and Brandon Prust should be getting props too. (besides the obvious Doobs-AA-Cally). The defense too has really stepped up.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
One has to be heartened with the development of many young players but for me it starts with MDZ. 28+ minutes last night? I couldn't have imagined that happening a year ago. He's playing more physical hockey, much more aware defensively and I think his offense will come as soon as PP gets Gaborik back. Her's starting to look like a top pair player. I'm starting to think he has a chance to be very special.
While I agree, I'd appreciate it if we cut it down to 25. I'm not sure he's ready to be playing half the game consistently yet

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
Agree with most of what everyone has been saying in this thread. However, I'm a little surprised some people seem to be down on Frolov's play at the moment.

He has a few glorious opportunities that he hasn't buried, but besides that, he has played pretty well. I feel, especially in the last few games, he's played really well in all the dirty areas - in the corners, in the neutral zone, and has contributed at both ends of the ice. I think even if he buried one more of the good chances he had, people would be feeling different with 3 goals in 7 games, as opposed to 2.
im disapointed with how uncreative he looks out there...doesnt really seem to be making or extending any plays

even though im pretty sure he's trying hard, it looks like hes just going through the motions

very vanilla...i was hoping for more, but its very very early in the season and he's new to the team and just lost gaborik, so we'll see

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 03:31 PM
rangerfan2

The whole team has stepped it up, as have the coaches. I have to say, I think the past few games have been the most entertaining games I have seen from the Rangers in a few years. I just love watching their style of play. Their top line of RC, BD and AA has dominated the puck and kept it in the enemy zone the way Jagr and Nylander and Straka used to. Is it just me, or does anyone else think we have found our top line, even once Gabby gets back in the lineup? If we get someone who can play between Frolov and Gabby, great. But imho EC is not that someone. Groin injury or not, you just don't pick up 1st line centers on waivers. He might have talent, but lots of guys have talent. He is missing that 'it' that sets 1st line centers apart from talented journeyman. Frolov is working hard and getting his chances. Frankly, I think playing with EC and Prust, he has done well.

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote