HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kimmo Timonen: Steady as he goes

Old
10-28-2010, 08:46 PM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Kimmo Timonen: Steady as he goes

Quote:
Flyers fans appreciate the offensive creativity of Danny Briere, Claude Giroux, Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, and the ice presence of Chris Pronger. For hockey purists, Kimmo Timonen’s proficiency also is a treat. Watch the Flyers defenseman for any length of time and you’ll notice that Timonen rarely makes a mistake.

“Kimmo is very efficient: he doesn’t waste a lot of energy,” said Flyers assistant coach Kevin McCarthy. “He’s so smooth and so smart.”

When McCarthy was an assistant coach under Peter Laviolette with the Carolina Hurricanes, he didn’t see much of Timonen because Carolina didn’t play Timonen’s Nashville Predators often. Now that McCarthy is around Timonen every day during the NHL season, he has a new appreciation for the veteran rear guard.

“He’s one of those players you can’t appreciate until you see him all the time,” said McCarthy, a former NHL defenseman and Flyers first-round draft choice (1977). “You can count on one hand the bad games he has. It’s amazing how consistent he is.”

Since the 5-10, 194-pound Timonen is a shrub compared to the maples that are the 6-6 Pronger or 6-5 Braydon Coburn, he relies on his hockey smarts to be productive on the ice.

“I’m not even an average-size (player) any more,” Timonen said, “I’ve always think it’s in your head how you play the game. It comes down to hockey sense: how you read the play. Since I’m smaller, I can’t run around (on the ice) because I’m going to get beat that way.”
Timonen & Mike Richards pose at the Virtua Center Flyers Skate Zone after being named to the 2008 NHL All-Star Game. Click for photo gallery.

At age 35, Timonen expects to play a high level several more years.

“When I was young, I thought once you’re 35 you might be done,” he said. “But now I’m 35 and I feel I have at least a couple more years to go. The game has changed. People are in better shape now than 10 years ago. The game is faster.”

Timonen has the respect of Coburn, his blue-line partner the past two seasons.

“(Timonen) is one of the top D-men in the league,” Coburn said. “He’s been one for quite a few years. He’s very underrated.”
Link

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-28-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Edited to fit within Site Rules
King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:08 PM
JCameron418

vCash: 500
Great player. One of my favorites. Sucks he's living in the shadow of Pronger right now.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

i've always loved watching him play

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Great player. One of my favorites. Sucks he's living in the shadow of Pronger right now.
I get the impression that he doesn't mind... I think he understands that those who know enough appreciate all he does. He doesn't come across to me as someone with a huge ego that has to be constantly fed... just from what he says and how he comes off in interviews; I take him as a complete 'team' player.

I was greatly surprised after he came here... he plays a lot tougher and bigger than I expected. While I didn't expect him to be soft, and did expect him to be good, I never expected him to be so hard nosed with his small body -- I believe the roster data gives him some more height and weight -- See him stand next to another layer and he looks like a peewee player... when he stands next to Coburn they look like Mutt and Jeff... And he mixes it up and holds his ground as well as holds his own against bigger players. He also is a hardy player that needs to be seriously injured to not dress... and he gives many minutes the entire season.

Kimmo also is more of a leader than I expected... he was no paper captain with the Preds; he leads by example and seems to have an edge in his words when needed.

While I love Pronger for being one of the all time great D-men, I have to think of Kimmo as a co-number one D-man... and while Prongs gets the press, he also takes the pressure off and allows Timonen to do what he does more efficiently. They share the key defensive minutes and have to be fresher for it.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 10-28-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Mgkibbles

His creativity from the blueline is unbelievably rare. We're fortunate to have him playing in Philadelphia.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:40 PM
BernieParent

I think that Timonen has the kind of temperament to thrive in this dressing room, where everything isn't on his shoulders every game, but he is looked up to. Plus, having a workhorse like Pronger probably will extend his career by another 1-2 years because he doesn't have to be on the ice in every pressure situation.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:17 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I say this in every Timonen thread that is posted.....

No one will realize just how much Kimmo means to the Flyers until hes gone.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 04:26 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

he's a carbon copy of eric dejardins.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 04:50 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I say this in every Timonen thread that is posted.....

No one will realize just how much Kimmo means to the Flyers until hes gone.
i've dreaded the day he goes for two years now. i mean, just stop and imagine if he wasn't in the lineup? who fills that hole?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:45 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I cant believe some people suggest trading him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:55 AM
DayoftheGreek

Timonen has probably spent the most time as my favorite Flyer. Giroux has his time in the spotlight as well, because cmon, its Giroux, but Timonen has been playing his flawless game night in and night out for a long time.

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:32 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I think when he starts to lose it it will be fast, much like Desjardin and make him almost useless. I think something is off this year. The olympics, long cup run, and short summer probably playing a big part. So much for the reduced minutes as he still is getting 24 a night. Being shorthanded so much doesnt help. They need to reduce the wear and tear for Kimmo as it will benefit in the long run.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:44 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Hes one of those players you cant appreciate until you see him all the time, said McCarthy, a former NHL defenseman and Flyers first-round draft choice (1977). You can count on one hand the bad games he has. Its amazing how consistent he is.
Agree with this completely. I knew he was pretty good in Nashville, but until I got to watch him regularly, I didn't know just how good he is. He, very quietly, plays an excellent game - to the point where the rare poor game really stands out.

It's nice to see him getting some recognition, and it's about damn time.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:42 AM
agrudez*

I was pretty worried that he was in the decline midway through last season, but he stepped it up towards the end and despite his comments about not being mentally ready, he has been fantastic thus far this season.

Too bad for my fantasy team that his stats suck, though.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I loved Rico, and I agree except for the fact that Kimmo has a tougher edge to his game, IMO... While Desjardines took his lumps and played on, Kimmo not only takes the lumps but mixes it up despite his diminutive size.

I'd say that Kimmo is a Flyered up version of Rico in his prime... And that is taking nothing away from Eric who gave everything he had while wearing O&B and left it all on the ice until he had no more to give. Sadly he was injured a couple key postseasons where the Flyers missed him greatly, and he may have made all the difference in the world had he been healthy.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:07 PM
RoDu

Timonen>Desjardins not a slight against Eric

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I cant believe some people suggest trading him
That's only because of his age and cap hit.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 04:21 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Agree with this completely. I knew he was pretty good in Nashville, but until I got to watch him regularly, I didn't know just how good he is. He, very quietly, plays an excellent game - to the point where the rare poor game really stands out.

It's nice to see him getting some recognition, and it's about damn time.
I was surprised how good he was defensively. I knew he was solid all around, but I had thought more of him as a great offensive dman who excelled on the pp.

The way he played for us in the 07-08 season was tremendous. Thinking about that team and what a long term injury to Timonen would have meant makes one almost consider this 5.3M third pairing we have now a good idea...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I loved Rico, and I agree except for the fact that Kimmo has a tougher edge to his game, IMO... While Desjardines took his lumps and played on, Kimmo not only takes the lumps but mixes it up despite his diminutive size.

I'd say that Kimmo is a Flyered up version of Rico in his prime... And that is taking nothing away from Eric who gave everything he had while wearing O&B and left it all on the ice until he had no more to give. Sadly he was injured a couple key postseasons where the Flyers missed him greatly, and he may have made all the difference in the world had he been healthy.
Yeah i agree with this. Kimmo certainly knows how to throw a check. Much like sbisa did with his size

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote