Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Alan Walsh once again proves that he's a classless tool

Old
10-28-2010, 04:37 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
I could be totally wrong, but didn't Russo call out Havlat a couple days ago for being a $5 million secondary player? It seems like there has to be a reason for these comments and that might be the catalyst.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 05:58 PM
grN1g

havlat scores a hatty tonight and i lol at all this after the game.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:12 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Walsh = typical agent. whatever you feel about sports agents...this is how they act.

no biggie

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 07:08 PM
saywut

Havlat should be on the 1st PP unit instead of Miettinen. But like Chuck said, if we're getting penalized then Havlat isn't going to play much, because he is the 8th best PK forward in our lineup.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Wild underusing Havlat, according to agent
A closer look at the statistics...
Quote:
In the four games in question (October 19th-25th), Havlat played 53 out of 184 even strength minutes played by the entire Wild team. During his final four regular season games with the Blackhawk, he played 64 out of 211 even strength minutes. That means he has played around 55 more seconds with the Blackhawks on even strength ice time as compared to when he played with the Wild.
To me, 55 seconds more isn't something to go raising the pitchforks for. Its total overreaction by Walsh and I'm so disappointed he has represented so many Wild players...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It still doesn't matter when Havlat LEADS the Wild forwards in even strength TOI per game. He's getting plenty of ice time. It has to be his linemates. But I still don't know if it's Havlat who wanted this to go public or his agent, and I'm guessing the later. Usually you don't go behind your teammates' backs and talk about this stuff, unless you want to be shunned by the guys you're with all day every day.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It still doesn't matter when Havlat LEADS the Wild forwards in even strength TOI per game. He's getting plenty of ice time. It has to be his linemates. But I still don't know if it's Havlat who wanted this to go public or his agent, and I'm guessing the later. Usually you don't go behind your teammates' backs and talk about this stuff, unless you want to be shunned by the guys you're with all day every day.
Fully agree, but when Walsh comes out of nowhere implying the Wild has cut TONS of ice time he used to have with the Hawks, i feel it should be mentioned that 55 seconds of even strength time isn't a huge cut off. Neither is 11 seconds of PP time (all based on 4 games)

EDIT: Unless I have my math wrong, which I doubt. I'm Asian.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:17 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I could be totally wrong, but didn't Russo call out Havlat a couple days ago for being a $5 million secondary player? It seems like there has to be a reason for these comments and that might be the catalyst.
Actually looked this up.

Quote:
Is it time to try something else? Brunette feels it's tough to gauge that because every game has been different from a flow standpoint, mostly because the penalty problems are disabling this team. We'll see what concoction Richards unveils in practice Wednesday -- if he does, but the Wild's just not good enough to not try something else once in awhile.

Jacques Lemaire probably scrambled his lines way too much and Richards probably scrambles his lines way too little.

Koivu's got to be better, and the Wild must figure out a way to get Havlat, Latendresse and Brunette rolling. Havlat's scored no goals in eight games, and while he's helped create six goals, he's not a factor right now. Say what you want about Havlat, but he's a $5 million secondary option on this team. He's on the second power-play unit, played three games in a row in the 14-minute range last week, hasn't been chosen in two shootouts. But in my mind, he's got to be given more of a significant role by Richards, or else, why have him? I think a lot of Havlat's problems is Latendresse. Havlat loves to play catch with the puck, but Latendresse has often been behind the play, which has led to some poor penalties and in and out second-line forechecks. But one big reason why Havlat, Latendresse and Brunette haven't been 5-on-5 threats is they sit on the bench for half the game sometimes because of the penalty kills.
This is from the day before Walsh's email to Russo. Take what you want out of it.

Old
10-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Haha, indeed.

But we also have to look at how often the Wild were on the PK, which cuts into total ES time. That's why I'm looking at ES TOI per game compared to other forwards:

2007-08: 3rd ES, 3rd PP
2008-09: 3rd ES, 4th PP
2009-10: 3rd ES, 2nd PP
2010-11: 1st ES, 5th PP

Really the only thing they can be whining about is him on the 2nd PP unit, which is ridiculous. Is it because they want to pad Havlat's stats? I mean the Wild are #1 in the league in PP%, so whatever they're doing is WORKING. Put the team first, A-holes.

Old
10-29-2010, 09:27 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Well that settles that. All this was started by Russo...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:01 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

17:27 TOI.

1 shot.

Havlat needs to put up or tell his agent to shut up.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:05 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

Well that settles that. All this was started by Russo...
Don Russo: Saving the newspaper industry on both sides of the river one blog at a time.

Old
10-29-2010, 11:00 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I know this may be an unpopular statement;

Maybe Fletcher needs to ask Havlat which teams he will waive his NMC for...

Havlat is an elite player that is not doing much for the Wild. If (big if) Bouchard comes back successfully...

We suddenly have two of the same type of player. Havlat = Bouchard in a lot of ways...

I would easily entertain the idea of moving Havlat for that elusive right wing sniper for Brunette - Koivu, but I don't because of the NMC.

Old
10-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Fully agree, but when Walsh comes out of nowhere implying the Wild has cut TONS of ice time he used to have with the Hawks, i feel it should be mentioned that 55 seconds of even strength time isn't a huge cut off. Neither is 11 seconds of PP time (all based on 4 games)

EDIT: Unless I have my math wrong, which I doubt. I'm Asian.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post

Havlat is an elite player that is not doing much for the Wild. If (big if) Bouchard comes back successfully...

We suddenly have two of the same type of player. Havlat = Bouchard in a lot of ways...

I would easily entertain the idea of moving Havlat for that elusive right wing sniper for Brunette - Koivu, but I don't because of the NMC.
Regardless of whether or not I agree (for the record... It may be worth at least putting out feelers...), I don't think we'd ever get a return that would make it worthwhile.

Most people think he's slightly overpaid, and he's signed fairly long-term given the kind of contracts we've seen handed out in the last two years. A lot of people still view him as a secondary option, who won't ever be anything more than that.

Honestly, I'd rather we find Koivu some valid wingers another route - Lats/drafting/Wellman/other college free-agent and see if Havlat can play LW with Butch once he comes back.

I really think those two would work well together. Yes, both of them are more playmakers than finishers, but they both have good speed when they want to use it. Koivu doesn't have that high-to-top-end speed like Butch does, I think Lats would fit with him better.

I dunno... Here's what I'm thinking for next year.

Lats-Koivu-Wellman (Wellman is fast enough to chase down a puck, Koivu and Lats are good enough on the boards to draw a defender down to open up one of the other forwards)
Havlat-Cullen(Granlund?)-Butch (All 3 forwards are fast enough to dump and chase if they have to, but Butch and Cullen can both carry - if you count Butch doing a pirouette at the BL carrying - and all three are good passers)

Honestly, if we can make that work, we'd finally have two scoring lines that should actually be able to score...

Pipe dream... I know...

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:12 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Yeah, it's a pipe dream for us to think that the coaches see things as most of us do... I would much rather try Lats on the right side of Brunette and Koivu.

Plus, anyone see that Havlat's been coming down the left wing side more often than not lately?

Fully healthy, my ideal lines would be:
Brunette - Koivu - Latendresse
Havlat - Cullen - Bouchard
Miettinen - Madden - Kobasew
Nystrom - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Staubtiz

Old
10-29-2010, 12:28 PM
nickschultzfan

Richard still coaches like an AHL coach. Just kind of puts the non-doghouse skilled players on the ice together, and expect them to magically produce, without thinking through how their skills and weakness need to fit in together. And then reward no talent grinders with increased ice time to set examples for the lazier players.

That may work with a bunch of 22-year-olds, but I'm not sure that the best way to run a NHL team.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Havlat just plain wasn't very good last night. It's not Richards fault when anything negative happens with the Wild.

I don't want to see Havlat getting moved. I want to see him challenged.

And we aren't one piece away from the Cup, so the idea of finding a winger for Mikko Koivu and a 37-year-old who's playing out his career on one leg is ridiculous. We need to find our top six for the next few years. Koivu, Bouchard, Cullen, Havlat, and Latendresse are pieces. Richards needs to find some combination involving those guys, and then find a complimentary player (or two).

Old
10-29-2010, 12:42 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I wouldn't mind seeing a Koivu - Brunette - Latendresse line. However, I think the problem we would see is that the line would be scary slow. Honestly, as long as the team is going to play Koivu and Brunette together, they're going to need someone with a bit of speed to help Koivu get through the neutral zone and then get in on the forecheck. Truth be told, there really isn't a strong option on roster. I'd like to maybe see Kobasew for another game or two and I'm even a little intrigued to perhaps see Nystrom up there with them. As he's got a little jump in him and isn't shy about getting physical. He's still not the shooter you'd ideally be looking for, though.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the lines when/if Bouchard comes back. Most of these guys have never played with him so it's hard to speculate on what and wouldn't work. I'd probably go with something like this:

Brunette | Koivu | Havlat
Latendresse | Cullen | Bouchard
Kobasew | Madden | Miettinen
Nystrom | Brodziak | Clutterbuck

Old
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Yeah, it's a pipe dream for us to think that the coaches see things as most of us do... I would much rather try Lats on the right side of Brunette and Koivu.

Plus, anyone see that Havlat's been coming down the left wing side more often than not lately?

Fully healthy, my ideal lines would be:
Brunette - Koivu - Latendresse
Havlat - Cullen - Bouchard
Miettinen - Madden - Kobasew
Nystrom - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Staubtiz
This year, those lines look great. Mine were for next year.

Bruno and Koivu get yet another strong-along-the-boards skater, who shoots more than either of them, and is MUCH closer to their level of speed.

Havlat-Cullen-Butch could become a premiere puck-moving line.

We can find out if Miettinen is worth tendering a cheap offer to see if he's a worthwhile 3rd liner anymore - if not, we dump him at the deadline, same deal with Kobasew.

Clutter and Nystrom can just go back to hitting everything in sight, and Brodz can play 3rd man high and cover for them both.

It makes too much sense to try these lines.......

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Maybe pairing a (lazy) Havlat with a hard worker like Koivu will motivate him. And if not, there's always the third line.

Old
10-29-2010, 12:47 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
This year, those lines look great. Mine were for next year.

Bruno and Koivu get yet another strong-along-the-boards skater, who shoots more than either of them, and is MUCH closer to their level of speed.
Do you think Brunette will be back next season?

I think he'd be more productive here than really any other team in the NHL but I'm not sure the Wild bring him back. Or even if he's considering playing another season.

Old
10-29-2010, 12:53 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I'm wondering if he retires or re-ups for another year...

Old
10-29-2010, 12:57 PM
saywut

Quote:

I'd be happy to see Havlat moved, if we were getting a top-6 forward with proven ability to get 25+ goals per season, with multiple years left on their contract and under the age of 32 with a cap hit not more than Havlat's. Find me a team willing to move such player for Martin Havlat though.

I really don't get why he's not on our #1 PP unit though. Matt Cullen is on his ES line and goes out there with the top-unit. Throw Havlat out there at RW. Who cares about the 2nd unit, we have Burns and Barker at the point, let them shoot the puck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Do you think Brunette will be back next season?

I think he'd be more productive here than really any other team in the NHL but I'm not sure the Wild bring him back. Or even if he's considering playing another season.
I'm expecting him to retire. Would put Mikael Granlund in his spot next season. I'm still not sold on Granlund being a center in this league, especially at the age of 19. However, he has top-6 skill.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:30 PM
mnwildgophers

Russo provides an update from practice...

Quote:
Lastly, one issue that we'll have to pay attention to is the way Martin Havlat is accepted by his teammates since the article the other day. He didn't exactly ingratiate himself to some teammates with his agent's comments. Some players I know for a fact weren't happy, and today, captain Mikko Koivu absolutely cursed him out for about 30 seconds on the bench during practice.

Havlat didn't want to talk about it, but apparently Koivu slammed the door and dropped a bunch of water bottles. Havlat told him to pick them up. Havlat and Koivu confirmed this. Koivu picked up the water bottles, all right, but the entire time he launched into Havlat while the winger sat on the bench and Koivu was preparing for a drill from the ice. Koivu said it was no big deal. But this was not just a normal practice incident, trust me.

That's not a good sign, so how do they respond to this? Koivu isn't happy with Havlat.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote