HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Blades.....

Old
10-25-2010, 04:30 PM
BuddehJuS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
New Blades.....

The steel on my skates were down to nothing. I had very little blade left, but it worked for me. I felt good out there, but I knew I needed to get them replaced.

Well, I did on Friday, and skated today, and just felt awful. I was quite uncomfortable and had zero confidence. Basic skating motions made me awkward and off-balance.

Mind you, I didn't realize it would effect my stick length as well since it added over a half an inch of steel to my skates. I'm thinking I may throw a new butt-end in the stick to help compensate.

Anyone go through this? If so, how many skates did it take you to get your bearings?

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:37 PM
AIREAYE

I just went from an old pair of Mission AmpFlys with little steel left, not to mention a 9' radius to a new pair of S15s. After the first skate in them, they were definately better, at a 10' radius which lead to better balance and stride. I spose after a few more skates, you'll get used to it

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Placebo Effect

Same radius, hollow, etc?

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Pog Form

I think the difference of a couple centimetres in blade height would be much less noticeable than a different radius, hollow, or pitch. I'd look into checking that (and getting it corrected) before making other adjustments to compensate.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 06:09 PM
BuddehJuS

I own the Bauer Vapor XXV's from '07. The radius is the same as I replaced the blades with these:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-ho...el-runner.html

I checked the size and it is correct. I did get my standard 5/8 sharpening. Maybe the original cross grind?

Old
10-25-2010, 06:42 PM
ponder

Whenever I get new skates it's like I have to learn to skate all over again, but honestly you adjust fast, after a few times out on the ice you should be used to it. Just go to a couple free skates or stick and pucks. As for stick length, adding 1/2" is probably a decent idea, but wait until you're used to the skates to see if you really need it, or if your just standing up straighter at first because you're uncomfortable on the higher blades.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 08:09 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Compare the profile of your old runners to your new runners, focus on the shape not the height. Nearly every skate I look at has the toe and heel ground down a lot and burned... this is why I have ONE guy that I let touch my skates and he's the best. Even some guys that run "highly acclaimed" mail order sharpening/profiling give out some pretty crappy jobs, I've seen it in person.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 09:22 PM
BuddehJuS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Compare the profile of your old runners to your new runners, focus on the shape not the height. Nearly every skate I look at has the toe and heel ground down a lot and burned... this is why I have ONE guy that I let touch my skates and he's the best. Even some guys that run "highly acclaimed" mail order sharpening/profiling give out some pretty crappy jobs, I've seen it in person.
The guy threw out the blades, but good call. The toe of the blade is way bigger and more rounded then I remember. They kind of did the once over with the sharpener and that's about it. I checked an old pair of my skates and the profile is WAYYYYYY different then what is on my current pair. I'll have to get to the rink I trust early on Wednesday and have them 're-profile' them. This is possible, right?

Last edited by BuddehJuS: 10-25-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old
10-26-2010, 12:07 AM
LarryO

Like a few others said, I would get a few skates in first and see if I get used to them. Who knows... maybe this new profile will end up being better for you than the old worn-out profile.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I actually wouldn't "get used to them" personally...I skated for four years on Vapors before moving to Grafs that had a different radius and pitch, and gave it a few months before having them profiled back to what I was used to. I actually did three steps:

- initial stock radius/pitch (11' on toes) - lost edges on turns and poor balance skating backwards
- had them grind the front and back of the steel more - slightly better on turns, still poor balance
- had them pitch them more on my heels - much better balance, turns still felt clunky
- matched old radius/pitch (9' balanced) - much better turns, stops, and balance

I would bring in those old skates and ask them to match the radius and pitch personally. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 04:39 PM
BuddehJuS

Well, it bugged me enough where a buddy of mine at a different rink is going to do his cross-grinding magic on them. He knows what I like as he as done my skates SEVERAL times, and hopefully, he can get them going the way I want them. I'll let you guys know how it goes! Thanks, by the way. Something seemed off, and I feel better getting it taken care of.

Old
10-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
The guy threw out the blades, but good call. The toe of the blade is way bigger and more rounded then I remember. They kind of did the once over with the sharpener and that's about it. I checked an old pair of my skates and the profile is WAYYYYYY different then what is on my current pair. I'll have to get to the rink I trust early on Wednesday and have them 're-profile' them. This is possible, right?
Yes, and really should be done by skaters more often. Seems that profiling gets overlooked a lot.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 06:32 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
Well, it bugged me enough where a buddy of mine at a different rink is going to do his cross-grinding magic on them. He knows what I like as he as done my skates SEVERAL times, and hopefully, he can get them going the way I want them. I'll let you guys know how it goes! Thanks, by the way. Something seemed off, and I feel better getting it taken care of.
I profile my skates and have two sets of steel so I don't have to worry about it. I personally have a custom profile with the toe rounded down because that's what I like.

Some guys even go to the extreme. Frolov has his toe rounded soo much that the holder itself is notched at the toe.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote