HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

vanek

View Poll Results: will the sabres sign him? (..and will he begin in the ahl?)
yes 27 60.00%
no 18 40.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2004, 03:43 PM
nikehockey013

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nikehockey013
vanek

will he or wont he?

Old
06-11-2004, 06:15 PM
MN_Gopher

I think the Sabres will let him play in college, if there is a lockout. So he will be in the NCAA again. I bet they do not want to play and pay him in the AHL, when IMO he is ready for the NHL. Nothing to learn in college or AHL, but college is free. He may be an alternate for the gophs. Maybe he will become a leader and with the new resposibilty he may try hard on D to set an example. He is in summer classes at the U and plans on being back at this piont. No word from the Sabres.

Old
06-11-2004, 09:55 PM
DW

I'd agree about the part of nothing to learn in the NCAA's, but not the part about the AHL. This is where he should be, he's far outgrown the college ranks and needs the discipline at the professional level to get to the next level. He'll do the same thing last year if he stays at the U, and that's something called coasting.

Old
06-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Epoch

I think the Sabres will sign him.

Old
06-21-2004, 11:30 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

He'll stay in school...in the local paper about a week ago Vanek was quoted as saying that the Sabres have had no Contract talks with him what-so-ever and that any reports to the contrary are false...

Old
06-21-2004, 01:08 PM
JFPIV

Labor uncertainty will keep him in college.

Old
06-23-2004, 03:48 PM
AV18

Send a message via AIM to AV18
In an article on SI.com Regier said that he is scheduled to meet with an advisor of Vanek's this weekend to discuss signing him.

Old
07-01-2004, 04:42 PM
jiggs 10

It would be silly for the Sabres to sign him. Until they know if there will even BE a season come fall, they should leave him be. Besides, why would they want to start paying a one-way floater who may not even MAKE the NHL any sooner than they have to? Vanek could use the time to learn how to back-check or play defense, but until Lucia sits his butt down, he won't. But I don't think he would do it in the AHL, either. He will continue to tantilize with his offense, but cost his team on (lack of)defense.

Old
07-01-2004, 07:51 PM
chaachie12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
I think the Sabres will let him play in college, if there is a lockout. So he will be in the NCAA again. I bet they do not want to play and pay him in the AHL, when IMO he is ready for the NHL. Nothing to learn in college or AHL, but college is free. He may be an alternate for the gophs. Maybe he will become a leader and with the new resposibilty he may try hard on D to set an example. He is in summer classes at the U and plans on being back at this piont. No word from the Sabres.
what about Defense? He has yet to show he has the effort needed to play defense consistently.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:27 PM
DW

Exact reason why he needs to get out of Minnesota. He needs this "butt kicking" otherwise he'll never get away from his present label. He doesn't need to show any interest in defense here because the coaching staff doesn't make a priority for him.

Old
07-02-2004, 08:42 AM
chaachie12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
Exact reason why he needs to get out of Minnesota. He needs this "butt kicking" otherwise he'll never get away from his present label. He doesn't need to show any interest in defense here because the coaching staff doesn't make a priority for him.

yeah, I agree...the original statement included the AHL to college. Having watched Vanek close to 100 times in teh last 2 years I just have a hard time beleiving he would make a smooth jump to the NHL. He plays Zero defense, and I don't think the flaoting would be as acceptable in the NHL.

Old
07-03-2004, 07:12 PM
MN_Gopher

When he decides to go pro he will be just fine in the NHL.

Old
07-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Today's edition of the Star Tribune is reporting that Vanek is demanding more money than the Sabres are willing to give him....meaning he's likely headed back to the "U" this fall.

HERE is the whole story. You'll have to scroll down towards the bottom to find it. Also, if you aren't already, you'll need to register to get access to the article. Sorry folks.

Old
07-23-2004, 06:48 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Today's edition of the Star Tribune is reporting that Vanek is demanding more money than the Sabres are willing to give him....meaning he's likely headed back to the "U" this fall.
i can't say i'm surprised. the sabres have not enought money and vanek, who is hyped way too much, is a bit flying on his hype.

