Alan Walsh once again proves that he's a classless tool

Old
10-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

vCash: 500
Alan Walsh once again proves that he's a classless tool

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...tml?page=1&c=y

The long and short: Walsh is a whining shyster who doesn't know when to keep his stupid mouth shut.

If he wants Havlat playing 20+ a game, tell him to learn to play defense, and then he can play on our excessively used PK.

How is this clown still an agent? He can't go a single season without inserting his foot into his mouth...

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:09 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

No, Walsh is an agent who tries to get the most for his players. Unfortunately I don't agree with him because the Wild use him well and as highlighted in the article plays more even-strength minutes than anyone else, but I understand why this coming. Now if only Havlat could actually not be snakebit and put the biscuit in the back of the net like someone who makes $5 million per season should and maybe he'll get a little more powerplay time.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:18 AM
State of Hockey

Both Havlat and Richards deserve some blame. Havlat needs to play better and Richards can find a way to use him better. Walsh is being Walsh. He's not going to blame his client, so Richards it is.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I remember Walsh also bashed Habs fans when Halak came in Montreal for his farewell.

what a great agent

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:27 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

He is - seriously, I'd want an agent who has my back in any situation and works their ass off for me. It's the same reason why people wonder why baseball players keep flocking towards Scott Boras despite his hardball negotiating tactics and negative perception.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:59 AM
ChexLeMeneux

I kind of wondering tho if this Walsh speaking out or is this Havlat speaking out through his agent? The last thing this team needs is one of it's better players not putting forth the effort because he feals he is not being used properly.

ChexLeMeneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 07:17 AM
mnwildgophers

Russo also says that they had a "productive" meeting yesterday. Maybe this was scheduled to come out before that meeting? Either way, Marty should be used in the shootout, but that's hardly something to complain about.

I really think Richards should think about breaking up these liens, I don't even really remember Havlat playing with Koivu and not having "chemistry." It gets to a certain point where you see need to do something when it's not working. I don't understand why he won't shuffle up that top line, it's been intact for how many games now? That's what's making a lot of us mad. I'd like to see how Koivu and Havlat perform together now.

On the topic of Walsh, I'd like to have an agent that always has my back like Gopher says. He's kind of annoying, but because he is, a lot of people care about what he has to say, and his message gets out there. Can't argue with the results he gets I guess.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 07:35 AM
joolzie

I guess it's sort of a pre-emptive strike. I wondered at Havlat not being on the first PP unit, but when it was motoring along at its insane percentage, it was hard to argue. Last few games that hasn't been the case, so maybe it is time to mix it up a little (I don't have the time to check to see if that was already done).

One thing is for certain: Havlat is a much better player than he's seemed so far this year. It's hard to say he's being used inappropriately from where I sit though, and I've closely followed him for years and have a tendency to get defensive when he's criticized. His forte is ES, especially 4 on 4, and he's getting all of that.

Weird timing for this from Walsh.

joolzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 08:18 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
it's an agenty thing to do. I'd like my agent to be proactive, too. So i guess from Havlat's perspective it's great. We fans get to focus our discontent a little on Walsh so I would think it's a welcome distraction in that sense as well. Meh.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:01 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Ya, seems like typical agent speak. It's hard not to understand where Walsh is coming from, however. With the way Havlat and Latendresse have played together since Lats' arrival; I'm just not so sure you could justify splitting them up.

With Latendresse now out, I think this is a good time to start trying different combinations. It sounds like they are, but I doubt it's going to be some big shake up. I would like to see the team try Havlat with Koivu some time again. But from the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like Richards is going to break up Koivu's line. Which, in my opinion, is the one line that actually needs the shake up.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:07 AM
TheTenderness
¡VIVA EL NIÑO!

If he wants more ice time he better start practicing his penalty killing.

The only way he gets more ice time is if he plays with Koivu, but that kills our second line. Maybe when Bouchard comes back Havlat can move up and Butch can slot into his role on the second with Cullen and Latendresse.

TheTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:12 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
But from the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like Richards is going to break up Koivu's line. Which, in my opinion, is the one line that actually needs the shake up.
hell yeah. i wanted that sucker broken up last year. but everyone is all like "Oh, he has to play with miettinen" ********. he should be able to play with anyone. can you imagine if we still had gaborik.

the Gaborik-Brodziak-Staubitz line would handily outscore everyone else.

Old
10-28-2010, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I really don't like this move on Walsh's part.

Havlat and Richards had a talk yesterday. Let that go into action. You don't have a talk then run to the media unless Richards said he wasn't going to play Havlat.

That kind of thing can cause a "schism" in the room. If the guys think you're whining about ice time to your agent, who then calls out the coach, that's not good at all.

Havlat is playing well, it's not his fault he's not getting the time. The team has been marching to the box over and over the last three games. Anyone with half a brain can figure that out. Walsh certainly didn't need to whine about it to the whole world.

We don't need Havlat killing penalties, trying to block shots, and getting injured. That's what the grinders are for. We need him playing 20 minutes a night on the top line and top PP unit.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
hell yeah. i wanted that sucker broken up last year. but everyone is all like "Oh, he has to play with miettinen" ********. he should be able to play with anyone. can you imagine if we still had gaborik.

the Gaborik-Brodziak-Staubitz line would handily outscore everyone else.
It's not that he has to play with Miettinen to be successful; it's that in order for us to get ANYTHING out Miettinen while he is here, he needs to play with Koivu. With Koivu, he's proven that he can hit 20 goals. If we bump him down to the 3rd/4th line (where he probably belongs), then all we have another $2.33 million, 8 goal scorer.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Kari Takko

Maybe it's time to move Brunette off the first line. I love the guy's character and the memory of his playoff goal, but he's a liability.

He's too slow to forecheck or backcheck. He's still very effective with the puck on his stick, but he doesn't play much part in maintaining possession through the neutral zone or repossessing on a dump-and-chase.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:57 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
It's not that he has to play with Miettinen to be successful; it's that in order for us to get ANYTHING out Miettinen while he is here, he needs to play with Koivu. With Koivu, he's proven that he can hit 20 goals. If we bump him down to the 3rd/4th line (where he probably belongs), then all we have another $2.33 million, 8 goal scorer.
put it this way then: 20 goals isn't enough if Koivu doesn't step up the goal production himself. just between the two--i'm not saying I'd leave Kobasew up either--Mittens is the better defensive player while i'd be willing to bet they're more or less equal offensively. I don't think you'd lose much if anything by swapping wingers while you could gain a bit. This "chemistry" thing is bizarre too--Havlat didn't play well with Koivu? He had a chance? I'm not saying you've said this, but i've seen it stated more than once.
None of our lines are producing enough to garner "leave them alone" status.

Old
10-28-2010, 12:00 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Maybe it's time to move Brunette off the first line. I love the guy's character and the memory of his playoff goal, but he's a liability.

He's too slow to forecheck or backcheck. He's still very effective with the puck on his stick, but he doesn't play much part in maintaining possession through the neutral zone or repossessing on a dump-and-chase.
He would work well enough if we had more speed on the opposite wing...otherwise i really don't know where you put him on this team. Koivu by himself can keep the puck long enough for Brunette to get set up often enough (if they even make it to the offensive zone) but i'm not sure who else has that kind of ability right now.

Old
10-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Great news today is that Wellman might be in for Miettinen.

Would love to see a Bruno-Koivu-Havlat and Lats-Cullen-Wellman top six.

Old
10-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Tarpan

I don't disagree with Walsh. Havlat is not being utillized well and I think they should be pushing him into the offence a lot more. Not only do I think it's the right thing to do for getting value out of him, I think it would pay off in a big way.

Tarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpan View Post
I don't disagree with Walsh. Havlat is not being utillized well and I think they should be pushing him into the offence a lot more. Not only do I think it's the right thing to do for getting value out of him, I think it would pay off in a big way.
I don't know how else they should utilize him. He's playing on our 2nd line (which, when healthy, is probably our first line this year) and he plays the powerplay. His lack of ice time this year is DIRECTLY related to the amount of time we have spent shorthanded so far this year. If Walsh is saying that Havlat is volunteering to start killing penalties, then he can get his ice team. Otherwise, he better start making the most of the time he gets.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Havlat leads the forwards in even strength ice time this year, so that's not it. He is fifth in PP ice time though. So either he or his agent are whining about his PP time or his linemates.

Old
10-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Tarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I don't know how else they should utilize him. He's playing on our 2nd line (which, when healthy, is probably our first line this year) and he plays the powerplay. His lack of ice time this year is DIRECTLY related to the amount of time we have spent shorthanded so far this year. If Walsh is saying that Havlat is volunteering to start killing penalties, then he can get his ice team. Otherwise, he better start making the most of the time he gets.
I find coach's that don't play their star players on the PK to be foolish.

If you're killing a lot of penalties, get your star players out there so they are in the game and keeping fresh. You see this all around the league with players that are not normal PK players...San Jose, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Washington, the list goes on. If you start racking up PK minutes, the star players get out there for a shift here and there.

I also think that he should be playing a lot more time on the PP as well as with Koivu...but hey, that's just me. I don't see him as a second line player. I think he should be out there on a regular line with Koivu.

I don't think Havlat is particularly strong at carrying a line by himself. He is a great talent, but not an anchor like Koivu is. Playing Havlat with Koivu and letting them build up some chemistry should allow pressure to be taken off of Havlat and open him up a lot more space for one or the other which would pay off in a big way.

Tarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 02:27 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Richards is just a piss-poor coach. That's really what it comes down to.

-Look at last year, benched Skyora, Havlat for failing to learn his new "system" quickly enough. Couldn't figure out how to get the boys to respond until the end of last year.
-Tried to overwork the boys this year with a bag-skate.
-Maintains same top line from last two years, even though, as Russo pointed up, that line hasn't produced the playoffs for two straight years.
-Refuses to give Havlat and Koivu time to mesh and make chemistry.
-Continues to have Miettinen on first line. Don't give me "Koivu can only play with him." Koivu is getting paid $7 million/year. He should be able to play with a gorilla.
-Refuses match lines with opposing teams.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 02:28 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

I'm fine with Mittens on the third line scoring "8" goals because I know his replacement on the the 1st line would score 30. Havlat should be on the first PP and 1st line instead of mittens. Marty is a good guy and I wish him to succeed. Richards better break up the first line tonight or ill have a coronary.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also Russo is mentioning how the Wild room was talking about it all morning. Not good to have these distractions.