HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Recomendations for what to look for in skates

Old
10-24-2010, 06:57 PM
AndreD

vCash: 500
Recomendations for what to look for in skates

I have enjoyed skating since I started about two years ago and in the last few weeks have joined an amateur hockey group (non contact) which meets twice a week. I feel like its time I bought some skates

Being in the UK there arent many hockey shops around, the one at the rink here sells just one type of skate so when I go back home (80ish miles away) I want to have an idea of what I should be looking for when buying skates, atm I am just using rental ones - any advice would be helpful.

If it helps:

Height: 5'9
Weight: 120 pounds
Ability: I feel comfortable skating but not much technical ability at all

AndreD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 10:13 PM
vexXed

Here is everything you will need to know about choosing the right skate. A very informative article.

http://www0.epinions.com/content_3832651908

Where in the UK are you? Depending on where you are there may be a couple of skate shops around. When I was in Edinburgh for uni there was one near the rink but another one in Dundee which had more choice. Was a bit of a trek but always worth it. You can ask the guys about what would fit you but be careful as some of them don't really know much about the different types of fit each brand provides. It is ALL about fit so don't get carried away with flashy marketing. Good luck to you!

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2010, 11:51 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
Here is everything you will need to know about choosing the right skate. A very informative article.

http://www0.epinions.com/content_3832651908
Great article I like that, all the text hurts my brain a little but I like how it breaks down the skates for general fittings.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 12:31 AM
ponder

Normally I would just say go into a good shop and have them fit you properly, but if a good shop is not an option, post your foot measurements and we should be able to suggest the right length and width of skate for you (roughly). Get 4 books, place one at your toes, one at your heel, and one on each side of the foot, basically forming a box like this:

Then measure the length and width of this foot box, in inches, and I should be able to tell you the right size and width of skate for you.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2010, 04:53 AM
vexXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Great article I like that, all the text hurts my brain a little but I like how it breaks down the skates for general fittings.
Yeah it's a good read. I actually had a lot of problems trying to find the right skate cause my feet are weird. Only after 5 years of skating in 2 different pairs of CCMs did I realize that they didn't fit me at all and there was a whole inch of extra space in front of my toes...

I pretty much have that article imprinted in my memory and if I see someones feet, I can't help but think to myself what skate they SHOULD be using.

Old
10-25-2010, 05:01 AM
vexXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Normally I would just say go into a good shop and have them fit you properly, but if a good shop is not an option, post your foot measurements and we should be able to suggest the right length and width of skate for you (roughly). Get 4 books, place one at your toes, one at your heel, and one on each side of the foot, basically forming a box like this:

Then measure the length and width of this foot box, in inches, and I should be able to tell you the right size and width of skate for you.
If you do that be sure to also point out if you have a high or low instep and arch.

Old
10-25-2010, 10:39 AM
AndreD

Length is about 10 1/2 and width just under 4 - measurements arent really precise a ruler isnt great for this. I probably have a very slightly higher than usual arch but not significantly, I also know that I have a low ankle and crooked toes (I have no idea how much of this is helpful)

Ive checked and the only shop which I could realistically get to is back home in London. Im in oxford atm, the skate shop here only stocks CCM Vector 3.0 at double the price theyd cost online, I'm all for buying from a shop but not if there is only a choice of one.

Thanks for all the help

Old
10-25-2010, 02:20 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreD View Post
Length is about 10 1/2 and width just under 4 - measurements arent really precise a ruler isnt great for this. I probably have a very slightly higher than usual arch but not significantly, I also know that I have a low ankle and crooked toes (I have no idea how much of this is helpful)

Ive checked and the only shop which I could realistically get to is back home in London. Im in oxford atm, the skate shop here only stocks CCM Vector 3.0 at double the price theyd cost online, I'm all for buying from a shop but not if there is only a choice of one.

Thanks for all the help
Make sure you measure really accurately, using books parallel to each other like I said. There's a big difference between feet that are, say, 10 1/2" and 10 3/4" inches long, and just under 4" or just over 4". For example, my feet are just under 10 3/4" long, just over 4" wide, and IMO fairly volumous in general, and I wear a size 9, E width, but if your feet are just a bit smaller, say 10 1/2" by 3 7/8" you might be more of a size 8 (or even 7.5 if you like a really tight fit), D width (all US, not UK sizes, and based on Bauer Supreme skates, most skates are fairly similar to Supremes size wise, but some are much different). In general skates will fit 1.5 sizes smaller than a proper fitting shoe, what is your US shoe size? If at all possible it really is best to try on plenty of skates in a store, but if that's absolutely not possible give really accurate measurements and myself (and/or others) can do my/our best to recommend the right size/width, though the brand that works best for you will be more of a crap shoot, as it's hard to accurately quantify other aspects of the shape of your foot.

Old
10-25-2010, 02:24 PM
ponder

Also, if ordering online, will you be ordering from shops that ship from the UK, or from somewhere else (like the US)? If shipping from the US, you'll probably be hit with some serious duties, I know I've bought snowboarding gear online, shipped from the US to Canada, and had to pay a crapload of duty once it arrived, most sites won't warn you about this, but it'll happen.

You said you live in Oxford, that's what, an hour and a half drive from London? If there's a good shop in London I'd say it'd be easily worth it to make the trek and get fitted properly.

Old
10-26-2010, 03:52 PM
EmptyNetter

Since you're new to the site (welcome!) you may not have noticed this thread at the top of the page -- http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=546975 .
It started about two years ago and has some personal opinions about skates that you might find useful.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2010, 11:33 PM
TEAM Slow Pitch

Send a message via MSN to TEAM Slow Pitch
Honestly, nothing more than fit and feel. Make sure to get them baked after you purchase them so they can mold to your feet quicker.

TEAM Slow Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

I personally think it depends on the kind of player you are. I stand in front of the net as a forward. So I need a skate that has good protection, I'm getting the Bauer X:15's, they are only $120 USD have good exterior protection. The only difference between them and the ones $100 more retail (I actually found the X15's for $90 on icewarehouse), was interior padding, which I actually felt restricted my foot more or I would be getting them.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:07 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud View Post
I'm getting the Bauer X:15's, they are only $120 USD have good exterior protection.
Compared to what?

Cheap skates are always much heavier, less supportive and much less protective then higher end offerings.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 01:12 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Compared to what?

Cheap skates are always much heavier, less supportive and much less protective then higher end offerings.
The X30's I believe. I tried both sets on. Not noticeably heavier. Yeah less support with less interior padding however, but yeah 100 less

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 05:45 AM
AndreD

Last night one of the people I was playing with invited me to join his rec league team (he just happened to be the coach) so I think I will now be making a trip to london some time in the next month