Old
07-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Fan.At
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to Fan.At Send a message via MSN to Fan.At
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26
i can't say i'm surprised. the sabres have not enought money and vanek, who is hyped way too much, is a bit flying on his hype.
What makes you think so? Do you know how much the Sabres offered?

Old
07-23-2004, 08:10 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan.At
What makes you think so? Do you know how much the Sabres offered?
nah...it's just that i'm not even sure he'll play NHL for a long time. he's a boom or bust guy and i don't think he'll make it. and i don't like the hype around him, especially not from austria.

first impressions of him personally weren't that good. i didn't like him in interviews. but i may be wrong of course.

it was just a guess i made.

Old
07-24-2004, 07:42 AM
Fan.At
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
nah...it's just that i'm not even sure he'll play NHL for a long time. he's a boom or bust guy and i don't think he'll make it. and i don't like the hype around him, especially not from austria.

first impressions of him personally weren't that good. i didn't like him in interviews. but i may be wrong of course.

it was just a guess i made.
Of course he is hyped in Austria. He is the player with the best potential to come out of Austria ever. Is that not a reason for a hype?

I know what you mean when you say you didn't like him in interviews . But what makes a good hockey player is not his interviews, but his play. And when he is on his game he is an incredible player.

I'm sure he has the potential to be a superstar in the NHL for years, if he really makes it, depends on his character and determination...

Old
07-29-2004, 10:30 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan.At
Of course he is hyped in Austria. He is the player with the best potential to come out of Austria ever. Is that not a reason for a hype?
don't believe the hype...
it's a reason to wish him all the best, but hype is something negative, i think.

Quote:
I know what you mean when you say you didn't like him in interviews . But what makes a good hockey player is not his interviews, but his play. And when he is on his game he is an incredible player.
hehe, but the character is damn important nowadays. his play may be good so far, but i really question his character.

Quote:
I'm sure he has the potential to be a superstar in the NHL for years, if he really makes it, depends on his character and determination...
if he'll become a 50+ scorer everyone should be happy. i remember the hype in germany when marcel goc was drafted and it didn't help his development. he struggled a lot. i fear the same could happen to gawlik next year. but we'll see.

so far i really question vanek's character and i feel that he could become a major disappointment.

Old
07-30-2004, 02:01 AM
Fan.At
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
so far i really question vanek's character and i feel that he could become a major disappointment.
I agree that a lot depends on his character. And a lot will depend on his coaches and their ability to light a fire in him...

There's still a big possibility that he turns out as bust, but we don't hope so

Old
07-30-2004, 02:11 AM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
personally, i feel that the thing with vanek is that he is a FANTASTIC college player (probably one of the best in the game right now), but the fact that you're the cream of the crop at the college level does not mean you are going to be even passably good in the pros.

take jim montgomery. probably one of the best college players to ever play (i don't have the numbers in front of me, but he's gotta be around 300 points in 4 years), but he's one of those guys that never did anything in the NHL, and has always been and will always be a career minor leaguer.

i see vanek as one of those types of players. making the jump is always tough if you're not a complete player, and judging by everything i've seen of vanek (which admittedly isn't much), the kid simply does not play with enough grit, or play anything that even resembles a two way game. on top of that, he has always struck me as a primadonna.

basically, i think this kid is going to be a great AHL player, but not go very far at the NHL level unless he steps up his game and improves his attitude

Old
08-03-2004, 04:02 PM
jiggs 10

Bingo! Couldn't have said it better myself! Although I HAVE seen alot of Vanek in the last 2 years. IF (and it's a HUGE if) he can find a coach that will put up with his total lack of team play and defense in exchange for 25 goals a year, he MIGHT make a 3rd line in the NHL some day. But I don't think he has the right kind of ego for that. If he isn't the "star", he may just fly back to Austria. He certainly hasn't impressed me either as a player or as a person, but that's up to Buffalo. I can only say, with Lindy Ruff as coach in Buffalo, Vanek doesn't stand a chance of playing for at least 2 years (if he shows ANY aptitude at defense in the minors). 2 or 3 big goals a year don't make up for all the defensive lapses that lead to goals against in the NHL.

Closed Thread