HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penner

Old
10-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Exactly. To fill the hole up front, but creating a hole in the back...(LOL)

(As a true possibiliy, as OV is untouchable...)I want Penner more than anyone for this team right now. But not if it would make us worse.

Would something like Penner and Whitney for Frolov and Staal be more realistic?
i think this may be worse than the first proposal

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 02:42 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
i think this may be worse than the first proposal
explain that

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:38 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
Seriously, I am a Rangers fan ( second to the Oil ) and you have to admit that '94 team was pretty deep with Oilers

When the Rangers win again I will be there on Broadway cheering as it's a short train ride on the Metro North.

I do not think Penner is table scraps but we are very deep on the left side so he is most likely the guy not here when we start to compete in a few years.

It's is completely crazy to think we would trade either Hall or Eberle or our 1st in 2011, from a marketing standpoint that would be suicide.

You guys are a lot closer to competing than the Oil, I thought a 30 goal scorer would help.
Really? Full of Oilers? What jersey were they wearing?

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 05:25 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

The proposals in this thread have been flat out terrible.

Moving Staal makes as much sense to the Rangers right now as it would make for Tampa to move Stamkos.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 05:48 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
Rangers are second favorite team since the Oilers won a cup for them in '94!
Completely forgot we got Leetch, Kovalev, Richter, and many others from you. Duh. Apologies.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:28 PM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Quote:
Exactly. To fill the hole up front, but creating a hole in the back...(LOL)

(As a true possibiliy, as OV is untouchable...)I want Penner more than anyone for this team right now. But not if it would make us worse.

Would something like Penner and Whitney for Frolov and Staal be more realistic?

Dude, that's worse than the original.

What part of (insert top prospect here) + (insert decent young defensemen here) + (insert proven roster player here) +(insert at least a 2nd here) are we not understanding?

rip
DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:47 PM
drewcon40

The great Scott Fraser was a former Oiler.

<--- my avatar is of Glenn Anderson. Wearing a NYR jersey,

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:00 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

[QUOTE=DrurysWeekend;28595988]

Dude, that's worse than the original.

What part of (insert top prospect here) + (insert decent young defensemen here) + (insert proven roster player here) +(insert at least a 2nd here) are we not understanding?[/QUOTE]

What?

Great. Now there's two item on the table that are going unexplained.
a) HOW it's worse than the original....b)WTF are you talking about????

Old
10-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
What?

Great. Now there's two item on the table that are going unexplained.
a) HOW it's worse than the original....b)WTF are you talking about????
a) Ryan Whitney is absolutely abysmal in his own end. The only thing he can contribute is offense, and sometimes even that part of his game isn't always on top. He was -15 in the first 28 games of the Penguin's Stanley Cup year. Truly, he's god awful.

Penner has proven less offensive flair than Frolov has, and Penner doesn't come with the complete game that Frolov does. He doesn't hit, he's not a great forechecker, and he definitely doesn't have that amazing skill along the boards Frolov does. He's a sniper who has problems getting his offensive game going sometimes.

So there's no reason to downgrade from Frolov to Penner, and no reason to completely wreck our defense by going from Marc Staal, a shut-down defenseman, to Ryan Whitney, a defensive nightmare.

b) He only means that those are the following things from the Oilers that he expects for Marc Staal.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:15 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Ok, so lets finally build a team through youth and then trade the best one.

lol

Makes no sense. Sorry, none of those proposals come close. Not that any would really. He's untradeable right now. End of story.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:20 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

...Birds of a feather....

Old
10-29-2010, 09:19 AM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Quote:
...Birds of a feather....
Go attempt to trade on any other team's board for their best young player who is a proven #1 at their position and see if Penner and Whitney get it done.

Come back and let me know who you land.

Edit: Also, yes, what NYR fans would want for him is overpayment, but that's what he is worth to the organization.

DMPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:27 AM
CaptainObvi0us
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Penner has proven less offensive flair than Frolov has, and Penner doesn't come with the complete game that Frolov does. He doesn't hit, he's not a great forechecker, and he definitely doesn't have that amazing skill along the boards Frolov does. He's a sniper who has problems getting his offensive game going sometimes.
Who is this Frolov you speak of and when does he plan on showing up to play for the NYR this season?

CaptainObvi0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Who is this Frolov you speak of and when does he plan on showing up to play for the NYR this season?
Geez, Frolov getting ragged on already?

Hes playing with Erik Christensen and Brandon Prust for goodness sakes.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
explain that
Whitney is worse than staal. This cannot even be argued. He is better offensively, but right now we need an ANCHOR on our blueline and if we were to trade staal for whitney it would screw us.

In addition, penner may have had a better season last year than frolov but he is less proven then him and as previously stated does not have as complete a game. Even when frolov is not producing he is not a liability on the ice or in his own end. In addition, they are the same age and frolov 380 pts>200 pts from Penner.

So basically, your giving us two worse players for two better players.....how in the hell is that fair. Something like

To Rangers:
Penner
Hall
1st round pick 2011
Smid

To Oilers:
Marc Staal
Frolov

Thats something i MIGHT do....honestly....this is not happening at all. It makes no sense for either team. All these players are being bred into a team philosophy during a rebuild period. Stick with your guys and stop trying to make something fit that could be detrimental to your team.

I love staaly and have no problem with frolov (although many ranger fans seem to be expecting him to score every night)

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:55 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

People bringing up regular season stats, I wouldn't expect them to understand the point of the proposal.

...and for those who think Frolov is better than Penner, esp along the boards...stop drinking rubbing alcohol. While Frolov is knocked on his ass, Penner would be the one putting him there.

Must I bring up the Gartner for Anderson trade again?

How many regular season points did Dustin Byfuglien have?
I dunno! I didn't look it up, nor do I remember or care....but I do remember watching him score some...and why he did...and that counts for a little more than statistics in retrospect. Same for Penner. Seen him take over a few times...it takes a lot of effort to move that big ol frame....but when those boys have reason to, they will move that frame and their team will thank god they got em.

Old
10-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
People bringing up regular season stats, I wouldn't expect them to understand the point of the proposal.

...and for those who think Frolov is better than Penner, esp along the boards...stop drinking rubbing alcohol. While Frolov is knocked on his ass, Penner would be the one putting him there.

Must I bring up the Gartner for Anderson trade again?

How many regular season points did Dustin Byfuglien have?
I dunno! I didn't look it up, nor do I remember or care....but I do remember watching him score some...and why he did...and that counts for a little more than statistics in retrospect. Same for Penner. Seen him take over a few times...it takes a lot of effort to move that big ol frame....but when those boys have reason to, they will move that frame and their team will thank god they got em.
If the stats were more comparable then I think your argument for trading Fro for Penner would work. But....

Fro is 28 y/o and has had five straight seasons of 50+ point production including 71 and 67.

Penner is 28 y/o and has had a whopping one 50+ point season and that was last year.

I understand what you mean by not looking to the stats all the time because I agree with you on that point. You have to have guys that add the intangibles like grit and hard work (Callahan). But then again you also need the guys who have the skill to produce points (which the Rangers have been lacking), and I don't think that Penner has consistently showed that skill.

Even though Frolov's point total has gone up and down a bit the past 5 seasons, it hasn't dipped under 50 since his 2nd NHL season in which he had 48.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:43 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
If the stats were more comparable then I think your argument for trading Fro for Penner would work. But....

Fro is 28 y/o and has had five straight seasons of 50+ point production including 71 and 67.

Penner is 28 y/o and has had a whopping one 50+ point season and that was last year.

I understand what you mean by not looking to the stats all the time because I agree with you on that point. You have to have guys that add the intangibles like grit and hard work (Callahan). But then again you also need the guys who have the skill to produce points (which the Rangers have been lacking), and I don't think that Penner has consistently showed that skill.

Even though Frolov's point total has gone up and down a bit the past 5 seasons, it hasn't dipped under 50 since his 2nd NHL season in which he had 48.
Not only is a Frolov type much easier to find, the Penner types are far more scary when both have the fire lit under their ass
(Remember what Byfuglien did for Kane and Toews...).
Many call him inconsistent, but what has he had to get fired up about lately? A tank/rebuild-team? He has his moments where is command is unmistakable, and when it counts, that's the guy you would see.
A Penner would've made Zherdev more effective IMO, Frolov as well.

Anyway, I wonder if Staal was just out for that PK, would he leave the backdoor open and NOT waste what should have been the save of the game? Stats wouldn't say anyway.