HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do we have in Alexandre Picard?

View Poll Results: What do we have in Picard?
A career AHLer 23 12.92%
A solid bottom pairing guy 149 83.71%
A solid 2nd pairing guy 6 3.37%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-28-2010, 11:39 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

vCash: 500
What do we have in Alexandre Picard?

He's young, has some good skills and size, and has played pretty well...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:45 AM
LyricalLyricist

Picard was also pretty good for ottawa at beginning of season but cooled off later on. I have a sens fan who didn't really like him much as the season progressed. They traded him and the team that acquired him, didn't bother to keep him. I think we need to be reasonable. He's likely a 6th-7th d-man and nothing more.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

He honestly surprises me, I expected a far more horrible player, well he's pretty decent actually, can't wait to see who'll be sitting when Markov will be back though...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Solid 6th or 7th dman for us, I keep forgetting he's still only 25.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Picard was also pretty good for ottawa at beginning of season but cooled off later on. I have a sens fan who didn't really like him much as the season progressed. They traded him and the team that acquired him, didn't bother to keep him. I think we need to be reasonable. He's likely a 6th-7th d-man and nothing more.
What do you feed him?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:49 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
If he was 30 it would be a different story, but I'm starting to believe he has a chance to be a solid bottom pairing guy for us going forward. He's a year younger than O'Byrne, and has clearly passed Ryan on the depth chart...

Old
10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
coolasprICE

Truth is, JM prefers Picard over O'byrne

So we should ask, is O'byrne a future AHL'er?

Will O'byrne end up traded?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:52 AM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I agree with this.. He's done a pretty decent job to start the season and for the most part hasn't been very noticeable which is good for a dman..

Question is what do the Habs do with O'Byrne when Markov returns since it looks like Picard will probably be the 7 dman? Traded for a pick? Waived?

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Tuggy

A 7th d-man who can fill in when injuries happen. He's played a limited role and he's done a good job.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:03 PM
That Habs Fan
CH fan in TO

Picard is still only 25, should be our 7th dman this year, bottom pairing guy going forward.

OByrne should be packaged with prospects/picks for a winger to play with Gomez and Gionta.

This team is too fast and too smart for a player like OByrne, OB deserves to play in the NHL somewhere else though.

That Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post
Picard is still only 25, should be our 7th dman this year, bottom pairing guy going forward.

OByrne should be packaged with prospects/picks for a winger to play with Gomez and Gionta.

This team is too fast and too smart for a player like OByrne, OB deserves to play in the NHL somewhere else though.
Somewhere in the west, hopefully....

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
MXD

7th D.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:24 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

excellent depth acquisition

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I think he has the potential to be a second pairing guy type player. He's only 25-years old and there are a lot of defenseman who don't hit their stride until their mid-late 20's.

I thought he'd be a little more offensive from what I'd previously seen (although the craptacular work of the second line aka Scott Gomez isn't really helping him combined with a lack of PP minutes), but his play in the defensive zone (what I was most worried about) has been terrific. Look at his stick lift and clear with less than two minutes to go in the game last night.

I'll admit he got caught a few times last night (2 on 1 which Subban broke up, Picard laid a pretty big hit on someone), and that's something he needs to watch. But in reality, with a pairing as young as Subban/Picard, you expect mistakes. But, together they are a combined +10. Ridiculous.

Take +/- for what you will, but Picard being ranked 5th in the NHL amongst defenseman definitely isn't a bad thing.

Also, Picards first pass is just awesome so far. He's so calm with the puck and that's something I didn't expect from the last handful of times I've seen him. He rarely makes a bad decision with the puck.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:39 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I think he has the potential to be a second pairing guy type player. He's only 25-years old and there are a lot of defenseman who don't hit their stride until their mid-late 20's.

I thought he'd be a little more offensive from what I'd previously seen (although the craptacular work of the second line aka Scott Gomez isn't really helping him combined with a lack of PP minutes), but his play in the defensive zone (what I was most worried about) has been terrific. Look at his stick lift and clear with less than two minutes to go in the game last night.

I'll admit he got caught a few times last night (2 on 1 which Subban broke up, Picard laid a pretty big hit on someone), and that's something he needs to watch. But in reality, with a pairing as young as Subban/Picard, you expect mistakes. But, together they are a combined +10. Ridiculous.

Take +/- for what you will, but Picard being ranked 5th in the NHL amongst defenseman definitely isn't a bad thing.

Also, Picards first pass is just awesome so far. He's so calm with the puck and that's something I didn't expect from the last handful of times I've seen him. He rarely makes a bad decision with the puck.
And that right there is the number 1 quality I look for in a defenseman...

Old
10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
He's young, has some good skills and size, and has played pretty well...
He's about what Mara was giving us before he hurt his shoulder. Solid #6-7 guy, he struggles in the defensiove zone at times but is pretty good at moving the puck and has shown a bit of a physical game. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Truth is, JM prefers Picard over O'byrne

So we should ask, is O'byrne a future AHL'er?

Will O'byrne end up traded?
I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't ask Gauthier already.We would all do the same,we are there to play and if we are always a healthy scratch eventually you get fed up and asked to be moved to a team that will use you

As for Picard,I think he could end up being a really good #5-6 for us

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHamps View Post

On the other hand, O'byrne brings the bruising style that we clearly need...but JM doesn't believe much in the need for physical players.

Old
10-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
On the other hand, O'byrne brings the bruising style that we clearly need...but JM doesn't believe much in the need for physical players.
I think Martin has a hard time having both Gill and O'Byrne in the lineup at the same time,with those 2 we are slower back there and our transition game isn't as good with first passes

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I think Martin has a hard time having both Gill and O'Byrne in the lineup at the same time,with those 2 we are slower back there and our transition game isn't as good with first passes
O'byrne is more mobile than Spacek or Hamrlik, though I agree he isn't a great puck mover.

I still think that if JM put faith in O'byrne that he'd add another dimension on defense, he had some stretches with Markov last year that he was a pillar back there.

Old
10-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Toro

Solid bottom pairing guy.

he will no doubt be in the way of Carle. Because Picard has done well i see no future for Carle here. They are very similar role playing Defeneman. Both will be bottom pairing mobile puck moving guys with limited toughness and physicality but steady2-way guys.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'm not sure if he's a "solid" bottom-pairing guy, but he's a good fill-in right now, and at a great price. But the sample size is so small, we shouldn't really get ahead of ourselves. He has lots of time left to lose our trust, but he's also young enough that he could further solidify his credentials and move up in our estimation. I wouldn't want to attach any expectations to him in either direction.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Habskrieg

He's decent, but until we try him in 1st or 2nd pairing, he'll just be a solid bottom pairing. We won't know otherwise.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I'm not sure if he's a "solid" bottom-pairing guy, but he's a good fill-in right now, and at a great price. But the sample size is so small, we shouldn't really get ahead of ourselves. He has lots of time left to lose our trust, but he's also young enough that he could further solidify his credentials and move up in our estimation. I wouldn't want to attach any expectations to him in either direction.
don't forget that Picard isn't some fresh rookie out of the AHL, he has some miles in the NHL already.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 01:03 PM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
O'Byrne is built for that style, but he doesn't use it much any more. JM doesn't believe in O'Byrne because he is still making rookie mistakes and his already fragile confidence goes the rest of the way down the drain after his first mistake. He has confidence issues and hasn't been able to fix them. I really like O'Byrne because he is big, a good skater, and a decent puck mover (when he isn't shaking in his skate boots the entire shift), but I think the only way he will be able to improve is if he gets a fresh start in another city.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote