HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers depth analysis, Fall 2010

Old
11-07-2010, 10:35 AM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Philadelphia Flyers depth analysis, Fall 2010

Heading into the 2010-11 season, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren made an effort to restock the cupboards with young talent.

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

In two words, not good.

Some depth on defense and in goal, I suppose, and a young forward mix on the big club makes the lack of system depth no big deal. Still, if you were assessing only what's in the lower levels of the organization, it's not much.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Right now, in my opinion (since things have changed substantially since the last top 20), we have the following legitimate NHL prospects:

G - Bobrovsky, Eriksson
D - Gustafsson, Lehtivuori, (Bartulis)
F - Wellwood, (Nodl)

On the fence:
G - Riopel
D - Bourdon, Marshall, Bertilsson
F - Testwuide, Holmstrom, Legein, Rinaldo, Pither, Kalinski

Everything else is pretty much done.

Note: This is not including players taken from the most recent draft because it's way too early.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:33 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

I don't get it, wasn't Legein supposed to be very good? I heard mixed things, never got a definite argument about him.

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 12:44 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Right now, in my opinion (since things have changed substantially since the last top 20), we have the following legitimate NHL prospects:

G - Bobrovsky, Eriksson
D - Gustafsson, Lehtivuori, (Bartulis)
F - Wellwood, (Nodl)

On the fence:
G - Riopel
D - Bourdon, Marshall, Bertilsson
F - Testwuide, Holmstrom, Legein, Rinaldo, Pither, Kalinski

Everything else is pretty much done.

Note: This is not including players taken from the most recent draft because it's way too early.
Riopel is not on the fence imo. He will never sniff the nhl or even be a great ahl goalie.

you dont think bodrov is a legit prospect any longer?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 01:23 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Riopel is not on the fence imo. He will never sniff the nhl or even be a great ahl goalie.
I'm convinced he won't make it to the NHL, but he's got a better shot than any other goalie in our system (outside of Eriksson as noted).

Quote:
you dont think bodrov is a legit prospect any longer?
Bodrov hasn't been a legitimate prospect for over a year.

Old
11-07-2010, 01:37 PM
jb**

Quote:
I'm convinced he won't make it to the NHL, but he's got a better shot than any other goalie in our system (outside of Eriksson as noted).

Bodrov hasn't been a legitimate prospect for over a year.
Doesnt matter if he has a better shot as those other guys blow. Kovar is a wildcard i suppose.
you dont think bodrov is good enough to play in the nhl?

Old
11-07-2010, 01:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Doesnt matter if he has a better shot as those other guys blow. Kovar is a wildcard i suppose.
you dont think bodrov is good enough to play in the nhl?
I think Bodrov had the talent. He got praise from Holmgren when we were trying to sign him.

He took his chances in Russia. Something screwed him up. He got into locker room trouble. He was shipped out. He got into a contract dispute and left his team. He signed with us hardly the same player that he was before he declined our offer to bring him over before. He's done a complete 180.

It's possible he comes back to North America, but I think this is all too much for him to overcome.

Old
11-07-2010, 01:43 PM
jb**

Quote:
I think Bodrov had the talent. He got praise from Holmgren when we were trying to sign him.

He took his chances in Russia. Something screwed him up. He got into locker room trouble. He was shipped out. He got into a contract dispute and left his team. He signed with us hardly the same player that he was before he declined our offer to bring him over before. He's done a complete 180.

It's possible he comes back to North America, but I think this is all too much for him to overcome.
if i recall there were family circumstances or something going on and that is why he left this summer. There was an article about it i remember that much. It wasnt on bad terms.

Old
11-07-2010, 01:47 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
if i recall there were family circumstances or something going on and that is why he left this summer. There was an article about it i remember that much. It wasnt on bad terms.
I know that, but he didn't look very good when he was here either. Part of it might have had to do with the fact that he got hurt.

While I wouldn't be shocked if he returned to the AHL, I don't see him making it to the NHL.

Old
11-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Garbage Goal

I like our d-men prospects even if we don't have any 1st pairing talent or blue-chippers and our goalie depth is awesome, but our forward depth is beyond pitiful with Maroon gone now. It was bad before, but no our best forward prospect, who also happened to be our only forward prospect with legitimate top six potential I think, is gone.

Is there a team out there with a worse group of forward prospects then us?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Our offensive potential is quite terrible. We could really do with stocking up on the O in the next 3 years

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2010, 02:32 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I like our d-men prospects even if we don't have any 1st pairing talent or blue-chippers and our goalie depth is awesome, but our forward depth is beyond pitiful with Maroon gone now. It was bad before, but no our best forward prospect, who also happened to be our only forward prospect with legitimate top six potential I think, is gone.

Is there a team out there with a worse group of forward prospects then us?
None that I can think of, but thank god we have Nodl and Wellwood.

Old
11-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Our offensive potential is quite terrible. We could really do with stocking up on the O in the next 3 years
We are in win now mode, and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I dont know if we will hold onto draft picks this year or next. Would you? Lets say we can get a Nathan Horton caliber winger at the deadline for a first and 3rd.....you would have to make that trade.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:30 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
We are in win now mode, and probably will be for the foreseeable future. I dont know if we will hold onto draft picks this year or next. Would you? Lets say we can get a Nathan Horton caliber winger at the deadline for a first and 3rd.....you would have to make that trade.
Find me a potentially available Nathan Horton caliber player that fits under our cap.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 09:51 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Prospects can change in a real hurry. 2 years ago we had squat for goaltenders worth talking about. 8 months ago we didn't have Bob,Testwuide,Holmstrom Pither, or Gustafsson.

We can't honestly expect to have a stacked cupboard when we trade our first rounders all the time can we? When your bluechippers graduate and or are traded this is what we get left with.

I'm certainly not going to complain about the scouting this group has done. We didn't have a pick this year until the 3rd round and as a collective group we complained about the picks they made on draft day. But so far Chaput, McGinn, Parks and Ranford have all done fairly well in their respective leagues.

jd2210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
jb**

Quote:
None that I can think of, but thank god we have Nodl and Wellwood.
Your funny. All of 3 games and your thanking God for wellwood already. You need to get a grip. How many guys have looked good in their first few games to go on and disappear? Nodl has played well but until he provides more offense on a consistent basis he is a dime a dozen player and I like Nodl. He needs to shoot more, a lot more. I realize you’re an eternal optimist and all. Try to keep it real holmes.

Old
11-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Kaktus*

Giroux, Richards, Carter, (JVR hopefully developed). All young. I guess I can mentioned Hartnell too and we will see about Lieno and his UFA status.

Carle, Masz, Coburn all young. Not as bright as Timonen and Pronger but decent.

Number one priority, obviously hoping for Bobrovsky to develop. That would be beyond awesome!!!

I think we are good for years to come in terms of future core (if 2 youngsters work out) plus we have money unlike other teams. Keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 11-08-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote