HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penner to the Leafs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2010, 06:46 AM
  #1
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Penner to the Leafs

is it really that far fetched? the Leafs and oilers are both rebuilding to certin extents, the Oilers are doing it with their young guys like Eberle Hall, and MPS while the Leafs are doing it by brining in established players like Kessel, Versteeg, Phaneuf, Giguere.

Penner fits exactly what the Leafs need a big LW who can play on a line with Kessel and score 30 goals.

the Oilers seem to need help on the D side of things which is something we have an excess of they also may want a younger winger to replace penner I am not sure.

The Leafs also have the cap space to get a deal done and with every passing day that space grows so money isn't an issue.

Seems to be a perfect fit but what would it take?

Luke Schenn is about as untouchable as it gets for the Leafs right now with the way he has played but other thern that I think most assets are moveable (except Kessel and Dion but that is obivious.)

so what would it take to bring Penner to the Leafs?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 07:59 AM
  #2
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▀¯█¯█¯██╱██¯█¯█¯█¯▀
 
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ====█|¯¯-¯¯
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,600
vCash: 70
I'd do Penner+2nd round pick +Omark+? to get Kadri

MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:03 AM
  #3
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,656
vCash: 500
Think about this for a second....



Now, Burke and Lowe may have resolved their fued, and Penner iis problably the exact player the Leafs need, but does anyone really believe that Burke would trade for Penner after all of the bad stuff he said about him and the contract he is currently on???

Meanwhile, Edmonton really isn't in a position where they should consider trading him for anything less than an equivalent level (or close to it) NHL defenceman. He's not a cap dump and they shouldn't be looking for picks/prospects, they have to find a hockey trade.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:11 AM
  #4
hatterson
Global Moderator
 
hatterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,275
vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Yea the guy above me hit it. Burke and Lowe have burried the hatchet, but it'd be pretty strange to see Burke trade for the guy he was ripping Lowe for offer sheeting.

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:17 AM
  #5
griz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by karzanPalani View Post
I'd do Penner+2nd round pick +Omark+? to get Kadri
are you nuts. that is a brutal proposal.you must be a closet leaf fan

griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:18 AM
  #6
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Meanwhile, Edmonton really isn't in a position where they should consider trading him for anything less than an equivalent level (or close to it) NHL defenceman. He's not a cap dump and they shouldn't be looking for picks/prospects, they have to find a hockey trade.
Beauchemin... 3.8 x 2 years.
D. Penner... 4.25 x 2 years.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:19 AM
  #7
jamz
Registered User
 
jamz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by karzanPalani View Post
I'd do Penner+2nd round pick +Omark+? to get Kadri
what

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:23 AM
  #8
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Think about this for a second....



Now, Burke and Lowe may have resolved their fued, and Penner iis problably the exact player the Leafs need, but does anyone really believe that Burke would trade for Penner after all of the bad stuff he said about him and the contract he is currently on???

Meanwhile, Edmonton really isn't in a position where they should consider trading him for anything less than an equivalent level (or close to it) NHL defenceman. He's not a cap dump and they shouldn't be looking for picks/prospects, they have to find a hockey trade.

1 the issue between Lowe and Burke is dead

2 even if it wasn't Lowe is not the oilers GM anymore so Burkie wouldn't be dealing with him.

3 do you honestly think Burke wouldn't like to aquire a big 30 goal 60 point LW to play with Kessel who is on a good contract of course he would and {enner fits all that

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:24 AM
  #9
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Beauchemin... 3.8 x 2 years.
D. Penner... 4.25 x 2 years.
done lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:30 AM
  #10
MDupont
 
MDupont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
done lol
only on fantasy island.

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:35 AM
  #11
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
1 the issue between Lowe and Burke is dead

2 even if it wasn't Lowe is not the oilers GM anymore so Burkie wouldn't be dealing with him.

3 do you honestly think Burke wouldn't like to aquire a big 30 goal 60 point LW to play with Kessel who is on a good contract of course he would and {enner fits all that
Do you honeslty believe that one of the league's most vocal GMs is going to trade for a player under a contract that he publiclally beraded for something to the tune of 2 years??? Another Edmonton player? maybe he trades for him, but not Dustin Penner under that offer-sheet contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Beauchemin... 3.8 x 2 years.
D. Penner... 4.25 x 2 years.
Beauchemin is a Burke favourite and is currently on the Leafs top shutdown pair with Phaneuf. Penner is a guy that Burke publicallly beraded for ~2 years because of the contract he signed (and is still playing under).

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:39 AM
  #12
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Do you honeslty believe that one of the league's most vocal GMs is going to trade for a player under a contract that he publiclally beraded for something to the tune of 2 years??? Another Edmonton player? maybe he trades for him, but not Dustin Penner under that offer-sheet contract.



Beauchemin is a Burke favourite and is currently on the Leafs top shutdown pair with Phaneuf. Penner is a guy that Burke publicallly beraded for ~2 years because of the contract he signed (and is still playing under).
the difference is at the time he signed the deal penner was considered overpaid that is no longer the case. I bet if he could Burke would give penner that contract today

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:40 AM
  #13
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Beauchemin is a Burke favourite and is currently on the Leafs top shutdown pair with Phaneuf. Penner is a guy that Burke publicallly beraded for ~2 years because of the contract he signed (and is still playing under).
IMO, Beauchemin should have become expendable the moment Phaneuf was acquired. Kaberle is unique, Schenn is young, Komisarek is different & possibly untradeable. Beauchemin has the most moveable contract and probably should be the guy to clear some cap space with (because the D/F cap space imbalance in T.O. is still pretty extreme).

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:41 AM
  #14
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDupont View Post
only on fantasy island.
or if the oilers hired mike milbury

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:42 AM
  #15
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
IMO, Beauchemin should have become expendable the moment Phaneuf was acquired. Kaberle is unique, Schenn is young, Komisarek is different & possibly untradeable. Beauchemin has the most moveable contract and probably should be the guy to clear some cap space with (because the D/F cap space imbalance in T.O. is still pretty extreme).
which is EXACTLY why finger is now a marlie

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:43 AM
  #16
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,678
vCash: 500
I don't think Oilers fans would want players that Leafs fans would be willing to give up for Penner.

I don't think Leafs fans would be willing to part with players that Oiler fans would want for Penner.

I think the Oilers would like a young player who can be part of the future. I think the Leafs should hold onto players like that, because they're still in a building stage despite their good start.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:45 AM
  #17
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
I don't think Oilers fans would want players that Leafs fans would be willing to give up for Penner.

I don't think Leafs fans would be willing to part with players that Oiler fans would want for Penner.

I think the Oilers would like a young player who can be part of the future. I think the Leafs should hold onto players like that, because they're still in a building stage despite their good start.
so what would you want for penner?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:46 AM
  #18
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
The Oilers biggest two needs are a potential top line center and a potential top line defender. The Leafs don't have a potential top line defender that fits in the age group that the Oilers would want, and don't have the depth at center to move the guy who could fill that role (Bozak), so I don't think this deal goes down.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 09:53 AM
  #19
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
which is EXACTLY why finger is now a marlie
That's 1 move. Now why is somebody making $4.5M on the bottom pairing?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:00 AM
  #20
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
That's 1 move. Now why is somebody making $4.5M on the bottom pairing?
because the D is so deep that somebody making a lot of money has to go on the bottom pair

Phaneuf Schenn, Komi, Beauchmin Lenda, Gunnar Kaberle thats a deep D core and when the D is that deep somebody is going to be on the bottom d pair and chances are they will be making more then a #5 d man should make.

it's called depth

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:29 AM
  #21
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
IMO, Beauchemin should have become expendable the moment Phaneuf was acquired. Kaberle is unique, Schenn is young, Komisarek is different & possibly untradeable. Beauchemin has the most moveable contract and probably should be the guy to clear some cap space with (because the D/F cap space imbalance in T.O. is still pretty extreme).
You couldn't be further from the truth. Beauchemin was expendable until Phaneuf was acquired. Before Phaneuf, Kaberle & Komisarek were our top pair. With Phaneuf, he & Beauchemin became our top pair and he's all of a sudden extremely valuable. Komisarek became the expendable player with Phaneuf here, as he was brought in to be on the top pair alongside Kaberle (and paid accordingly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
the difference is at the time he signed the deal penner was considered overpaid that is no longer the case. I bet if he could Burke would give penner that contract today
The last thing that Brian Burke will do is admit that he was wrong... he'd problably still be complaining about it if the NHL hadn't told him to shut his trap.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:31 AM
  #22
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 18,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
because the D is so deep that somebody making a lot of money has to go on the bottom pair

Phaneuf Schenn, Komi, Beauchmin Lenda, Gunnar Kaberle thats a deep D core and when the D is that deep somebody is going to be on the bottom d pair and chances are they will be making more then a #5 d man should make.

it's called depth
Come on.
Having a $4.5M D-man on the bottom pairing and 1 1st line calibre player isn't depth, it's mismanagement. One of the higher paid D should be leaving for additional forward depth or in a package for a high(er) end forward.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:32 AM
  #23
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Come on.
Having a $4.5M D-man on the bottom pairing and 1 1st line calibre player isn't depth, it's mismanagement. One of the higher paid D should be leaving for additional forward depth or in a package for a high(er) end forward.
and if Toronto could get a 1st line forward for Komisarek, they'd problably do it.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 10:54 AM
  #24
ERC91
Registered User
 
ERC91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Germany
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Hm, I personally would ask for Armstrong + .

But not now, but rather at the end of the season.

Then Pääjärvi or Hall should be able to play top line and we could add some grit to our third line.

X - Lander - Armstrong

Not sure what the+ might be. Would Gunnarsson be too much?

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:06 AM
  #25
gabeliscious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERC91 View Post
Hm, I personally would ask for Armstrong + .

But not now, but rather at the end of the season.

Then Pääjärvi or Hall should be able to play top line and we could add some grit to our third line.

X - Lander - Armstrong

Not sure what the+ might be. Would Gunnarsson be too much?
armstrong and gunnarson for penner is probably decent value wise but i cant see the leafs moving armstrong (or gunnarson) for that matter.

im not sure how high edmonton values penner? considering where they are right now id think they would be looking for younger players/prospects/picks.

what about sjostrom + caputi + gunnarson + maybe a late pick?

kulemin bozak kessel
penner grabs versteeg
mac brent armstrong
brown zig orr

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.