HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Gagner vs. O. Jokinen

Old
10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
dookers9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sem1 View Post
your embarassing yourself. i know you wont listen, but its pretty obvious to everyone else that your a massive homer.

lets just say gagne didnt have to turn around and drop the gloves and compaing jokinen to peckham is just rediculous.

maybe we should get on gagne for fighting an "older" conroy last year. is that not ok too? get a grip man. i believe you should be done talking in this thread

oh, and your comment about regehr.......uhh iam pretty sure its called playing defence, pretty sure thats his job. only sad part is i dont see any of the oilers coming to the little guys aids. trust me, there isnt anyone in the league regehr is afraid of.

i cant believe your ignorance, its sad really
Wow. And you figure it's ME that's frothing at the mouth.

Nice. "I know you won't listen, but..." was last used in the schoolyard when I was in grade 5. I have no problem listening. I read your thread. You have a different opinion. Clearly one that is in line with your team. I've no problem with that, only the spittle that accompanies your view.

But I'm left wondering what more you want? A big guy jumps a small guy. In what way - if it were a Flame as the jumpee - would you be stating it's cool? A recognition of your own bias would be a nice addition to the equation here.

Regarding Conroy and age, was Brendan Shanahan, a well-trained, professional athlete, still capable of sticking up for himself against players of like-size well into the late stages of his career?

As for Regehr, an amazing defenseman. I'll grant him that. Saves his biggest games for the Oilers. However, engages in head shots and high sticks when knocking them around no less than Peckham did last night, for which he was tagged for 2.

Sure, it's his job. A fair question as to why the Oilers haven't done anything about the way he's gone about it. My only hope is that they don't respond by sending a much bigger player after him. That - as I'm sure you're detecting - wouldn't be so hip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
How would that be even similar? This fight was skill guy who fights once a season vs. skill guy who fights once a season, not skill guy with zero fights in his 14 year NHL career vs. regular fighting plug.

Gagner went at Jokinen. What are you even talking about?
For real?

The point you're making is that it's ok for a bigger player to go after a smaller one based on the frequency of the former's fights? As long as neither fight often, it's equal? Re-read your post. You're as impulsive as yer buddy.

Oh, so now it's Gagner the initiator. First of all, no. Second, what difference does it make? See rationale above.

The only way this dynamic is ok is if the initiator is the most pathetic physical specimen known to mankind, doomed to perform miserably in any bout he engages - even with much smaller players - simply on account of his innate incompetence. If that's your argument and in turn the way you see Jokinen, fair enough. You win.

Obviously, the reference to Peckham has taken this to the next level. I think you know how I was looking to use him in the example. He's a bigger guy in contrast to Morrison. Come on, let's keep some context here. I'd have felt the same about Foster, a relative mouse despite his size, had he challenged Morrison. Or Dawes, had he still been with the organization.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Fighter
Legend

Jokinen wins it with that facial expression alone

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 12:56 PM
pancirios

vCash: 50
I like Gagner fighting the punks I hate like Kesler Conroy and Jokinen

pancirios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Eytinge

Gagner did pretty good there. I wish he'd stop fighting guys way bigger than him though.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 01:06 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post

For real?

The point you're making is that it's ok for a bigger player to go after a smaller one based on the frequency of the former's fights? As long as neither fight often, it's equal? Re-read your post. You're as impulsive as yer buddy.

Oh, so now it's Gagner the initiator. First of all, no. Second, what difference does it make? See rationale above.

The only way this dynamic is ok is if the initiator is the most pathetic physical specimen known to mankind, doomed to perform miserably in any bout he engages - even with much smaller players - simply on account of his innate incompetence. If that's your argument and in turn the way you see Jokinen, fair enough. You win.

Obviously, the reference to Peckham has taken this to the next level. I think you know how I was looking to use him in the example. He's a bigger guy in contrast to Morrison. Come on, let's keep some context here. I'd have felt the same about Foster, a relative mouse despite his size, had he challenged Morrison. Or Dawes, had he still been with the organization.
Yes, Gagner initiated the fight. Jokinen gave him a not-unusual shot off the draw and Gagner dropped his stick, turned back, and challenged Jokinen.

At the NHL level, size in a hockey fight matters much less than fighting ability, until you're getting into the real habitual fighters. That's why a guy like Rick Rypien can go with a Gill or a Valabik, and that's why that same guy would be chastised heavily if he were to go after, say, Ilya Kovalchuk. I'm not going to yell at Marek Malik for fighting Tie Domi.

Gagner and Jokinen are two guys with relatively similar fighting experience, who mutually agreed to fight. They don't need you playing mommy. They're grown men.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
I know that Jokinen apparently went after Gagner after he'd nailed Stajan, but when did the idea ever disappear that you fight like-sized guys?

Jokinen: 6'3" 215
Gagner: 5'10" 185 (if he's lucky)

What's going on with the Flames playing so small? Meyer picks on tiny Reddox in pre-season. Glencross is chasing after another smurf, Brule, all night.

Numbers must look really good on the HockeyFights website.

You go, Cowtown toughguys.
Well, we all saw what happened in the 1st game of the season when the Flames chose to fight our big guy. After that beat-down, I dont blame them for only picking fights with smaller players. After Glencross was chasing after Brule for 2 shifts, I would have put big Mac on a line with him and then see how tough Glencross acts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Diddy View Post
Lost? fixed above
51% think he lost, according to the linked site. 30% thought it was a draw (thats what I'd vote).

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Z-Diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
51% think he lost, according to the linked site. 30% thought it was a draw (thats what I'd vote).
I wasn't calling for the W either

IMO how does what is an obvious draw during the fight and Oli score the takedown and people are homer voting up Gagner for the give up in size?

Z-Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 02:05 PM
DropIt

Over reaction thread. Holy cow.

Fight was a draw IMO. And its hockey, players fight players other size. Should OJ skate around until he finds someone his own size? Or decline if an opposing player of skill challenges him. Its most often a spurr of the moment act when its skill-type players.
I don't see you defending Prust when he has to fight McIntyre last year. Regardless they both threw punches, neither got hurt and neither really won. Its fun to watch

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Cawz

Quote:

IMO how does what is an obvious draw during the fight and Oli score the takedown and people are homer voting up Gagner for the give up in size?
Well, I dont give any points for a takedown. Maybe other people dont either.

I don’t know how obvious of a draw it was. I only saw the fight live (and drunk) so I’d have to watch it again to properly comment. I cant watch videos on this computer.

So are the homers voting up for the Flames players too, who have the higher percentage on the other 2 fights from last night?

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 02:30 PM
OneSharpMarble

Put Smac on the ice and they all sit down and suck their thumbs. I am sure there isn't too many on the flames team who want to wake up in a hospital.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 02:34 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Over reaction thread. Holy cow.

Fight was a draw IMO. And its hockey, players fight players other size. Should OJ skate around until he finds someone his own size? Or decline if an opposing player of skill challenges him. Its most often a spurr of the moment act when its skill-type players.

Pretty much, yeah.

lol @ the a size difference being an issue all of a sudden.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 02:49 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancirios View Post
I like Gagner fighting the punks I hate like Kesler Conroy and Jokinen
Why on earth would anyone ever hate Craig Conroy?

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Roland of Gilead
The Gunslinger

Dookers, stop humiliate yourself anymore

Roland of Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 03:13 PM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Put Smac on the ice and they all sit down and suck their thumbs. I am sure there isn't too many on the flames team who want to wake up in a hospital.
LOL. Put smack on the ice and laugh as he tries to skate without a chair to hold on to

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 04:11 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

love gags. the little dude is scrappy.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
Why on earth would anyone ever hate Craig Conroy?
He's super annoying when he talks. I'm sure if he was on my team I'd think he was a great guy or whatever, but it's blah blah blah until I just want to punch him in the face. Not, you know, Jarkko Ruutu classless annoying, but Conroy's annoying.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 05:42 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:

take downs are an act of desperation in these fights, YO.
Jokinen was getting outmatched by Gagner, who is undersized.

you could say its a draw but technically Gagner changed the momentum and was beating his head in. Jokinen landed a few on the helmet early anyway.

Mr. Piggy getting outclassed by one of the Oils Midgets is hilarious.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Ciccarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces High View Post
He mad.
He aint even mad, brah.

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 01:49 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Hat tip to Gagner, he did quite well in all of those fights.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote