Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Alan Walsh once again proves that he's a classless tool

Old
10-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
It's not a bad sign either, IMO. This is what happens when you step out of line. Mikko's the captain, and he's going to call him out on it. This is Mikko challenging Havlat to step up, and now we see what he's made of. He's a pro athlete, so I'm sure he's got enough pride to realize he has to back up his words. The question is, will he start working harder on the ice?

Now if this gets worse over the coming weeks, it becomes a serious problem. But I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:47 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's not a bad sign either, IMO. This is what happens when you step out of line. Mikko's the captain, and he's going to call him out on it. This is Mikko challenging Havlat to step up, and now we see what he's made of. He's a pro athlete, so I'm sure he's got enough pride to realize he has to back up his words. The question is, will he start working harder on the ice?

Now if this gets worse over the coming weeks, it becomes a serious problem. But I'm curious to see how this plays out.
I agree, Mikko is the captain and he needed to step up. I have to think that Marty doesn't like Richards very much. I don't see why he did this. I agree that you're not happy about maybe not getting 1st PP time, but why go to the media? It never works out in your favor.

Now, I hope we don't have to trade Marty, and hopefully he decides to shut up and start producing. If we do have to trade him because of "cancerous" issues, we won't get a good return. I hope that it doesn't get that far because we need Marty's talent, we don't have enough talent as it is, so it would be a big blow if we *had* to trade him.

Like you said, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:56 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Russo provides an update from practice...

That's not a good sign, so how do they respond to this? Koivu isn't happy with Havlat.
It depends on what Mikko said. If he's challenging Havlat one would hope that Havlat tries to prove himself.

It's all really what Mikko said and in what context. It's hard to say what anyone's reaction would be because we all react differently. I would hope Mikko would know how to push Havlat's buttons to really get him going, in a good way.

BuddyMcCormick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:09 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
this latest round of ... complaining doesn't help Havlat's trade value at all, either, if he wants to waive his NMC.

Good luck with that next contract, Mr. Walsh, if your player doesn't pick it up and you don't shut up.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
I'd be happy to see Havlat moved, if we were getting a top-6 forward with proven ability to get 25+ goals per season, with multiple years left on their contract and under the age of 32 with a cap hit not more than Havlat's. Find me a team willing to move such player for Martin Havlat though.
Sounds like you just described Martin Havlat

Old
10-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Vashanesh
My best outfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Do you think Brunette will be back next season?

I think he'd be more productive here than really any other team in the NHL but I'm not sure the Wild bring him back. Or even if he's considering playing another season.
I should have split that up better. I was referring to Bozak's lines for this season - once Butch is back.

Honest answer on Bruno? If we're out of it at the deadline, he's gone 100%. If we're in the playoffs, he'll stick around and then Fletcher has a tough call.

He's a great player, and a better guy. But he just plain doesn't fit what this team needs. If Richards is still here next year, Bruno's gone. If we have a more D-first coach, then I think it depends more on whether or not Bruno retires.

I don't think he'll retire in either instance, personally. But it's possible.

As for Mikko and Havlat getting into a spat? GOOD! This team needs a little fire, and if the coach can't get it going for any length of time... Then it should be the captain getting these guys going.

One has to assume that Havlat said something that got Walsh to remind everyone that he's a jackass, and it's plain as day that players hate that crap. It's a childish response to a bigger issue. If you aren't getting the ice time you think you deserve, then you talk to the coach. You don't go crying to your agent so he makes a douchey press release whining that your coach doesn't treat you like a spoiled, rich, teenage girl.

If Havlat doesn't show a little fire, then he's not doing us any good. He sure as hell didn't respond to all this BS last night, and stopped doing the one thing that he's been doing that has led me to defend him: shooting.

It's one thing to be snakebit, it's one thing to be gripping the stick a bit too hard. It's another entirely to give up. And a single shot in 17+ minutes of ice time is purely unacceptable from a player of his caliber.

In short: put up or shut up.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Wild want to get younger and faster, and unfortunately Bruno is neither.

Old
10-29-2010, 03:14 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

also, bruno signed this most recent contract--and wanted to come back--because it was a lemaire team. i don't think he feels any particular loyalty to the new regime. he's gone.

Old
10-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

I believe he has said he was playing again next year, he just doesn't know if its for the wild or not.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:34 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Havlat just plain wasn't very good last night. It's not Richards fault when anything negative happens with the Wild.

I don't want to see Havlat getting moved. I want to see him challenged.

And we aren't one piece away from the Cup, so the idea of finding a winger for Mikko Koivu and a 37-year-old who's playing out his career on one leg is ridiculous. We need to find our top six for the next few years. Koivu, Bouchard, Cullen, Havlat, and Latendresse are pieces. Richards needs to find some combination involving those guys, and then find a complimentary player (or two).
One, people should not be babied. Two, the sign of a great player are to overcome their struggles which means this is put up or shut up time. Three, Havlat (through his agent) has not shown the signs of being anything other than a $5M secondary option and until that changes it is what it is. Work your ass off, convert on those chances and let your game do the talking. That's not on coaching, that's on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Do you think Brunette will be back next season?

I think he'd be more productive here than really any other team in the NHL but I'm not sure the Wild bring him back. Or even if he's considering playing another season.
He's the only one out of the UFAs I can see coming back, but thinking no.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:39 PM
grN1g

i think with brunette, and the wilds situation, We won't know until free agency if he's coming back or not.

to me, you go out and see if there is anyone better / worth it over brunette, if there isn't you re-sign him to another year, assuming he wants to come back here rather than going somewhere else, And hopefully he fully understands that and will be patient with us.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 06:23 PM
saywut

Quote:
Sounds like you just described Martin Havlat
Exactly what I was thinking.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post28602851

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
If we were actually trying to deal Martin Havlat, we'd want... well, Martin Havlat, or another 5-ish million dollar player capable of 25+goals and 60+ points in the prime of their career, with multiple years left on their contract.
Yeah, I just quoted myself.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Fn89

Was the anger directed at Havlat, or was Koivu mad about Miettenen. Seems like he was upset about his buddy being out indefinitely since they just found out and Havlat was there to take the brunt of it, as usual

Fn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Can we make a trade of 2010-11 Havlat for 2008-09 Havlat?

Yes I know, he had one bad game, it's still a little fun to rip on him.

Old
10-30-2010, 12:39 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsy View Post
Was the anger directed at Havlat, or was Koivu mad about Miettenen. Seems like he was upset about his buddy being out indefinitely since they just found out and Havlat was there to take the brunt of it, as usual
wut?

BuddyMcCormick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Thank you Allan Walsh for alienating Havlat from the team! Good job you ******! Hope this teaches you a lesson about playing with fire you ******!

******!

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2010, 09:19 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

That was my thought too, CT. A stunt like this can only hurt your player's reputation. After the bitter tweets from Chicago and now this, Havlat isn't looking very professional. (whether he has a right to complain or not, or if it's just his asshat agent).

Old
10-30-2010, 02:49 PM
State of Hockey

It would be a lot easier to rip Walsh right now if Havlat had even hint of chemistry with Cullen. It seems like Havlat's the only player on the team that plays in the same spot regardless if chemistry and success exists or not.

Bottom line: A player that's done nothing this year and for most of his career gets an automatic promotion from the 4th line to the 1st line over a player that has the best career per game numbers on the roster and is not meshing on his line and PP. I think only in Richard's world does that happen. Since Havlat hasn't shown the ability to jump-start himself, it's time for the coach to try instead.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
It would be a lot easier to rip Walsh right now if Havlat had even hint of chemistry with Cullen. It seems like Havlat's the only player on the team that plays in the same spot regardless if chemistry and success exists or not.

Bottom line: A player that's done nothing this year and for most of his career gets an automatic promotion from the 4th line to the 1st line over a player that has the best career per game numbers on the roster and is not meshing on his line and PP. I think only in Richard's world does that happen. Since Havlat hasn't shown the ability to jump-start himself, it's time for the coach to try instead.
I'm a little confused on who you are referring to but sadly, like you said, the coach might have to worry about his job right about now.

Its not that he's failing miserably, I mean we have a decent 4-4-2 record, its just that its alot easier to fire and hire one head coach than it is to trade a bunch of players, worry about cap hits etc etc.

Old
10-31-2010, 05:14 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

4-4-2 is not a decent record. It's 2 games below .500 and we're only 10 games in.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
4-4-2 is not a decent record. It's 2 games below .500 and we're only 10 games in.
It's probably just semantics, but I think it is decent, not good, but decent. 2 points out of the 8th seed.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Its decent. One win moves us from 12th to 10th. Imagine what a week could do.

Now, when it becomes 4-8-4, then there might be a problem, but as if right now, its recoverable.

Old
10-31-2010, 06:45 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
They need to play better, 2pts out of 8th means nothing if we are also 2pts out of last in the conference.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:24 AM
hkntsmn

Havlat Walsh Questions!!!

If Havlat forechecks and fires his agent he could stay otherwise trade him now or release him. If you release a player like Havlat does it still count against the cap? Do you still have to pay him if he is not playing at all?

hkntsmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkntsmn View Post
If Havlat forechecks and fires his agent he could stay otherwise trade him now or release him. If you release a player like Havlat does it still count against the cap? Do you still have to pay him if he is not playing at all?
You'd have to buy out his contract. 1/3 of the cap hit would count against the cap for double the remaining years left on it. (just off the top of my head, somebody correct me if I'm wrong; too lazy to look it up). The last thing we want is dead cap space for the next 10 years.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote